EA Forums - Banner

How long do you give your friends before declaring them "inactive"?

Prev1
MonicaL9 wrote:
So now that the new update is here (finally!), I am in need of clearing out some friends in order to make room for those who will participate in the new event. Now I used to be pretty strict and would unfriendly someone pretty quickly if they weren't clearing out their buildings, but after I was unable to play last week for 2-3 days and had some of my friends drop me (I was pretty bummed too, considering those few days were the only ones I missed in the last year for gosh sakes) I now want to give people some time in case they were just unable to play for a bit. So when do you throw in the towel on a friend and clear them out? 1 day? 1 week? 2weeks? I just want to be fair to them :)

Thanks! :lol:

Start chopping the dead weight now! Happy tapping!

Replies

• amazonprimechic
    1261 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    It depends for me based on what is going on and if I've notice inactive in the past. Also how long we've been neighbors.

Any where between 3 days and 5 weeks.
  • jboudreaud282
    75 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I give neighbours at least a week before I delete them, more if I know them in real life or if they've been good neighbours in the past. I also tend to give a little more time to someone that's a higher level, because I feel there's a better chance of them coming back to the game since they've obviously put a lot of time into it. But if they're at level 13 and haven't played for a week or more, then I figure they're not coming back, so I remove them.
  • jbacarre
    6 posts
    edited August 2014
    A general rule of thumb I came across a few time and which I practice my self is 2 weeks but no more than 3. Vacations and breaks average out to 1-2 weeks so this should give players who are avid on TSTO plenty of time to return and root out those who aren't.
  • GinaandBarry
    143 posts
    edited August 2014
    I initially gave them 2 to 3 weeks. My husband and I share a few common friends. I had deleted someone we both had in common after 3 weeks, then quickly came to regret it, as they started tapping again in my husband's town. After that regret, I give friends closer to a month, because you never know what is going on with someone else. ;)
  • Malkaviana
    43 posts
    edited August 2014
    I just erased lots of people, one even had eight weeks inactive! :shock:
  • MusicBooks960
    903 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    MonicaL9 wrote:
    So now that the new update is here (finally!), I am in need of clearing out some friends in order to make room for those who will participate in the new event. Now I used to be pretty strict and would unfriendly someone pretty quickly if they weren't clearing out their buildings, but after I was unable to play last week for 2-3 days and had some of my friends drop me (I was pretty bummed too, considering those few days were the only ones I missed in the last year for gosh sakes) I now want to give people some time in case they were just unable to play for a bit. So when do you throw in the towel on a friend and clear them out? 1 day? 1 week? 2weeks? I just want to be fair to them :)

Thanks! :lol:
    Depending on the circumstances, I usually allow a week. The longest I've gone was over two months, and not too long ago a forum neighbor went missing. For over 5 weeks. I was still waffling over whether or not to send him a PM, because prior to that he'd been a model neighbor, and I was starting to get severely worried. I didn't want to bother him in case he was on vacation or something. I didn't delete him, and just a few days ago he popped up on the forum and explained he'd been locked out of his game. Relief ensued. It really just depends. Usually a week is sufficient in my opinion. I also try to keep a few extra potential neighbors in the queue, just in case I have to drop someone (or someone drops me!) at short notice. Also, if you ever run short of friends, if you haven't already, you can always hit up the Finding Friends board, or if you can't respond there, the sticky thread at the top of the Game Discussion board. Hope that helps. :wink:
  • emmalk2002
    13 posts
    edited August 2014
    I went on holiday for 10 days, hoping to still be able to go on my town and I couldn't, came home and checked my town and I have been de friended by 20 people :(, I'd give them at least 2 week to cover a holiday
  • Hendrix8341
    191 posts
    edited August 2014
    2 weeks
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I usually give about a week. Typically, after 2-3 days I put them on Hide until I remember to look again. If I check again on Hide and they still haven't come back, they're gone.

