EA Forums - Banner

Gift & message function

Yeah i think that is a great idea, although what i would really like to do is have the option to visit random towns and leave a rating.

Replies

  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    I really don’t think that that such a good idea. Although there would be a few player that could get there last missing event items that way ( something that would make the events more boring to my opinion ) there will also be a lot of long-time players who will get annoyed with things being placed in their town all the time. I certainly would like it if someone was placing a bunch off fences in my town everyday ( off course, you can delete that player, but sooner or later there will come another player like that ). It would mean that every time you log in you have to scout your town to see if someone has placed random objects in your town because 99% of the people will off course be placing the cheapest items you really don’t want in your town.
    The trading function would be the same. I’m not going to see that happen. New players will off course be trying to get the more expensive items and will be offering cheap items nobody really wants to trade ( since you can buy them yourself when you’ve got a couple of million in cash ) and only the long-term players will have those items but they’re not going to trade it.

    Plus EA would never allow the trading of donut-bought items.
    So, best leave it to the event-gift-offering is what I would say.
  • CookieKwan1
    962 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    I really don’t think that that such a good idea. Although there would be a few player that could get there last missing event items that way ( something that would make the events more boring to my opinion ) there will also be a lot of long-time players who will get annoyed with things being placed in their town all the time. I certainly would like it if someone was placing a bunch off fences in my town everyday ( off course, you can delete that player, but sooner or later there will come another player like that ). It would mean that every time you log in you have to scout your town to see if someone has placed random objects in your town because 99% of the people will off course be placing the cheapest items you really don’t want in your town.
    The trading function would be the same. I’m not going to see that happen. New players will off course be trying to get the more expensive items and will be offering cheap items nobody really wants to trade ( since you can buy them yourself when you’ve got a couple of million in cash ) and only the long-term players will have those items but they’re not going to trade it.

    Plus EA would never allow the trading of donut-bought items.
    So, best leave it to the event-gift-offering is what I would say.


    I see your point and I acknowledge all of the issues this idea could come with, but I still think it's a nice idea to gift.

    To battle the section I've highlighted in bold they could have it like accepting friend requests so like "3 Gifts pending" type thing and you have the option of accept or decline. If you decline it goes back to their inventory and they get an on screen msg "an item has been placed in your inventory" (they already do that msg with the gifts they give us) the next time you log in.

    I'm not trying to say you're wrong and that I have all the kinks figured out but I would lean more for the gifting than against it. I agree that trading would be kind of useless though, that's just all my opinion. I'm probably biased though because I really want to give a few premiums to my cousin and a handful of others. :lol:

    Pro-gift
    Anti-trade
    :lol:
  • Rooneytoon
    162 posts
    edited February 2014
    I really don’t think that that such a good idea. Although there would be a few player that could get there last missing event items that way ( something that would make the events more boring to my opinion ) there will also be a lot of long-time players who will get annoyed with things being placed in their town all the time. I certainly would like it if someone was placing a bunch off fences in my town everyday ( off course, you can delete that player, but sooner or later there will come another player like that ). It would mean that every time you log in you have to scout your town to see if someone has placed random objects in your town because 99% of the people will off course be placing the cheapest items you really don’t want in your town.
    The trading function would be the same. I’m not going to see that happen. New players will off course be trying to get the more expensive items and will be offering cheap items nobody really wants to trade ( since you can buy them yourself when you’ve got a couple of million in cash ) and only the long-term players will have those items but they’re not going to trade it.

    Plus EA would never allow the trading of donut-bought items.
    So, best leave it to the event-gift-offering is what I would say.

    No, a trade/gift option wouldn't work like this. I didn't mean that you just could place items in other towns. Did you never played a game with trade function?

    - you choose your friends and the trade function
    - than there is a popup with two frames
    - in the left frame you can choose your item and than you move it on the right side (friends side)
    - Now you friend have to accept and put another item in it.
    - If you accept too, its done and the item would be in your inventory.

    No item search in your town, no unwanted items, no cheap item against expensive and your absolutely free to accept the item someone would want to give to you! So if you want to earn the item by yourself you would be absolutely free to do it!
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    You both have some good points. Although I’m still sticking to my original post. :-D
    I understand that people would want such a function, I just don't see it working in this game.

    The pop-up of someone trying to give you another fence ( or something else cheap ) would be just as annoying over time as looking for items someone might have placed ( as i stated before ) and, to me, it wouldn’t weigh up to the benefit off getting a nice gift every now and then.

