EA Forums - Banner

Give stackables back please.

Prev1
Well, for whatever reason, the FP update made it impossible for anything to be tapped again until the town's owner clears the handshake or cleans the graffiti. As a consequence, you can no longer clean a neighbor's graffiti (which would steal their friend points) you can no longer wait around for the Simpson house to just regenerate, and handshakes can't be stacked because of course that takes multiple taps on the same thing without the town's owner clearing it. So yeah, it seems to be FP related.

Replies

  • MR_Plow123
    85 posts
    edited April 2014
    That didn't start with the FP update, that started with the Valentine's Day update. Stacking wasn't just taken away for kicks, it was a bug that was fixed. Fixing that didn't make the game more stable, but it fixed that "bug."
  • casinolyrics
    133 posts
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    That didn't start with the FP update, that started with the Valentine's Day update. Stacking wasn't just taken away for kicks, it was a bug that was fixed. Fixing that didn't make the game more stable, but it fixed that "bug."
    So why give any effort to something that made everybody happy. Why not spend that time on real glitches. No offense intended, but I am sure you are 100% wrong with that take on things. EA can't possibly be that stupid.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    That didn't start with the FP update, that started with the Valentine's Day update.
    Nonsense. No buildings could be tapped at all during Vday, it was all characters.
    Stacking wasn't just taken away for kicks, it was a bug that was fixed. Fixing that didn't make the game more stable, but it fixed that "bug."
    By this logic, cleaning a neighbor's graffiti was also a "bug." Which, perhaps it was, but you don't get to have it both ways when both things were eliminated at the same time.
  • MR_Plow123
    85 posts
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    That didn't start with the FP update, that started with the Valentine's Day update. Stacking wasn't just taken away for kicks, it was a bug that was fixed. Fixing that didn't make the game more stable, but it fixed that "bug."
    So why give any effort to something that made everybody happy. Why not spend that time on real glitches. No offense intended, but I am sure you are 100% wrong with that take on things. EA can't possibly be that stupid.

    lol If you suddenly got an infinite amount of in game cash, would you be happy? I'd say they should fix a bug like that. Just because you like the effects of a bug doesn't make it not a bug.
    There are a lot of things EA spends time on when they could be spending time on stability. They also do have more than one guy coding this game so I would imagine that they spend time going after more than one glitch at a time, even the ones we can't see.
    Stability issues, though common, don't affect every single user. Stacking could be used by anyone.

    EA couldn't be that stupid? Stacks lead to XP and cash. Cash leads to more XP. Enough XP leads to bonus donuts. More free bonus donuts means you don't buy as many donuts from them. Of course they'd want to take care of that.
    neuroheart wrote:
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    That didn't start with the FP update, that started with the Valentine's Day update.
    Nonsense. No buildings could be tapped at all during Vday, it was all characters.

    The concept of not being able to tap something until it had been cleared was introduced during Valentine's Day, they just changed what you could tap from people to buildings. I guess you could say they were completely separate and random events, but considering characters in neighboring towns still use the Valentine's Day animations (ie. all inside tasks are replaced by a different outdoor task), I think it makes a lot more sense to make the connection.
    neuroheart wrote:
    Stacking wasn't just taken away for kicks, it was a bug that was fixed. Fixing that didn't make the game more stable, but it fixed that "bug."
    By this logic, cleaning a neighbor's graffiti was also a "bug." Which, perhaps it was, but you don't get to have it both ways when both things were eliminated at the same time.
    [/quote]

    Wait how am I trying to get things both ways? Maybe cleaning neighbor's graffiti was a bug, we'll see if it's restored in that "big update that will fix things" people keep talking about. I wouldn't think cleaning graffiti is a bug simply because it allows those graffiti-able buildings to follow similar rules of the other buildings (according to the old handshake rules, where neighbor handshakes didn't need to be cleared by the owner). Everything back then could get tapped by neighbors an infinite number of times (given enough time had passed). The corn, tiles, etc. were the only ones that kept and accumulated the handshakes.

    Again, maybe it was a bug, but it seemed like it fit within the game mechanics a lot better than the tower of handshakes.
  • casinolyrics
    133 posts
    edited April 2014
    Really, you think EA is dumb enough to use their limited resources on XP gained donuts. Folks are losing their towns all around us. Wake the f up son.
  • maxeerg
    1010 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    No buildings could be tapped at all during Vday, it was all characters.

    Characters weren't tappable until after the first rose bush was grown. I visited my neighbors after the update, but before the rosebush finished. I had several neighbors who could not be tapped due to the lack of building regeneration.
  • MR_Plow123
    85 posts
    edited April 2014
    Really, you think EA is dumb enough to use their limited resources on XP gained donuts. Folks are losing their towns all around us. Wake the f up son.

