EA Forums - Banner

New Community Prizes LANDMARKS

Replies

• indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited December 2013
    That also disproves the notion of a fake counter. If the counter is fake and they want to give us the prizes, why change the milestones?

Nope, I stand by my original theory, that the counter is fake. Didn't you notice how the community total suddenly, mysteriously lurched forward to the tune of about 100 mill just at the time the totals to reach each community prize were changed?

I've also noticed that no matter what time of day or night I happen to log in, that community counter keeps ticking upward at exactly the same rate. Like something that's totally automated, and has nothing to do with players' actual behavior.

But whether I'm right or wrong about that, this much seems like a pretty safe bet: we will be getting all of the community prizes. :mrgreen:
  • MissGrafin
    806 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    MATH!?!?

medium_homer_screaming_in_stress.jpg
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited December 2013
    That also disproves the notion of a fake counter. If the counter is fake and they want to give us the prizes, why change the milestones?

Nope, I stand by my original theory, that the counter is fake. Didn't you notice how the community total suddenly, mysteriously lurched forward to the tune of about 100 mill just at the time the totals to reach each community prize were changed?

I've also noticed that no matter what time of day or night I happen to log in, that community counter keeps ticking upward at exactly the same rate. Like something that's totally automated, and has nothing to do with players' actual behavior.

But whether I'm right or wrong about that, this much seems like a pretty safe bet: we will be getting all of the community prizes. :mrgreen:

Even if it doesn't outright disprove it it is a huge argument against it's existence.

Your observations could be explained by a lot of different things. What we actually know says an awful lot.

Answer this, please: If EA is using a fake counter, why bother changing the milestones since they could just manipulate the rate of the fake counter to match them?
  • T1mSO
    3 posts
    edited December 2013
    Very good news indeed!
  • LPNintendoITA
    11661 posts Member
    edited December 2013

Even if it doesn't outright disprove it it is a huge argument against it's existence.

Your observations could be explained by a lot of different things. What we actually know says an awful lot.

Answer this, please: If EA is using a fake counter, why bother changing the milestones since they could just manipulate the rate of the fake counter to match them?
    if it's true how did we jump from 200 last night to 390 now? we're going to get the 1st price either today or tomorrow
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • fastdan1
    655 posts
    edited December 2013

if it's true how did we jump from 200 last night to 390 now? we're going to get the 1st price either today or tomorrow

I agree. I don't think we all suddenly started dropping gifts at a much higher rate.
  • LPNintendoITA
    11661 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    fastdan1 wrote:
    I agree. I don't think we all suddenly started dropping gifts at a much higher rate.
    the heck? it's at 401kk now O_O
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • spreadpanic4
    59 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    My counter is climbing rapidly... around 1 million every couple of seconds, but then jumping back down. It went from 360 million to 425 million in a matter of minutes, but now is back down to 402 million. I think this gives a lot of weight to the "counter is fake" arguments, and they are fine-tuning the rate to make sure we a) get the prizes but b) panic enough that they get some donut sales out of it. Regardless, I don't trust the counter, nor am I going to worry about it. We will get the prizes one way or another.
  • jennylynj21
    1305 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    fastdan1 wrote:
    the heck? it's at 401kk now O_O

:shock:
  • marco_rosa833
    366 posts
    edited December 2013
    Because they know that players like us are scrutinizing the legitimacy of the counter and watching the numbers carefully.

If they lower the goals, no one will cry "fake". If they raise the tick rate, unless they starting giving us exponentially more gift bags to match, everyone will cry "fake".
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited December 2013

Exactly. A fake counter would not be doing what this counter is. The most obvious solution, to me at least, is that EA screwed up and is going through a couple different fixes to see what corrects the problems to make the goals obtainable, whether that is a) artificially boosting the count, b) double-counting bags, c) making bags easier to obtain, d) lowering goals, or some combination of those. With a fake counter you would just calculate when you want the goal to be obtained, adjust the rate and be done with it.
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited December 2013
    Because they know that players like us are scrutinizing the legitimacy of the counter and watching the numbers carefully.

