EA Forums - Banner

At first I laughed at "This game is life-ruiningly fun"......

Prev13
Do it. You'll love it! You'll get such a kick out of seeing Otto jamming on the guitar or some classic building in your very own little Springfield. There a lot worse things you could spend your money on.
I'm an addict as well.

Replies

  • chris6271
    4012 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
    In the beginning I was also a Freemium player. Since december 2012 I bought me donuts for premium items.
    And now I buy every new premium content.
    I love the game. And I'm addicted too.
    There so much very nice premium contents. If you have the money, buy some donuts.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited July 2014
    1st of all QUhYW5n.gif to the forum :thumbup:

    I started playing the game Feb 29th 2012 date of released, i was watching the app store waiting for the game to land and since it did i have never looked back :D

    In regards to becoming a prem player i lasted less than a week before purchasing Donuts, this game has now become the most i have ever spent on a phone game! I'm not going to say how much cos it very worrying but trust me it is A LOT! :shock: I have ever item since the game was released :) I know have to have every item as i cant be without something so in regards to being addicted i would have to say....Yes i am :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    welcome.gif to the life of a forum contributor ;)

    If you're gonna buy donuts, and you want to get the most bang for your buck, look for iTunes or Google Play cards on special, a lot of the time you can find them for 20% or more at various places. Also, sometimes the game has sales on donuts, in which we've had either 25% off the price of donuts, or 25% more donuts in each of the donut packs. So, if you're savvy, and buy at the right time, you can get about 50% off, for better value.



    Some people on here think there may be a Gil donut sale towards the end of this Yard Sale, to get more suckers to drop dough on the Yard Sale items, maybe next Thursday, even, so if you spot the opportunity, go for it. :)
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited July 2014
    mwdalton wrote:
    Some people on here think there may be a Gil donut sale towards the end of this Yard Sale, to get more suckers to drop dough on the Yard Sale items, maybe next Thursday, even, so if you spot the opportunity, go for it. :)

    This is what i'm holding out for :) I know if i buy donuts now Gil will most certainly appear and yet again miss out on one of his deals :evil:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • kenalbon89
    365 posts
    edited July 2014
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Some people on here think there may be a Gil donut sale towards the end of this Yard Sale, to get more suckers to drop dough on the Yard Sale items, maybe next Thursday, even, so if you spot the opportunity, go for it. :)

    This is what i'm holding out for :) I know if i buy donuts now Gil will most certainly appear and yet again miss out on one of his deals :evil:

    I am very eager to see one of the Gil deals! iTunes gift cards are never available on special in South Africa, so for me the only hope of saving is to become Freemium or wait on a Gil deal... and I'm a couple boatloads in so, the former is no longer an option :P
  • realmrsupra
    93 posts
    edited July 2014
    :mrgreen: many thanks for the awesome welcome. :mrgreen:
    It would be nice to get an actual sale. The only "sale" I experienced was the yard sale. Like many people here mentioned, the title "yard sale" implies perhaps a mix of new and previously enjoyed items which often also allows for bargaining for a better price. I saw no bargaining!!! Having said that that Mayan package looks amazing...
    Maybe Apu should have a donut sale. Buy at your own risk 'cause the date of expiry may have passed and some donuts go bad if not used within a limited time... :twisted: THANK YOU, COME AGAIN!
  • kenalbon89
    365 posts
    edited July 2014
    If Apu sells them they are definitely stale!
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited July 2014
    kenalbon89 wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Some people on here think there may be a Gil donut sale towards the end of this Yard Sale, to get more suckers to drop dough on the Yard Sale items, maybe next Thursday, even, so if you spot the opportunity, go for it. :)

    This is what i'm holding out for :) I know if i buy donuts now Gil will most certainly appear and yet again miss out on one of his deals :evil:

    I am very eager to see one of the Gil deals! iTunes gift cards are never available on special in South Africa, so for me the only hope of saving is to become Freemium or wait on a Gil deal... and I'm a couple boatloads in so, the former is no longer an option :P

    Once you bought donuts and got the taste for premium items there's no going back :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • joniferous
    508 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome to the forum!
    And welcome to the premium game should you decide to boatload it!
    I also laughed at life ruiningly fun but now I realise it's true! I've spent more than I probably should have, and have alarms set for neighbour visits which I get upset about if I miss, and I check the forum several times a day for news. Addict? Definitely. And I love it.
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    kenalbon89 wrote:
    If Apu sells them they are definitely stale!

