EA Forums - Banner

Homer = crash!

Prev1
The same exact thing happened to me before I put the Shining maze into storage. I contacted EA about it, was told they're aware and working on a fix but for now the only thing to do is put some of your fences, hedges and shrubs into storage until they get it sorted out. I begrudingly did it and my game stabilized instantly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's what I heard as of this morning.

Replies

• jacobjdevore
    387 posts
    edited December 2012
    My only crash seems to be when I move parking lots, trees, etc., but my neighbors and everything else is intact.
  • hgfxf
    171 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Pet theory of mine as to why mazes seem to cause instability more often. (Btw thejudd67, loved the maze!)

As far as I can tell, the biggest computational task this server based game demands on its iOS clients are talking to the servers and determining where the character walk paths are.

I've idly wondered if mazes cause too much CPU pain due to determining paths through, around them?
  • brentheady
    15 posts
    edited December 2012
    I had the same issue until I put a ton of flowers and other decorations into storage. Brick walls also seem to take up tons processing, so I put them in storage and replaced them with iron fences. I figured it didn't matter much to do away with the flowers until the snow melts as you can't really see them in the snow.
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited December 2012
    My characters never went into the maze so I don't think that's it. The EA rep told me that if you've got lots of especially small things in together like shrubs or fences that's where the game runs into trouble, and even before the update almost any time I'd even scroll over the maze the game would crash. It think it's just that it has to generate all 600+ hedges I used and keep refreshing the image as I moved and that was too much for it. KrustyBrand has an outstanding Springfield that's very heavy on fences, trees and bushes so I think it's the same issue I had, plus we both had trouble tapping on Homer specifically. At this point I'm just glad to know they're aware of the issue and are working to fix it.
  • Spuckler25
    32 posts
    edited December 2012
    Do u reckon it might be coz of the amount of people playing?
    My guess would be that alot mroe people have downloaded it becuase of the update, and have started playing, putting more strain on the servers....
  • Alyssa818
    2 posts
    edited December 2012
    What worked for me was deleting the App. And then go back to the App. Store and reinstall it. Your town will b exactly how u left it and everything should b working properly.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    thejudd67 wrote:
    The same exact thing happened to me before I put the Shining maze into storage. I contacted EA about it, was told they're aware and working on a fix but for now the only thing to do is put some of your fences, hedges and shrubs into storage until they get it sorted out. I begrudingly did it and my game stabilized instantly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's what I heard as of this morning.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, while my town has a fair number of trees, shrubs, and other decorations, it has no "unitary" structure like a large hedge maze that can be simply and easily dismantled. In fact, back in October I gave serious thought to the construction of such a maze, but gave the idea up for the very reason we are now discussing. I suppose I could store every other tree, fence segment, shrub, etc., but that would leave me with a pretty silly looking Springfield. And what about the future development of my town? I've only been able to amass 60% of the available plots and some of those are crammed full of buildings I had intended to place on to-be-purchased plots. No parking lots, fences, walls, or trees for any of those plots? Then what's really the point?

As for EA's work on this issue, I'd feel better if I had some notion as to when, if ever, they anticipate fixing this problem. They've known about it for at least two months. While I can understand that it may be a difficult problem to deal with, I'm certainly not going to patiently sit on my hands for another two months waiting for programmers that might or might not address the problem.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic. :cry:
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Alyssa818 wrote:
    What worked for me was deleting the App. And then go back to the App. Store and reinstall it. Your town will b exactly how u left it and everything should b working properly.

Thanks for the suggestion, but nope.
  • MoopsDude
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    My experience has been that too much of anything will cause instability to varying degrees. That includes hedges,trees,walls,fences, bridges (roads over water) and houses. I have put everything except one of a kind building into storage and started from scratch a few times. I don't trust storage completely, but as long as something can be replaced, I will store it. I don't know if that is the case for you, but something to think about.
    Yes, THAT MoopsDude

I GRIND, It’s what I do
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited December 2012
    My Homer was doing the same thing yesterday and this morning, not every time, but sporadically. This problem has since stopped for me, here's hoping it doesn't come back. I am saddened by the hedge maze news, I love mine and it is going to be a beast to put in storage.
  • MoopsDude
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I type slow so I missed your last post. :oops:
    Yes, THAT MoopsDude

I GRIND, It’s what I do
  • thejudd67
    395 posts
    edited December 2012
    thejudd67 wrote:

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, while my town has a fair number of trees, shrubs, and other decorations, it has no "unitary" structure like a large hedge maze that can be simply and easily dismantled. In fact, back in October I gave serious thought to the construction of such a maze, but gave the idea up for the very reason we are now discussing. I suppose I could store every other tree, fence segment, shrub, etc., but that would leave me with a pretty silly looking Springfield. And what about the future development of my town? I've only been able to amass 60% of the available plots and some of those are crammed full of buildings I had intended to place on to-be-purchased plots. No parking lots, fences, walls, or trees for any of those plots? Then what's really the point?

