EA Forums - Banner

Friends town causes my game to freeze - possible virus?

You can't delete people in game on iDevices anymore. You have to download the origin program. Or I've seen that you can install their scrabble game and that still has the friend management in it.

Replies

• datasurgeon
    1878 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Android player have been doing it off the Origin Website. Another poster says she uses the free version of scrabble to manage her players.

Sounds like your neighbor has a glitch. I had 1 neighbor with that a couple of weeks ago. Went ot his squidport til fixed. Another started last night
  • pattimesseng
    132 posts
    edited January 2014
    I'll see if I can find the free version of scrabble. If someone from EA wants to look at this friend's town to see why it causes other players towns to freeze, please send me a private message.
  • mrnerdstrom
    207 posts
    edited January 2014
    They changed the friend and Origin up on iOS. From what I've seen in other threads, you can use a PC to download the Origin app, and change things there. Something else mentioned that looks easier is downloading and installing Scrabble to your device. From the Scrabble app, you can access your Origin account.

Edit... Wow am I slow at typing on this phone. When I started typing, there were no replies. I think I just got "mega-Ninjad".
  • dave3490
    2472 posts
    edited January 2014
    I have noticed that on one or two of my friends towns that my tablet suddenly 'slows' up and every now and again causes the game to crash. I don't think it's a virus, but i have noticed by viewing comments in the past that sometimes animated items can cause people's devices to slow down or stop/crash. You never know of course what is going on and it's always a good idea to ask someone if your not sure about something. It's probably best to do what everyone is suggesting and either download the Origin program or download scrabble (free) and edit your friends list there. Should take care of that problem
  • Ecl3t1c
    63 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Android player have been doing it off the Origin Website. Another poster says she uses the free version of scrabble to manage her players.

I use the Scrabble app to manage friends on Android and it seems to work well. The Scrabble app will tell you the last time a player logged in but don't rely on it. I look to see how active someone's tapping is during and actual event before I add more active addicts.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    One of my friends towns has suddenly changed. Most everything is gone. All you see is grass in his landing zone. And it causes the game to freeze. I've gotten used to the arrow that lets you hop to the next neighbor's town, so I never know when I will wind up in this guy's town.

Last night, it acted like a virus. I kept tapping the home button to get out of tapped out, and it would reopen to his town automatically. I had to shut down my iPad entirely.

This morning I went to delete this friend, and can't find the option to do that. The orange swirl at the bottom of the screen now says "log out" and that is exactly what it does. But that used to be how I manage friends.

EA, what have you done? How can I delete this guy?

I have a feeling that may be me. As you can see from my sig I'm currently redesigning. Sorry if that's me :-\
  • pattimesseng
    132 posts
    edited January 2014
    No, not you Maxim. I don't know if you are one of my friends. It is someone else, and this isn't someone I've seen posting here.

I was able to use the free scrabble game to delete him. So thank you for the suggestion.

EA, what were you thinking? We need the ability to manage our friends list!
  • Surfcitygal
    1265 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Ecl3t1c wrote:

I use the Scrabble app to manage friends on Android and it seems to work well. The Scrabble app will tell you the last time a player logged in but don't rely on it. I look to see how active someone's tapping is during and actual event before I add more active addicts.

DON'T rely on player log-in dates; I had neighbors that supposedly hadn't logged in since Halloween but their towns all had Christmas items (plus they visited me).
  • theslayer369
    2002 posts Member
    edited January 2014

DON'T rely on player log-in dates; I had neighbors that supposedly hadn't logged in since Halloween but their towns all had Christmas items (plus they visited me).[/quote]

I agree, the log in dates are all to *. I never rely on them. Also I crash or freeze on neighbours that are big time house farmers .
  • frogger53
    686 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    Same here. I was forced to delete them. Something must have changed since I didn't have problems with this neighbor until after the Christmas update ended. I hated to do it but had no choice.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    No, not you Maxim. I don't know if you are one of my friends. It is someone else, and this isn't someone I've seen posting here.

I was able to use the free scrabble game to delete him. So thank you for the suggestion.

EA, what were you thinking? We need the ability to manage our friends list!

Ok , happy you could find a way to delete him! :-D
  • dcacooper
    394 posts Member
    edited January 2014
    DON'T rely on player log-in dates; I had neighbors that supposedly hadn't logged in since Halloween but their towns all had Christmas items (plus they visited me).

I agree, the log in dates are all to *. I never rely on them. Also I crash or freeze on neighbours that are big time house farmers .

The login dates are no all to * as far as I can see. The database will store the date/time of the last login. At the moment, the last time I had to login was just after installing the end of Christmas upate, and it rarely crashes or asks me to log back in, so presumably the database will still have in it some time on the 14th January as my last login, even though I have been on at least 2-3 times per day since then.

The time of last login is not, in any shape or form, related to the last time the game was played, so using it as a way of checking whether a neighbour is active or should be deleted is really not appropriate.

Unless they haven't logged in since February 2013 ... then I think you might be on stronger ground.

The flipside to that is that, presumably, it refers to their last Origin login, so if they have other games that use the Origin login (like the aforementioned Scrabble) their last login could be 20 minutes ago, but they haven't played TSTO for the last 2 months.
  • joshgordon18
    22 posts
    edited January 2014
    I found that people with house farms tend to freeze my game up so I have to unfriend them. Bummer, because some of them visit my town often. I would love to have 100 friends that didnt freeze up my town and tapped on my tv station because I need the money. Joshgordon18 is my OriginID
  • pattimesseng
    132 posts
    edited January 2014
    To be honest, I suspect the guy I deleted is playing. My problem was the freezing every time I visited his town, and then yesterday when I kept trying to get out of Tapped out, and it kept taking me to his town. I've never had an issue with this player. But I do think EA needs to address the freezing and the issue of the game opening on its own and taking me to his town. So if it isn't a virus, perhaps it's haunted.
  • ewaldklement
    73 posts
    edited January 2014
    I think it is because some people (like me) can't get in their game after te christmas ending update. I can't get in my game and a good friend of me tried to visit my town and crash instantly, and there are a lot of people who got this at the moment, take a look at the bugs and issues section.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.