EA Forums - Banner

"Freemium" players - Thoughts regarding the mindset

Prev13456
If people refuse to pay for donuts, that's fine. But I don't see the logic behind this.

In order to be a freemium player you'd have to put in extra time and extra effort to earn currency. That extra time and effort could've been used taking an extra shift at your job and then use a fraction of that money on donuts, giving you a much better result.

Replies

• frogger53
    686 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I get everything that comes along and I don't mind spending donuts for premium items. The payout and XP you get with premium items is worth it to me. I've skipped only one item since I started playing and I already regret it. Since it was an episode tie-in, I won't get another opportunity to buy it. I know I'm not alone in this.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    i have spent $60 on this game and will never spend any more as $60 is the normal price of a video game.
  • Lanky
    34 posts
    edited March 2014
    MaxxSpider wrote:
    i have spent $60 on this game and will never spend any more as $60 is the normal price of a video game.

And I think that is the right view to take - people play the game for hundreds of hours (myself included), so paying the price that you would for a full game is perfectly acceptable. Nice to see there are some other people taking the view - would like to get some replies from someone who does see themselves as "freemium players", just to get the other side of the view (if there are other factors which I missed)

Or maybe my post could hit home with a few people :P
  • Ftball2theGroin
    594 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I would happily pay a flat fee for the game. However, EA knows they can make more money with this tiered system, so here we are. If they want to offer me 70% of the game for free, and 100% of the game for $300, I know which one I'm more likely to pick.

They take cheapskates like me into consideration when designing how to maximize their profits, so I'm not going to lose much sleep over not giving ($100 million in TSTO profits) EA enough of my money.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I'm a premium player and usually buy 900 donuts when an update lands, if there is no update i dont buy any obviously lol Like maxxx i treat the game like buying a console game a month or a couple of blu rays a month. Or thats how i try and make the decision to buy donuts easier :lol:

It is a slippery slope with buying them tho as i thought at the beginning "oh i'll just get a couple of prem items" but now after 2years of playing i have to have everything they bring out lol My kid has her own town which is a "Freemium" town and i have her working towards building up donuts so she gets how expensive they are and dont just blow them away.
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • drosax1
    4860 posts New member
    edited March 2014
    frogger53 wrote:
    I get everything that comes along and I don't mind spending donuts for premium items. The payout and XP you get with premium items is worth it to me. I've skipped only one item since I started playing and I already regret it. Since it was an episode tie-in, I won't get another opportunity to buy it. I know I'm not alone in this.

Was it freedom the falcon you skipped?
  • Lanky
    34 posts
    edited March 2014
    I would happily pay a flat fee for the game. However, EA knows they can make more money with this tiered system, so here we are. If they want to offer me 70% of the game for free, and 100% of the game for $300, I know which one I'm more likely to pick.

They take cheapskates like me into consideration when designing how to maximize their profits, so I'm not going to lose much sleep over not giving ($100 million in TSTO profits) EA enough of my money.

Yet you are happy to pay a game that cost them money to develop, giving them absolutely nothing back, but state that the cost is too high? Regardless of the fact that they have a gigantic revenue income? I think you hit the nail on the head with the "cheapskate" labeling, which is basically what it falls down to. But then, if you are of that view, why expect things to be for free because you think it should be?

if you pay $30 , which isn't much money if you are playing the game constantly., you can get a lot of content. $300 is a mass over exaggeration...
  • Roseben031
    97 posts
    edited March 2014
    Hum... I guess what I don't understand is why it matters to other people how I play. Why would anyone care?

If EA required my money, they'd charge for the game. They don't. They offer it for free and I see no reason to feel guilty for playing what they are giving away.

I'm not saying I'll never buy donuts, I have spent money on other games with this model, but it has always been and will always be because I want to, not because I feel guilty.
  • Lanky
    34 posts
    edited March 2014
    Roseben031 wrote:
    Hum... I guess what I don't understand is why it matters to other people how I play. Why would anyone care?

If EA required my money, they'd charge for the game. They don't. They offer it for free and I see no reason to feel guilty for playing what they are giving away.

I'm not saying I'll never buy donuts, I have spent money on other games with this model, but it has always been and will always be because I want to, not because I feel guilty.

I think you miss the point slightly here - the topic falls on the people who claim themselves as "freemium players" and refuse to budge on it, and then still complain / demand stuff when they are not paying anything. Playing for free is technically fine, but should only get you so far (which is currently does, and very leniently if you ask me - you get a TON of content for free).

You should most certainly not feel guilty if you don't pay! Only if you then feel like the game is conning you when you want something that they are offering, and you cant get it without paying some money.
  • LuGer33x
    152 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    That's pretty much my thought. So what if people want to play hundreds of hours and not buy any premium items? I've been playing almost a year and have bought very few premium items. That's my decision for my town, so why does it matter to anyone else?

People complaining about the prices of things are kind of annoying, I'll give you that.
    Volunteer EA Forums Senior Moderator
    Xbox Live - The Snake Esq
  • Lanky
    34 posts
    edited March 2014
    LuGer33 wrote:
    That's pretty much my thought. So what if people want to play hundreds of hours and not buy any premium items? I've been playing almost a year and have bought very few premium items. That's my decision for my town, so why does it matter to anyone else?

