EA Forums - Banner

More Land or Less Crashes: Why You Can't Have BOTH

I've got all the land & I don't have issues.

Replies

• indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited January 2014
    bren1960 wrote:

Then you have a device that can handle it. Not everyone does, I'm not saying this issue affects everyone, only those whose devices can't handle it.

While my game runs fine and my town loads fine, occasionally I'll have to stop visiting a neighbor because their town crashes my game, and that kind of crash is reported here pretty frequently, too.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    i just got a new phone i hope it can run this game

fx7PJcz.jpg
  • bren1960
    1631 posts
    edited January 2014
    bren1960 wrote:

Then you have a device that can handle it. Not everyone does, I'm not saying this issue affects everyone, only those whose devices can't handle it.

While my game runs fine and my town loads fine, occasionally I'll have to stop visiting a neighbor because their town crashes my game, and that kind of crash is reported here pretty frequently, too.

I have a neighbor that every time I go into their town my game crashes. I don't understand how that happens
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited January 2014
    bren1960 wrote:
    I have a neighbor that every time I go into their town my game crashes. I don't understand how that happens

Their town is too big and busy for your device to handle. It's not just a matter of having all the land, some people really pack every square inch of available land with animated decorations and leave their Springfielders just wandering around aimlessly all the time between events. Every one of those characters needs power and memory to be animated, and so do all the animated decorations (e.g., parade balloons, fountains, active buildings, SP fountain, ferris wheel, etc etc).
  • drprimo
    259 posts
    edited January 2014
    I don't think it always renders the entire town though, even if it is all loaded. For instance, many times when playing on my phone, when in an area with lots of buildings they will disappear when they get to the edge of the screen. I would assume this is the reason behind the lag we sometimes get when scrolling, as it is having to render a lot of items quickly. If my assumptions are correct, then it really shouldn't matter if land is added, at least to a certain point where the data with all your towns decorating would cause memory errors (which should not be anytime soon). At some point, they may need to up the specs to run the game, they have already done that at least once from what I remember.
  • TankGirl2925
    200 posts
    edited January 2014
    I would agree with this except that MaxxSpider has a valid point: get out of the stone age. Who is running on a device that is App capable and doesnt have at least 1GB free space?!?! My phone is maxed out on memory and my game hasn't crashed since last year, sept/october. ALSO, I have over 7,000 decorations in my town with no issues. (All land bought, no house farming, very nice layout, tons of park and trees).
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    I had tons of crashes lately, with my iPads 2. It was annoying as hell, and it was easy to blame the game, but the iPad was running slow lately all together. So I decided it was time to upgrade, and got the iPad Air. Since I upgraded the game never crashes, nor did any of my other apps that weren't running very well.

In conclusion, I think it could just be the device you're using. Even though the game DOES have stability issues from time to time, I doubt it's often enough for everyone to constantly have issues. So maybe just take look at the device you're using, it could just be that your device is getting outdated.
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • LanceUppercut808
    857 posts
    edited January 2014
    MaxxSpider wrote:

fx7PJcz.jpg

I just blew coffee out of my nose. :mrgreen:
  • indieauthorALH
    240 posts
    edited January 2014
    It doesn't matter what any ONE player's experience is, from the developer's perspective you want your app to work for the majority of devices that are currently out there and in use, and you definitely DON'T want to risk making any changes (like adding land that players can quickly fill with more animated content) that could make your app look buggy or broken to a signficant portion of players.

I'm not surprised to hear that more players with phones see issues than those who play on tablets, but to me the bigger question there is: how the heck can you even see what's going on in your town on that tiny screen? :shock:
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    It doesn't matter what any ONE player's experience is, from the developer's perspective you want your app to work for the majority of devices that are currently out there and in use, and you definitely DON'T want to risk making any changes (like adding land that players can quickly fill with more animated content) that could make your app look buggy or broken to a signficant portion of players.

I'm not surprised to hear that more players with phones see issues than those who play on tablets, but to me the bigger question there is: how the heck can you even see what's going on in your town on that tiny screen? :shock:

yes it is much better on a tablet
    screen is bigger and it is less laggy even though i don't find it laggy on my phone.
    but when i am at work i only have my phone so i have no choice but to use it.
    when at home i always play on an ipad
  • mdawny
    325 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    MaxxSpider wrote:

fx7PJcz.jpg

I just blew coffee out of my nose. :mrgreen:

Lmao :lol:
  • davo180
    14974 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    MaxxSpider wrote:

fx7PJcz.jpg

That's the same phone I use to play TSTO on :mrgreen:
  • TT_Degnan
    471 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    bren1960 wrote:

Their town is too big and busy for your device to handle. It's not just a matter of having all the land, some people really pack every square inch of available land with animated decorations and leave their Springfielders just wandering around aimlessly all the time between events. Every one of those characters needs power and memory to be animated, and so do all the animated decorations (e.g., parade balloons, fountains, active buildings, SP fountain, ferris wheel, etc etc).