As for EA's work on this issue, I'd feel better if I had some notion as to when, if ever, they anticipate fixing this problem. They've known about it for at least two months. While I can understand that it may be a difficult problem to deal with, I'm certainly not going to patiently sit on my hands for another two months waiting for programmers that might or might not address the problem.

As far as waiting for the programmers, I believe the old saying is "I'm not cynical, I'm just experienced." :-)

Kidding aside, I'm holding out a bit of hope. They have seemed to finally get the premium cash/XP bonus issue resolved so maybe around the time of the version 5.0 Easter update we will get lucky.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    thejudd67 wrote:
    thejudd67 wrote:

As far as waiting for the programmers, I believe the old saying is "I'm not cynical, I'm just experienced." :-)

Kidding aside, I'm holding out a bit of hope. They have seemed to finally get the premium cash/XP bonus issue resolved so maybe around the time of the version 5.0 Easter update we will get lucky.

Yes, they did indeed indeed fix the premium bug. I was happy to see that. Maybe I'm naive, but that bug always struck me as one that should have been relatively easy to fix. I have no such illusions about the "complexity" bug which I suspect may be far more intractable.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    MoopsDude wrote:
    My experience has been that too much of anything will cause instability to varying degrees. That includes hedges,trees,walls,fences, bridges (roads over water) and houses. I have put everything except one of a kind building into storage and started from scratch a few times. I don't trust storage completely, but as long as something can be replaced, I will store it. I don't know if that is the case for you, but something to think about.

Thanks for the suggestion, Moops. Much appreciated. However, to be honest, the notion of effectively razing my town to the ground and starting from scratch doesn't hold a lot of appeal. Especially if I'm going to have to rebuild something that doesn't much appeal to my tastes. I might find it emotionally easier to just pull the plug.
  • KrustyBrand
    15340 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Well, I deleted all of my friends this morning based on the slim hope that that might alleviate the problem, but no dice. I've filed a complaint with EA's help center, but I'm not operating under any illusions that the problem is going to be fixed.

I suspect that this may be my last post, so I'll use the opportunity to say "so long" to some of regulars I've interacted with over the last two or three months. Hope I was able to help out at least one or two users during my brief stint here.

Happy tapping,

Krusty
  • didemlale
    208 posts
    edited December 2012
    I suspect that this may be my last post, so I'll use the opportunity to say "so long" to some of regulars I've interacted with over the last two or three months. Hope I was able to help out at least one or two users during my brief stint here.

Happy tapping,

I was out whole day and just read about what happened to your Springfield.

Hey! Happy tapping to you too but just don't disappear, I am a fan of your Springfield and your posts. I can give you my Homer if it will help!

My Homer is 'too slow' for a few days to accept any tasks that assign to him, and I was kicked out of the game a few times yesterday and had diffculties to login but I managed to login after many attempts but what I noticed is that my game is not checking any updates anymore. And my game is so slow today; it creates an impression that it will crash at any time. Put Homer's home in the storage, redownload the game etc... Anyway, apparently nothing helped you to solve the problem and I am sorry that I have no suggestions.

As I said, I love your Springfield. But if you hear from EA, let us know. Perhaps they will fix it and I will continue to enjoy visiting your Springfield.

PS. I can't see your Springfield anymore! I do hope that you come back soon. I did enjoy looking at each detail in your Springfield every day.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • mellytan
    1258 posts
    edited December 2012
    Well, I deleted all of my friends this morning based on the slim hope that that might alleviate the problem, but no dice. I've filed a complaint with EA's help center, but I'm not operating under any illusions that the problem is going to be fixed.

Happy tapping,

Krusty

I do hope you'll keep playing. It's been fun reading your posts though I didn't have a chance to become your neighbor. Don't give up. I'm sure they'll fix it. I always have that little bit of hope. :)

• butterfly660
    229 posts
    edited December 2012
    The button to make your items invisible makes my game crash instantly since the update. I barely use that button so I dont care but its a 100% crash if I touch it. Hiding houses is ok. And clicking Homer crashed once but otherwise been ok
  • Ulgrimmar
    62 posts
    edited December 2012
    I'm experiencing the same exact problem.
  • thejazzdiva
    220 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I have started having issues today, and will try some to these suggestions....
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.