EA Forums - Banner

Playwise, what do you think was really intended for ****?

Prev13
I was thinking about this this morning as I was driving to work (sad, I know...).

While it is clear that many on here have finished, or are cloe to finishing, I have yet to win the balloon. I am one of those who have trouble getting to the game more than once or twice a day, and I have feeder towns I try to keep up to date as well (which have yet to have wizard marge usable).

That being said, I have to wonder how the BIG picture looks from EA's perspective. Are the majority of players throughout the world almost done, or is there a majority closer to where I am? Clearly on the forums, I am lagging far behind, but as we all know, the forum is a very small sampling of the total players out there (and probably not the best at being a random sampling). Do the players "out there" know the best tactics, or are they just winging it?

This is one thing that is interesting about this forum. While it is very informative about the game, and provides a lot of contact with others afflicted with this addiction, it can also warp our perception of how things are going in general.

But back to the topic at hand, what I am trying to say is that while we have our own little community here with it's conclusions, discussions and rants, it does not necessarily mean that we are a fair representation of the masses, and therefore, makes it tough to understand exactly WHAT EA is thinking. I DO believe that they thought they had themselves a winning event here, and may now be trying to do what they can to make it so...whether that means tweaking the payouts or changing the rules, or whatever.

Replies

• barryriddl474
    4819 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Regarding EA's intention for this update, I find it difficult to believe that this is strictly a cash cow event for them. It has to be more. EA could have released another whale, or zoo or something that was in the 250-300 donut range, and as an investment, would have made much more. This event had to cost a fortune (and I know they make a fortune from players) and to me, doesn't seem to have expensive premium items to make this as profitable as a single expensive property/item/character. Also, it's rare to poke fun or parody your competition in games (I remember the Driver series would poke fun at the GTA series, in game), so that's another odd move.
    My wife believes that EA's intention is to pacify us between holiday events, since everyone has become bored, and to keep us tapping.
    Personally, I am near the 3 tower prize, and am eager to get the catapult. I am not as thrilled about the final prize, as I really don't have a need for a Homer gladiator statue.
  • ZennGlenn
    1725 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Interesting thoughts... not too sure about how big some of the glitches may be or whatever other technical issues may actually be going on, which indeed remains their other continuous battle, but as I mentioned in the other current poll thread on E.A. biz choices, I think in the bigger picture they're doing well w/what they can to expand creative infinite possibilities and be able to continually draw from original Simpsons content for years to come 8)
  • amazonprimechic
    1261 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I want to think that EA always has at least a little focus on strengthening neighbor interaction during events. So maybe the defense payout reduction was in response to the higher then expected average gold levels during the first week. Not sure if they had realized the cause (glitch) yet and considering the length wanted to slow earnings down. The glitch and their reaction ruined the neighbor interaction component but I think it was originally intended to be there,

I think another intention was to make this event a super grind. Something just to spark interest and give players something to do until the end. The overall content is pretty light and no real thought put into what happens after the prizes are won. They expected it to be much harder and when it wasn't tried to ad hoc a solution on the fly.

This event was definitely not setup to sell donuts.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    @amazonprimechic: I hadn't thought about the idea that the payout calculation might be server-side and hence not need an update to change. It might be as you say that it was an attempt at a quick fix. I'm definitely not spending any donuts on this.

@ZennGlenn: Agreed. My wife thinks that this event was just another attempt to keep things from being stale, and since you cannot please everyone all the time, mix up the event ideas.

@barryriddl474: The catapult is funny. The final few prizes, meh. .25% bonus for the flags each, and a statue.

@starman_thc: I also spend time thinking about the game even when not playing. Probably in my sleep too. :-)
    Hardcore gamers are familiar with the strategies and tactics of such games. Casual tappers don't want to be bothered. Winging it will still get them these prizes the way things are. Nice for a change. But we already have people asking for an extension. :roll: I doubt the forum members are representative of the large group of players.

All: Thanks for the thoughts and discussion.

[Edit: Typo]
  • AJtheboss1
    3869 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I don't know how people are finished already. I've used that bug to help me advance and I'm nowhere near finished. In fact if it wasn't for that bug I'd be way behind, and I play every day. The payouts in this event are very odd, and honestly without this bug most people wouldn't be able to win this event especially since they reduced payouts of defending towns.

This entire event seems kinda odd too. The idea was grand, but the prizes and machanics of it feel rushed and clumsy. Also is it me or are the prizes for events getting stupider and stupider. I mean I'm greatful for them. I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining about them. I'm just saying in general the prizes have gone down hill since the beginning of the year.

