EA Forums - Banner

Predictions Winter Olympics 2014: Which nation gets the most gold medals?

Prev1
I can follow it up with what I myself guessed and why. I guessed on Norway, as I believe they are too strong in cross-country skiing as well as having a very good shot at gold medals in biathlon for both men and women. They even have shots at gold in Alpine skiing, some snowboard events, nordic combined and ski jumping. As well as a medal shot in men's curling. All this combined, I believe it will give the edge to Norway.

Though Russia on home ground, Canada as the best nation 4 years ago, USA (always a strong contender), and Germany and France, I believe will be hot on their heels.

Replies

• jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    It was a tough choice, but I picked Canada. I think they've got some of the best consistency across the board... (Although I agree with you that Norway will make a strong showing, and I think Russia has a lot to prove after the 2010 Winter Games :) )
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited February 2014
    You forgot UK...
    Love biathlon!!! As a marksman myself I find it incredible what they do
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    After day 1 it is Norway in the lead. This is the gold medalists of day 1:

Snowboard Men (Slopestyle): Sage Kotsenburg (USA)

Cross Country Women (2x7,5km): Marit Bjørgen (Norway)

Ladies' Moguls Final: Justine Dufour-Lapointe (Canada)

Biathlon 7,5km: Ole Einar Bjørndalen (Norway) -New olympic record, since he is the oldest gold medalist in Winter Olympics ever, at the age of 40!

Speedskating men 5000meters: Sven Kramer (Netherlands)

These results sends Norway in the lead. The standings so far (day 1):
    (I'll show all medals, though only the golds count for this poll. Gold/Silver/Bronze).

1. Norway (2/1/1)
    2. Canada (1/1/1)
    3. Netherlands (1/1/1)
    4. USA (1/0/1)
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    mpwarner wrote:
    You forgot UK...
    Love biathlon!!! As a marksman myself I find it incredible what they do

I did not forget the UK, but to be honest, do they actually have any gold medal chances? If so, please enlighten me, and I will add them to the poll. Though to be honest, I should have added Slovenia and perhaps the Czech Republic... They do have several gold medal chances.

Anyway, mpwarner, this is just for fun, so I can add UK for you. Though this was actually meant as a vote for which country people actually thought would be the one getting most gold medals...
    jae_bazz wrote:
    It was a tough choice, but I picked Canada. I think they've got some of the best consistency across the board... (Although I agree with you that Norway will make a strong showing, and I think Russia has a lot to prove after the 2010 Winter Games )

Canada is absolutely more than capable of winning the most gold medals. As the best nation in Vancouver in the last Winter Olympics, they will surely prove hard to beat. I would believe Russia should manage to get some golds at home ground, but I am not sure they are as strong as they were in the 90's... I honestly think the top struggle will be between Canada and Norway, with USA and Germany as outsiders... Austria, Russia and France will follow afterwards, perhaps even South Korea. Aside from those, I don't think there will be any more countries fighting in the very top of the gold medal race.
  • HillyBillyOli
    1422 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    UK got bronze women snowboarding
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited February 2014
    UK got bronze women snowboarding

Whooooooo
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Norway is definitely good, but Canada still has plenty of time to catch up ;)
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    Doesn't look like a very good day 2 for Norway so far. Netherlands are harvesting gold medals in the speed skating events, nothing new there. But that won't get them all the way to the top as the best nation, and as far as I know, the Netherlands don't really have any gold medal chances aside from that... Anyway, I'll update sometime after all of the second days events are finished.
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    Day 2 gold medalists:

Men's normal hill, individual ski jumping: Kamil Stoch (Poland)

Men's Luge singles: Felix Loch (Germany)

Team Figure Skating: Russia

Womens Biathlon 7,5km Sprint: Anastasiya Kuzmina (Slovakia)

Ladies' 3000meter Speedskating: Irene Wurst (Netherlands)

Men's Skiathlon 15km classic + 15 km free: Dario Cologna (Switzerland)

Women's Snowboard (Slopestyle): Jamie Anderson (USA)

Men's Downhill skiing: Matthias Mayer (Austria)

Congratulations to them and the winners from yesterday! In the totals, Norway still has a lead, despite a pretty mediocre day 2. Another day like this, and we'll have a new leader after the events of day 3.

The standings after day 2 (Top 5):
    (Gold/Silver/Bronze)

1. Norway (2/1/4)
    2. USA (2/0/2)
    3. Netherlands (2/1/1)
    4. Canada (1/2/1)
    4. Russia (1/2/1)

By the way, I have admit I didn't see the strength of some of Slovakia's participants. They actually have some chances for gold, not enough so that I think they have any chance on claiming the top spots, but enough that they should have been added to the poll. I'll therefore edit the first post, and sorry to everyone that perhaps wanted to vote for them ;)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • thirdeye69
    268 posts
    edited February 2014
    USA's gonna stomp everyone in the number of gold medals won.

USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA.
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    thirdeye69 wrote:
    USA's gonna stomp everyone in the number of gold medals won.

USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA, USA.

Perhaps not stomp everyone else, but USA might very well get the most gold medals, although it will be tight in the end. Certainly Canada, Germany and Norway will have a say in it, and possibly Russia too... And who knows, perhaps a surprise country out of the blue will join in...?
  • Ftball2theGroin
    594 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Historically, the home country usually gets a huge hometown bump (see 2010 Canada) and Putin has poured a lot of money into training, going as far as assigning an oligarch to oversee each discipline. I say Russia eking out a medal count victory over Germany. I think Canada will come back down to ground despite having a world-class Vancouver facility. They are a nation of just 35 million.
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    2 more for Canadah! Yay, Canadah!
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    So far were in the lead! Woohoo! Go Holland!
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    Gold medalists of day 3:

Men's mogul: Alex Bilodeau (Canada)

Men's 500meter speedskating: Michel Mulder (Netherlands)

Men's 12,5km pursuit Biathlon: Martin Fourcade (France)

Men's 1500meter short track: Charles Hamelin (Canada)

Women's super combined Alpine skiing: Maria Hoefl-Riesch (Germany)

Congratulations to them!