If they lower the goals, no one will cry "fake". If they raise the tick rate, unless they starting giving us exponentially more gift bags to match, everyone will cry "fake".

Why go to all that trouble then? Again, if the counter is fake then this is the most stupidly run fake counter in the history of fake counters. An EA screw-up is way more believable.
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited December 2013

As an experienced programmer I can give you a very logical answer: because it's much easier to bump the community total and change the milestones than to alter, test and debug the code that runs the (IMO fake) community counter.

It's exceedingly easy to write a chunk of code that'll make a counter increment in identical fractions every second. It's a bit more work, and a LOT more testing, to create a chunk of code that'll make a counter appear to increment in random amounts at random times.

(And I guess you already know - it's also considerably more work to create a counter that actually polls users' game sessions to keep track of the actual totals)

And if they already wrote it the first way, there's no easy way to change it to the second way. But it would still be simple to keep the first type of counter, bump the community total and change the milestones.
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited December 2013
    Exactly, if the counter is so transparently false then why even bother changing the milestones?

I don't really care one way or the other but the suggestion that it is real because of the milestone switch is difficult to ignore.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    May i ask, why does it matter if it's fake or real? Either way we get the prizes so it doesn't matter!
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited December 2013

As an experienced programmer I can give you a very logical answer: because it's much easier to bump the community total and change the milestones than to alter, test and debug the code that runs the (IMO fake) community counter.

It's exceedingly easy to write a chunk of code that'll make a counter increment in identical fractions every second. It's a bit more work, and a LOT more testing, to create a chunk of code that'll make a counter appear to increment in random amounts at random times.

And if they already wrote it the first way, there's no easy way to change it to the second way. But it would still be simple to keep the first type of counter, bump the community total and change the milestones.

I am also a programmer and I can think of countless ways to code the counter.

One that involves hard-coding the counter is just about the stupidest way to program it. Have all the rates as input variables from the database used by the app then run a simulation in your development environment. If the code was fine before it will still be fine now. Adjust until you get it right then change to those on the live server(s)
  • Excruciator69
    697 posts
    edited December 2013
    May i ask, why does it matter if it's fake or real? Either way we get the prizes so it doesn't matter!

Because we love to argue.
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013

Because we love to argue.

Well said. This should replace "this game is life-ruiningly fun!" up at the top
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited December 2013
    I am also a programmer and I can think of countless ways to code the counter.

Then you should also know how extremely risky and ill-advised it is to make any change that's not absolutely necessary (e.g., a bug fix) to a chunk of code running on a live game that people are actively playing, and you should also know that if the counter were truly an accurate reflection of actual player activity, it wouldn't keep ticking forward at a steady rate no matter the hour of day or night.

You should also know that if it were polling and collecting actual user data, it would not be possible for the counter to go up, then back down, then back up again, as many players are seeing.

But ultimately, I'm with the commenter above: it doesn't matter if it's real or not, we're getting the prizes. I only raised the matter to try and calm some posters' nerves over this silly counter obsession.
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited December 2013

(And I guess you already know - it's also considerably more work to create a counter that actually polls users' game sessions to keep track of the actual totals)

EA has already revealed they have in fact created a counter that polls community game sessions sometime late last year when they recorded and published the number of Kwik-E-Marts and Krusty Burgers constructed in the game to date, donuts used and a couple other similar totals. IIRC they were touting something like more Kwik-E-Marts in the game than real 7/11s in the US (or it could have been Krusty Burger's and McDonald's, I can't remember exactly). So the code to do the counting has existed for a long time, it makes sense then that they would use that same thing to set the community prizes. If the difficulty of building the counter is the main evidence for its being fake then I don't really find that all that persuasive.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.