PS: My assumption about people not being able to finish this event comes from the chart I've seen that tells you how much you need everyday in order to get all the prizes. Based on that chart I'm only a couple days ahead of the minimum I need for today. Mind you that's me using the bug. Without it I'd be behind, and I see that based on my neighbors who don't use the forum. Since they don't know about the bug they are a few thousand gold coins behind the minimum they need for any given day. And since the payouts got smaller their gold counts has come to a near halt.
    "The **** of the future will be the anti-****."
  • jraffa50
    559 posts
    edited August 2014
    :-)
    Hardcore gamers are familiar with the strategies and tactics of such games. Casual tappers don't want to be bothered.

Question for all. Is this really a game for "hardcore gamers"? I generally think that this is a game that doesn't require much strategy, even for events. IMO, as long as you can log in regularly all events should be pretty doable.
  • Raven_Darkstorm
    418 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I honestly think they meant for everyone to defend mostly. Just look at the time it takes for an attack especially once the castles are upgraded. We don't get enough nerds to make using more than one per building worth it. And they certainly couldn't be expecting peopl to buy nerds. This whole event is a parody of clash of clans. And pokes fun at it and then some. They gave us plenty of time to get all the rewards and then some and left it to those who really wanted to toss some money their way something to spend it on. I'm not normally one who will vocally endorse the cash shop model unless it is not abused. I've not been playing for as long as some of ya'll here have been but I have for almost 6 months now. From what I have seen the special events don't cost to much. Except for that gold mansion (what were they thinking? and same goes for those who bought it). That being the long way of saying I don't think their goal with this event was to get a lot of people to spend more money. This and the stone cutter event have been my favorites. I didn't like easter because of the RNG rewards. So I'm glad to see that gone.
  • vic147
    615 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    To be honest, I think they were going the other way around, with low payouts as I think it was intended
    all along, they bet we would spend donuts on the cheaters 20 big time, in order to defend and revenge our
    towns. But with all this mess it backfired.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    jraffa50 wrote:
    Hardcore gamers are familiar with the strategies and tactics of such games. Casual tappers don't want to be bothered.

Question for all. Is this really a game for "hardcore gamers"? I generally think that this is a game that doesn't require much strategy, even for events. IMO, as long as you can log in regularly all events should be pretty doable.

I meant that as a response to the question by Starman_thc...
    Straman_thc said: Do the players "out there" know the best tactics, or are they just winging it?

I don't think TSTO is meant for hardcore gamers. I agree with you that the base game requires little strategy. I think this event was meant to be around the difficultly of Stonecutters, if not easier. I also think it was meant to draw in some more players.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    AJtheboss1 wrote:
    I don't know how people are finished already. I've used that bug to help me advance and I'm nowhere near finished. In fact if it wasn't for that bug I'd be way behind, and I play every day. The payouts in this event are very odd, and honestly without this bug most people wouldn't be able to win this event especially since they reduced payouts of defending towns.

This entire event seems kinda odd too. The idea was grand, but the prizes and machanics of it feel rushed and clumsy. Also is it me or are the prizes for events getting stupider and stupider. I mean I'm greatful for them. I don't want anyone to think I'm complaining about them. I'm just saying in general the prizes have gone down hill since the beginning of the year.

PS: My assumption about people not being able to finish this event comes from the chart I've seen that tells you how much you need everyday in order to get all the prizes. Based on that chart I'm only a couple days ahead of the minimum I need for today. Mind you that's me using the bug. Without it I'd be behind, and I see that based on my neighbors who don't use the forum. Since they don't know about the bug they are a few thousand gold coins behind the minimum they need for any given day. And since the payouts got smaller their gold counts has come to a near halt.

Well I fell into the bug without even knowing it was there. Just because of the way I was playing it. I think that happened to many. There are still those who don't even think there is a bug.

I personally think that EA meant people to figure out that everyone should attack non-neighbors and not defend. That was the big payout. But the KL bug deterred that. Those, like me, that were initially doing the defense strategy would still have made the prize if they played medium hard.

On the prizes, they certainly are not to everyone's taste, but some like them for there forest. Maybe a way EA is trying to answer the request for more decoration items without just making them cost in-game dollars?

• Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    vic147 wrote:
    To be honest, I think they were going the other way around, with low payouts as I think it was intended
    all along, they bet we would spend donuts on the cheaters 20 big time, in order to defend and revenge our

I think it backfired too, at least for people who read the forum and blogs. But I have no idea how many people that is compared to the entire population of players. EA may decide to do nothing about those that finished early, or we may get a new level. Or some episode tie in. I sure don't know, or even have a clue. Been playing 8 months. Do any of the longtime players recall what has happened in the past with such backfiring events?

• Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I honestly think they meant for everyone to defend mostly. Just look at the time it takes for an attack especially once the castles are upgraded. We don't get enough nerds to make using more than one per building worth it. And they certainly couldn't be expecting peopl to buy nerds. This whole event is a parody of clash of clans. And pokes fun at it and then some. They gave us plenty of time to get all the rewards and then some and left it to those who really wanted to toss some money their way something to spend it on. I'm not normally one who will vocally endorse the cash shop model unless it is not abused. I've not been playing for as long as some of ya'll here have been but I have for almost 6 months now. From what I have seen the special events don't cost to much. Except for that gold mansion (what were they thinking? and same goes for those who bought it). That being the long way of saying I don't think their goal with this event was to get a lot of people to spend more money. This and the stone cutter event have been my favorites. I didn't like easter because of the RNG rewards. So I'm glad to see that gone.

I was recommending the defend at first too. It seemed to get all the prizes. It would produce the most cheaters, which could then be kept for later use when the towns were high level. Also the KL bug was causing issues with other strategies. I've switched to not defending. I've got all the prizes now in my A town, and will have them all in my B town soon. I hope to help everyone get all the prizes by letting them attack me for a sure win, whether the bug is fixed or not.
  • jraffa50
    559 posts
    edited August 2014
    jraffa50 wrote:

I meant that as a response to the question by Starman_thc...
    Straman_thc said: Do the players "out there" know the best tactics, or are they just winging it?

I don't think TSTO is meant for hardcore gamers. I agree with you that the base game requires little strategy. I think this event was meant to be around the difficultly of Stonecutters, if not easier. I also think it was meant to draw in some more players.

Because I think this game is generally pretty straightforward, I think they meant to have players defend by clearing shields and then attack strangers and maybe friends. I think they thought there would be slow progress which is the reason the event lasts so long. Obviously the glitches have changed the speed at which people are finishing. But I think that the prizes they have in place are not good enough at all to expect players to grind for 6 weeks. I have one left and should pick it up in a day or two. That seems reasonable for the quality of the prize. I'd be pretty disappointed if I was playing consistently through Oct. 7th and that was all I got.

• mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    vic147 wrote:

I think it backfired too, at least for people who read the forum and blogs. But I have no idea how many people that is compared to the entire population of players. EA may decide to do nothing about those that finished early, or we may get a new level. Or some episode tie in. I sure don't know, or even have a clue. Been playing 8 months. Do any of the longtime players recall what has happened in the past with such backfiring events?

If by 'backfiring', you mean that there are a number of people that finish the event early? Nothing, really, those people just get to sit around waiting for the next update for longer. :wink:
  • xamovo
    296 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I didn't use any donuts to speed up this event and while I played a lot, I don't think I went overboard. I'm nearly done. Maybe it was a glitch or I just had good luck combined with good strategy. But when I look at my friends' totals of gold? They have about 1/5 of what I do. So yeah, it kind of sucks for me to have another month of this, but for my friends? They won't have to worry about not finishing.
  • NOVA_POLARI
    1010 posts
    edited August 2014
    I think I understand EA's logic behind this event. They wanted to make it free and long. All of us could probably clear the event with no use of doughnuts after a while. Plus for the first time that I know of there is no event character. If you want to finish early EA could easily make a fortune off of you but most of the community is not like that. So what could be EA's plan for this event? Its simple to keep us playing. This event if fun and long so most of us will be playing daily, it also may of attracted some inactive players. That way as we are playing and they add new stuff we are more likely to buy it. Plus the new season is starting soon there are probably going to have a lot of tie ins with premium items. I also think they will add new prizes to get people who finish the event early back. The prizes will probably be a LOT of gold so they can release new stuff for you to buy as you are playing. Also not only that but the event ends about a week before Halloween will start so that will lure us all back in to spend some more doughnuts. So in truth EA has not made much money from this event yet but in time they will :twisted:
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    mwdalton wrote:
    vic147 wrote:

If by 'backfiring', you mean that there are a number of people that finish the event early? Nothing, really, those people just get to sit around waiting for the next update for longer. :wink:

Unless more content comes you're right about that last. Even when there hasn't been a glitch backfiring EA's plans, some have spent donuts to rush an event in the past. It's just strange for me because I haven't ever spent donuts to speed up anything, haven't spent any donuts on anything in this event, and I've got all the prizes.
  • chrisgyo
    1030 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    i'm not quite sure what they imaged

without the bug why would anyone want to earn over 100,000 elixir in order to upgrade all castles to level 20???? what for??
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    chrisgyo wrote:
    i'm not quite sure what they imaged

without the bug why would anyone want to earn over 100,000 elixir in order to upgrade all castles to level 20???? what for??

I suppose if they want more walls for the castles, instead of paying the donuts for the ones that cost donuts? A bunch of hay carts and stocks?

I'd like to put all this stuff in KL. A renaissance fair section.
  • ZennGlenn
    1725 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I for one will actually be quite surprised if we do not see more in game updates / content in the next week or so...
    -and maybe even a little Barbarian NFL prank :wink:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!