    Then he just calls them 'bagels' :mrgreen:
  • realmrsupra
    93 posts
    edited July 2014
    yaaay! It's not just me that has alarms set! Cheers!!

    :P
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited July 2014
    yaaay! It's not just me that has alarms set! Cheers!!

    :P

    You Certainly not alone there! :mrgreen:

    When there a big update i always have alarms set specially when at work cos i know i will forget check in :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • Jax001100
    1004 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome realmrsupra! You've come to the right place to find tsto addicts, that's for sure. I turned into a premium player after refusing to spend money for about 6 months, and now I kick myself thinking about the limited time things I missed out on or had to buy at a much higher price. Never regretted spending the money though. This game has given me a lot of fun (so has the forum for that matter) and I love it!
  • kenalbon89
    365 posts
    edited July 2014
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    kenalbon89 wrote:
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    mwdalton wrote:
    Some people on here think there may be a Gil donut sale towards the end of this Yard Sale, to get more suckers to drop dough on the Yard Sale items, maybe next Thursday, even, so if you spot the opportunity, go for it. :)

    This is what i'm holding out for :) I know if i buy donuts now Gil will most certainly appear and yet again miss out on one of his deals :evil:

    I am very eager to see one of the Gil deals! iTunes gift cards are never available on special in South Africa, so for me the only hope of saving is to become Freemium or wait on a Gil deal... and I'm a couple boatloads in so, the former is no longer an option :P

    Once you bought donuts and got the taste for premium items there's no going back :lol:

    In reality I have never been that fond of donuts... They are delicious but I can honestly take them or leave them. Now, though, I find myself mesmerized by that pink icing-covered ring with a bite out of it, every time there is a loading screen. As Homer would say, Praise Jebus! :mrgreen:
    mwdalton wrote:
    kenalbon89 wrote:
    If Apu sells them they are definitely stale!

    Then he just calls them 'bagels' :mrgreen:

    True! Because if you sell stale donuts as stale donuts you're opening yourself up to all sorts of health violations. Should a customer complain they'll be compensated with a signed copy of Life of 'Pu, people who have never seen a movie say it is a good movie ;)
  • tommy1724
    1972 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome, neighbour - perhaps literally, since I'm also from TO, the town for whom Diamond Joe would be a huge step up...

    Now, your question. At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate...

    I've been playing since just after the game was re-released in fall 2012 and have yet to buy a single donut. In my defence, we are grinding hard to pay off our real life mortgage and put away money for our two kids to be able to afford a month or two of university, should they be so inclined. My discretionary fun spending usually vanishes at the the local comic shop.

    All those fancy premium things? You can get them, if you're patient. Every time you max out the experience metre between updates, you can guarantee three donuts if you have at least 100 000 grand on hand. Sideshow You in KL pays out donuts once in a long while - I got 5 yesterday, in fact. You get level up donuts, and mystery boxes will spit some out too. Friend visits apparently give them, though I've not had any luck there. Special events often conclude with a few, as do horrendous EA mistakes. Plus, mystery boxes sometimes generate free premium items and characters.

    Long story short, if you're patient, you can earn donuts and get premium stuff. You won't have everything, but it does get you to make some very considered decisions - I doubt I will ever go near Lugash, for example, but can hardly wait to scrounge 15 more donuts so I can get me some Jasper. So far, I have gotten the following free: Barney and the Bowlerama, Squeaky Voiced Teen, Frink and his lab and a bunch of decorations. Buying one of these things with free donuts is a very rewarding experience - you really feel like you've worked hard for it.

