EA Forums - Banner

How Does Friends' Tapping Affect Timer

If you log in 6 minutes later, the timer has already reset, thus, your friends will be able to tap it at that point. If you tap it after 6 minutes, you'll reset the timer again and it will be another 5 minutes until anyone (you or visitors) can tap it again.

So, if you have brown houses out specifically for friends, it's really best if you just never tap them, whether they have a handshake or not. There's a good chance you might just be resetting the timer and making them wait longer for the houses to become available.

Replies

• sonny1618
    1543 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    Actually, if it has a handshake then your friend has already reset the timer and you can go ahead and collect.
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited December 2012
    Nine9Nines wrote:
    If you log in 6 minutes later, the timer has already reset, thus, your friends will be able to tap it at that point. If you tap it after 6 minutes, you'll reset the timer again and it will be another 5 minutes until anyone (you or visitors) can tap it again.

So, if you have brown houses out specifically for friends, it's really best if you just never tap them, whether they have a handshake or not. There's a good chance you might just be resetting the timer and making them wait longer for the houses to become available.
    I'm actually trying to understand how the timer reset affects my payout... Not just for the brown houses or Christmas.

Take purple houses. If one of mine is ready, a friend taps it, and I log in 4 hours after they tapped it... What do I get? One payout? Two payouts (the original plus the second one after they restarted the timer)? Some residual time advantage until the next payout?
  • El Jorge44
    189 posts
    edited December 2012
    I always thought it was a single payout no matter what?

edit* has EA ever said anything on this matter?
  • Nine9Nines
    930 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    dcline414 wrote:
    Nine9Nines wrote:

I'm actually trying to understand how the timer reset affects my payout... Not just for the brown houses or Christmas.

Take purple houses. If one of mine is ready, a friend taps it, and I log in 4 hours after they tapped it... What do I get? One payout? Two payouts (the original plus the second one after they restarted the timer)? Some residual time advantage until the next payout?

When a friend taps a building, it resets the timer on that building at the point they tap it.

You still only get one payout when you tap it, but the next payout will come sooner since they reset the timer earlier.

Using the brown houses...

-Timer is 5 minutes
    -Friend taps it when it's ready, timer resets to 5 minutes
    -You tap it 2 minutes later and collect from it, but timer is already counting down from when your friend tapped it, so only 3 minutes remain until it can be collected from again.

If you don't tap it within 5 minutes, there's no benefit.

Same goes for longer duration buildings.

-White house is 12 hours
    -Friend collects from it
    -you enter 2 hours later and remove the handshake and get the payout
    - 10 hours remain until it can be collected from again, instead of 12
  • dcline414
    863 posts
    edited December 2012
    El Jorge44 wrote:

That's what it appears to be to me.

So if true, unless your friend returns to their town before that timer reaches zero, there is no benefit to them. That makes tapping anything with a timer less than 3 hours nearly useless unless the owner is constantly logged in and playing.
  • Nine9Nines
    930 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    sonny1618 wrote:
    Actually, if it has a handshake then your friend has already reset the timer and you can go ahead and collect.

But if you don't clear the handshake within 5 minutes of it arriving, you'll just be clearing the house for an extra 5 minutes when you do, since it will already have regenerated for visitors at that point.
  • El Jorge44
    189 posts
    edited December 2012
    dcline414 wrote:
    El Jorge44 wrote:

So if true, unless your friend returns to their town before that timer reaches zero, there is no benefit to them. That makes tapping anything with a timer less than 3 hours nearly useless unless the owner is constantly logged in and playing.

which is pretty much me. lol

unless someone visits in the middle of the night.
  • Nine9Nines
    930 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    dcline414 wrote:
    El Jorge44 wrote:

Yes, and in reality, even 3 hours doesn't serve much benefit since they'd make more if you just vandalized them (plus cleaning it up helps their righteousness rating).
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.