However, it kinda depends... if they're always on and off so there are more frequent periods when there's nothing to tap, I'm less lenient. If I really like their town, I'm more lenient. Also, if they've left a message on their town, or on the forum and I happen to see it, I give them more time too.
  • MonicaL9
    230 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Good to know! I guess I just have been debating on if I should get rid of "some of the dead weight" (lol) sooner then I normally would because it kinda stinks when about half of your friends now only play once a week or less and you can't tap on any buildings for a while. Especially when event time comes along.
  • Mumble_Taker
    180 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I'm giving neighbors more leeway since 1, people go away during the summer and 2, I haven't exactly been a great neighbor myself since summer started.

After Labor day weekend, anyone not in the event is gone. And anyone who has nothing to attack for 24 hours is gone.
  • cripplers2
    95 posts
    edited August 2014
    I usually give people at least a few weeks and I only delete people during events.
  • mikepellerin60
    489 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    It depends:

1) If the person sought me out to add, I give them about 2 weeks. Less if I've never seen a "Handshake" from them.
    2) If the person advertised as being a "Daily Player", and there is nothing to tap for up to a week. I delete them.
    3) If the person is long time. ie: a person who friended me when we both started, i'm not dl'ing anytime soon!
    4) If the person is a Forum Member (I currently have one! yay! lol), they ain't goin' nowhere either!
    5) If you've "Reddited" your town to the point where I crash..."You're done!"
    6) If you've "House-Farmed" your town to where I crash, see above!
    Moe: "Moe's tavern, home of the worlds smallest large screen TV."
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    It kind of depends. If there's an event going, about two weeks. In stretches of downtime (such as we had until Clash of Clones hit) I'll give it a month or even longer.
  • AJtheboss1
    3868 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    If it's a random neighbor, I give it a week or two, or until I get annoyed that I can't tap on anything while I visit them. If it's a forum member I give them about a month or so, unless theirs an event, in which case about a week or so.
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • pattimesseng
    132 posts
    edited August 2014
    I generally give a week. I really wish that EA gave us an in-game way to communicate with each other! If someone could just post a message that they are going on vacation from this date to that date, it would save a lot of grief!
  • SnarkTheCat
    138 posts
    edited August 2014
    Lots of factors in play.

If there is no event going on, I don't even check unless I have run out of things to tap on in their town. If that happens, it has usually been at least a week since they have logged in so I give them 1 more week before deletion.

During an event, I wait through the first weekend after the event has started. Work can take folks away and they may not be able to play until the weekend. After the first weekend is over, they are fair game for deletion if they are not participating in the event (I deleted 3 neighbors who were active but not playing Stonecutters)

Real life friends are exempt unless they tell me that they have quit the game.

I have no forum friends, but they would also fall under the Real Life Friends exemption too. :-)
  • realmrsupra
    93 posts
    edited August 2014
    Lots of factors in play.

If there is no event going on, I don't even check unless I have run out of things to tap on in their town. If that happens, it has usually been at least a week since they have logged in so I give them 1 more week before deletion.

During an event, I wait through the first weekend after the event has started. Work can take folks away and they may not be able to play until the weekend. After the first weekend is over, they are fair game for deletion if they are not participating in the event (I deleted 3 neighbors who were active but not playing Stonecutters)

Real life friends are exempt unless they tell me that they have quit the game.

I have no forum friends, but they would also fall under the Real Life Friends exemption too. :-)

Hey neighboreeno! Looking forward to seeing your castles grow!

I'm also similar to SnarkTheCat in my defriending time frames. A factor is definitely the level they're on too, if someone's at level 30 and up usually there is always "tAppability" :)

• ShadyLady876
    510 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I used to be quite impatient and delete after a few days, but more relaxed about it now and usually after 2 weeks I will do it.
    I might delete sooner if there is an event/level update and the inactive players still haven't returned.
  • charlychalk
    18 posts
    edited August 2014
    If it is someone who is regularly taking breaks from the game (say, 2 breaks in a one month period) then I delete them straight away.
    Daily Player: I give then up to three weeks before I delete them.
    New Neighbour: If they haven't visited my town within a week, then they get deleted too.
    Real Life/Forum Friends: I don't delete them unless they tell me they don't play anymore.

As you can tell I'm regularly organising my friends list. As someone who is housebound I am on tapped out all the time, so I need my friends to be active! :D

Edit: because my kindle like to add unnecessary words.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!