EA Forums - Banner

Welcome to the 21st century!

Hahaha! Nice post!

I don't really care how it's spelled.

Replies

• JimJ321
    4208 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I don't get your sense of humor. Is this a joke? Dunkin Donuts has been around since 1952 and is in over 32 countries. That seems more like a 20th century slang for doughnut.

b8k6d1.jpg
  • mikepellerin60
    489 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    From the Grammarist:

Doughnut vs. donut

The dictionary-approved spelling for the ring-shaped cake made of dough and fried in fat is doughnut. The shortened donut has been around since the late 1800s, but it wasn’t popularized until the late 20th century, when the successful American doughnut chain Dunkin’ Donuts made it ubiquitous. Today, writers outside the U.S. still favor doughnut by a wide margin. Donut appears about a third of the time in published American writing.

Donut is a simpler spelling, so it may grow even more common now that it has a foothold. Those of us who don’t wish to assist Dunkin’ Donuts’s branding would be wise to resist the trend, though.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/doughnut-donut/
    Moe: "Moe's tavern, home of the worlds smallest large screen TV."
  • AJtheboss1
    3864 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    From the Grammarist:

Doughnut vs. donut

The dictionary-approved spelling for the ring-shaped cake made of dough and fried in fat is doughnut. The shortened donut has been around since the late 1800s, but it wasn’t popularized until the late 20th century, when the successful American doughnut chain Dunkin’ Donuts made it ubiquitous. Today, writers outside the U.S. still favor doughnut by a wide margin. Donut appears about a third of the time in published American writing.

Donut is a simpler spelling, so it may grow even more common now that it has a foothold. Those of us who don’t wish to assist Dunkin’ Donuts’s branding would be wise to resist the trend, though.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/doughnut-donut/
    Thank you for that. Someone had to do a reality check around here. :thumbup:
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I spell it both ways, depending on whether I'm on here or in the real world!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!