EA Forums - Banner

Trip to London

Prev1
Anywhere in particular you fancy going? What type of things are you into?

There plenty to see in London

Might be worth PM'ing Bee as well being she just come back from here and will have a few ideas being she went to a few places :)

Replies

• mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Pretty much the whole city. Just downtown alone will keep you busy for more than a day.

The Thames Clipper is a nice way to get around pretty fast and see the city from the Thames. I always enjoy that.
    Get off at the Londen Eye pier and walk across Westminster bridge towards The Big Ben. Corny or not, you should see it when you're there. :wink:
  • henpot7514
    6011 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks guys :D

I think I'm gonna go the cliche route with Big Ben etc. and probably madam tussauds.
    I just wondered if there was anything quite obscure no-one really knows about that we could do. For instance, Edinburgh has the dungeons and Mary kings close which are great.
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    henpot7514 wrote:
    Thanks guys :D

I think I'm gonna go the cliche route with Big Ben etc. and probably madam tussauds.
    I just wondered if there was anything quite obscure no-one really knows about that we could do. For instance, Edinburgh has the dungeons and Mary kings close which are great.

When we go in October, we're doing a version of the Sherlock tour. Hoping I might see Ben... ;-)
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Neo would know that better than i do since he lives there but i do know that there is an attraction called the London Dungeon just outside the London Eye Pier and you do NOT want to go there.

Don't be fooles by it's name. It's not what you are looking for. It's a very busy tourist attraction with some theater and storytelling and imo more meant for kids.
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I have a question about Europe. Do all the hotels have private bathrooms or do some of the really cheap ones have a shared bathroom. I ask because my inlaws went there in the 70's and had a problem with it. The bathrooms in hotels and climate controll (Air Conditioning/ Heating) in some hotels were a problem as well. I'm assuming this in not the case since it's the 21st century.

Also, since I was going to be there in January, I was planning on the tourist being down, so I was only going to reserve a few nights of hotels and get the rest as we move around London. Is that going to be okay. I like to schedule my vacations as little as possible and let the road take me :)

One more thing. Does anyone know the English to English translation of the bed sizes? I was looking briefly at hotels and noticed they don't have the same size designations, i.e. Twin, Full, Queen, and King.
  • wilki1999
    3974 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Ok, the whole answer of this question depends on which part of London you are going to. Unless you don't mind going across London in the traffic. It also depends on what you want to see - museums, sights, special places etc. let me know, I'm a near expert on London, I've been there a lot and I even did a project on what to see in London. So let me know, I'm all ears :)
  • jimmytagz
    185 posts
    edited September 2014
    I have a question about Europe. Do all the hotels have private bathrooms or do some of the really cheap ones have a shared bathroom. I ask because my inlaws went there in the 70's and had a problem with it. The bathrooms in hotels and climate controll (Air Conditioning/ Heating) in some hotels were a problem as well. I'm assuming this in not the case since it's the 21st century.

Also, since I was going to be there in January, I was planning on the tourist being down, so I was only going to reserve a few nights of hotels and get the rest as we move around London. Is that going to be okay. I like to schedule my vacations as little as possible and let the road take me :)

One more thing. Does anyone know the English to English translation of the bed sizes? I was looking briefly at hotels and noticed they don't have the same size designations, i.e. Twin, Full, Queen, and King.
    I have never been to anywhere with shared bathrooms in Europe but just check with the hotel before you book. You should be ok though
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    jimmytagz wrote:

I have never been to anywhere with shared bathrooms in Europe but just check with the hotel before you book. You should be ok though

Well, that's the thing. Our plan is to stay in London for a week and then drive to other parts of the UK for the remainder of the week. And I just wanted to get hotels for the night as we traveled. I'm more worried about the hotels in the smaller towns to the north of London than I am of London. Sorry, I wasn't clear above. I meant "as we move around England or the UK.
  • jimmytagz
    185 posts
    edited September 2014
    jimmytagz wrote:

Well, that's the thing. Our plan is to stay in London for a week and then drive to other parts of the UK for the remainder of the week. And I just wanted to get hotels for the night as we traveled. I'm more worried about the hotels in the smaller towns to the north of London than I am of London. Sorry, I wasn't clear above. I meant "as we move around England or the UK.

