EA Forums - Banner

Lvl 20+ castles

Prev1
I'm going to try to at least level boxingham high enough to get two or three extra walls. What else am I going to do with a month's worth of elixer?

Replies

• mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited August 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    I'm going to try to at least level boxingham high enough to get two or three extra walls. What else am I going to do with a month's worth of elixer?

Drink it?

I'm not updating my castles past 20 nerd production atm. Otherwise neighbours will never destroy anything. I tend not to attack towns with 24+hr timers since the chances of winning are virtually impossible
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    mpwarner wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:

Drink it?

I'm not updating my castles past 20 nerd production atm. Otherwise neighbours will never destroy anything. I tend not to attack towns with 24+hr timers since the chances of winning are virtually impossible
    I attack my neighbors for their benefit, not mine. I attack randoms for my own benefit. I presume most of my neighbors use similar tactics, since they continue to attack me.
  • boldbhoy
    277 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    mpwarner wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:

Drink it?

I attack my neighbors for their benefit, not mine. I attack randoms for my own benefit. I presume most of my neighbors use similar tactics, since they continue to attack me.

That's exactly my attitude. When I visit my neighbours on my daily rounds I'll always attack one or two things as most of them will defend in time and gain the gold & elixer. If they don't they won't lose anything by it. As for not updating your nerds past 20!!! Why on earth would you not want to attack as many as possible. I send out 75 nerds every couple of hours and I should complete the quest line by this evening. In terms of completing I've found this the easiest quest since I started playing. When you get into the routine of making time every couple of hours to collect and send out your nerds the gold and elixer rolls in every time you open the game.
  • dtj507
    98 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    I've got all the prizes now and up to 70 nerds so I'm quite happy where I am at the moment. Fortunately I had time on my hands and was able to send my nerds out every two hours and progressed quite quick. Now I'm just attacking all my neighbours to help them out, hopefully! I don't really want to have 3 huge castles taking up land so I've just built the main castle and put the others inside that. Think it looks ok.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    boldbhoy wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    mpwarner wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:

Drink it?

That's exactly my attitude. When I visit my neighbours on my daily rounds I'll always attack one or two things as most of them will defend in time and gain the gold & elixer. If they don't they won't lose anything by it. As for not updating your nerds past 20!!! Why on earth would you not want to attack as many as possible. I send out 75 nerds every couple of hours and I should complete the quest line by this evening. In terms of completing I've found this the easiest quest since I started playing. When you get into the routine of making time every couple of hours to collect and send out your nerds the gold and elixer rolls in every time you open the game.

But your neighbors get so little elixir/gold for clearing shields since the change. However they do get a chance for a cheater. And some of my neighbors seem to want me to attack them for grins. So I spend some nerds on my neighbors.

I'm playing the game not defending. So my neighbors that want to attack me for some reason will get a win. But they could get a better win by attacking random towns.

I attack random towns that are also playing the game not defending.

When you are not defending it really does not matter to those attacking you what your town level is! They can put just one nerd on any non-castle and be guaranteed of a win. Hence that nerd makes the maximum that he could.

So I get to upgrade my castles to whatever I want.

I've got all the prizes in both my games, and have not spent one donut.

I only switched to not defending the other day. The real source of my finishing early is that bug that pays losses as wins in certain situations.

By the way... I'm well aware that with the bug you can make more money with your random town attacks by keep hitting the attack button until you find a castle that you can spend one nerd on to knock it down to time T, where you do not intend to get back into your game until T hours. The castle win pays twice what the house win does for a random town and the bug guarantees you a win unless the person defends before you leave your game. So you'd get your max nerds right before a final run of this type. But ... that is a lot of work, and like I said, I've got all the prizes. I'm not sure I want more castle walls. The way I'm playing instead is much easier. I see many towns that are playing as not defending. And if they want to clear the shields, that's fine with me too. And if EA fixes the bug, then I think this strategy is the one that would pay best.

[Edit: Last par.]
  • GeminiTina
    330 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Currently, I'm 300 elixir from Boxingham getting upgraded to 21. I've been done for a week now. What else can I do?
    I set up a non-defending house farm 3 days into the event (it always has empty houses) Tried the glitch yesterday, but brought in less than I did playing smart and active the first week of the event. Visits have tapered down to only a handful since so many are using the 'don't play for many hours' method. I am just bored.
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    The sad thing is, that 105000 elixir pricetag is almost certainly the result of programmer error. There is no way they meant for it to cost 105k.

Level 19 costs 8500 elixir
    Level 20 costs 9400 elixir
    Level 21 and up is apparently coded to cost "250*(1+CastleLevel)*(2*CastleLevel)" (though this is 210k when I do the math, so it might not be exactly right)

I bet what the programmer meant to write was
    250*((1+CastleLevel)+(2+CastleLevel))
    which equals 10750 elixir for level 21

Oh well, this isn't nearly their biggest programming mistake. It's unfortunate -- they did some awesome work in putting together this event. It only takes a couple of oversights to sully things a bit. Wish there was a way to forward these things to them so they can fix them.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:
    The sad thing is, that 105000 elixir pricetag is almost certainly the result of programmer error. There is no way they meant for it to cost 105k.

