EA Forums - Banner

Benevolent IRA?

Replies

• drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    If the Simpsons lost viewers every time they offended someone, there'd be no one left to watch. The Simpsons (and this game) completely shreds Christianity (Marge's Christmas quest lines were pretty rough), repeatedly, but it's all satire. As a Christian myself, I just take it in stride.

OP, I can appreciate and respect the fact that the IRA jokes offended you, and you have every right to leave if that's your choice; however, I recommend you just take a breath and move past it in the game. If you can't do that, and leaving is your way of making a moral stand, then have at it, but it's ok if it's not a deal breaker to other players.
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Since I'm not that far yet in the quest, I found a walkthrough that has the dialogue. Spoiler / highlight to see text:

Lisa: Now why don’t you move all this red stuff and shoe me the green.
    Tom O’Flanagan: Oh My Blarney Stones! I’ve done it again! I must confess my deepest secret – I’m red/green color-blind.
    Tom O’Flanagan: This is worse than when I accidentally joined the sinister Communist Party thinking it was the benevolent IRA!
    Lisa: Color-blindness is not that big of a deal.
    Tom O’Flanagan: It is if you’re Irish! I once pinched Kermit the Frog on *. Patrick’s Day. I’m a MONSTER!

IMO, the reference is definitely not pro-IRA. If anything, the word 'benevolent' is thrown in there in a sarcastic and ironic way.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    To me it sounds like he was referring to a separate organization, like there's the IRA that isn't benevolent, and then "the benevolent IRA" has bake sales and sends random flower deliveries or something. Just me, I guess.
  • datasurgeon
    1878 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:
    Since I'm not that far yet in the quest, I found a walkthrough that has the dialogue. Spoiler / highlight to see text:

IMO, the reference is definitely not pro-IRA. If anything, the word 'benevolent' is thrown in there in a sarcastic and ironic way.

Thanks Mopar for the Dialogue I have deleted it in this copy just in case. It places it in proper perspective. I do approve of the violent IRA, creators of the Car bomb. They at least have renounced their previous methods (but not splinter IRA groups)
  • Annathewicked
    4713 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    To me it sounds like he was referring to a separate organization, like there's the IRA that isn't benevolent, and then "the benevolent IRA" has bake sales and sends random flower deliveries or something. Just me, I guess.

Lmfao! Hadn't thought of it this way but yes! Soooo yes!
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • jmart0031914
    281 posts
    edited March 2014
    comedy = time + tragedy with that said grow up!
  • irishladsoca
    398 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    This thread can quickly go from bad to worse. Do I agree with the tactics of the IRA during the "troubles", NO, do I agree with what the British were doing in Ireland in the first place NO. do I agree with the reference in the game, (I haven't seen it yet), NO. But as to the OP's comment about the Troubles on British soil, I would only suggest to the OP to know his or her history between Ireland and Great Britain and why the IRA was formed in the first place and the numerous splits and the reasons for those splits within that group since that formation. When one society imposes, oppresses and subjects another society of peoples, those who are imposed upon, oppressed and subjected have a tendency to fight back. Both Irish and British lives have been lost due to the troubles, recently and far past. On my Island and yours.

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) was an Irish republican revolutionary military organization. It was descended from the Irish Volunteers, an organization established on 25 November 1913 that staged the Easter Rising in April 1916. In 1919, the Irish Republic that had been proclaimed during the Easter Rising was formally established by an elected assembly (D?il ?ireann), and the Irish Volunteers were recognized by D?il ?ireann as its legitimate army. Thereafter, the IRA waged a guerrilla campaign against British rule in Ireland in the 1919?21 Irish War of Independence.

Following the signing in 1921 of the Anglo-Irish Treaty, which ended the War of Independence, a split occurred within the IRA. Members who supported the treaty formed the nucleus of the Irish National Army founded by IRA leader Michael Collins. However, much of the IRA was opposed to the treaty. The anti-treaty IRA fought a civil war with their former comrades in 1922?23, with the intention of creating a fully independent all-Ireland republic. Having lost the civil war, this group remained in existence, with the intention of overthrowing both the Irish Free State and Northern Ireland and achieving the Irish Republic proclaimed in 1916.

• Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    It is a touchy subject, and could escalate into something ugly very quickly. But the game started it, (as it often does, :roll: ) and as long as people respect each others opinions here, it will remain a valid discussion.
  • WolfyDiesel
    134 posts
    edited March 2014
    It's a cartoon. And it's satirical. Everyone's beliefs or policies get hit at some point. Get a thicker skin.
  • WolfyDiesel
    134 posts
    edited March 2014
    Also, anyone that can dig a single morsel of humor out of the entirety of Jeff Dunham's body of work is lost beyond all hope.
  • Smurf1972
    353 posts
    edited March 2014
    Also, anyone that can dig a single morsel of humor out of the entirety of Jeff Dunham's body of work is lost beyond all hope.

Then I'm guilty as charged, perhaps it has to appeal to those of a certain mindset and age? Who knows... :mrgreen:
  • drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited March 2014

Pffft. Muggle.
  • manfaiwan
    69 posts
    edited March 2014
    I can understand the arguements from both camps however as a group that has killed a lot of people in the past I think it wasnt wise to put that into the game. I wonder what will happen if they put in a jokey comment about the **** or **** into the game?
  • soapy_84
    67 posts
    edited March 2014
    I did think this was also in bad taste. It wasn't funny and it wasn't at all necessary. If it had actually been funny then I would let them off but it was just lazy writing.
    Also a family were lucky not to loose there lives in Belfast on Friday night when some of these halfwits used a command wire IED on a police car and messed it up badly.
    Shame on you EA.
  • bakeemawytoy
    78 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    First off, plenty of shows have made jokes about **** and terrorists. I don't care. It's satirical.

Secondly, I think you may have chosen the wrong genre if that one little comment offended you. Honestly, people, it's a POLITICAL/SOCIAL SATIRE. Do you understand what that means? It means they will poke fun at various social tendencies and political news.

They have made fun of Japanese culture, Chinese culture, Indian culture, American culture, Irish culture, British culture, Australian culture, Brazil, Africa, etc. etc.

This, IMO, is the biggest problem in society. People are too sensitive. You have every right to leave the game if you're upset. And perhaps that's for the best, if you get offended so easily, because the Simpsons won't and shouldn't stop pushing the limits of politics and society, and you're at risk to be offended again when they do.
  • Vermonster13
    37 posts
    edited March 2014
    The USA was founded by terrorists in the eyes of King George.
  • soapy_84
    67 posts
    edited March 2014
    The USA was founded by terrorists in the eyes of King George.

The IRA was funded by Americans, true story.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited March 2014
    wouldn't be the first time Simpsons has said something about the IRA.

one episode even though they don't mention the name in the beer baron episode after brockman says is this what we think of when we think of the Irish a British fish and chips shop is bombed.
  • dcacooper
    389 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I just took it as a play on the fact that there have been several organisations using the name IRA, of which the Provisional IRA (responsible for most of the mainland bombings) is only the most famous. A Benevolent IRA would be a welcome addition at this point.

And, I should add ... I left a job interview on Corporation Street in Manchester just 20 minutes before the 1996 bombing, and directly witnessed its immediate effects, so I am certainly not ignorant of what the PIRA did.
  • fluffling
    516 posts
    edited March 2014
    well The Simpsons isn't exactly a politically correct show towards, well, anyone, to be honest
    so obviously the game based on the show wouldn't really be much better, tho it is a lot more politically correct than the show
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!