People complaining about the prices of things are kind of annoying, I'll give you that.

But you HAVE bought content, and you DONT label yourself as freemium only, and don't REFUSE to buy anything, or complain about prices. Dont miss the main content topic here...

No one should care less how you play (I especially dont) - I only do when people come on here to * about things, which is happening far too often on here (hence my gripe), call themselves as freemium and have a moan about things they are too tight to buy with no real reason behind it.
  • frogger53
    686 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    drosax1 wrote:
    frogger53 wrote:

Was it freedom the falcon you skipped?

Nope....I passed up the submarine.
  • frogger53
    686 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    The money I spent last year on donuts would put some people into a coma.....including me, BUT I don't regret it. Can't take it with you and there's worse vices to spend money on.
  • LAgator77
    73 posts
    edited March 2014
    This video game is, in reality, an advertisement for a TV show. The episode tie-ins blatantly tell us to watch the show Sunday nights at 8 on Fox! I've been spending money on real life Simpsons crap since before many people here were born. I've spent a total of 99 cents on 1 Golden Scratch-R ticket in this game. I just can't bring myself to spend money on virtual Simpsons crap.
    All that being said, EA is well within their rights to try and milk as much money from this game as possible. There's a sucker born every minute (no offense to anyone). I have never complained about not getting an item because it cost donuts. If you want it, pay for it, otherwise quit complaining about a video game you're free to stop playing anytime.
  • Ftball2theGroin
    594 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Lanky wrote:

Yet you are happy to pay a game that cost them money to develop, giving them absolutely nothing back, but state that the cost is too high? Regardless of the fact that they have a gigantic revenue income? I think you hit the nail on the head with the "cheapskate" labeling, which is basically what it falls down to. But then, if you are of that view, why expect things to be for free because you think it should be?

if you pay $30 , which isn't much money if you are playing the game constantly., you can get a lot of content. $300 is a mass over exaggeration...

You seem to make a lot of unflattering assumptions about freemium players yet claim to be trying to understand them. Meh.
  • bakeemawytoy
    78 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    I've bought very few things, and mostly scratch offs to get donuts, got lucky a few times doing that. I think the pricing system is unfair in this game, and I refuse to spend $50-100 every month to get donuts and buy all the items. It's a scam to me and because people are willing to do that, games like this will always exist.

However, I do buy donuts if I really want something, and manage them carefully when I get them. I've spent probably $20-30 on the game. I just don't have the $ to spend, also.

I agree- people shouldn't complain about it. There's nothing you can do, you can't change it, and you get a ton for free, so enjoy the game and work with what you get for free if that's what you choose.

I don't like the idea of spending endless amounts of real money on pixels when there's no guarantee that the game will continue. If they stop the game and stop running the servers, where does my money go? It's not like a PS3 game where I own the game, and even if the online content stops I can continue to play it.
  • nubbin71
    236 posts
    edited March 2014
    I am a Freemium player. I do not intend to purchase donuts. I am content to play within the limitations this choice of mine entails.

I agree that fellow Freemium players should not expect special rewards if they are not willing to pay for them. However, there is nothing wrong with us enjoying those few Premium items/donuts EA decides to gift to everyone.

That said, I do not think it reasonable that a Premium player feels entitled to anything beyond their purchase, as some seem to suggest on occasion, or that their willingness to pay for Premium content inherently makes them better players/people.

I respect the choice of Premium players to spend their money. Please respect mine not to. :)
  • Tischoo
    61 posts
    edited March 2014
    I play it without spending money and hmm complain is not really the right word, but
    Don´t know the prices for donuts outside Germany , but here e.g. 18 € for 300 donuts. If i compare now with the premium items available i can get for this as example :

1 x whale!

or

barney´s Bowlerama + a police car

or

the twins + cake factory

or... ... ...

So basically what i mean is the balance of prices of donuts and than what you get for them is sometimes a bit strange and expensive.

So i don´t complain that there is a lot premium content to pay for, but i think prices are not always fair (even for those who pay)

And i believe reason why freemium player are moaning around is, when you play up to lvl38 and collect all donuts, you will maybe collect about 180 donuts in total. And with this you can get only one or max 2 real cool items . I know and understand it´s still fair and they can be happy to get donuts at all, however as i said i think the balance is in general a bit over...

Just my subjective 50 cent...

• nickmdnmd29
    2021 posts
    edited March 2014
    nubbin71 wrote:
    I am a Freemium player. I do not intend to purchase donuts. I am content to play within the limitations this choice of mine entails.

I agree that fellow Freemium players should not expect special rewards if they are not willing to pay for them. However, there is nothing wrong with us enjoying those few Premium items/donuts EA decides to gift to everyone.

That said, I do not think it reasonable that a Premium player feels entitled to anything beyond their purchase, as some seem to suggest on occasion, or that their willingness to pay for Premium content inherently makes them better players/people.

I respect the choice of Premium players to spend their money. Please respect mine not to. :)
    +1 8)
  • Auganaut
    198 posts Member
    edited March 2014
    Not only am I a freemium player who doesn't think he will ever spend money on the game, I want EA to give me money for playing the game. And I want more doughnuts, more land, more premium stuff for free and the ability to give all the female characters in my Free Springfield bigger breasts... so there!! :twisted:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.