The standings after day 3 (top 5):
    (Gold/Silver/Bronze)

1. Canada (3/3/1)
    2. Netherlands (3/2/2)
    3. Norway (2/1/4)
    4. USA (2/0/3)
    5. Germany (2/0/0)

Canada is now the new leaders. Have they taken the lead to stay? :)
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Canada is now the new leaders. Have they taken the lead to stay? :)
    tumblr_m22bvyIZS71qck5uno1_500.gif
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    Sorry for not updating yesterday, but I was very busy. Here are the gold medalists of day 4:

Women's freestyle skiiing slopestyle: Dara Howell (Canada)

Women's Biathlon: 10km pursuit: Darya Domracheva (Belarus)

Men's Cross country skiing sprint freestyle: Ola Vigen Hattestad (Norway)

Women's Cross country skiing sprint freestyle: Maiken Caspersen Falla (Norway)

Women's Luge singles: Natalie Geisenberger (Germany)

Women's Ski Jumping Normal Hill: Carina Vogt (Germany)

Women's 500meters speedskating: Sang Hwa Lee (South Korea)

Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe: Iouri Podladtchikov (Switzerland)

Congratulations to all of them!

The standings after day 4 (top 5):
    (Gold/Silver/Bronze)

1. Norway (4/3/4)
    2. Canada (4/3/2)
    3. Germany (4/1/0)
    4. Netherlands (3/3/2)
    5. USA (2/1/4)

So after day 4 it seems Norway was once again able to claim the top position. Though Germany has had some great results, and are almost only taking gold medals, if they take a medal at all. And after todays events so far, they are current leaders. But an update will follow after all the events of day 5 finish.
  • jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Sorry for not updating yesterday, but I was very busy. Here are the gold medalists of day 4:

Women's freestyle skiiing slopestyle: Dara Howell (Canada)

Women's Biathlon: 10km pursuit: Darya Domracheva (Belarus)

Men's Cross country skiing sprint freestyle: Ola Vigen Hattestad (Norway)

Women's Cross country skiing sprint freestyle: Maiken Caspersen Falla (Norway)

Women's Luge singles: Natalie Geisenberger (Germany)

Women's Ski Jumping Normal Hill: Carina Vogt (Germany)

Women's 500meters speedskating: Sang Hwa Lee (South Korea)

Men's Snowboarding Halfpipe: Iouri Podladtchikov (Switzerland)

Congratulations to all of them!

The standings after day 4 (top 5):
    (Gold/Silver/Bronze)

1. Norway (4/3/4)
    2. Canada (4/3/2)
    3. Germany (4/1/0)
    4. Netherlands (3/3/2)
    5. USA (2/1/4)

So after day 4 it seems Norway was once again able to claim the top position. Though Germany has had some great results, and are almost only taking gold medals, if they take a medal at all. And after todays events so far, they are current leaders. But an update will follow after all the events of day 5 finish.

The Men's Halfpipe was a shocker! I almost peed myself when Shaun White didn't place! (Not even necessarily because I cared if he did, I was just so certain that he would. Now I don't even know if I can count on the sun to rise tomorrow morning ;-) )
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    jae_bazz wrote:
    The Men's Halfpipe was a shocker! I almost peed myself when Shaun White didn't place! (Not even necessarily because I cared if he did, I was just so certain that he would. Now I don't even know if I can count on the sun to rise tomorrow morning ;-) )
    I saw that. He pulled off some amazing stuff, but they were big risks, and he just didn't have the landings.

Germany was in the lead this morning with 5 golds. Woman's Hockey game was great, tho. :wink:
  • FluidEmotion
    605 posts
    edited February 2014
    The Gold medalists of day 5:

Women's Alpine Skiing: Downhill: Dominique Gisin (Switzerland) and Tina Maze (Slovenia) -A shared gold!

Nordic Combined: Individual Normal Hill: Eric Frenzel (Germany)

Men's Speedskating: 1000meters: Stefan Groothuis (Netherlands)

Men's Luge Doubles: Tobias Wendl and Tobias Arlt (Germany)

Women's Snowboarding Halfpipe: Kaitlyn Farrington (USA)

Figure Skating: Pairs: Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov (Russia)

Congratulations to you all!

This means we now have a new country in the lead. Here is the top 5 teams after day 5:
    (Gold/Silver/Bronze)

1. Germany (6/1/0)
    2. Canada (4/4/2)
    3. Norway (4/3/5)
    4. Netherlands (4/2/4)
    5. USA (3/1/5)

It seems Germany is mostly just capable of getting the Gold medals, if they get a medal at all. Norway is so far the country getting the most medals. Though as for this specific statistic we are counting Gold medals. Silver and Bronze medals are used as tie-breakers, meaning Canada squeezes past Norway for the second place slot. It may also be worth mentioning that the current top 5 seem to get hard pressed from behind by Switzerland and Russia. Espescially USA's place among the top 5 seem to be insecure at the moment...

EDIT: An interesting observation is that not a single vote has gone to Germany in this Gold medal race from our forum members...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!