EA Forums - Banner

What's for dinner?

Prev1
I'm going over to the in-laws for king crab. It's been a tradition for them for years and I enjoy it sooo much. Gonna eat a couple pounds of crab tonight.

Replies

• NeiltonSantos11
    1113 posts
    edited December 2013
    All my family is having turkey except me, I'm the odd 1 out having steak :P
    I hate turkey
  • MegaIllusiveMan
    154 posts
    edited December 2013
    Pancakes, turkey, soda
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    Pancakes, turkey, soda

check out this maple syrup recipe I'm going to make it in the morning:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/whiskey-bacon-coffee-syrup-pancakes-recipe-0114

actually I think the "whiskey-bacon-coffee-syrup" in the url sums it up properly. Not for pancakes though, pancakes are just the lazy mans waffle.
  • CoffeeMars
    1058 posts
    edited December 2013
    When I work the holidays people will go to moms and spend the night. When I get off work I go there and they all wake up while moms making breakfast. Nothing fancy pancakes, turkey bacon, eggs, hashbrowns etc.

I'll more than likely squeeze a nap at moms cause I have another 12 hour over night shift..

Our big dinner this year will be the 26th, which is when I'm finally off.
    A smaller version of thanksgiving. Turkey, turkey ham, Mexican tamales, green bean casserole, beets, mashed potatoes, candied baby carrots, Turon (Filipino dish) etc etc
  • snowyriver32
    1528 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    CoffeeMars wrote:
    When I work the holidays people will go to moms and spend the night. When I get off work I go there and they all wake up while moms making breakfast. Nothing fancy pancakes, turkey bacon, eggs, hashbrowns etc.

I'll more than likely squeeze a nap at moms cause I have another 12 hour over night shift..

Our big dinner this year will be the 26th, which is when I'm finally off.
    A smaller version of thanksgiving. Turkey, turkey ham, Mexican tamales, green bean casserole, beets, mashed potatoes, candied baby carrots, Turon (Filipino dish) etc etc

Yum! sounds delicious! especially the tamales and green bean casserole :-)

We're having pizza for our meal tonight and tomorrow will be the big meal.
  • simbass7
    1928 posts New member
    edited December 2013
    12 dishes are served as a reminder of the 12 Apostoles on Christmas Eve, 24 December. Polish people don't eat meat on this day, instead they choose from variety of fish and vegetable dishes. The meal begins when the first star is seen. An extra place is left at the table for an unexpected guest
    barszcz (beetroot soup) with uszka (small dumplings) - a classic Polish Christmas starter.
    Carp with potato salad, carp in aspic etc. Carp provides the main component of the Christmas Eve meal across Poland.
    ?ledzie - pickled herring
    Rollmops
    Pierogi with sauerkraut and forest mushrooms; filled with cottage cheese and potatoes
    Zupa rybna - fish soup
    ?urek - soup made of soured rye flour and meat
    Zupa grzybowa - mushroom soup made of various forest mushrooms
    Bigos - savory stew of cabbage and meat
    Kompot - traditional drink a light, refreshing drink most often made of dried or fresh fruit boiled in water with sugar and left to cool and infuse.
    Go??bki - cabbage rolls
    Pieczarki marynowane - marinated mushrooms
    ?oso? - salmon, often baked or boiled in a dill sauce.
    Kopytka - potato dumplings
    Kartofle gotowane - simple boiled potatoes sparkled with parsley or dill
    Kulebiak - with fish or cabbage and wild mushrooms filling
    Ryba sma?ona or ryba po grecku - fried fish laid under lyers of fried shreded carrots, onions, root celery and leek
    Sa?atka jarzynowa - salad made with boiled potatoes and carrots with fresh peas, sweetcorn, dill cucumber, and boiled egg, mixed with mayonnaise
    Galaretka - jellied pig's feet or cold legs.
    Faworki - Angel wings
    P?czki
    Kutia - sweet grain pudding with dried fruits and various nuts / in the eastern regions (Bia?ystok)
    ?amaniec - type of flat and rather hard pancake that is soaked in warm milk with poppy seeds. Eaten in eastern regions such as around Bia?ystok
    Sernik - cheesecake
    Makowiec - poppy seed cake roll
  • bkopp1
    353 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Ham
    Dressing
    Cheesy Potatoes
    cheese, sausage, crackers
    candy
    rolls
    broccoli rice cassarole
    green bean cassarole
    pies
    beverages of their own bringing

Happy Holidays all........
  • laurieadunn1
    75 posts
    edited December 2013
    Christmas dinner is actually at my grandparents' place this year, and it's the first time in about 5 years that I'm cooking a thing. Menu consists of turkey, roast beef, and perogies, with carrots, peas, mashed potatoes, sweet potato and turnip on the side. Dessert will be a hodgepodge of pies and cheesecakes. Should have about a frozen family members there for that, so it should be a good time.

Boxing Day, I'm doing my own turkey dinner, with stuffing, carrots, parsnip and other assorted veggies, followed by more turkey soup on the 27th. Not really expecting anyone over, but I'll eat turkey for days and be happy with it; I'll freeze the meat and toss it in with pasta or casseroles instead of beef.

New Year's Day is going to be the true test. I want to get a duck and oven roast it, which is something I've never had or cooked before. Any thoughts or suggestions on what to do with it, anyone?

Merry Christmas, all! Whatever you're doing, whoever you're with, may you be happy, warm, and loved.
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited December 2013
    Boxing Day, I'm doing my own turkey dinner, with stuffing, carrots, parsnip and other assorted veggies, followed by more turkey soup on the 27th.

