EA Forums - Banner

Scottish Independence( also groundskeeper Willie!)

Prev1

Replies

• OnePoundBeef
    680 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Brevis45 wrote:
    Which ever way it goes one way or another Alex Salmond will end up with egg on his face.
    I personally hope it is a NO vote because I go up to Scotland every year to Avemore in the winter and a yes vote could make a lot of changes to that and weather I would bother going up there any more.

I do agree. I'm English and we hate the scots now, thanks Sammond. I think it'll either be 50/50 or 49/51. It'll be very, very tight. Youtude links are blocked FYI
  • Jblue8298
    7994 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    L_B_123XD wrote:

Does anyone know how to get YT links, still don't know how
    FTFY - take out the 's' in 'https'
  • L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Jblue8298 wrote:
    L_B_123XD wrote:

Does anyone know how to get YT links, still don't know how
    FTFY - take out the 's' in 'https'

Thank you so much! Never know how to do that and it annoyed me so much
  • henpot7514
    6011 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Brevis45 wrote:
    Which ever way it goes one way or another Alex Salmond will end up with egg on his face.
    I personally hope it is a NO vote because I go up to Scotland every year to Avemore in the winter and a yes vote could make a lot of changes to that and weather I would bother going up there any more.

I do agree. I'm English and we hate the scots now, thanks Sammond. I think it'll either be 50/50 or 49/51. It'll be very, very tight. Youtude links are blocked FYI

You hate the scots now? What have we done?
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited September 2014

Skip to 4:20 for the song :lol:

IMO yes they should go independent, Let's be honest Britain hasn't been United for along time now.
    If they do vote yes, then fair play. I just don't want them staying but then threatening to leave all the time.....like we do with the EU :oops: lol

I don't hate Scottland tho :lol:

(I'm an Englishman). Thought I'd clarify that as my location isn't in my profile :lol:
  • OnePoundBeef
    680 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    henpot7514 wrote:
    Brevis45 wrote:

Admittly not all, but the Scottish independence campaign has brought about rather a lot of dislike for 'some' scots. Obviously it's only around 1.5 million that want indepence. But personally, I've heard a lot of anti Scottish jokes in the past few weeks.
  • henpot7514
    6011 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    henpot7514 wrote:
    Brevis45 wrote:

Admittly not all, but the Scottish independence campaign has brought about rather a lot of dislike for 'some' scots. Obviously it's only around 1.5 million that want indepence. But personally, I've heard a lot of anti Scottish jokes in the past few weeks.

I've heard anti-English jokes all my life - I don't hate the English just certain cliches like yourself who believe you speak for 53milliom people.
  • urlaub694
    3608 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm 1/16 Scottish so go Scotland!

I think there would be huge problems. Currency, debt and head of state to name a few. The biggest problem would be EU, Nato and UN memberships, which they would probably fail to join.

All in all I wish them independence.
  • MrJuanMata
    5344 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Should be a fun week :lol: I think me and McTattie are the only Scots on here :P
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I had no idea that this referendum was happening. :shock:

I feel I need to study up on the issues and impacts before I form an opinion.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    MrJuanMata wrote:
    Should be a fun week :lol: I think me and McTattie are the only Scots on here :P

Henpot is Scottish.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Bravewall wrote:

Really? You need to go back to school! ;-)
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Bravewall wrote:

Really? You need to go back to school! ;-)

I'm aware of the history. :hunf: I'm just not up on my world news. Theres just too much nonsense to follow out there, and I'm too busy to follow it. I have you lot to babysit on my spare time, after all. :P

I'm a 6th generation Canadian, descended from a long line of Scottish business class. My grandfather fought in WW2 with the Toronto Scottish regiment. And while I don't feel personally connected to Scotland in any way, I do know what its like have the English monarchy instilled in the background of every day life. Its ridiculous that the Queen of England can come to Canada for a "vacation," with a squad of snipers on every rooftop, block access to the highways and bridges for an entire half-hour, just to let her motorcade drive on it, keep her head on our money, and delegate a Governor General to have final say on all aspects of our parliament decisions. I don't care what the Loyalists say. She isn't just a symbolic head-of-state. She's a straight up gangster, and I completely denounce her dominion over me.

