EA Forums - Banner

$200 CLUB

Yep, just re-upped....but if I am going to buy them than I am only doing the boatload. Better price per donut, they will be used. No point in wasting $10 here or there. Plus if I set aside $10 per week I have enough for my next boatload in 10 weeks, about the time I will run out if this continues as it has.

Replies

  • woodysimpson
    56 posts
    edited December 2012
    My reasoning as well. I considered waiting in case they do a Christmas discount and then i saw Dr. Nick...
  • adruralo
    3291 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I had slightly over 300 before the update. Just been on a spending spree and got one left.
    iPad Air M1 2022: iPhone 13 Blue.
  • thelawnet
    57 posts
    edited December 2012
    I'm not poor, but $100 on virtual money just seems wrong..... :evil:
  • lec0rsaire
    20 posts
    edited December 2012
    I can't believe someone would spend that much for what this game is and even brag about it,especially considering that virtual items are worthless and the fact that in a year no one will care about this game. They even give you all of the main characters for free. Don't get me wrong I think it's the best of its kind and arranging the town is fun but its shocking to me how people can throw money away for something that's not physical and that you don't eat,smoke or drink. Constantly spending donuts on speeding up progress and virtual characters is crazy. Even the devs laugh all the way to the bank. They even have a name for you guys, the "WHALES." Do a quick search on google for it. Sorry for being a little condescending but I don't like to see people's addictive behaviors exploited whether by a drug dealer, gambling or a freemium developer. I guess it's ok for kids but if you're an adult save your money or buy look for some value shares to buy. At least you'll have something to show for it after your fun with Tapped Out is exhausted.
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Or maybe you are an adult and have the disposable income to freter away on this. Best not to judge why a person does what they do and just be happy with your own life. Not to be condescending or anything, but really, how we spend our money and enjoyment is our choice.
  • barton1601
    12 posts
    edited December 2012
    I started with 307 and now I am tapped out
  • thelawnet
    57 posts
    edited December 2012
    mdfriend wrote:
    Or maybe you are an adult and have the disposable income to freter away on this. Best not to judge why a person does what they do and just be happy with your own life. Not to be condescending or anything, but really, how we spend our money and enjoyment is our choice.

    Sure.

    But he does have a point in that the game-designers target you

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2011/jul/26/freemium-mobile-games-whales

    They put this content out, people sink $100, $200 on it, and for that reason they have little interest in charging say $10 or $20, because people doing this who are willing to pay $20 will often spend $200 too. So that's what they go for.

    And yeah that's bad news if you want to spend only moderate sums.

    Key takeaways for me:

    1. avoid paying for freemium games unless the scope is very clear (e.g., pay $5 to unlock all content, $3 to remove ads, something like that, NOT $10 for x in-game gold, because if you go for that the developers will always try and hit you up for more)
    2. if you do play freemium games without clear pay scope, don't spend any money, because the economics of it inevitably dictate that there are only two real entry points - $0 and $200. Anything in between is just ****, because the developers know they can hook the $200 users, so they won't be impressed by your $20.

    The whales do harm moderate users, because their aggregate revenue is higher, in fewer transactions, than the moderate users, the moderate users can't afford to play.

    Truth is Tapped Out is a great game without the premium content, so much free stuff there. But paying for stuff is never going to make sense, because of the whales.
  • rs876
    874 posts
    edited December 2012
    Jeez. I only spent 24 donuts and then stopped. Spending $200 of my own money on virtual money is kind of crazy. But hey, if you have money to spend, I'll gladly PM you my Paypal info and you can give me some.
  • mdfriend
    1330 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    thelawnet, great points, but one thing I disagree on, is that EA actually targets the $10 to $20 dollar purchases more, you get one here or there, then you get another and before most people know it they have spent more in 6 months than $100 at once. Not always of course, but most of the time. I have read far too many times people saying they were stupid to not just have bought the boatload.

    As for the in game designers, well they are targeting everyone, not just the "whales". That is why I say to this day Ralph will be a premium character, they would be stupid not to make him one, way too many people will buy that little *ucker.