    Sorry, but still:

    Anti-gift
    Anti-trade

  • CookieKwan1
    962 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    :thumbup: I respect you sticking to your guns :mrgreen: Glad we can agree to disagree :lol:
  • Rooneytoon
    162 posts
    edited February 2014
    You both have some good points. Although I’m still sticking to my original post. :-D
    I understand that people would want such a function, I just don't see it working in this game.

    The pop-up of someone trying to give you another fence ( or something else cheap ) would be just as annoying over time as looking for items someone might have placed ( as i stated before ) and, to me, it wouldn’t weigh up to the benefit off getting a nice gift every now and then.

    Sorry, but still:

    Anti-gift
    Anti-trade

    :mrgreen: Yeah, I'm also okay with your opinion. BUT what if they would do it like the friends request thing? You just could see the number of gift requests you received on a gift icon. So NO pop-ups all the time.. You just could ignore it. So what whould be the problem now? :wink: :P Lets forget the trade option and just say "gift" and donuts wouldn't be possible to send..
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    This has been brought up many times
    This would never work and would cost EA millions and would clog up their servers with millions of abandoned towns.

    People would abuse this and create feeder towns just to accumulate a few donuts and buy a premium item and then gift it to their main town. then completely abandon that feeder town and then create another new game and so on and so on.

    I mean i would do it just to get one premium item to my main town and i am sure i am not alone.
  • Rooneytoon
    162 posts
    edited February 2014
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    This has been brought up many times
    This would never work and would cost EA millions and would clog up their servers with millions of abandoned towns.

    People would abuse this and create feeder towns just to accumulate a few donuts and buy a premium item and then gift it to their main town. then completely abandon that feeder town and then create another new game and so on and so on.

    I mean i would do it just to get one premium item to my main town and i am sure i am not alone.

    I don't see this. If it wouldn't be possible to send donuts to other towns, because just ITEMS would be allowed. Which gain would a feeder town have in it??
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Rooneytoon wrote:
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    This has been brought up many times
    This would never work and would cost EA millions and would clog up their servers with millions of abandoned towns.

    People would abuse this and create feeder towns just to accumulate a few donuts and buy a premium item and then gift it to their main town. then completely abandon that feeder town and then create another new game and so on and so on.

    I mean i would do it just to get one premium item to my main town and i am sure i am not alone.

    I don't see this. If it wouldn't be possible to send donuts to other towns, because just ITEMS would be allowed. Which gain would a feeder town have in it??

    Like this

    I build up a few donuts on my feeder town and buy sections of white fence. then i gift those fence pieces to my main town and totally abandon my feeder town and then create a new feeder town and continue this over and over.

    unless you are saying anything that costs donuts such as premium items cannot be given
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Rooneytoon wrote:
    You both have some good points. Although I’m still sticking to my original post. :-D
    I understand that people would want such a function, I just don't see it working in this game.

    The pop-up of someone trying to give you another fence ( or something else cheap ) would be just as annoying over time as looking for items someone might have placed ( as i stated before ) and, to me, it wouldn’t weigh up to the benefit off getting a nice gift every now and then.

    Sorry, but still:

    Anti-gift
    Anti-trade
    :mrgreen: Yeah, I'm also okay with your opinion. BUT what if they would do it like the friends request thing? You just could see the number of gift requests you received on a gift icon. So NO pop-ups all the time.. You just could ignore it. So what whould be the problem now? :wink: :P Lets forget the trade option and just say "gift" and donuts wouldn't be possible to send..

    That would be a lot better, But there's also the matter of the feeder towns as MaxxSpider is explaining right now.

    Plus there would be a lot of gift "begging" through the game itself and through the accompanied message system. And if there's one thing i hate it's constantly having to see the gift-requests of other people ( you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ).

    Sorry mate! :mrgreen:
  • dcacooper
    394 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ... you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ...

    ^^ This.

    I gave up visiting Facebook altogether at one point because I grew sick and tired of request after request from friends playing Farmville, Mafia Wars and goodness knows what else. If anything like that were to begin appearing in TSTO I would probably take the same dim view of it.

    From my perspective, gifting would be more or less pointless unless you could gift premium items, and I don't see EA allowing the gifting of premium items because of the feeder towns issues raised above.
  • CookieKwan1
    962 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ( you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ).


    Please explain. I don't have and never will have a facebook as I have always chosen to boycott the no-privacy-suddenly-stalking-is-ok-cos-its-on-the-internet-its-a-joke-its-taken-over-the-world site that it is, so this begging requests is foreign to me.


    Feel free to ignore that middle rant if it bothers you but yeah, what is this begging on social media you speak of?
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ( you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ).