I know that things are different with Scotland. I know that there is strong support for the union. I like British and Scottish people, but if it came right down to it, I'd want what is best for Scotland, and I could care less what the imperialistic minded Brits think about it. The question is would separating from England be what is best for Scotland?

I dunno... In Canada we sometimes have very similar referendums with Quebec. I remember back in the 90's we held on to them by just 51%. Half their province wanted to leave so badly. Its French culture is vastly different from the rest of Canada, and I'm sure they're not too fond of the English Monarchy either. And I think to myself sometimes, would it really be so bad if they had separated? Would we need toll booths? Different Money? Diplomatic relations? In the end I don't think it really matters that much. If they want to leave, or stay thats for them to decide, just as long as they understand the consequences, and are not letting their spite for the bigger chunk of the country cloud their future.

I've got no ill will towards Quebec, and if its really in the majority's interest to split, then more power too them. The rest of us will be fine. I'm sick of their politicians in our parliament having nothing to do there, besides talk about when they want to hold another referendum, and what the rest of Canada owes Quebec. Its a waste of parliament seats and a joke to democracy in general. But if the French Canadians who want to stay have good points to make for staying, then they shouldn't let the bitter french ruin a good thing for them.

Does this all sound relative Britain? :wink:
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, I'm an American, so it's none of my business, and I don't feel entitled to an opinion. My great-grandmother was Irish Catholic, however, so don't get me started on Northern Ireland. Zipping my mouth shut now....
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • suemoorhead
    117 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm English and married to a Scotsman living in Northern England and would hate to have Scotland not a part of the United Kingdom anymore!! Hoping very much for a No vote on Thursday!!
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm Canadian and agree with everything that Bravewall says regarding the province of Quebec and it's place among the rest of the territories and provinces. It especially irks me when Quebec politicians refer to their province as a separate entity to separate themselves from the rest of Canada.

To me, I gave always thought of Scotland as a separate and unique country. If the vote is yes I'm sure there will be major changes ahead for Scotland...

On a side note, I would like to see the Commonwealth dissolved. The monarch is a figurehead only, and provides no value that I can see to Canada or any other nation in the commonwealth....oh except for the millions of dollars it costs this country whenever one of the royals cares to grace this country with their presence..not to mention the cost for the Governor General, the queens representative that is ceremonial only...

I could go on but...
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I could go on but...
    Well, I'm sure all of Canada will be very interested in the outcome, and Quebec will be particularly watching and learning from all of Scotland's mistakes. :wink:
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I'm Dutch so i really cannot decide for the Scots. I am a resident of the EU however and if Scotland decides to be independent i think we should welcome them in the EU.

I just truly hope that they won't act the same as GB is doing now in the EU because that's not contributing anything.

If Scotland wants to be a real part of the EU and pay their fair share without complaining about everything and giving themselves a "special status", i would welcome them with open arms.

If they want to act like GB is acting now within the EU, they should keep thinsg they are now.

My opinion, not necessarily the opinion of other Dutch people or people in general. :P
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited September 2014
    I just truly hope that they won't act the same as GB is doing now in the EU because that's not contributing anything.

I'll be voting out of the EU when that comes up.

We contribute nothing because we get nothing. Which is why I understand Scottland wanting their independence.

We shouldnt need to answer to someone higher. So I'm all for Scottland and it's independence :mrgreen:
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Skyrim-mrp wrote:

I'll be voting out of the EU when that comes up.

We contribute nothing because we get nothing. Which is why I understand Scottland wanting their independence.

We shouldnt need to answer to someone higher. So I'm all for Scottland and it's independence :mrgreen:

It's exactly that attitude that i was referring to. :P

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with that attitude. Just not very usefull in a union with other countries. If that is the way Brits feel, then leave. Or stay and be a part of it. NOt stay somewhere in the middle.

"Yeah, we want to be a part of what you guys are doing, but not fully. So, we only try half okay." That's basically what's been going on with the UK and the EU for the last 30 years. :P
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!