So all of the South are Bigots?

Replies

• OnePoundBeef
    680 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    adamscottc wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    adamscottc wrote:
    Some of the stuff groundskeeper willie says is a bit shady (I'm Scottish), but I deal - it's funny and furthermore just a caricature.
    I've wondered whether Willie is offensive to Scottish people. He can be rather ridiculous. It's not all bad, though. He may be overly fond of haggis and kilts, but he's strong and no-nonsense. And I think in one of the Halloween episodes he repeatedly tries to save the day. (And in one of them true to kill everyone. Oh well.)

It's funny and ridiculous - it's not at all offensive! Some of the stereotypes are a bit boring or overused though.
    smohqy wrote:
    Us Brits consider the French to be cowards, not sure about the odour issue, we make many a white flag joke. It's all on good fun, just like ea is making jokes about the south.

Says the person with bad teeth who eats boiled pizza.

;)

Do you mean deep fried pizza? I think we Scots are to blame for that...we'll deep fry anything...sorry guys! (It's good though, if you're not too fussed about your arteries). I've never heard of French people being considered cowardly...but I think Scottish people might have slightly different cultural stereotypes for other nationalities, especially our near-neighbours haha

When some French came to our 'high school' I was quietly asked not to make any white flag jokes :P
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited June 2014
    I can ensure everyone that people in the South of England are nothing like this. :wink:

Oh, and good luck USA, USA, USA against Germany later today! :D
  • richardaca969
    1058 posts
    edited June 2014
    Yeah, they are all bigots. And all brits wear suits and top hats. All scotts are angry and wear kilts. All indians live to serve and canadians are all polite to the point of stupidity.

or, yknow, ITS A * JOKE IN A CARTOON.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    If the OP thought making fun of the south in one quick joke was bad, how about hearing a bad rendition of your accent every time you click on a character? There are thousands who have more grounds to be offended than you, for better reasons than making fun of an entire region of the country.
  • dcacooper
    402 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    The OP Just reminded me of Guy from Galaxy Quest ...

Do you guys even watch the show?
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    bradyc79 wrote:
    jukan00 wrote:

There are some beautiful areas in the Appalachians, but there is also moonshine, meth, clans, and welfare abuse. It's just a part of the way of life. I know several people like them, and with my family having lived in WV for 5 generations, there were plenty of my older relatives who lived that way as well. Most of us have grown out of that way of life, and they've legalized moonshine, so things have changed quite a bit. But there's not a lot of humor in that, way more boring, and not nearly as interesting.

There are some truths to all stereotypes, and the Simpsons makes fun of all of them. They are rather sarcastic and sometimes completely obscense, which extends into the game as well. That juxtaposition of reality is what has always made the Simpsons funny and entertaining. I mean, it takes us 24 hours to build most buildings, but 45 seconds to clean up nuclear waste?

My area of Indiana is known as the meth and/or heroin capital of the US by various Govt entities, depending on who you listen to. Every day in my local paper, you get to read about another meth user arrest.

One good thing though, we don't have the troubles Chicago has. Lol

West Virginia is a great place to visit, had a blast last time I was there visiting family, but sure as heck would not want to live there though
  • Bravewall
    4244 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    :lol: My theory as a Canadian, is if an American makes fun of your country, don't make a comeback about America, because they expect that. Make fun of their state instead. It really is a better alternative.

1. It hits closer to home.
    2. You don't have to be so vague
    3. You're not considered being xenophobic.
    4. They most likely don't know anything significant about the state, province or territory you are from.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Funny how a lot of people laugh at / tolerate offensive jokes until they become ?he subject of that joke one day. Then its "over the top" all of a sudden. Its comedy, prepare to be offended.
  • johnny50373
    2768 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm a proud Arizonan, born and raised(crowd gasps). I love where I'm from. I'm also not the one that makes the policies around here. AZ is and has been a joke for quite some time. I don't let it bother me. I know I'm not the joke. If others lump all Arizonans together that shows their ignorance.

My parents were hippies(mom big time). I also carry the hippie gene. I love everyone. This is what I teach my kids(also Arizonans).
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    I'm a proud Arizonan, born and raised(crowd gasps). I love where I'm from. I'm also not the one that makes the policies around here. AZ is and has been a joke for quite some time. I don't let it bother me. I know I'm not the joke. If others lump all Arizonans together that shows their ignorance.

My parents were hippies(mom big time). I also carry the hippie gene. I love everyone. This is what I teach my kids(also Arizonans).

My parents were not hippies, but they tolerated my friends when I was a kid with my friends(many whom they disapproved of big time).