    Again, lol.
    Limited resources? Yeah, I guess they're technically limited...I mean TSTO itself only made $105mill at the end of last fall quarter (sorry that's an oddly dated figure, it was the first search result).
    Of course they're going to go after any unintended way they are losing money (I use the term "losing" kind of liberally here, I mean it in the sense that companies lose money when someone pirates their product. They lose the potential sale that the person may have made. They take that stuff really seriously.).
    Why in the world do you think they care what priorities you have or what your game plan would be for fixing bugs? My guess would be they're not fixing just one thing at a time, as I said before. Turns out EA isn't one dude sitting in his mom's basement, they can hire multiple people to work on different issues. Some problems just take longer to fix. I would also wager that the login issues people are having are multifaceted. Who knows, maybe some situations that would have resulted in a lost town or wrong town bug havebeen dealt with.

    A bug that causes the same effect in every user's town is way easier then having to figure out which devices crash, which accounts get locked up, the frequency of these events, etc.

    I'm not an EA apologist, because I think the game is probably coded pretty sloppily given how it runs, but if you're looking for explanations you've got them.

    But let's say it was a "feature" that they removed (Have they done that before? Excluding special events and the like). Your logic would then let me tell you "Really, you think EA is dumb enough to use their limited resources on XP gained donuts. Folks are losing their towns all around us. Wake up son."

    Wait, do you actually think they removed the stackables for literally no reason? If the issue was with FP and they wanted to keep the (then) "feature" in the game, they could have easily worked around it. FP wouldn't affect the any of the stackables at all since the neighbor visiting gets the same reward FP wise regardless of which building he taps. If you want to talk about not rewriting graffiti, since in your scenario stacking is a feature, why not let us stack graffiti?
  • beeblebrox900
    1314 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    More free bonus donuts means you don't buy as many donuts from them.

    That is complete and utter rubbish. The only reason for the game giving you 3 free donuts is so you buy donuts. 3 donuts for maxing XP doesnt stop you from buying donuts, it encourages you to buy donuts as you can't really buy anything with the small amounts they give away. Even when they seemed to give away large amounts of donuts, like Halloween, I doubt anyone collected enough for a building or character from the extra donuts. No, you got maybe half way to a building so the temptation increases for you to buy the other half. Of course not everyone will act this way, but its a calculated strategy to encourage you to. That being said, the stackables, really only encouraged you to make extra town after extra town so doubtful it'll come back if it was even intended to be there in the first place.
  • casinolyrics
    133 posts
    edited April 2014
    You are way off Plow, the new FP system had a side effect that happened to kill stackables. If EA was at all proactive and or competent about anything it would be the wrong-town & freedonuts. Both are stronger than ever, in full effect. Make sense off all that son.
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    You are way off Plow, the new FP system had a side effect that happened to kill stackables. If EA was at all proactive and or competent about anything it would be the wrong-town & freedonuts. Both are stronger than ever, in full effect. Make sense off all that son.

    Those things may be harder to fix. Son.
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    So EA fixed the stackable glitch. Why would the intentionally break their game again?
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited April 2014
    Would nice to see the stackables come back for sure as it would certainly help my kids town with getting all the SP tiles instead of paying loads of cash and waiting days on end, other than that i'm not majorly worried about it

    It was nice while it lasted i guess
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • rpk333236
    224 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    What would we gain if this bug returned? I started in late January so was too low level when it went away.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    how am I trying to get things both ways? I wouldn't think cleaning graffiti is a bug simply because it allows those graffiti-able buildings to follow similar rules of the other buildings (according to the old handshake rules, where neighbor handshakes didn't need to be cleared by the owner).
    The stackables followed that same rule, where neighbor handshakes didn't need to be cleared by the owner. But they do need to be cleared by the owner, now. That same functionality that removed the stacking "bug" also removed the cleaning "bug."
    (Arguing that one is a bug and one is not based on them disappearing at the exact same time for the exact same reason is trying to have it both ways.)
  • epolng
    298 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I love this thread! Remember back when the stackable thing was happening and everybody just wanted to know when they would fix it? LOL
  • MR_Plow123
    85 posts
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    More free bonus donuts means you don't buy as many donuts from them.

    That is complete and utter rubbish. The only reason for the game giving you 3 free donuts is so you buy donuts. 3 donuts for maxing XP doesnt stop you from buying donuts, it encourages you to buy donuts as you can't really buy anything with the small amounts they give away. Even when they seemed to give away large amounts of donuts, like Halloween, I doubt anyone collected enough for a building or character from the extra donuts. No, you got maybe half way to a building so the temptation increases for you to buy the other half. Of course not everyone will act this way, but its a calculated strategy to encourage you to. That being said, the stackables, really only encouraged you to make extra town after extra town so doubtful it'll come back if it was even intended to be there in the first place.

    Uhh I remember hearing lots of stories of people earning tons of donuts on Halloween. Your argument is like saying "Hey, if people pirate our antivirus program maybe they'll buy our data backup program. I mean, just our antivirus program alone isn't enough to make sure anyone will have a completely secure computer." I guess small developers that nobody knows may use that tactic to get their name out there, but have you watched how EA does things at all?
    Of course they give you the opportunity to get three donuts so you'll buy more, who in the world is arguing that? I'm just saying if the rate that you're getting your bonus donuts is higher than they expected they'll do something about it. In level 38 I got ~9 bonus levels, I guarantee you if I had corn and tiles going I would have been able to get way more (and my multiplier isn't even that high compared to some of the vets).
    The extremes are where EA loses more money, but with an easy way to get tons of XP that extreme was getting more and more normal.
    You are way off Plow, the new FP system had a side effect that happened to kill stackables. If EA was at all proactive and or competent about anything it would be the wrong-town & freedonuts. Both are stronger than ever, in full effect. Make sense off all that son.

