EA Forums - Banner

Guilty pleasure music

Prev134567
Common People by William Shatner...I get a lot of grief over this from friends but I like it

Replies

• mtorange
    111 posts
    edited August 2014
    Sabrina Carpenter's and Zendaya's music.
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Common People by William Shatner...I get a lot of grief over this from friends but I like it
    Never sought out any of his work, despite what I've heard about it. Thank you for playing along. Desperately hoping YT can come to my rescue. BRB.
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know if Gaga is a guilty pleasure or not, but I'm all over that :D
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Never sought out any of his work, despite what I've heard about it. Thank you for playing along. Desperately hoping YT can come to my rescue. BRB.

I usually listen to rock or metal, but really when I'm at the gym I prefer pop music...

Okay I have to catch up with BB now since I was away all weekend! :)
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I really like this forum right now. To yukongirl I quite enjoyed that! I'm going to have to check out some of his other stuff! To mtorange The first Sabrina Carpenter song I found was called "Can't Blame A Girl For Trying". I absolutely LOVED it! How have I not found this girl before?!? The first Zendaya song I found was called "Replay". Liked this one, also, just not as much as the Sabrina song. To Jblue I definitely consider Gaga a guilty pleasure. When I first found "Poker Face", I stuck it on repeat for about a week. Needless to say everyone I knew at the time made an effort to avoid me for a while. If she had HAD any fans among those people, which she didn't really seem to, the repetition of that one track killed it for them. Thank you all so much!
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I always think Journey, but really I've never heard a bad word about Journey before.
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Oh, I really like this forum right now. To yukongirl I quite enjoyed that! I'm going to have to check out some of his other stuff! To mtorange The first Sabrina Carpenter song I found was called "Can't Blame A Girl For Trying". I absolutely LOVED it! How have I not found this girl before?!? The first Zendaya song I found was called "Replay". Liked this one, also, just not as much as the Sabrina song. To Jblue I definitely consider Gaga a guilty pleasure. When I first found "Poker Face", I stuck it on repeat for about a week. Needless to say everyone I knew at the time made an effort to avoid me for a while. If she had HAD any fans among those people, which she didn't really seem to, the repetition of that one track killed it for them. Thank you all so much!

Try to find the version he has with Ben Folds...
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    I always think Journey, but really I've never heard a bad word about Journey before.

I liked them best with Steve Perry...Don't Stop Believing, Open Arms, Faithfully all classics, just to name a few
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    I like Journey, and have since I was young. Some people seem to consider them wuss-rock. Not me. They've had some pretty solid music over the years. They're not bad except for being endorsed by "Aileen Wuornos" in the movie Monster. Oh, and how the band as a whole treats singers. Ouch.
  • jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Oh what a fun thread! :) My Gaga guilty pleasure is definitely Speechless. If I need a cheesy pick-me-up it's Believe it or Not by Joey Scarbury or Am I Loud Enough? By Bis. I will also confess to, in my darkest hours, spending a shameful amount of time rocking out to Wrecking Ball.
  • lyle_catcliffe
    1266 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Bravewall wrote:

