EA Forums - Banner

Those little annoyances

Prev134
I'm sorry but I can't agree with this rant.

I don't think a person should have to completely redesign their town for a temporary event. If they created their town where the residential area is off to the side, then go to it or unfriend them if it really bothers you that much. It's a bit extreme to expect people to completely change their towns just so a visitor can find the coin generating houses.

During normal play time, you are looking for buildings to vandalize so I would venture to guess that many towns are designed around that in mind.

(Caveat: I do think that people should put up some brown houses temporarily to help their friends get coins but those should be off to the side and not destroying the overall design of the town)

Replies

• jaffaface
    903 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I don't think he's saying re-design your town for an event, he's saying that people space there houses to far out you have to search for them, but each to their own.

I know exactly what you mean, I have crashed out of friends towns many a time. As soon as the lag starts I usually try to click out before it kicks me out, but to no such avail, my bonus was out the window, and my main irk is, not so much layout, but people who have huge towns, and fill them in with a few shrubs, and they are always the ones that cause me to crash to.

My main pet peeve is trying to locate characters, if I can't remember what task their on, it requires me knocking on everyones door like a Jehovah witness.
  • sonny1618
    1543 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    lissarv68 wrote:

I don't think a person should have to completely redesign their town for a temporary event. If they created their town where the residential area is off to the side, then go to it or unfriend them if it really bothers you that much. It's a bit extreme to expect people to completely change their towns just so a visitor can find the coin generating houses.

During normal play time, you are looking for buildings to vandalize so I would venture to guess that many towns are designed around that in mind.

(Caveat: I do think that people should put up some brown houses temporarily to help their friends get coins but those should be off to the side and not destroying the overall design of the town)

I'm with Lisa (lissa?), I don't think anyone should feel obliged to redesign their town to put fast-regenerating decorated house at the welcome square just so their friends can jump in and out while coin farming, even though there seems to be a lot of that sentiment on the board at the moment.

During normal gameplay outside of this seasonal update I'm used to travelling around my friend's towns, not just for the pleasure of checking out their work, but to find their spray paint-able buildings so as to help them out with their righteousness rating and give them some extra cash and XP. If not, I like to tap on the expensive and lengthy income tax buildings to help them by resetting the timer, which does nothing for them on the brown or Flanders or Simpsons houses.

As a result, even when I'm coin farming myself and not vandalising during this month (at least until I finish all the quests), I always seek out the buildings with a slower turnaround if possible and have a natural aversion to tapping brown houses. If there really is no other option, I like to find a far-flung building in some random corner of the town to tap to indicate that I've actually spent time looking around.

The major "little annoyance" I have is when people pay no real attention to the look of their town at all, but those have almost all disappeared from my friends list as I've connected with new and more dedicated players through this forum.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Iit's Melissa. I took on the name of Lissa over a decade ago when I first started my internet presence because for some reason the name Melissa was not available in any variation....can't imagine why....lol.

Sonny1618 - I think I must play like you do because I don't just hop in and out. I like looking around the towns and seeing what other people are doing. I almost always notice when somebody has made a change because I have looked around their town. I think that's why I don't mind hunting down the coin-generating houses because I'm already looking around anyways.

An annoyance for me is when I have to scroll past acres of house farms just to see the town. I've said before that I don't mind house farms (we each play in our own special way) but for me, personally, I would prefer that they were tucked away so I can enjoy the town instead of just seeing house...after house....after house....crammed together.
  • jaffaface
    903 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    sonny1618 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:
    During normal gameplay outside of this seasonal update I'm used to travelling around my friend's towns, not just for the pleasure of checking out their work, but to find their spray paint-able buildings so as to help them out with their righteousness rating and give them some extra cash and XP.

My righteousness has gone up to 5 stars because no one has been vandalising my town, I thought that's how it worked :?
  • sonny1618
    1543 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    jaffaface wrote:
    My righteousness has gone up to 5 stars because no one has been vandalising my town, I thought that's how it worked :?

Righteousness goes up and down like a yo-yo, but it's cleaning up vandalisation that gets it back up again. Plus it earns you cash and XP you wouldn't otherwise get from those buildings.
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, agree with Lissa and Sonny. The objective of the game is to build your OWN Springfield and therefore if you have to conform to any rules or regulations, it's not really your own.

But I understand these are just annoyances and we all have them, perhaps the OP was just explaining what irks him. Either way play how you like, that's what makes all of our Springfields completely individual.
  • Philbowen
    120 posts
    edited December 2012
    I've put 4 brown houses in to accommodate visitors next to the Simpsons/Flanders houses however ALL of my buildings are now decorated, saying that I design and build MY town to MY liking, I have never considered doing it to appease others when they visit. If you visit my town and you don't like it the simply remove me and I'll add somebody else.
  • battyguy
    1123 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I have to say.. Some of the massive house farms are a bit annoying... To each his own i guess.
    Is there anyone out there?
  • MomInVA
    3 posts
    edited December 2012
    I just started playing yesterday. Prior to really getting into the game I read through the forum to get the jist of it. I get the holiday quest and the farming aspect to gain the coins, however, when I play these types of games I, like a couple of you, prefer to really build a town. I imagine my town will not be popular in tmhe beginning with the farming folks since I don't want to pack my town back to back with brown houses.

