EA Forums - Banner

Teach us something interesting

Prev13456
The quack of a duck doesn't echo

Replies

• HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    Why would a ducks quack not echo? It is a sound like any other, subject to it's waves bouncing off of solid objects.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/duckecho.asp

Do your research
  • MuleHeadJoe
    176 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Rabbit **** are located in front of the p e nis.

(why that last word is auto-censored but not the word ****, I'll never know)
  • empathy77
    4191 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Italian Traffic Police has two Lamborghini Gallado in service.
    l7476_large-1280_opt.jpg
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited December 2013
    I learnt the PhD thing today - if I ever get one, I know where I'm doing it...!

My random contributions:

"Hong Kong" is the only place name that you can say aloud without moving your tongue or lips.

"Reading" and "Polish" are the only words in the English language that change pronunciation when capitalised.

The length of your foot is equal to the distance between your elbow and wrist.

All calico (or tortoiseshell - same thing) cats are female, because colouring is carried on the X chromosome, and you need two different sets of colours to display a calico pattern. The only way for a male cat to be calico is if he has a second X chromosome as well as his XY. For the same reason, most ginger cats are male (but not all), as ginger is a recessive colour, so a female would have to inherit an unmutated ginger chromosome from each parent.

Cats have 1 less toe on their back paws (4) compared to their front paws (5).

I'm sure I know more things like this, but not when I'm on the spot!
  • jasonbd77
    238 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Over two dozen orchid species are native to Alaska. Hawaii is home to only three native species.
  • Epic_Tapper
    1036 posts
    edited December 2013
    Ok here's a true fact! :XD:

until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money in asia and siberia
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    In 2011 the total number of bullets fired by German police was 85, 49 being warning shots. In November 2012, 13 police in Cleveland, Ohio fired 137 shots at two suspects in just one chase. When the chase was over, both suspects were dead, shot 23 and 24 times respectively, and no gun was found in their vehicle.

• MissGrafin
    806 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    A group of cats is called a clouder.

If you removed all the empty space between the particles, the Earth and all on it would be about the size of a grapefruit..

• MuleHeadJoe
    176 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    "Hong Kong" is the only place name that you can say aloud without moving your tongue or lips.

False. You still have to move your tongue to make both the "k" and the "ng" sound.
    "Reading" and "Polish" are the only words in the English language that change pronunciation when capitalised.

"Reading" is not pronounced any differently than "reading" ... "Polish" is only pronounced differently from "polish" when it refers specifically to things from or of Poland. You can start a sentence with the word 'Polish' and be referring to metal polish.

False. I just measured me own bits and there's a 2 inch difference.
    All calico (or tortoiseshell - same thing) cats are female, because colouring is carried on the X chromosome, and you need two different sets of colours to display a calico pattern. The only way for a male cat to be calico is if he has a second X chromosome as well as his XY. For the same reason, most ginger cats are male (but not all), as ginger is a recessive colour, so a female would have to inherit an unmutated ginger chromosome from each parent.

I don't know, haven't researched it ... but based on your track record so far, I'd lean towards false :-D

Most cats have 5 toes on each of their 4 feet. Their hind feet are elongated and one toe is further back on the foot than the other 4. Some cats have extra toes (polydactylism).
    I'm sure I know more things like this, but not when I'm on the spot!

Keep plugging away, eventually we'll get to something both interesting and true! ;-)
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    MissGrafin wrote:

If you removed all the empty space between the particles, the Earth and all on it would be about the size of a grapefruit..

a group of cats can also be called a "Glaring"
  • MuleHeadJoe
    176 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Killing zombies in the pipe is an actual technical procedure. In Unix you can man man but you can't man woman.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    A Formula One car has enough downforce to drive upside down.
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    MissGrafin wrote:

a group of cats can also be called a "Glaring"

a group of cats can also be throw at you by crazy cat lady
    simpsons-cat-lady.jpg

Annnnnnyway. There are more stars in the universe than there are atoms in our galaxy.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    emmcee1 wrote:

i have heard this before but would love to see it tested.
    maybe on some sort of track that does a gradual spiral.
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    A gecko is the only lizard with a sound.
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:

Agreed, if this is possible I believe all F1 races should be upside down.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    emmcee1 wrote:
    A gecko is the only lizard with a sound.

Yea and they sound British and keep trying to sell you car insurace
  • Arlandria606
    519 posts
    edited December 2013

False. You still have to move your tongue to make both the "k" and the "ng" sound.

No, you don't. In the course of normal speech you would, but that doesn't mean that you have to. Try it. I have.

"Reading" is not pronounced any differently than "reading" ... "Polish" is only pronounced differently from "polish" when it refers specifically to things from or of Poland. You can start a sentence with the word 'Polish' and be referring to metal polish.

Wrong again. Reading is a place in Berkshire in the UK. It's pronounced like Otis Redding, to rhyme with shredding. And yes, the non-proper nouns can be used at the beginning of the sentence to retain pronunciation and gain capitalisation, but that's capitalisation for a different reason.

False. I just measured me own bits and there's a 2 inch difference.

I said your foot, not your bits.

Pics or you're lying.

I don't know, haven't researched it ... but based on your track record so far, I'd lean towards false :-D

You don't know so you'll presume I'm wrong? Take your head out your backside and Google it to discover the full extent of your wrongness.

Most cats have 5 toes on each of their 4 feet. Their hind feet are elongated and one toe is further back on the foot than the other 4. Some cats have extra toes (polydactylism).

So you're saying that some cats have an anomaly that means they have extra toes? Well, yeah. Okay. If I said humans had 10 fingers and toes I'm sure you'd argue that SOME people have more or fewer just so I would be "wrong".

But hey, don't give up! Keep plugging! I'm sure eventually you'll say something both rudely patronising AND correct!
  • emmcee1
    8388 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    HCoinslot wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:

Doesn't just have to be F1 cars, you just have to be Michael Schumacher aka The Stig

Check out this upside down driving.

• NeiltonSantos11
    1113 posts
    edited December 2013
    emmcee1 wrote:
    HCoinslot wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    emmcee1 wrote:

Doesn't just have to be F1 cars, you just have to be Michael Schumacher aka The Stig

Check out this upside down driving.

Dayummmm, I couldn't even pull that off in a video game
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.