Depends on how much you are spending. For like £25 a night you can stay at a travelogdge. They are good and quite cheap with free wifi for a hour. They are all over the place
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    jimmytagz wrote:

I have been to a lot of hotels troughout Europe and i have NEVER seen a shared bathroom. Couldn't imagine it to be honest as well. Think the 70's are long gone. Every hotel has airco etc.

Also: You should be fine with getting hotels as you go. Done that tons of times. The prices are usually a bit higher then when you book in advance but especially the larger towns have lots of hotels where yuo can book a room at the reception. You should be fine in the smaller towns as well.

Are you just going to the UK? Or other parts of Europe as well?
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited September 2014

Just the UK. We figure with the two weeks we are there, there will be enough to do in the UK. I know my fiance' wants to see Stonehenge and some Roman Baths. Also hoping to make it to Liverpool because we are both big Beatles Fans. Hopefully we can make it to either Scotland or Ireland. Scotland seems neat, but it is going to be late January early February so I'm not sure if going that far north is a good idea.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014

Just the UK. We figure with the two weeks we are there, there will be enough to do in the UK. I know my fiance' wants to see Stonehenge and some Roman Baths. Also hoping to make it to Liverpool because we are both big Beatles Fans. Hopefully we can make it to either Scotland or Ireland. Scotland seems neat, but it is going to be late January early February so I'm not sure if going that far north is a good idea.

The Scottish go that far north. :lol:

Serioiusly though. Have a great time. Dont let the seasons hold you back. Roads are excellent up there. Snow or rain should not be any problem.
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited September 2014

Serioiusly though. Have a great time. Dont let the seasons hold you back. Roads are excellent up there. Snow or rain should not be any problem.

Good to know and thanks. Driving over there should be interesting. We drive on the right side of the road here in the states. Driving on the left will definitely be an adventure, especially those left hand turns. I will definitely be getting the insurance on the rental car :lol:
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014

Good to know and thanks. Driving over there should be interesting. We drive on the right side of the road here in the states. Driving on the left will definitely be an adventure, especially those left hand turns. I will definitely be getting the insurance on the rental car :lol:

Yeah, they are a pain in the *.

We drive on the right side here in Holland as well ( just as the rest of Europe ) so driving in the UK is an adventure on it's own. :lol:

Be carefull for people popping out of "nowhere".
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited September 2014
    I love holly willoughby. I am very jealous. That is all
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited September 2014

We drive on the right side here in Holland as well ( just as the rest of Europe ) so driving in the UK is an adventure on it's own. :lol:

I'm not worried about that. Crimes don't count in you are in a different country right :wink:
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014

I'm not worried about that. Crimes don't count in you are in a different country right :wink:

Youre absolutely right about that one! Woohoo! Real life GTA! :D:D
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited September 2014

That's pretty darn funny. I almost literally laughed out loud which would've not been good. The bosses were standing right near my office.
  • bee88161
    2976 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    jimmytagz wrote:

I have been to a lot of hotels troughout Europe and i have NEVER seen a shared bathroom. Couldn't imagine it to be honest as well. Think the 70's are long gone. Every hotel has airco etc.

Also: You should be fine with getting hotels as you go. Done that tons of times. The prices are usually a bit higher then when you book in advance but especially the larger towns have lots of hotels where yuo can book a room at the reception. You should be fine in the smaller towns as well.

I wish every hotel had air con, the amount of nights we had to sleep covered in wet towels was ridiculous :lol:

Henpot, if you like Harry potter then there's platform 9 3/4 at kings cross station, you can get your picture taken "going through" the wall lol. There's abbey road of course. If you like a good haunted story, there's the ten bells pub (jack the ripper pub). If you like clubbing then ministry of sound is a must!
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014

That's pretty darn funny. I almost literally laughed out loud which would've not been good. The bosses were standing right near my office.

:lol::lol:
    Gotta be carefull there!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!