Indiana is easy to make fun of thanks to Richard Murdouch in 2012, and the fact that the entire state legislature is a solid majority Republican so they want to push the homophobic views on the entire state populace, fortunately, some of us fight back on that
  • JimJ321
    4206 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    deathpo wrote:
    I have always known that the Simpsons creators were extremely liberal in their views but this issue is squarely on EA and all those associated with this game for allowing bigoted statements to make it to their game.
    Starting Krusty the Hair Colorist Pt. 1 with the ending line “Huh. I never knew bigotry was this emotionally satisfying. I think I finally get the South.”

So from what I understand everyone that is living in or is from the southern half of the US is automatically a bigot; people like myself, or my wife, or my one year old daughter… according to EA and TSTO we are all bigots. I would argue that EA (TSTO) and those that wrote and Ok’d such a statement are the ignorant bigots, to refer to millions of people as the very same thing.

I get that in the eyes of media that it is ok to bash anyone from Southern America, I just wonder when it will be ok to label all muslims as terrorists?, all Jewish people as cheap?, or all French people as cowards with an odor problem?

I know most people will not care and I do not expect EA to do anything other than at best make a boiler plate statement, and this topic will either be troll/flamed or locked and deleted (or both) but I will not be a part of any media that think ok to call millions of people bigots for simply being, no money, no EA games, no simpsons, none of it. IF EA and Simpsons and those associated with The Simpsons Tapped Out want to call me and my family bigots, then you can do it without my support and patronage.

Hello and welcome to the forum. The Simpsons is a comedy show. Much of comedy is based broad jokes and stereotypes which are clearly not true. Have you ever seen Thomas the Train?!?! Sheesh, it is HIGHY ignorant. And don't get me started on Sesame Street.
    Again, welcome to the forum.
  • gypcandrews
    114 posts
    edited June 2014
    Good morning my fellow gamers....( shake my head ) look, we live in America. That not small fact gives us the right to freedom of speech, control over what we watch, say, do, agree or not agree with. I am vehemently sick to death of the political correctness atmosphere prevelant today. This is an ENTERTAINMENT VEHICLE , if you don't agree , ok that's you're right, choose to play or leave. LEARN TOLERANCE, learn to simply say well let's learn to agree to disagree. The Simpsons entire premise is to insult HUMANITY IN ITS WHOLE ...relax folks have a little fun play a GAME.. Save your earnestness for solving REAL WORLD issues with tolerance of our differences .
  • crazyinsanity82
    116 posts
    edited June 2014
    I thought the whole reason we fans love The Simpsons and TSTO was because of the inappropriate humor... maybe the OP is trolling? Seems like a thread meant to get a reaction out of numerous people. Idk... but take jokes like this out of the show/game and I would be very disappointed. The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park... they are all highly inappropriate, and I love them for it. Also, I currently live in Florida... offended? The answer is an obvious 'No'. Bringing politics to the forum is not the best idea, imo. I guess everyone is different, but since deathpo is so easily offended, it's a good idea for him to move on to another game, or avoid humor, games, and most shows altogether.
  • Annathewicked
    4728 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Willie- IRA comment argument all over again..... It's a joke. It doesn't have to taken as reality, no meant to be that way
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • DanceApocalyptic
    247 posts
    edited June 2014
    I'm offended on the behalf of fat bald drunkards who are lampooned incessantly within the game in the form of the cruel stereotype that is Homer Simpson. Haven't they had to deal with enough (specifically, being bald and fat and drunkards)?
  • lisavolpe4
    24 posts
    edited June 2014
    GET OVER IT! There are worst things in this world to worry about then a stupid game! It is suppose to be funny. I'm Italian and I don't get offended by Fat Tony, Louie & Legs. Like all Italians are criminal mobsters. Who the f**k cares!
  • mike3775198
    266 posts
    edited June 2014
    lisavolpe4 wrote:
    GET OVER IT! There are worst things in this world to worry about then a stupid game! It is suppose to be funny. I'm Italian and I don't get offended by Fat Tony, Louie & Legs. Like all Italians are criminal mobsters. Who the f**k cares!

You mean they're not? (Mind blown). :)
  • drumnman
    1475 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    Dear lord at the raging against the OP! There are some fine rebuttals here, but some of your responses are so nasty. Agree or disagree, but I don't think there's need for such flaming.

And for the record, I do disagree. The Simpsons is satire whose bread and butter is making exaggerated jokes at the expense of stereotypes. There is a long line of ethnicities, religions, and geographical regions who have been recipients of their 25 years of mocking.
  • shaygitz
    1009 posts Member
    edited June 2014
    I'm a proud Arizonan, born and raised(crowd gasps). I love where I'm from.

I'm a transplanted one, and I have a sincere question: what's to love??
  • TAGSfan60982
    586 posts
    edited June 2014
    I have not read all replies but I didn't find it funny.

I remember how the north criticised us southerners during the civil rights movement. Then when we integrated, people looked around and realised that they too were segregated and instituted busing in Boston sending black children to all white South Boston schools. They were outraged and fought as hard as the south did to stop it with the same result. Schools were integrated.

So bigotry is everywhere not just the south.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.