    Ok.

    1)Please stop calling me son.
    2) I have told you plenty of reasoning to support my claims. I guess you're right, they could be flipping hundreds of coins to decide each decision in the game so every choice is random.
    3) At this point, after I've told you why your theory doesn't make sense and why mine does, you're just reverting to "Nope, this affected that for some reason. If anyone had half a brain they'd see it my way." I can't argue with that because you're not listening to any of the points I've made. It's like I'm talking to a deaf person. They can probably tell I'm trying to say something, but absolutely no words are making it through, no matter what words I use.
    4) Why make a thread where you ask why something happened in the second sentence (and in the third sentence admit that you may just not get it), if you're just going to put your fingers in your ears? If you think I'm wrong, please tell me what you think is wrong instead of just bluntly refusing everything.
    neuroheart wrote:
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    how am I trying to get things both ways? I wouldn't think cleaning graffiti is a bug simply because it allows those graffiti-able buildings to follow similar rules of the other buildings (according to the old handshake rules, where neighbor handshakes didn't need to be cleared by the owner).
    The stackables followed that same rule, where neighbor handshakes didn't need to be cleared by the owner. But they do need to be cleared by the owner, now. That same functionality that removed the stacking "bug" also removed the cleaning "bug."
    (Arguing that one is a bug and one is not based on them disappearing at the exact same time for the exact same reason is trying to have it both ways.)

    Yes and no. I mean, what you're saying is true that they need to be cleared by the owner now, but I'm just saying I don't think that function of the stackables is what made them a glitch. I think the pure fact that they could be stacked is the glitch part. You could say that the stacking is just an extreme form of the graffiti routine, but I'd say that I think the extreme part is what makes it a glitch.
    Hopefully that makes it clear how I could think one could be a glitch and one could be a feature, but as I said before we'll find out eventually anyway. I didn't actually mean to, or think I did, bring up the graffiti until you mentioned it so I don't really have a strong opinion on that.
  • jwvfilms
    215 posts
    edited April 2014
    I think they did it because corn/tiles/channel 6
  • mamaog02
    37 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    WOW!! There is a lot of hostile arguing going on here! :evil:
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    MR_Plow123 wrote:
    I didn't actually mean to, or think I did, bring up the graffiti until you mentioned it so I don't really have a strong opinion on that.
    I mentioned it because the common argument for stacking being a bug (rather than being a deliberate attempt to encourage visits and make everything have some benefit attached to being tapped by a neighbor) is that it was removed. However, most people forget or ignore the graffiti cleaning being removed in the same way. I was just trying to point out, in a general way, that they were either both "bugs" or, alternately, the overall gameplay just changed a little; a new feature was introduced and some old features fell by the wayside. (It seems much more likely to me that it was the latter.)
  • 4junk3000
    5349 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I think you guys are blowing this way out of proportion.

    The stackable was a playable feature of the game. The farm, squidport, tv station and stage all had unique icons that could be multiple tapped by your neighbors. This was how they encouraged making friends, which has always been a game progression element. We'll call this the stackable feature. The stackable gave neighbors something to tap even in towns that had just been cleared of revenue. It would be totally counterproductive to not have the stackable, because neighbors need something to tap or they won't come back.

    Note a glitch of this feature was being able to exceed the squidport tile maximum.

    For this years valentine's, they changed game play in a way that eliminated the stackable feature. Tapping became based on chars rather than bldgs.

    After v-day, they changed game play again, introducing the FP system. This did several things:

    Increased neighbor activity significantly, without encouraging excessive creation of feeder towns
    Increased it in a way that is self serving, as in benefit by the more you visit, vs. the more you are visited
    Created a way to pace the intro of new decorations by making them earnable or very expensive to rush
    Removed the stackable feature that allowed us to accelerate our acquisition of real estate.

    And that last reason is the most obvious to me, because EA needs to decelerate the rate at which people play this game.

    The longer people play, the better odds of spending money, and the more time they have to develop new content with fewer grumpy customers.

    They are taking a lot of steps to slow down game play, now that there is a bulk of players waiting with hungry eyes at the last level. They will not just keep adding land, much like Monopoly isn't going to add streets. So they want to stretch game play time by slowing it down vs. actually making it longer.

    It's all about maximizing the return on what they've already developed, not about feeding the public's insatiable appetite for new Simpsons content. And it's also about maximum return vs. Cost when it cones to expectation of churn. They don't need more servers if people leaving makes room for new players who spend more to buy existing merchandize vs clamoring for new stuff.

    It all .seems very logical to me so i don't understand why there's so much debate over some of these things.

    But i do miss the stackable feature as i never got to grow corn, but if i had it would just mean i would be closer to becoming bored with this game, which i really don't want to happen any way. So i guess slowing down game play is a good thing. Make it last while you can!
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!