Journey are not a good band.
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    I like Journey, and have since I was young. Some people seem to consider them wuss-rock.
    And some people are pretentious and insecure. I tend to cut off such people from life. Its probably why everyone that matters seems to like Journey. :D
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    jae_bazz wrote:
    Oh what a fun thread! :) My Gaga guilty pleasure is definitely Speechless. If I need a cheesy pick-me-up it's Believe it or Not by Joey Scarbury or Am I Loud Enough? By Bis. I will also confess to, in my darkest hours, spending a shameful amount of time rocking out to Wrecking Ball.
    For as much hate as she gets from a lot of people, the live version of Speechless for the VEVO launch event is pretty awesome. It certainly showcases her talent, and the odd little touches are particularly choice. The glass of whiskey(?)that she eventually toasts with and tosses back next to a pair of sunglasses on the digital piano (a Roland). Throwing her leg up on the keyboard. Good stuff! I'm old enough to remember watching "The Greatest American Hero", and you better believe Believe It Or Not is in my library. :wink: I had never heard of Am I Loud Enough, but YT came through again. Very odd, but interesting. I think many people (whether they associate it as guilty pleasure music or not) have sung "I came in like a wreeecking ball" once or twice, even if they won't admit to it. Thank you for some good contenders!
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Bravewall wrote:
    Bravewall wrote:
    I like Journey, and have since I was young. Some people seem to consider them wuss-rock.
    And some people are pretentious and insecure. I tend to cut off such people from life. Its probably why everyone that matters seems to like Journey. :D
    362.jpg
  • lyle_catcliffe
    1266 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    It's always churlish when people have a dig at pop music on the whole. There's good pop and bad pop, but there is SO MUCH GOOD POP out there. Almost exclusively vocalised by females. Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Robyn, Gwen Stefani, etc. Then there's bucketloads of one hit wonders and one-off brilliances like Carly Rae Jepsen, Yes - Wrecking Ball, also American Boy by Estelle. The real enemy is mediocre dinosaur rock, predominantly from the 1970s. Not too fond of the term "guilty pleasures".

Be proud of what you're passionate about. Unless it's the entirety of Bat Out Of Hell. Keep that one to yourself.
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    It's always churlish when people have a dig at pop music on the whole. There's good pop and bad pop, but there is SO MUCH GOOD POP out there. Almost exclusively vocalised by females. Taylor Swift, Rihanna, Robyn, Gwen Stefani, etc. Then there's bucketloads of one hit wonders and one-off brilliances like Carly Rae Jepsen, Yes - Wrecking Ball, also American Boy by Estelle. The real enemy is mediocre dinosaur rock, predominantly from the 1970s. Not too fond of the term "guilty pleasures".

Be proud of what you're passionate about. Unless it's the entirety of Bat Out Of Hell. Keep that one to yourself.
    Truer words have seldom been spoken, and good on you for listing Robyn! :thumbup: But how about if I just like one track off of Bat Out Of Hell? I mean, I'll admit Mr. Aday hasn't done a lot of stuff I like but what I do like of his is because of one song. :lol:
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Not exactly a guilty pleasure, because I'm not ashamed of it; but no one likes this artist except me. Not my friends (although they listen to be polite), not my family, no one except others I've bumped into on the Internet.

Yoko Ono.

And not just her dance club remixes that have been popular the last few years. I like ALL her stuff, including the vocal gymnastics with John Lennon jamming on the guitar. Every bizarre, weird note.

In a more guilty pleasure vein, I really love Gangnum Style, which if you check the translation is actually kind of a protest song.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Not exactly a guilty pleasure, because I'm not ashamed of it; but no one likes this artist except me. Not my friends (although they listen to be polite), not my family, no one except others I've bumped into on the Internet.

Yoko Ono.

And not just her dance club remixes that have been popular the last few years. I like ALL her stuff, including the vocal gymnastics with John Lennon jamming on the guitar. Every bizarre, weird note.

In a more guilty pleasure vein, I really love Gangnum Style, which if you check the translation is actually kind of a protest song.
    Impressive choice. I've actually never gotten into her. At all. Maybe I'll start with the remixes, as they might serve as a good primer. As for Gangnam Style, Psy supposedly wrote it to about the affluent Gangnam district of Seoul, and the accompanying lifestyle where a lot of people try to appear more wealthy than they actually are. The first scene in the video, where it looks like he's chilling at a resort, and then the camera pans out to reveal he's actually chilling in a playground, is classic. The entire quirky video helped to introduce K-pop to an audience that wouldn't have otherwise been exposed to it. Excellent choice. Thanks for contributing!
  • urlaub694
    3608 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    .. MAGIC! Rude. They're going to be a one hit band and I have a love hate relationship with them.

CONS:
    - Magic's lead singer looks like a brother of Lois Griffin. Sandwich nose.
    - The song sounds like it was recorded while they were all high
    - The music video makes it seem like he is a crazy stalker, who is going to marry the girl - no matter what you say
    - Its reggae and I hate reggae.
    - The song is total trash

PROS:
    - The song is catchy
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    ^ and they are Canadian :)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!