EA Forums - Banner

Game of Thrones Season 4 *spoilers, for the latest episode*

Prev1345
mwdalton
11545 posts Member
I did! Of course I did. Watched it as soon as it aired here, then again 2 hrs later. And then again at he encore showing of 7:30. Yeah I watched it 3 times, would've watched it 4 but decided I should visit my neighboureenos since I hadn't for the better part of a week.

I didn't find it as exciting as say S3E1 or S2E1 but it still left me wanting more. Will Arya kill her way to the top (I hope so!). Is Dany losing control of her dragons? Is Sansa unknowingly going to come between Tyrion and Shay? Is this the end for royal *? If it is will Jamie end up with Bree? What's going to go down during the battle for the Wall? Who is this new warrior prince? When are Arya and the real King going to hook up (it broke my heart when she was like "I'm your family" and he was like "no you're m'lady" ugh! No! You're meant to be together!) What are Marjorie's true alliegiences? Where the heck is Bran, what's going on with him? Will Riccon get a more important role this season? And why was Hodor not in the first episode?

Hodor!

I can't wait for ep 2! The hardest part is waiting for the next episode.

Edit: royal.. brother/sister inappropriate love

Replies

• sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    All those questions, but more importantly, is CookieKwan1 more passionate about Game of Thrones than The Simpsons? :shock:

I personally thought this was the strongest season opener since the very first episode. I simultaneously loved and hated the brief opening scene. The episode had good pacing and checked in with a myriad of characters effortlessly, including the "teen" dragons rebellious' side.

Not sure I care for the recast of Daario - the jury is still out on that one for me, but the closing scene was just...so...awesome! What a strong finish. Looking forward to seeing more from Arya (and the Hound) this season!
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    "Little girl wants a pony" :lol:

The Daario recast was jarring. He actually has a beard, though, like he does in the books, soo...
  • sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    mwdalton wrote:
    "Little girl wants a pony" :lol:
    giving-thumbs-up-winking-smiley-emoticon.gif
    I guess we should never really be too surprised by a recast on GoT - aren't we on our third "Mountain" (Gregor Clegane)?
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
  • CookieKwan1
    962 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    Haha no Sandwedge I love Simpsons more, I just get more excited for new GoT, I'm a fiend for gritty content and the show overflows with it.
    I still definitely loved this start with the reworking the blade but I wanted more impact then what it gave me. (I'm greedy haha)
    I thought I was imagining things with the recast of Daario. I suppose I shall adjust :?

I laughed so hard when Arya got her flash white horse. Girl knows how to get a pony! And she got Needle back :mrgreen:

I have not read the books, I started to read the first one way back in the day but put it down in favour of a series by a different author. I never got back to it, which I do and don't regret. I compare TV and books so bad, if TV hasn't adapted a book properly it kills me. If an author rushes a series to keep up with movies (*cough* the travesty that is Harry Potter books 5-7*cough*) it nearly always ends up a hot mess. So when I fell in love, hard and fast, with HBO's GoT I didn't want to wreck it for myself by jumping back into the books. Once they wrap up the entire series I'll read them but until then I know I'd get too judgy lol.
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I've read all the books. I still get surprised by the way they portray certain things, but mostly in a good way. :)

He might not get to finish the book series before the TV series is finished, though :shock:
  • Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I thought it was a great way to continue on from the questions left behind last year. I'm actually considering reading the book, even though I don't like reading books after they have been made into movies or tv series. My only disappointment is that they changed the actor who played Daario Naharis. It's been such an unexpected storyline, I can't wait to watch whatever plot twist, turns and all out mayhem that will play out next. My only hope is that King Joffery get his comeuppance soon.
  • GamerGD3
    3029 posts New member
    edited April 2014
    When are Arya and the real King going to hook up (it broke my heart when she was like "I'm your family" and he was like "no you're m'lady" ugh! No! You're meant to be together!)

A minor explanation - he's not the "real" king. He is a * (born from a different mother - not Cersei), so he can't be the real king despite being the King's real son. If you already decided that Joffery isn't the legit king, it would mean Stannis (wasn't shown yet in season 4's first episode) would be the "real" king. That's from following how they handle bloodlines, Kingships in Westoros.
  • CookieKwan1
    962 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    GamerGD3 wrote:
    When are Arya and the real King going to hook up (it broke my heart when she was like "I'm your family" and he was like "no you're m'lady" ugh! No! You're meant to be together!)

A minor explanation - he's not the "real" king. He is a * (born from a different mother - not Cersei), so he can't be the real king despite being the King's real son. If you already decided that Joffery isn't the legit king, it would mean Stannis (wasn't shown yet in season 4's first episode) would be the "real" king. That's from following how they handle bloodlines, Kingships in Westoros.