I wanted to try it at xmas but I've been coerced into making pork. :?

I'll have to make up an excuse to roast a bird soon.
  • MegaIllusiveMan
    154 posts
    edited December 2013
    HCoinslot wrote:
    Pancakes, turkey, soda

check out this maple syrup recipe I'm going to make it in the morning:

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/food-for-men/whiskey-bacon-coffee-syrup-pancakes-recipe-0114

actually I think the "whiskey-bacon-coffee-syrup" in the url sums it up properly. Not for pancakes though, pancakes are just the lazy mans waffle.

Looks delicious!

About to start dinner now! Merry X-Mas and happy holidays to everyone!
  • mwdalton
    11549 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Baked ham, as far as the eye can see. I've had three different ham dinners so far the last couple of days, and I'm gearing up for one more on Christmas Day here, before I live off the leftovers for a month.
  • bee88161
    2976 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    We have Christmas lunch, we spend it with my dads side, big eating Italians lol. There is about 30 of us so the amount of food is ridiculous. We keep a tradition where family members make their signature dish every year so our menu consists of:

Lasagne from scratch
    Pastas
    Garlic potatoes
    Chicken schnitzel
    Spinach and cheese pie
    Garlic prawns and baby octopus on the BBQ
    Steaks and sausages
    Christmas ham
    Pork belly
    Roast beef with potatoes, pumpkin and sweet potatoes
    Collie flower and cheese
    Pigs in a blanket
    A large selection of salami and cheese
    Different salads
    Lots of bread with balsamic vinegar
    Chocolate and Tia Maria cheese cake (that's my dish 8) )
    Fruit cake
    White Christmas
    Trifle
    Pavlova

I'm probably missing a few dishes, too many to remember lol.
  • portpower18
    176 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Left overs from lunch
  • moxxee
    7697 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    An entire pint of Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge ice cream.
  • ebenbane
    188 posts
    edited December 2013
    Green salad with pepper crusted slab bacon, goat cheese, mustard vinaigrette
    Collard greens

Butternut squash bisque

Foie, bavette, garlic butter.
    Dungeness
    Gnocchi, parmesan, shallot cream sauce.
    Roast lamb
    Risotto Milanese
    Brussels sprouts, prosciutto, garlic, asiago.
    Roasted garlic focaccia with rosemary oil and balsamic
    Potato au gratin

Brulee
    Chocolate mousse with irsh cream
    Apple torte

Several 16 and 18 year old scotches
    Craft beer
    Assorted wines
    Assorted spirts and cocktails

• ebenbane
    188 posts
    edited December 2013
    simbass7 wrote:
    12 dishes are served as a reminder of the 12 Apostoles on Christmas Eve, 24 December. Polish people don't eat meat on this day, instead they choose from variety of fish and vegetable dishes. The meal begins when the first star is seen. An extra place is left at the table for an unexpected guest
    barszcz (beetroot soup) with uszka (small dumplings) - a classic Polish Christmas starter.
    Carp with potato salad, carp in aspic etc. Carp provides the main component of the Christmas Eve meal across Poland.
    ?ledzie - pickled herring
    Rollmops
    Pierogi with sauerkraut and forest mushrooms; filled with cottage cheese and potatoes
    Zupa rybna - fish soup
    ?urek - soup made of soured rye flour and meat
    Zupa grzybowa - mushroom soup made of various forest mushrooms
    Bigos - savory stew of cabbage and meat
    Kompot - traditional drink a light, refreshing drink most often made of dried or fresh fruit boiled in water with sugar and left to cool and infuse.
    Go??bki - cabbage rolls
    Pieczarki marynowane - marinated mushrooms
    ?oso? - salmon, often baked or boiled in a dill sauce.
    Kopytka - potato dumplings
    Kartofle gotowane - simple boiled potatoes sparkled with parsley or dill
    Kulebiak - with fish or cabbage and wild mushrooms filling
    Ryba sma?ona or ryba po grecku - fried fish laid under lyers of fried shreded carrots, onions, root celery and leek
    Sa?atka jarzynowa - salad made with boiled potatoes and carrots with fresh peas, sweetcorn, dill cucumber, and boiled egg, mixed with mayonnaise
    Galaretka - jellied pig's feet or cold legs.
    Faworki - Angel wings
    P?czki
    Kutia - sweet grain pudding with dried fruits and various nuts / in the eastern regions (Bia?ystok)
    ?amaniec - type of flat and rather hard pancake that is soaked in warm milk with poppy seeds. Eaten in eastern regions such as around Bia?ystok
    Sernik - cheesecake
    Makowiec - poppy seed cake roll

Wow, I would absolutely love to share that meal!!!!
  • simbass7
    1928 posts New member
    edited December 2013
    ebenbane wrote:
    Wow, I would absolutely love to share that meal!!!!

:)
    potrawy_wigilijne.jpg
  • CoffeeMars
    1058 posts
    edited December 2013
    I think I might lick the screen :lol:

Can you guys believe no one brought food to work ?! :shock:
  • Undaunted-001
    2295 posts
    edited December 2013
    CoffeeMars wrote:
    I think I might lick the screen :lol: :shock:
    lol as long as you save room for your dessert (which is your ipad screen) :lol:

The food here looks yummy :lol:
  • MissGrafin
    806 posts Member
    edited December 2013
    Ham, potatoes, stuffing, you know, all the fixin's!

Ham is a forbidden word in my house though, because this 'Ham' thinks we're talking about her and gets all up in our business.

image.jpg
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.