EA Forums - Banner

So all of the South are Bigots?

Replies

• Ningyo42
    1465 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I see it as a show of how dumb Krusty can be and not a real insult. You can't get too much more South than I am in the US, even though I understand Floridians are not truly considered southerners, and I don't consider myself a bigot at all.
  • Tobewood
    112 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    As a lifelong Texan of Irish descent, I found it quite humorous. Relax, OP. And yes, we're all millionaires and ride our horses everywhere. :)
  • KrisV
    1840 posts
    edited June 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Violent crime is down, so let them make their jokes. :P

Would that be because every one is so high no one does anything? And I dont mean the altitude :P

Being from Louisiana and now living in the armpit of the country I mean Texas, I dont have an issue with the jokes the Simpsons or other shows like Family Guy makes. What I cant stand is the morons on Duck Dynasty, Swamp People,etc. that gives the South and more important, Louisiana a bad name or makes everyone else thinks thats how the South acts when its not.

I also cant stand a lot of the views others have here in the South, especially the ones living here in Texas cause they are so small minded and dumb as hell who act like they should still be living in the 1800s with their attitudes.
  • Starman_thc
    389 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    lukeout007 wrote:
    And this is where the whole **** idea of being "politically correct" comes in.

Seriously...calm down.

AMEN!!
  • adamscottc
    50 posts
    edited June 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    adamscottc wrote:
    Some of the stuff groundskeeper willie says is a bit shady (I'm Scottish), but I deal - it's funny and furthermore just a caricature.
    I've wondered whether Willie is offensive to Scottish people. He can be rather ridiculous. It's not all bad, though. He may be overly fond of haggis and kilts, but he's strong and no-nonsense. And I think in one of the Halloween episodes he repeatedly tries to save the day. (And in one of them true to kill everyone. Oh well.)

It's funny and ridiculous - it's not at all offensive! Some of the stereotypes are a bit boring or overused though.
    smohqy wrote:
    Us Brits consider the French to be cowards, not sure about the odour issue, we make many a white flag joke. It's all on good fun, just like ea is making jokes about the south.

Says the person with bad teeth who eats boiled pizza.

;)

Do you mean deep fried pizza? I think we Scots are to blame for that...we'll deep fry anything...sorry guys! (It's good though, if you're not too fussed about your arteries). I've never heard of French people being considered cowardly...but I think Scottish people might have slightly different cultural stereotypes for other nationalities, especially our near-neighbours haha
  • 3SS83
    108 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    As a Brit living in America, I have had more than enough people use stereotypes to have a little bit of fun at my expense. I just laugh it off, and wherever possible, fire back at them. You have to roll with it.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    KrisV wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:

Would that be because every one is so high no one does anything? And I dont mean the altitude :P
    That's one hypothesis. Might be more good mood than laziness, per se. Could also be that certain types of people lost a portion of their livelihood and left the area, or just have less reason to fight with each other. There are a lot of possible reasons ;)

(See there? Joking generalization that didn't insult me, even though it doesn't include me. See how that's done?)
  • rolybert7
    2776 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Well being an alien from Saturn I am totally offended at the way aliens are portrayed!

I don't have long tentacles! My 12 arms look nothing like the stereotype being shown!

Btw I am only slightly evil!!

Too the op I am from south Saturn
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    3SS83 wrote:
    As a Brit living in America, I have had more than enough people use stereotypes to have a little bit of fun at my expense. I just laugh it off, and wherever possible, fire back at them. You have to roll with it.

So is it true that Brits have awful teeth? :)
  • TheThrashMan
    365 posts
    edited June 2014
    Sweet geezus, calm down. If you are soooo offended practice your right to not play/watch/enjoy. I am from the south and found it mildly humorous. I am more offended that they haven't added 360 rotation yet. Get over it and move on... Or just move along.

[Nothing to see here]
  • 3SS83
    108 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Lol. Its so funny when I get asked that, I flash them my smile and then ask to compare. You would be surprised how many have worse teeth than I do.
  • sojournfan
    584 posts
    edited June 2014
    It's just a joke. I have natural blonde hair and have heard plenty of jokes about blondes over the years. I don't let them bother me, though. The Simpsons and TSTO don't take themselves seriously and I'm sure Krusty's comments aren't meant to be taken like the OP did.
  • Pinpal00
    995 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Very glad to see so many people responding with good humor...but what would you expect from Simpsons fans?

Many people who've never lived in the South probably don't understand that the OP is political trolling. It's not even remotely sincere, and I'm heartened to see that so many people recognize the fake outrage.

Not incidentally, to the OP's point, no one is saying the French are cowards, but I have no problem with Willie calling them surrender monkeys! The comment cuts against the French as much as it does Willie's prejudices. Most people who don't count Archie Bunker as their hero understand how the humor works.

I would now say something about Neuroheart living the high life, but she's responded with such maturity and reasonableness on this point she's left me with nowhere to go. Rats!

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • Tobewood
    112 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    KrisV wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:

Being from Louisiana and now living in the armpit of the country I mean Texas, I dont have an issue with the jokes the Simpsons or other shows like Family Guy makes. What I cant stand is the morons on Duck Dynasty, Swamp People,etc. that gives the South and more important, Louisiana a bad name or makes everyone else thinks thats how the South acts when its not.

I also cant stand a lot of the views others have here in the South, especially the ones living here in Texas cause they are so small minded and dumb as hell who act like they should still be living in the 1800s with their attitudes.

Tell me about it. Try being a guy with long hair who likes Heavy Metal. Traveling through small towns is hell.
  • jukan00
    2320 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Originally from Michigan and man, TSTO has definitely dogged on us a few times. Even though there is a myriad of complex reasons as to why Michigan is where it is because of forces outside of it's control- I'm still gonna laugh at the jokes.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    I would now say something about Neuroheart living the high life, but she's responded with such maturity and reasonableness on this point she's left me with nowhere to go.
    :lol:

Well, I am living at 5000 feet above sea level ;)
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    3SS83 wrote:
    Lol. Its so funny when I get asked that, I flash them my smile and then ask to compare. You would be surprised how many have worse teeth than I do.

I know, I have met several Brits and they do have better teeth than many other people I know. Its great when people can poke fun and roll with things.

I always feel sorry for the Polish though, the **** of many jokes
  • mspralja
    21 posts
    edited June 2014
    amcevil wrote:
    Jeez, it's a joke. Like all groups of people, Southerners have done some things for which they should be lampooned, harangued, and/or reminded of constantly. If you're not ashamed of the past in the Southern U.S., then it's just possible that they could be talking about you.

I agree, I viewed the joke as a jab at the South's past, not current day Southerners.
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Not incidentally, to the OP's point, no one is saying the French are cowards, but I have no problem with Willie calling them surrender monkeys!

I heard the French are grateful for the Iraqi army
  • crosby357
    3051 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm from Alabama and I cracked up at that joke.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.