That's cute. Their silly mixed up bloodlines don't matter when the throne is rightfully Daenerys'. Stannis should've died at the end of season 2. I couldn't remember the kid's name but you still knew who I was talking about so yeah.. :roll:
  • fudgeo9
    296 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    Son and I watched seasons 1 2 and 3 last week ready for season 4, I saw a link to top 10 spoiler notes for S4.... omg!!
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    fudgeo9 wrote:
    Son and I watched seasons 1 2 and 3 last week ready for season 4, I saw a link to top 10 spoiler notes for S4.... omg!!

Let's not spoil anything in this thread for episodes that haven't aired yet, m'kay? ;)
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    The 161 miles thing was a bit intense. She wanted to look at all their faces :shock:
  • fudgeo9
    296 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    Lol my lips are sealed. Not even told kids the contents apart to tell them I predicted one thing right
  • theslayer369
    2002 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I've been waiting for GOT to come back, I love it. Have read the first book and have started the second, but I don't know if I'll read the rest.

I thought that when the guy gave Arya the coin and told her to quote the words, he said do that when you need me then he turned around and he had a different face? Doies anyone else remember that or have I got it wrong?
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I've been waiting for GOT to come back, I love it. Have read the first book and have started the second, but I don't know if I'll read the rest.

I thought that when the guy gave Arya the coin and told her to quote the words, he said do that when you need me then he turned around and he had a different face? Doies anyone else remember that or have I got it wrong?

Yeah, that happened. She still has the coin.
  • theslayer369
    2002 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    Yes I know she still has the coin, but on the Thronecast programme which shows after GOT they said Arya quotes the saying to give her strength. So which is correct giving her strength or calling him to help her? Maybe I should read some more of the books :D
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    Yes I know she still has the coin, but on the Thronecast programme which shows after GOT they said Arya quotes the saying to give her strength. So which is correct giving her strength or calling him to help her? Maybe I should read some more of the books :D

I think he tells her to quote it to people in the Free Cities to get assistance, or to be able to get the means to contact him.

I think she also quotes it to herself so she remembers it, or like a mantra, type of thing. Like the way she chants the names of people who have wronged her, so she remembers.
  • EmmieEmmies
    83 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    You're right, MWDalton. He tells her, and she says it with her nightly "prayer" of people who have wronged her so that she can remember it. It gradually becomes more a part of her (as does her list of people), and she ends up saying it to herself like a mantra.

I like both the books and the show, personally. I loved the details in the books, but I hated almost all of the characters. They annoyed me to no end with their ridiculous flaws and their behaviors. I only liked maybe three of the characters. But I love the storyline and the details, some of which you just don't get from the television show. However, I am finding myself more drawn to the characters in the television show because they are not as...obnoxiously horrible. The show seems to give them redeeming qualities, and sometimes leaves out some aspects that just made me hate them in the books.

Cookie, I agree wholeheartedly about Arya and the actual son of the king (I can't remember his name, either). I sooo wanted them to get together. However, I don't think Daenerys is the true ruler. The throne was taken from them, much as they took the throne by conquest in the first place. They came from another land, conquered the seven kingdoms, and decided they were going to rule over all of it. (This may be an opinion of mine because I REALLY didn't like her in the books. REALLY REALLY hated her.) I love all of your questions, and I am very interested to see what they do with the characters, as they have subtly changed the fates of other characters.

******SPOILER ALERT (FROM SEASON THREE) BELOW HERE************************

Like with the Red Wedding. Rob's wife was not pregnant in the books, and she did not get killed with the rest of them. Her family was actually in on it, though she did apparently develop real feelings for Rob. However, after learning this, we never really see her again (yet), so it was a minor adjustment.
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    I liked the characters in the book BECAUSE they were flawed! :twisted: They felt more real, to me. I really like the way the TV show actors portray them, though, as well. Most of them, anyway.

I'm still not sure about the portrayal of Prince Oberon...I am intrigued, though :)
  • EmmieEmmies
    83 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    There's flawed, and there's ridiculous. Lol. I do like flawed characters, but the characters in the GoT books are just so.....annoying. They grate on my nerves. I don't know how to explain it. It wasn't bad for the first two books. But after five books, the characters slowly get drawn deeper into their flaws, like they are devolving. I do love to hate them, though. :)

Edit: stupid typo.
  • mwdalton
    11545 posts Member
    edited April 2014
    The Hound had some of the best lines in this episode, hands down:

The Hound: I'm not a thief.
    Arya: You're fine with murdering little boys, but thieving is beneath you.
    The Hound: Man's got to have a code.

The Hound: Of course you named your sword.
    Arya: Lots of people name their swords.
    The Hound: Lots of *.

The Hound: You're a talker. Listening to talkers makes me thirsty and hungry. Think I'll take two chickens.
    Polliver: You don't seem to understand the situation.
    The Hound: I understand that if any more words come pouring out your * mouth, I'm going to have to eat every * chicken in this room.
    Polliver: You lived your life for the king. You're going to die for some chickens?
    The Hound: Someone is.

Classic stuff :lol:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!