    Please explain. I don't have and never will have a facebook as I have always chosen to boycott the no-privacy-suddenly-stalking-is-ok-cos-its-on-the-internet-its-a-joke-its-taken-over-the-world site that it is, so this begging requests is foreign to me.


    Feel free to ignore that middle rant if it bothers you but yeah, what is this begging on social media you speak of?

    Hahaha. I will not ignore that middle rant because I liked it and i understand what you mean. :-D

    Let me explain, because at some point in my life I fell for the facebook trap and can now say that I can watch pictures of all of my “ friends” kids and pictures of every meal they eat whenever I feel the urge to look at things like that…

    People play a lot of house farming/building type games on facebook . A lot of these games ( Farmville, Candy crush etc. ) al rely on the exchanging of gifts to make good progress in the game. Asking for a gift is a as easy as blinking your eyes ‘cause all you need to do is push a button and everyone in your friend list will see that you would like to get a candystick, a new rake for your farm, some ingame cash to buy that gnarly new hairdo you always wanted etc. etc.
    So, as a result, 9 out of 10 posts on facebook are of people begging for ingame giftsm except for the nice pictures of kids and meals of course.
    This is what I fear that will/can happen if TSTO gets a gift function.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    dcacooper wrote:
    ... you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ...

    ^^ This.

    I gave up visiting Facebook altogether at one point because I grew sick and tired of request after request from friends playing Farmville, Mafia Wars and goodness knows what else. If anything like that were to begin appearing in TSTO I would probably take the same dim view of it.

    From my perspective, gifting would be more or less pointless unless you could gift premium items, and I don't see EA allowing the gifting of premium items because of the feeder towns issues raised above.

    Couldn't agree more!
  • SauronHimself
    38 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    Valve added a trading system first to TF2 and then to all of Steam as a marketplace. It has boosted the gaming economy for everyone and has lined Valve's pockets even more. Win-win.
  • CookieKwan1
    962 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ( you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ).


    Please explain. I don't have and never will have a facebook as I have always chosen to boycott the no-privacy-suddenly-stalking-is-ok-cos-its-on-the-internet-its-a-joke-its-taken-over-the-world site that it is, so this begging requests is foreign to me.


    Feel free to ignore that middle rant if it bothers you but yeah, what is this begging on social media you speak of?

    Hahaha. I will not ignore that middle rant because I liked it and i understand what you mean. :-D

    Let me explain, because at some point in my life I fell for the facebook trap and can now say that I can watch pictures of all of my “ friends” kids and pictures of every meal they eat whenever I feel the urge to look at things like that…

    People play a lot of house farming/building type games on facebook . A lot of these games ( Farmville, Candy crush etc. ) al rely on the exchanging of gifts to make good progress in the game. Asking for a gift is a as easy as blinking your eyes ‘cause all you need to do is push a button and everyone in your friend list will see that you would like to get a candystick, a new rake for your farm, some ingame cash to buy that gnarly new hairdo you always wanted etc. etc.
    So, as a result, 9 out of 10 posts on facebook are of people begging for ingame giftsm except for the nice pictures of kids and meals of course.
    This is what I fear that will/can happen if TSTO gets a gift function.

    Sounds awful.

    picgifs-disgust-130202.gif
  • sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited February 2014
    ( you know, the facebook-style gift-begging-requests ).


    Please explain. I don't have and never will have a facebook as I have always chosen to boycott the no-privacy-suddenly-stalking-is-ok-cos-its-on-the-internet-its-a-joke-its-taken-over-the-world site that it is, so this begging requests is foreign to me.


    Feel free to ignore that middle rant if it bothers you but yeah, what is this begging on social media you speak of?

    Hahaha. I will not ignore that middle rant because I liked it and i understand what you mean. :-D

    Let me explain, because at some point in my life I fell for the facebook trap and can now say that I can watch pictures of all of my “ friends” kids and pictures of every meal they eat whenever I feel the urge to look at things like that…

    People play a lot of house farming/building type games on facebook . A lot of these games ( Farmville, Candy crush etc. ) al rely on the exchanging of gifts to make good progress in the game. Asking for a gift is a as easy as blinking your eyes ‘cause all you need to do is push a button and everyone in your friend list will see that you would like to get a candystick, a new rake for your farm, some ingame cash to buy that gnarly new hairdo you always wanted etc. etc.
    So, as a result, 9 out of 10 posts on facebook are of people begging for ingame giftsm except for the nice pictures of kids and meals of course.
    This is what I fear that will/can happen if TSTO gets a gift function.

    Sounds awful.

    picgifs-disgust-130202.gif

    Best reaction to the distaste with the Book of Faces. I'm gonna be laughing at that throughout the day...thanks cookie!
    txJAc.gif
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.