Level 21 and up is apparently coded to cost "250*(1+CastleLevel)*(2*CastleLevel)" (though this is 210k when I do the math, so it might not be exactly right)

Oh well, this isn't nearly their biggest programming mistake.

:thumbup:

• Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    GeminiTina wrote:
    Currently, I'm 300 elixir from Boxingham getting upgraded to 21. I've been done for a week now. What else can I do?
    I set up a non-defending house farm 3 days into the event (it always has empty houses) Tried the glitch yesterday, but brought in less than I did playing smart and active the first week of the event. Visits have tapered down to only a handful since so many are using the 'don't play for many hours' method. I am just bored.

I'm done also. Also playing undefended in both my towns. My town defense level is 9. Yet I'm getting visits. My castles are 16,16,16. I don't know if it is something I'm doing about the layout, or if I was just lucky. I think this is my second day with this strategy. Here are some of the things I've done, or seen other people do to make it clear I'm not defending.

- Hail Ants signs throughout the house farms.
    - House farms near the castles.
    - Flanders near the castles.
    - Purposely leave some destroyed houses to make it even clearer.
    - Removed all the walls, gates, etc. Just the castle Keeps.
    - Turn on Xmas lights. It's a gift. :)

Other ideas?

• maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:

Oh well, this isn't nearly their biggest programming mistake. It's unfortunate -- they did some awesome work in putting together this event. It only takes a couple of oversights to sully things a bit. Wish there was a way to forward these things to them so they can fix them.

Yeah, probably! :-\
  • GeminiTina
    330 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:
    The sad thing is, that 105000 elixir pricetag is almost certainly the result of programmer error. There is no way they meant for it to cost 105k

:shock: I missed the last 0 when I looked at this! I guess I do have something to work towards now.
  • GeminiTina
    330 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    GeminiTina wrote:

I'm done also. Also playing undefended in both my towns. My town defense level is 9. Yet I'm getting visits. My castles are 16,16,16. I don't know if it is something I'm doing about the layout, or if I was just lucky. I think this is my second day with this strategy. Here are some of the things I've done, or seen other people do to make it clear I'm not defending.

Other ideas?

I wrote "no defend" in bushes with arrows pointing to the houses north and east of the castles. I like the lights idea. I might do that after the next rebuild round.
  • SnarkTheCat
    138 posts
    edited August 2014
    I have done the Hail Ants sign, spelled no defense in flowers, clear handshakes and leave destroyed buildings in my town.

I think I may also turn on some Holiday lights on my houses also. I have been playing No defense since day 2.
  • fuffazzoni
    627 posts
    edited August 2014
    I seriously hope the 105k for a wall is a an error. Without the no-login glitch there's no way one would waste 100k+ on a single wall, even if premium (just 2 donuts I could earn from any neighbor visit tour). Plus, the insane price is for the barbarian castle aswell, no sane dude would level that castle when its wall cost 100 elixir. This HAS to be another programming error, even if I get to that many elixir I won't spend any until I hear directly from EA "Yes, it was intended".
  • amazonprimechic
    1260 posts Member
    edited August 2014
    Mopurglar wrote:

Makes sense that 105K is another mistake. Would nice if EA sets lowers it to 10.5K. The way it is now I'll stop upgrading at level 19 and just buy 100s of freemium walls, towers, gates, stocks, banners and carts.
  • lee67628
    818 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Here are some of the things I've done, or seen other people do to make it clear I'm not defending.
    Er... Why need Flanders near the castles? :roll:
    TSTO Completionist since 2012
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    lee67628 wrote:
    Here are some of the things I've done, or seen other people do to make it clear I'm not defending.
    Er... Why need Flanders near the castles? :roll:

I see you using the eye-roll a lot. Curious as to what you think it means.

If the castles are not being attacked then if Flanders is not being attacked it scrolls to his house. With the above suggestions that would also be near your farms. So it helps establish the desired landing zone.
  • lee67628
    818 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Exactly what it meant to be. :roll:
    If the castles are not being attacked then if Flanders is not being attacked it scrolls to his house. With the above suggestions that would also be near your farms. So it helps establish the desired landing zone.
    Does the whereabouts of Flanders affect the landing zone? :?
    TSTO Completionist since 2012
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    lee67628 wrote:
    Exactly what it meant to be. :roll:
    Does the whereabouts of Flanders affect the landing zone? :?

Sent you a PM.

To answer your question, yes it does, in the way I said.
  • Neglecterino
    5175 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    This has been posted before but I'll repeat it here. The relevance to the topic is that if you do upgrade your castles and want to switch to not defending, then you may want to control the landing zone so the attacker will see what you are doing. We've also posted above other ways to make it clear. A bunch of burnt down houses seems a clear indication.

Here is the landing zone order.

Castles

Flanders' house
    The big advantage to Flanders is that if you keep it cleared then you don't really have to bother rearranging your town. Just pick the house color you are going to use, and make a farm of it near Castles and Flanders.

Blue house
    White house
    Orange house
    Purple house
    Pink house
    Brown house
    Skinner's house
    VanHouten's house
    Willie’s shack
    Wiggum's house
    Nelson Muntz's house
    Sanjay’s house
    Pumpkin house
    Gingerbread house
    Crazy Cat house
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.