Deleted Partition

Prev1
Can't you just make a new one?

You haven't done a factory reset yet, right? :wink:

Replies

• brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Didn't know you could make a new one :shock: I know almost nothing about this.

Obviously, no :lol:
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    As long as you have not done a reset, you can make a new one.

What kind of laptop do you have?
    Ill make a small tutorial for you. Hang on.
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    It's a HP Envy. Thanks!
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    It's a HP Envy. Thanks!

NP. Did you buy it with Windows 8 installed? Or did you upgrade from another windows version?
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    It came installed with Windows 8.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    It came installed with Windows 8.

Right. I take it you want to keep your files? Or do you just want to do a clean install and you dont care about your files?
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    I don't care about my files. I've backed it up. So if they need to go, it doesn't matter.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Allright, well lucky for you. Windows 8 comes with it's own recovery options.

Go to your pc-settings ( mouse in right upper corner until the bar appears and click on settings -->> change pc-settings ). Navigate to the last option, named update & recovery.

In that menu, go to the last option: System recovery. Here you can choose to clean up your system without losing any files or do a clean installk and install windows 8 again.

Be sure to save all you password and upgrade codes ( example: windows 8.1 update code if you have that, Antivirus software password, etc. ).

If you don;t trust things and ytou want to make a recovery partition, follow these steps:

Check for a Recovery Partition
      [li]Press Windows key + W on your keyboard to conduct a new Search[/li]
      [li]In the search box, type ‘command’ and hit Enter[/li]
      [li]Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator in the toolbar below Confirm UAC alert by clicking the Yes button[/li]
      [li]In the command prompt screen, type RECIMG /SHOWCURRENT and hit Enter[/li]
      [li]An error message displayed shows that the recovery partition does not exist[/li]
    Check-If-Recovery-Drive-Exists-Windows-8.jpg

Create a Recovery Partition
      [li]Stay on the Command Prompt screen and use following command lines[/li]
      [li]Type MKDIR C:\REFRESHIMAGE and hit Enter, to create a folder for recovery partition[/li]
      [li]Type RECIMG -CREATEIMAGE C:\REFRESHIMAGE and hit Enter, to create the image in the newly created folder Note: In the above commands replace C with the drive letter you want to use as a recovery partition.[/li]
    How-to-Create-Recovery-Partition-Using-Command-Prompt.jpg

Good luck. Let me know if you need anything else.
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks! I'll try that when I get back from lab and see if it works. Cheers!
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks! I'll try that when I get back from lab and see if it works. Cheers!

Good luck!
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for the help, Elian, but creating my own recovery partition didn't work. Looks like I'm gonna have to reinstall the OS somehow.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Contact HP in your region. They will send you a copy of HP recovery.
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Already tried. They wont do it for free and it's not cheap.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Already tried. They wont do it for free and it's not cheap.

That sucks. :(

I'm gonna see if i can find another way to create partition. Have you tried to boot your pc while pressing F11?
    That can bring you into the recovery menu. You might be able to make a new partition from there.
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Thanks. I haven't because it wouldn't let me restore it the normal way because of that missing partition so I'm worried if I do it that way and it doesn't work, it wont let me back in.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Well, whatever you decide to do, be sure to save your Windows 8 product-id.

In the file explorer, right click on "my computer". In the menu that pops-up, clock properties.
    Your product-id is in the bottom. Right underneath " Windows is activated".
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Ahh, thanks! I've been looking for that!
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    Maybe you can try the windows own recovery / factory reset now you have the code...

Maybe not. :?: :(:lol:
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    How do you do that? :lol:

I was thinking I could download windows 8 from the Internet and then put in my code.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited September 2014
    How do you do that? :lol:

I was thinking I could download windows 8 from the Internet and then put in my code.

Here ya go!
    Go to your pc-settings ( mouse in right upper corner until the bar appears and click on settings -->> change pc-settings ). Navigate to the last option, named update & recovery.

In that menu, go to the last option: System recovery. Here you can choose to clean up your system without losing any files or do a clean installk and install windows 8 again.

Be sure to save all you password and upgrade codes ( example: windows 8.1 update code if you have that, Antivirus software password, etc. ).
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!