EA Forums - Banner

Somethings I have to get off my chest

Prev1
I'm not an EA fan, but I've stopped complaining about premium items. I've noticed that at least once a year EA gives it's players the opportunity to earn lots of free donuts; last year it was Christmas, this year it was Halloween. That skin will be available when you finally purchase Barney, and now you have a good reason to want to get him.

Replies

• sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    First, congrats on the baby.
    I only have 13 donuts right now and I don't have the cash to buy more from ya. My wife and I had our first baby three months ago so where to you think all our money is going?
    Maybe some day you won't be so poor and can afford Barney. When that day comes, that free prize will still be waiting for you. Or perhaps his price will come down and you can scoop him up with free donuts you received from grinding through the game.
    I am not building 50 Krustyburgers just get a 5 star grub rating
    I, too, would not spend 1 million dollars on Krusty Burgers or Gulp N Blows to achieve that 5 stars. Alternatively, try a bunch of Coffee Karts and hide them behind your Squidport Buildings. Take pride in them not being seen.
    Then there is Squidport. Do you want people to have a boring Squidport? There are too many thing you need to buy using donuts.
    There are also all kinds of other non-premium decorations that can go on the boardwalks. With those and the use of fences as well as mixing up tile patterns can all contribute to making your Squidport unique.
    Oh well. I will continue to play.
    Yes, yes you will. We all will...
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
  • LennyAdd
    514 posts
    edited January 2014
    I agree with some of the things you said. Plow King Barney is also sitting in my inventory taunting me, but the desire to buy Barney will probably reduce once Christmas is over.

I don't have extra Gulp-N-Blows and only 2 KrustyBurger's, and I have 5 stars in Gluttony. Here's what I did until I bought Swanky Fish: put Coffee Karts behind buildings to improve your Gluttony rating.

Finally, I haven't spent any donuts on the wheel and only Skinner's House left, so you actually don't need to buy donuts to get the "cooler" stuff.

Good constructive feedback from you, maybe EA will see this and won't release another skin for a premium character. :)
  • ryandelpo
    96 posts
    edited January 2014
    If you wanted Barney you shoulda been playing when he was free, I can't believe a character like him cost donuts ...sucks for the new people playing
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    First, congrats on the baby.
    I only have 13 donuts right now and I don't have the cash to buy more from ya. My wife and I had our first baby three months ago so where to you think all our money is going?
    Maybe some day you won't be so poor and can afford Barney. When that day comes, that free prize will still be waiting for you. Or perhaps his price will come down and you can scoop him up with free donuts you received from grinding through the game.
    I am not building 50 Krustyburgers just get a 5 star grub rating
    I, too, would not spend 1 million dollars on Krusty Burgers or Gulp N Blows to achieve that 5 stars. Alternatively, try a bunch of Coffee Karts and hide them behind your Squidport Buildings. Take pride in them not being seen.
    Then there is Squidport. Do you want people to have a boring Squidport? There are too many thing you need to buy using donuts.
    There are also all kinds of other non-premium decorations that can go on the boardwalks. With those and the use of fences as well as mixing up tile patterns can all contribute to making your Squidport unique.
    Oh well. I will continue to play.
    Yes, yes you will. We all will...
    I love how you assumed this person is poor because they can't buy doughnuts... :?

You realize there are more important things to spend money on then a game right.
    Especially when a person has a baby. :roll:

If anything, EA is still living in a little illusion, thinking that we didn't have an economical recession, and that most of the players don't have money to spend on the game. Well at least not enough to play the game like it's intended to be played. Personally I have money to to buy doughnuts, but I am not about to pay them over $400 for an app game. It's entertaining, sure, but not $400's worth of it.

I noticed that most people who pay big bucks for this game have self control issues, or love instant gratification, which I have nothing against. I mean at the end of the day, thanks to those people the game is still being maintained (in some aspects barely). But charging the way they do is crazy, to say the least.