I believe that is the key - the amount of stuff, especially animated stuff, packed so closely together that tons of its shows on screen at once.

I do fully agree that the entire town is loaded into memory at once.
    Noting the distinction between free storage on the device and free system memory on the device, with the latter being where the town is loaded. Although that distinction is more blurred these days than back in my day when the only things you code run code on were PCs and mainframes, and the storage was disc drives and memory was RAM.
    But I distract myself down memory lane...

The rendering of the on screen objects is stressing the processing power of the device.

A lesser powered device will struggle to keep up, and either get laggy, or at worst, crash.

I have a few forum regulars who I am lucky enough to have on my friends list.

One or two in particular, have every inch of land bought, and have every single decoration that I think has been released.

BUT. Their towns are laid out with lots of gaps between buildings.
    Those gaps are filled, but with static stuff like trees and fences.
    Their towns never cause my device (ipad3) any problems.

Other friends have less land, but have shed loads crammed into what they do have.
    If anything is going to cause me to crash, it's them.
    Especially when throwing in other animated random stuff like presents and ghosts.

So. After all my rumblings, I kinda agree with your premise. :)

I don't think extra land in itself would be too much of an issue, but it would give people even more opportunity to cram more and more onto it, which would.
    IF people used the extra land to spread things out, without adding anything extra, it could even make things more stable :-)
    But human nature being what it is, I can't see people using it like that :lol:
  • annettemarc
    7731 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Is there a reason that when a town has a lot of water, it crashes more? Not fountains ... Just water. Is the water "animated"?

Meanwhile, i Guess I gotta store some of my reindeer. Shoot.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Dominicanbred
    90 posts
    edited January 2014
    With the stability issues now it's almost as if we do have more land. I do understand that some of my friends towns and how they have it set up has caused my game to crash or stall but its not as frequent as say when we have these event updates and the Xmas update was bad with this. I have my town pretty spread out and not crammed with decorations and etc. I use a galaxy S3 and this xmas update was the 1st time I had major issues with my game. Such is life..
  • DIrishBdo
    57 posts
    edited January 2014
    Two of the most common complaints I see here are about the game crashing/being buggy and not having enough land. Here's the problem: (assuming there will NOT be a ground-up rewrite of the app) Adding more land would exacerbate the crashing problem.

This is because when the game loads it loads your ENTIRE Springfield. It dumps the entire thing, with animations, building and decoration files, character status info for ALL characters, etc. right into your device's temporary memory. That's why you can easily swipe all around in your town and never have to wait for each section to render. Oh sure, sometimes there are glitches where something doesn't render fully, or the wrong item is displayed (e.g., seeing bits and pieces of Moe's where one of my fountains should be), but it's loading your ENTIRE town, EVERY time you use the app. It takes a lot of memory and processing power to load what is essentially a very large, animated graphic with lots of animated gifs (characters) sprinkled all over it.

Hence, people whose devices don't have enough memory, processing power or battery power start to experience crashes. I'm not saying ALL crashes are the result of this, but an awful lot of them are. And with every major update, the game gets bigger and more complex and people whose devices were previously 'on the bubble' find they're starting to have crashes, too.

So pick your poison:
    1) more land + crashes
    2) fewer crashes + no new land

EA has obviously opted for the second, and that's what I'd do in their place, too. Why risk alienating ALL players and making your app look buggy just to please the small minority who are demanding more land?

I understand the game must get boring for long-timers who've totally built out their SFs, but wouldn't a better solution be for EA to develop more quests and levels with earnable prizes, like we have during special events? Wouldn't that keep the game interesting for everyone?

Thank you for making this thread. Puts into words exactly my opinion on those the subjects.
  • cara252
    199 posts
    edited January 2014
    how the heck can you even see what's going on in your town on that tiny screen? :shock:

My reading glasses help. 8)
    No seriously, you get used to it. I started playing on my iPhone and got used to it. Now when I use my Galaxy S3 or, better yet, my tablet, I do like the bigger screen, but I have no problem going back to the iPhone when I'm at work or out of battery.

BTW, this thread is very informative and I can think of a few people who should definitly read it :wink:
  • dcacooper
    389 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Is there a reason that when a town has a lot of water, it crashes more? Not fountains ... Just water. Is the water "animated"?

Not in the same way as the characters or buildings, but things do pop up in the water from time to time (Blinky the three-eyed fish for one) and the game has to keep track of that. In itself that is an animation, but presumably there is also some form of timer controlling when and how often the items appear on the surface.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!