So all of the South are Bigots?

Prev1345
Its just a joke ... ment in good fun not to hurt or antagonize

Replies

• neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    deathpo wrote:
    I just wonder when it will be ok to label all muslims as terrorists?, all Jewish people as cheap?, or all French people as cowards with an odor problem?
    You mean those things that happen all the time? (Particularly in comedy.)

Also, gingers have no souls and gypsies are thieves. And women nag because men are lazy. Most comedy insults someone. It's all fun and games until you're on the receiving end, I guess.
  • adamscottc
    50 posts
    edited June 2014
    I think this is a joke, if you don't find it funny, you can complain, or learn to deal with such jokes.

Some of the stuff groundskeeper willie says is a bit shady (I'm Scottish), but I deal - it's funny and furthermore just a caricature.

Are you a bigot? No? Then don't take offence, I'm sure EA doesn't think so either.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    adamscottc wrote:
    Some of the stuff groundskeeper willie says is a bit shady (I'm Scottish), but I deal - it's funny and furthermore just a caricature.
    I've wondered whether Willie is offensive to Scottish people. He can be rather ridiculous. It's not all bad, though. He may be overly fond of haggis and kilts, but he's strong and no-nonsense. And I think in one of the Halloween episodes he repeatedly tries to save the day. (And in one of them true to kill everyone. Oh well.)
  • moonshine860
    207 posts
    edited June 2014
    If this is the first time the Simpsons has made a joke about a cultural, social, or ethnic group you belong to then consider yourself lucky. Let's all think back to *. Patricks day when the Irish were make fun of for drinking a lot. The Scottish get it all the time. I think the Simpsons has probably taken a jab at everyone at some point over the years. It wouldn't be the same show if they didn't. I don't think anyone at ea or the Simpsons writers actually thinks everyone from the south is racist nor do I think that one joke is going to make anyone else in the world think that. It's just a joke...
  • ephphoneapps
    4070 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    something tells me OP's head would have exploded when Rich Texan was released.
  • teo47
    944 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I think taking that statement and concluding that EA is calling all southerners bigots is taking a molehill and turning it into Mount Everest. Just like all people of Irish descent aren't raging alcoholics despite the jokes made during the *. Patrick's Day events.
    New neighbors always welcome!
  • NMayo
    898 posts
    edited June 2014
    joke. game. fantasy. not real.
  • A_KidAndHisCape
    301 posts Member
    edited June 2014

Always a few crybabies make their voices heard when The Simpsons make the funny train rounds and it hits the never of a "it's only funny when it's about someone else" nut job.

I give the thread a B- it needs work and may I suggest doing a search for the NRA (bottom of the humanity barrel) threads for inspiration then try again.
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    I still get a laugh remembering how Brazil got all upset over that one episode of the show when they went to Brazil
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Its okay. You'll live. :roll:
  • leongeiser
    122 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    "Lighten up Francis"
    “Well, I’m so moved I renounce science"
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Parody and satire- the hallmarks of The Simpsons since 12/17/89

They make fun of everybody, they love particular targets and the south is one of the biggest and easiest targets to crack jokes about. If they really wanted to do harm to the south the creators would ban the showing of their show down there but they don't.
  • patzmcm
    703 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I am regularly offended when I watch The Simpsons. That's why I watch it.
  • OnePoundBeef
    680 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    deathpo wrote:
    I have always known that the Simpsons creators were extremely liberal in their views but this issue is squarely on EA and all those associated with this game for allowing bigoted statements to make it to their game.
    Starting Krusty the Hair Colorist Pt. 1 with the ending line “Huh. I never knew bigotry was this emotionally satisfying. I think I finally get the South.”

So from what I understand everyone that is living in or is from the southern half of the US is automatically a bigot; people like myself, or my wife, or my one year old daughter… according to EA and TSTO we are all bigots. I would argue that EA (TSTO) and those that wrote and Ok’d such a statement are the ignorant bigots, to refer to millions of people as the very same thing.

I get that in the eyes of media that it is ok to bash anyone from Southern America, I just wonder when it will be ok to label all muslims as terrorists?, all Jewish people as cheap?, or all French people as cowards with an odor problem?

I know most people will not care and I do not expect EA to do anything other than at best make a boiler plate statement, and this topic will either be troll/flamed or locked and deleted (or both) but I will not be a part of any media that think ok to call millions of people bigots for simply being, no money, no EA games, no simpsons, none of it. IF EA and Simpsons and those associated with The Simpsons Tapped Out want to call me and my family bigots, then you can do it without my support and patronage.
    Us Brits consider the French to be cowards, not sure about the odour issue, we make many a white flag joke. It's all on good fun, just like ea is making jokes about the south.
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    If Vice President Dan Quayle can laugh at himself being parodied on The Simpsons, so can anyone from the south.

And for the record,mind am from Quayle's home state(Indiana), and even I had to laugh at the jokes the late night comics had at my state because of him
  • smohqy
    2111 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Us Brits consider the French to be cowards, not sure about the odour issue, we make many a white flag joke. It's all on good fun, just like ea is making jokes about the south.

Says the person with bad teeth who eats boiled pizza.

;)
  • lukeout007
    727 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    And this is where the whole **** idea of being "politically correct" comes in.

Seriously...calm down.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I am from Quayle's home state(Indiana), and even I had to laugh at the jokes the late night comics had at my state because of him
    I'm from Colorado. Comedy is having a field day with us right now (for our law, not our politicians) and I think it's hilarious. I'm not personally taking advantage of the new law, but it's actually been pretty good for the state. Housing market is doing great, tourism is doing great, jobs are up, and violent crime is down, so let them make their jokes. :P
  • baxbooch
    214 posts
    edited June 2014
    You're from the south and you don't see the bigotry all around you? You either live in a bubble or are one of those people that don't get that wanting gay people to have fewer rights than straight people does in fact make them a bigot. I couldn't say which.
  • amcevil
    350 posts
    edited June 2014
    Jeez, it's a joke. Like all groups of people, Southerners have done some things for which they should be lampooned, harangued, and/or reminded of constantly. If you're not ashamed of the past in the Southern U.S., then it's just possible that they could be talking about you.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.