I've heard they made over $100 million over this games lifetime. With that much revenue coming in, I think they could've given Barney to people who didn't get him last year. The game gave him for free for gods sake. In fact I have other opinions on their premium system, but I won't get into that. Won't want the moderators to delete my post.
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • HCoinslot
    1186 posts
    edited January 2014
    Edit: comment removed as it obviously disturbed at least one of our forum members, my sincerest appologies
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Leilani2013
    238 posts
    edited January 2014
    Congrats on the baby. With one in grad school (Master of Psychology/Expressive Arts Therapy) and one in college (**** in Psychology/Education) planning on grad school, I regret to inform you that you will be broke for many years to come. But, I rejoice in the knowledge that the investment is well worth it. I only hope that when the time comes, they will choose the nicest of skilled nursing facilities to care for their parents. The good news is you can play this game without spending real world money. Ok I admit it is fun to drop a few bucks here and there, but you can still play without spending a dime. Enjoy the game, but remember that the baby will be grown before you know it.
  • sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    I love how you assumed this person is poor because they can't buy doughnuts...
    That was a poor choice of words. I meant no offense and genuinely apologize.
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    You realize there are more important things to spend money on then a game right.
    Especially when a person has a baby.
    I was the first one to offer my congratulations. And obviously there are important things to spend hard earned money on.

At the same time, aren't most of us in the same boat? We have jobs and obligations with bills to pay. We also spend money on more than necessities: cable TV, internet access, a nice evening out, movies at the theater, video games etc. We get to choose our entertainment. EA does provide a fun game, for free. If someone chooses to spend some of their paycheck to enhance a game they enjoy rather than playing a round or two of golf, it is their prerogative. But EA doesn't "owe" us anything.

It's their world and we're all just playing in it.
  • dankface13
    176 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I just wish they'd re-release some of the old stuff that us Android players never had a chance to get. Makes me sad tapper :-(
  • dmullen75
    89 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Hey neighbor,
    It all comes down to priorities. I have been playing since the game was released, with a small break when my ipod did not support an update, and I only recently 'purchased' donuts with a itunes gift card that my kids got for Christmas and didn't want. I also have the Plow King skin but I won't be buying the Bowlorama any time soon. As previous posters have stated there are events that are donut friendly and I also see plenty of true premium players complain about spending real money just to have items released for free soon after. If your priority is this game then you will find the funding but remember to enjoy your kid and try to use this as a platform of stress release and not more frustration. :D
  • i_set_fire
    328 posts
    edited January 2014
    How do you find enough time to play TSTO and make a post that long with a 3m old? When My daughter was 3m old my time was spent with her, sleeping, bonding with my equally exhausted wife, or "bonding" with my equally exhausted wife.
  • sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    i_set_fire wrote:
    When My daughter was 3m old my time was spent with her, sleeping, bonding with my equally exhausted wife, or "bonding" with my equally exhausted wife.

Had to read that twice, but I see what you did there... :lol:
  • elly_smile231
    47 posts
    edited January 2014
    sherryt07 wrote:
    I'm not an EA fan, but I've stopped complaining about premium items. I've noticed that at least once a year EA gives it's players the opportunity to earn lots of free donuts; last year it was Christmas, this year it was Halloween. That skin will be available when you finally purchase Barney, and now you have a good reason to want to get him.

This was an amazing response.. :)
  • XxTheNicksterxX
    32 posts
    edited January 2014
    i_set_fire wrote:
    How do you find enough time to play TSTO and make a post that long with a 3m old? When My daughter was 3m old my time was spent with her, sleeping, bonding with my equally exhausted wife, or "bonding" with my equally exhausted wife.

You can do things when the child is asleep. I have time durning the day. He is three months old and at that age they still tend to sleep a lot. I didn't mean to come off as a dad who doesn't spend time with his son. He comes first and I only play the game twice a day. One of those times being at 12 AM when I get home from work. Yeah, you read that right. 12 AM. I am a stay at home dad durning the day time and start work at 5 PM. Don't lecture me on bonding with my son. I take great pride and joy in him. He can stand up on his own now. He needs help with balance but can stand for a good period of time. If all babies can do that at three months then whatever. I still love him.

