EA Forums - Banner

Anyone watching channel 4?

L_B_123XD
1709 posts Member
Why is hunting disgusting? When done legally it helps keep wildlife populations in check so that they can thrive. Do you eat any meat products that you can get from the grocery store? Unless you're a 100% vegan I think that you should have a reality check as to where that meat at the super markets comes from.

I'm not sure what news story you are referencing if you could post a link that would be great.

Replies

• urlaub694
    3608 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    In Finland hunting is sort of a tradition (in Lapland at least.) Even for children.
  • SirLance_Elot
    2148 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't see any issues with parents giving their children a firearm as a gift, 4 may be a little young due to the fact that a 4 year old doesn't have the mental capacity to distinguish right from wrong and fully understand the consequences of misusing a firearm. That being said it's up to the parents, I got my first hunting rifle when I was 6.
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    I agree these four year olds with a gun are shocking! What does a 4 year old need to learn to shoot for? And making them with kiddy patterns on.... yeah because then they won't associate them with toys! :shock:
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Why is hunting disgusting? When done legally it helps keep wildlife populations in check so that they can thrive. Do you eat any meat products that you can get from the grocery store? Unless you're a 100% vegan I think that you should have a reality check as to where that meat at the super markets comes from.

I'm not sure what news story you are referencing if you could post a link that would be great.
    I just disagree with the whole killing an animal for sport, I dot thinks its right to kill just for fun, and to show us in a picture.
    For protection and food is fine I guess, although I'd prefer more humane things as shooting first always kill instantly.
    There are people that go to Africa just to hunt 'the big five' and show off, even though these animals are going extinct which is why I have a problem with it.

It's not a news story, it's a documentary on channel 4 in the uk showing the world about child hunters, some of it is good because parents are smart about kids by keeping ammo away from them. Then you get examples of people letting kids go off hunting by themselves at like 7 years old
  • mikeydluffy
    2014 posts
    edited July 2014
    It's interesting if anything. As my dad always said "you're old enough for a minigun when you can carry one"
  • urlaub694
    3608 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    L_B_123XD wrote:

I just disagree with the whole killing an animal for sport, I dot thinks its right to kill just for fun, and to show us in a picture.
    For protection and food is fine I guess, although I'd prefer more humane things as shooting first always kill instantly.
    There are people that go to Africa just to hunt 'the big five' and show off, even though these animals are going extinct which is why I have a problem with it.

It's not a news story, it's a documentary on channel 4 in the uk showing the world about child hunters, some of it is good because parents are smart about kids by keeping ammo away from them. Then you get examples of people letting kids go off hunting by themselves at like 7 years old

How can you know it's for fun? All the meat I've ever hunted, I've eaten.
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:

I'm fine with yours then, although I do feel its unnecessary to hint a random animal like a squirrel even if its eaten, it angers me when people don't eat them though. Eg/ there was a story a while ago in the uk of a girl who shot rhinos in Africa, about 7 of them, she don't eat all of them clearly
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    I went hunting by myself when I was 7 and I turned out fine. Never shot anyone or anything like that. Oh, and don't get me started on vegetarians :twisted:
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    It's interesting if anything. As my dad always said "you're old enough for a minigun when you can carry one"
    That's not really true though, a 2 year old can carry a knife, that doesn't mean I'd want one carrying one around as they have n idea what it's capable of, guns are the same
  • urlaub694
    3608 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:

I'm fine with yours then, although I do feel its unnecessary to hint a random animal like a squirrel even if its eaten, it angers me when people don't eat them though. Eg/ there was a story a while ago in the uk of a girl who shot rhinos in Africa, about 7 of them, she don't eat all of them clearly

I have never shot a squirrel. Capercaillies and deers are my target. Also why would I shoot endangered animals, when it's clearly illegal?

• L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:

I have never shot a squirrel. Capercaillies and deers are my target. Also why would I shoot endangered animals, when it's clearly illegal?
    Well then you have morals, in the show the kid was made to shoot a squirrel fr it's first hunt. And I don't think in Africa it is illegal to hunt them- so even though the animals are endangered people continue for the fun of being a hunter
  • SirLance_Elot
    2148 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:

I go for Elk and Turkey.

I'm not familiar with the hunting regulations over the pond but in the good ol US of A, when you go on a hunt you pay for a fee for the permit of the game you're hunting and are required to use the meat or donate it from the kill. If you don't its considered poaching. I agree with L_B_123XD when it comes to the African hunts, it is distasteful that people hunt endangered species. Though they are usually doing it legally, they pay big money to get a permit to hunt them. Is it wrong ethically yes I believe so is it illegal, sadly no.
  • patzmcm
    703 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    I don't think a 4-year old is responsible enough to have a gun. If that is a "reality show" it is for entertainment, not really reality.

That said, when you shoot something, carry it home, clean it, and cook it, the responsibility of eating meat really hits home. I don't know any hunters (and there surely are some, I don't know them) who kill for "fun". Hunting usually isn't easy, either. I grew up in a rural area and the schools closed for the opening of deer season. That was normal. Now I live in suburbia and people like to buy their meat in plastic, with no skin or bones, not even representing what it is.

Hunting for sport - don't understand it.
  • urlaub694
    3608 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    urlaub694 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:

I go for Elk and Turkey.

I'm not familiar with the hunting regulations over the pond but in the good ol US of A, when you go on a hunt you pay for a fee for the permit of the game you're hunting and are required to use the meat or donate it from the kill. If you don't its considered poaching. I agree with L_B_123XD when it comes to the African hunts, it is distasteful that people hunt endangered species. Though they are usually doing it legally, they pay big money to get a permit to hunt them. Is it wrong ethically yes I believe so is it illegal, sadly no.

Here we have seasons where we can hunt and when we can't. Seasons when we can't hunt certain animals (usually their mating time) and seasons when we can. I never waist good meat ^^ Always taistes better when you have hunted it your self.
  • JimJ321
    4208 posts Member
    edited July 2014
    Wolfcastle hunted the most deadly prey of all ...man.
  • Indigofabian
    155 posts
    edited July 2014
    Woo, let's raise kids to carry guns and then wonder why the rate of gun-related killing is so high so high
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!