EA Forums - Banner

blurred lines

Prev13
What Pharell song are you talking about? The only blurred lines I know is that terrible rip-off of Marvin Gaye, by that creep Robin Thicke.

Replies

• NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    What Pharell song are you talking about? The only blurred lines I know is that terrible rip-off of Marvin Gaye, by that creep Robin Thicke.

You mean this one ;)

Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • johnny50373
    2768 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:

You mean this one ;)

Ha! I didn't know there was a version where the girls have clothes on.
  • LeuchtbojeConny
    544 posts
    edited May 2014
    lol
    That's exactly the one I mean.
    Yes, there is a "nude" version and a regular one...

I told you that I don't like the song. ;)
    But my friend Doris does and I promised her to ask you for the meaning...

So would anybody be so kind to help me out? Pretty please?

Is it an idiomatic expression?
  • juliet603
    17879 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    a lot of people complained because it sounds like they're saying the girl wants sex whether she admits it or not (which sounds a bit rapey) but Pharrell was actually on TV this morning talking about it and he says that isn't what he meant.

If you search BBC Pharrell there's a video of him chatting about stuff and that's one of the things he talks about. I think it's only about 1min30 long. It might help, might not, because I wasn't really paying attention to what he said lol! :lol:

edit: the title of the one with the video is Pharrell Williams On Popularity Surge
  • juliet603
    17879 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I just thought, if you mean the term Blurred Lines in general, in the song I think it's used as another way of saying "giving mixed signals" type thing. :?
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    A blurred line is when a girl can't give a straight answer because she's drunk or some other reason OR she says no and the guy decides that her NO means yes. The song is about * and it's a disgusting song.

Edit: it blocked out r a p e.
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:

You mean this one ;)

:shock: There's a version with the girls without their clothes :shock: How have i not seen this :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I thought they were singing about the fact that they all needed glasses...

blurrylines.jpg
  • johnny50373
    2768 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:

You mean this one ;)

:shock: There's a version with the girls without their clothes :shock: How have i not seen this :lol:
    Search "explicit", my friend. Search "explicit.
  • LeuchtbojeConny
    544 posts
    edited May 2014
    A blurred line is when a girl can't give a straight answer because she's drunk or some other reason OR she says no and the guy decides that her NO means yes. The song is about * and it's a disgusting song.

Songs where the woman is called b*tch usually are disgusting.
    Unless the singer is Jon laJoie. ;)
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I've seen a strong anti-mysogynist stance against this song, because as I understand it, the "blurred lines" means when a women says no, she might actually mean yes. I really try to ignore this song as much as I can, so I haven't really studied the lyrics. But that is what I've been told.
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    "What rhymes with hug me?..."

i like this song. it's a great party song with a nice, bouncy beat.
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    ax0n01 wrote:
    You mean this bouncy beat?
  • MaxxSpider
    5465 posts Member
    edited May 2014

Songs where the woman is called b*tch usually are disgusting.
    Unless the singer is Jon laJoie. ;)

Jon LaJoie is awesome
    much better than this crap which i can say i don't think i ever heard before
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    Wow, that explicit version wasn't bad! :shock:
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    ax0n01 wrote:

Hmmm. I didn't know that. But I'm not surprised, lots of hip-hop uses samples.
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited May 2014
    The song is about * and it's a disgusting song.

:thumbup:
  • sandwedgeking
    2630 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    I don't really care for the song based on the content and blatantly unoriginal use of the Marvin Gaye tune, however, if you haven't seen this version, give it a look. Thicke with Jimmy Fallon and The Roots using classroom instruments:
    Stuff and Things - Designs by SWK
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited May 2014
    This song is sick. If he didn't mean it that way then he should take another listen to the lyrics because I don't think the words he wrote and strung together mean whatever the heck it is that he thinks they mean. This song is about lack of consent, and male entitlement to women. It's sick and disgusting, and another example of mainstream media reinforcing bad stereotypes that help to breed psychos like the nut that shot up a CA campus last Friday because he felt that it was his right to a woman's body. This world is F'd. :x

• Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited May 2014
    ax0n01 wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:
    ax0n01 wrote:

Hmmm. I didn't know that. But I'm not surprised, lots of hip-hop uses samples.
    That's true, but usually in hip-hop they will acknowledge where they got their samples from. Robin Thicke and Co. tried to act like they came up with this beat all by themselves. Marvin Gaye's kids had to take their record label to court, and settled. So while I'm glad Marvin's family got some money from it, it pretty much proves the beat was ripped off. And apparently its not the only beat Thick has ripped off of Marvin Gaye either. Thicke's "Love after War" sounds a lot like Gaye's "After the Dance."

I get the appeal of Thicke's version as a party song. But I've liked Marvin Gaye's version for a very long time. And it's disgusting that Thicke would think that Marvin Gaye's music is so old, that no one would remember.

I'll stick with "Got to give it up." It's got the same bouncy beat, but its both artistically and morally way better. It also doesn't have that annoying "hey hey hey," which is an obvious rip-off of Fat Albert.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.