    I have been tempted to buy. Part of me feels guilty for not contributing, but that's a topic for a different thread. I worry greatly that, as a number of your other respondents have noted, I'll have a great deal of difficulty stopping myself once I start buying. It seems a VERY slippery slope.

    So there's my devil's advocacy for staying on the dark side. Happy deliberations, and happy tapping!
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome! :-D
  • smohqy
    2103 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Hello! And welcome to the... ah heck, I'll save that for JimJ321 (whose name is still on my landing strip for a couple more days).

    I'm going to offer you some advice. I'm also going to put it in double parenthesis so only you can read it:

    ((Get out while you can!))





    I fear I'm too late. Welcome to the Dark Side, then.
  • brickevand408
    1822 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Welcome to the dark side, hold your breath and JUMP, you will love it. Once you are here there is no turning back, you just wanna havw more and more :mrgreen:
  • tommy1724
    1972 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    smohqy wrote:
    Hello! And welcome to the... ah heck, I'll save that for JimJ321 (whose name is still on my landing strip for a couple more days).

    I'm going to offer you some advice. I'm also going to put it in double parenthesis so only you can read it:

    ((Get out while you can!))





    I fear I'm too late. Welcome to the Dark Side, then.

    I kind of feel like the dark side is freeloading freemium mooches like myself. People who buy donuts keep this game running. They have powers I could never imagine...
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    mwdalton wrote:
    kenalbon89 wrote:
    If Apu sells them they are definitely stale!

    Then he just calls them 'bagels' :mrgreen:
    Darn it, you beat me to it. It's just that those particular "bagels" have coconut on 'em. Anyways, as many others have said, welcome to the forum! :D Congratulations on making so much progress in such short time. I myself started playing mid-October 2013. I was a lurker on the forum from almost day one, and joined out of necessity to find friends. Now I am a contributor who posts (usually longwinded and hopefully humorous) contributions. As for your dilemma, I will caution you it can be a slippery slope. I tend to be a bit of a completionist, which is ironic in a game that can't be "completed", at least in the traditional sense of the word. I personally can't remember what my first donut purchase was, but knowing me, I probably didn't even bother to test the water, but instead jumped in, head first, fully dressed, cellphone in hand. Now that I've been in the water for a while (and have to buy a new phone) I've noticed the water is crystal clear and perfectly chlorinated at the top, but if I swim into the deep end, it gets murky. Oh, so, so murky. The yard sale is a perfect example. EA trots out stuff that I either never had access to (as an Android tapper who only started late last year) or that I was too busy playing catch-up during Halloween to get. Hence, donuts. Hence, another boatload I need to purchase. I haven't spent as much as some tappers (I'm looking at you, NeoSEC :wink: ) but I also know I've spent more on this game than I care to contemplate. As some of the other contributors have pointed out, if you can catch a good Gil deal and have some "disposable" income you don't mind spending on an amusing mobile game, by all means have at it! I will caution you if you're anything like me, like a certain alleged potato crisp warns, once you pop, you can't stop. Or maybe it was you can't eat (well, not eat, but I know what I mean, darn it) just one. To make a long story short (too late!) if you have a couple of bucks to throw at the game every now and then, you can score some really awesome stuff. This is by no means necessary, as there are plenty of proud freemium players who never spend any money on the game at all (and good on them, says I). On the other hand, if you are like me and have a problem knowing when to say when (me: I'm perfectly fine. I just need one more boatload. Cut off? Whaddaya mean I'm cut off?) be wary, traveler, because one boat leads to two boats, and before you know it, ten or twelve boats, and you're trying to collect everything they've ever put out for the game. Sorry for the wall of text (I did warn you I'm long-winded) and good luck and happy tapping whichever path you choose. :thumbup:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!