    Agreed, for a free game they offer a ton of content, in a way I think that is how they get away with ****, I mean charging so much for the premium things
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • battyguy
    1123 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    lec0rsaire wrote:
    I can't believe someone would spend that much for what this game is and even brag about it,especially considering that virtual items are worthless and the fact that in a year no one will care about this game. They even give you all of the main characters for free. Don't get me wrong I think it's the best of its kind and arranging the town is fun but its shocking to me how people can throw money away for something that's not physical and that you don't eat,smoke or drink. Constantly spending donuts on speeding up progress and virtual characters is crazy. Even the devs laugh all the way to the bank. They even have a name for you guys, the "WHALES." Do a quick search on google for it. Sorry for being a little condescending but I don't like to see people's addictive behaviors exploited whether by a drug dealer, gambling or a freemium developer. I guess it's ok for kids but if you're an adult save your money or buy look for some value shares to buy. At least you'll have something to show for it after your fun with Tapped Out is exhausted.

    Help the economy...
    Ahahhahahha. :twisted:
    Is there anyone out there?
  • Azurfale
    71 posts
    edited December 2012
    Simpson's has made me laugh since I was 10. 24 years later do I mind finally forking over a few dollars for that entertainment? Not really and the premium characters are worth it IMO.
  • elsie_d
    722 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    mdfriend wrote:
    Or maybe you are an adult and have the disposable income to freter away on this. Best not to judge why a person does what they do and just be happy with your own life. Not to be condescending or anything, but really, how we spend our money and enjoyment is our choice.
    thelawnet wrote:
    Sure.

    But he does have a point in that the game-designers target you

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2011/jul/26/freemium-mobile-games-whales

    They put this content out, people sink $100, $200 on it, and for that reason they have little interest in charging say $10 or $20, because people doing this who are willing to pay $20 will often spend $200 too. So that's what they go for.

    And yeah that's bad news if you want to spend only moderate sums.

    Actually, the article claims that this is good news for the majority of players:
    It means catering to the 10% of your audience who want to and enjoy spending money with you and allowing them to spend $10, $50, S500 or more. It means allowing 90% of users to experience your content for free for ever."
    This model appears to benefit more than it harms if people wish to play for free, they can since the developers make enough of a profit to continue offering freebies. Or am I misreading the quote?
  • lec0rsaire
    20 posts
    edited December 2012
    This kind of model becomes incredibly profitable because once a percentage of the players become addicted, they will continue to shell out large amounts of money. The best part is the low amount of investment required. This game is basically a flash or browser type game. It doesn't cost much to make and you don't need a huge team unlike "real" games like Halo 4 and Grand Theft Auto 5. The DLC/preorder model of that market is also being criticized by many although there you pay a low fixed amount for lifetime use of that content. At $65 with tax and maybe $10 of DLC it is a hell of a lot less than $200 for a game that takes as much effort as making a Hollywood blockbuster. You can also go on Craigslist and buy barely used copies for half price. This makes the freemium games in the app store more of a ripoff. The whole virtual goods market started with Everquest I believe, then ebay became flooded with all kinds of WoW crap (accounts,gold,swords,etc.).

    I don't see a benefit to everyone because freemium has significantly lowered the quantity of AAA games like Infinity Blade, Dead Space, Fifa 13,etc. in the store. Not everyone likes or plays FarmVille style games. These are generally played by casual gamers who don't really play on an Xbox or PC. I don't like them either but I was attracted to this one because Ive been watching the Simpsons for 20 years and its a good time waster during tv commercials!

    I'm not saying spending $5 or even $10 here is bad but $100 and upwards? EA and the others obviously encourage this otherwise they wouldn't have an option of $99 for donuts and smurfberries. Little kids especially cant resist buying smurfberries and donuts. Donuts=playing more=fun. A kid will make this conclusion very quickly haha! It is funny though whenever I get a free donut and Homer says "Mmm premium currency" haha.

    When I got my iPad I first spend $50:$30 on the iWork apps (keynote, pages, numbers), $15 on the ti ba-ii plus calculator app and $5 on GarageBand. With that I can edit my finance work, have my financial calc on me at all times and plug in my guitar with irig to record ideas when I'm traveling. To me that was a rational purchase. All that value with half the cost of a boatload.
  • thelawnet
    57 posts
    edited December 2012
    elsie_d wrote:
    Actually, the article claims that this is good news for the majority of players:
    It means catering to the 10% of your audience who want to and enjoy spending money with you and allowing them to spend $10, $50, S500 or more. It means allowing 90% of users to experience your content for free for ever."
    This model appears to benefit more than it harms if people wish to play for free, they can since the developers make enough of a profit to continue offering freebies. Or am I misreading the quote?

    It's good for the 90%, but bad for the 8%, IYSWIM. The 8% who might want to spend $10 or $20, total, are nudged out by the 2% who are willing to pay $200+.
  • woodysimpson
    56 posts
    edited December 2012
    Ahem. So it's just the two of us then...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.