Thanks everyone for the ideas and the congrats. I thought the coffee carts were only for Squidport. The peanut carts can be used around Springfield. I do wish EA would realize that the recession isn't quit over yet. I wonder if someone from EA has read this post. Hm... Time will tell. :wink:
  • PatrickSays
    1140 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I think a good lesson here is to jump into games when they are just out in the market. Make sure to follow game boards and if iOS user - App Store top game lists. Barney was free. Lots of other buildings were free during prior events.

Also, you do not need 50! Restaurants for 5 star rating. About 3 krustys and 5-7 kwikemarts. Keep building till you have 5 stars. Nothing wring with multiples when you are a freemium player (don't spend donuts).
    First Year 2012 Player @ Game Level 939 & 3,200% XP
  • philippama998
    739 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I have payed 250 donuts aka 13euros for Barney. I'd be really angry if they make him free now again.

I dont get the OPs opinion: you see something that is tempting you so you expect someone else is giving it to you for free. There is a Mercedes dealer a few meters down the road from my house. I see their advertisement at least twice a day and i have the road i am travelling on tempting me. In your logic this would be enough to get in that store and claim a car for free. Expecting other people to work for you for nothing is commonly known under the term slavery, you take but you dont give.

So what was your point again?

Congrats to your baby, an exiting time lies ahead. I have a four and a one year old, so i understand where your money goes.
  • Undaunted-001
    2295 posts
    edited January 2014
    I have payed 250 donuts aka 13euros for Barney. I'd be really angry if they make him free now again.

I dont get the OPs opinion: you see something that is tempting you so you expect someone else is giving it to you for free. There is a Mercedes dealer a few meters down the road from my house. I see their advertisement at least twice a day and i have the road i am travelling on tempting me. In your logic this would be enough to get in that store and claim a car for free. Expecting other people to work for you for nothing is commonly known under the term slavery, you take but you dont give.

i know right! I got given air magic tree air freshener
    saxafforestfresh.jpg

That's just gona sit at home unless they give me that car too :wink:

@ O.P I kid, but that's marketing. They're gona entice you to buy barney.....it's ur choice to buy tho
  • philippama998
    739 posts Member
    edited January 2014

i know right! I got given air magic tree air freshener
    saxafforestfresh.jpg

That's just gona sit at home unless they give me that car too :wink:

@ O.P I kid, but that's marketing. They're gona entice you to buy barney.....it's ur choice to buy tho

Oh that made me laugh hard! :D
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited January 2014
    In the end it's only a game. I haven't got Barney either but only because I only buy premiums with a % boost and, as I started the game only a year ago I can't be a completionist so not having him doesn't bother me. The skin is clearly a ploy to get people to buy donuts to buy Barney. I haven't fallen for it and neither should you. Not having all the items doesn't make it less enjoyable ans as others have said your new family addition should be the priority.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited January 2014
    AJtheboss1 wrote:

If anything, EA is still living in a little illusion, thinking that we didn't have an economical recession, and that most of the players don't have money to spend on the game. Well at least not enough to play the game like it's intended to be played. Personally I have money to to buy doughnuts, but I am not about to pay them over $400 for an app game. It's entertaining, sure, but not $400's worth of it.

whilst i've spent money on the game i too can't justify spending $400 or more on a mobile game where i only play for a few minutes a day to set tasks up.

for $400 i could buy 4 or 5 brand new PC games and get 100's of hours out of them.. it's makes spending the $400 worth it.

i have friends in this game that seem to no longer play the game whos towns are full with premium items.. makes me think how many $100's of dollars are just wondering around a game that they no longer play.
  • Rooneytoon
    162 posts
    edited January 2014
    Well, sure, the doughnuts are far too expensive! And no one should spend money on it who has much more important things to buy. But I don't see a problem to get some once. Wish a gift card for birthday or christmas and use it for buying them..

Nothing is for free, especially a game like tapped out! If no one would buy doughnuts, the game would not exist anymore!
    So just play it for free and live with that you can't have some stuff. Why should EA care about the freemium players? It's a business and not a charitable society...

But anyway, I wish you all the best for your young family..
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.