EA Forums - Banner

Soda vs. Pop

Prev1
ax0n01
2385 posts Member
Ratman would say coke if he was drinking coke. Ratman would usually say the name of the drink.

Replies

• juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm like Ratman I'd just call whatever drink it was by it's name.

I never understood what "soda" is, I mean is it a type of drink or just what you call fizzy drinks? And what's a club soda? So confused lol!
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Ratman5674 wrote:
    Ratman would say coke if he was drinking coke. Ratman would usually say the name of the drink.
    juliet603 wrote:

I never understood what "soda" is, I mean is it a type of drink or just what you call fizzy drinks? And what's a club soda? So confused lol!

Exactly. That's why everyone should just call it "Pop" or call it "Coke" (or by it's brand name). I mean just look at that map.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    juliet603 wrote:

"soda"= the carbonation process, so soda water, soda pop are both "sodas"

It's carbonated soft drinks as a whole.

I am surprised that tonic has all but disappeared from that list, it held on for a while in a small area.
  • Corrcorrcorr
    1140 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm a coke girl. The entire soda, pop etc is not familiar for me so I'll go with coke because that's the only thing I'm sure of :D
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I've never called it soda or pop, don't know about others from the UK but I just say fizzy juice, and I don't drink it much anymore, the stuff isn't worth 120 calories per glass :lol:
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    It's interesting that the UK/Europe are unfamiliar with the terms "Soda" and "Pop."

It's kind of a dialect-thing here for what you prefer to call it. You can actually strike up a conversation/debate on the subject when visiting other parts of the country.
  • Quemical
    152 posts
    edited June 2014
    Always been soda to me.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    ax0n01 wrote:
    It's interesting that the UK/Europe are unfamiliar with the terms "Soda" and "Pop."

It's kind of a dialect-thing here for what you prefer to call it. You can actually strike up a conversation/debate on the subject when visiting other parts of the country.

It gets funnier to Europeans with more minute things like frappes vs. milkshakes :lol:
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    ax0n01 wrote:

I am familiar with the words soda and pop as they are mentioned in a lot of US shows, it just sounds weird when a Brit says it :lol:
  • matiascattus773
    72 posts
    edited June 2014
    It's typically called Pop here in Canada, but having American family I've always called it Soda.

Also it really annoys Canucks when you call it Soda...so even more reason to keep calling it that. I mean I might just get an angry letter ^.^
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    MrJuanMata wrote:
    I've never called it soda or pop, don't know about others from the UK but I just say fizzy juice, and I don't drink it much anymore, the stuff isn't worth 120 calories per glass :lol:

I know right, that stuff is so fattening and bad for you! (she says drinking beer....) :P
    ax0n01 wrote:

A lot of people say pop over here but it tends to be what older people, especially grandparents say to young children, like to a 4 year old: "do you want some fizzy pop?"

As for soda I don't think I've ever heard anyone here use that.
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    juliet603 wrote:
    MrJuanMata wrote:

I know right, that stuff is so fattening and bad for you! (she says drinking beer....) :P
    ax0n01 wrote:

A lot of people say pop over here but it tends to be what older people, especially grandparents say to young children, like to a 4 year old: "do you want some fizzy pop?"

As for soda I don't think I've ever heard anyone here use that.
    Haha when I was younger I would drink so much of it.. And I don't drink beer, not because it's bad for you etc I just hate the taste :lol:
  • wilki1999
    3974 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    ax0n01 wrote:

It's funny you say that because we do (or i do) use the term pop rarely to describe a form of fizzy drink. Soda is it's own drink, and is very rare over here in UK. For those of you who dont know what it is, it's kinda lemonade without lemon.
    I would usually call the drink by the name on the sticker.
  • ecneralc
    3182 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm Canadian and it's pop.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I cannot bring myself to call it a soda. I worked in an ice cream joint as a kid and a "soda" was a special drink, made by hand, from carbonated water and a syrup. Almost always people would also want ice cream in it. Hence, an "ice cream soda".

And "I want a pop.", sounds like someone needs a father. :-)

So I call the drink by its brand name.

I find it hilarious that "coke" is becoming a generic word for carbonated drink.

"I'll take a coke. Make that a 7-up." :)
  • rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    George Costanza votes for Soda
  • nicholasd30
    6646 posts
    edited June 2014
    I say pop or by brand name. I know some Americans call it soda but over here it's mainly by brand name. But soda is used with juice to make the juice fizzy hence orange with soda water.
  • rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I call it crap :mrgreen:
  • nicholasd30
    6646 posts
    edited June 2014
    rolybert7 wrote:
    I call it crap :mrgreen:
    I wouldn't like to order that when out lol
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Edit:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!