Anyway, I like looking at the other town to get some ideas on layout ect. I don't really have a pet peeve, yet!

Happy playing everyone.
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    lissarv68 wrote:

Could not have said it better myself.
  • roadrunner1132
    73 posts
    edited December 2012
    Pet peeve isn't house farms as such, just those farms where all of the major buildings (town hall etc) are crammed into a corner as space efficiently as possible! The game is about creating a personal springfield but what is the point if all you do is have a cluster of stuff with no design?

Also when people have decorated barely any of their houses but have funzos/mapple store/other santa coin purchases. It's your choice what to spend coins in if you don't want to decorate houses, but decorating houses repays itself in 8 days! They clearly have benefitted from friends' decorated houses, but don't bother themselves.

Bit of a hypocrite though lol because house farms are great to harvest from xD
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    OK adding to the pet peeve list lol.

Trash.

I don't understand the hoarding of trash. Can somebody please explain this to me? The OCD side of me goes nuts every time I visit a town and there is trash scattered about. I want to go and clean it up for them lol.

• sonny1618
    1543 posts New member
    edited December 2012
    lissarv68 wrote:

Trash.

I don't understand the hoarding of trash. Can somebody please explain this to me? The OCD side of me goes nuts every time I visit a town and there is trash scattered about. I want to go and clean it up for them lol.

It can be a really effective decorative item. I've seen it used in all sorts of creative ways.
  • MoopsDude
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I wish I would have saved some of my trash, I think it is a great design element.
    Yes, THAT MoopsDude

I GRIND, It’s what I do
  • dagneymae
    43 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    I designed my town long before I had any friends or knew an event like xmas would have people visiting me. The only time I would even consider a redesign is if I was making it prettier or easier for ME.

What annoys me? Trying to move objects when there are a ton of things close. Maybe it's just my game but it seems to be able to sense which item I want to move and then selects 15 items around it, one at a time, before finally picking the one I want. Forests are a nightmare and fences near anything make me want to throw the iPad across the room :evil:
  • MoopsDude
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    dagney mae wrote:

What annoys me? Trying to move objects when there are a ton of things close. Maybe it's just my game but it seems to be able to sense which item I want to move and then selects 15 items around it, one at a time, before finally picking the one I want. Forests are a nightmare and fences near anything make me want to throw the iPad across the room :evil:

Yeah, that is a big one for me too, all the cycling around from object to object before getting to the one you actually tapped and want to move.
    Yes, THAT MoopsDude

I GRIND, It’s what I do
  • Cuzinlyle
    12 posts
    edited December 2012
    I'm level 24, have everything except 2 funzos, and did it all without house farming once, there's no need for it, you may as well jailbreak you idevice and get unlimited donuts if you wanna go the lazy route, you can gain coins almost as fast as not farming, plus your town actually looks like a town, instead of some weird simpsons brown house clone world.
  • tlindfors
    604 posts
    edited December 2012
    I love using the trash as decoration, but with the update taking the foliage away I had to have Lisa and Homer clean some up. I also stashed some behind buildings because I know I will want at least some of it back once spring is in the air.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    sonny1618 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

Trash.

It can be a really effective decorative item. I've seen it used in all sorts of creative ways.

I'm going to look for that then and keep an open mind. All I think when I see the trash is "clutter ACK! must clean it now!" LOL

I have kept 4 pieces of trash and placed them around Cletus farm. What I mean is those that have kept every single piece of trash to the point where it is taking up huge plots of land and they are cramming their buildings together to work around it.

Why?

I'm not even sure it is a pet peeve, to be honest, more like I just don't understand and it makes my OCD crazy seeing it.
  • Chibihalo
    376 posts
    edited December 2012
    sonny1618 wrote:
    lissarv68 wrote:

I'm with Lisa (lissa?), I don't think anyone should feel obliged to redesign their town to put fast-regenerating decorated house at the welcome square just so their friends can jump in and out while coin farming, even though there seems to be a lot of that sentiment on the board at the moment.

During normal gameplay outside of this seasonal update I'm used to travelling around my friend's towns, not just for the pleasure of checking out their work, but to find their spray paint-able buildings so as to help them out with their righteousness rating and give them some extra cash and XP. If not, I like to tap on the expensive and lengthy income tax buildings to help them by resetting the timer, which does nothing for them on the brown or Flanders or Simpsons houses.

As a result, even when I'm coin farming myself and not vandalising during this month (at least until I finish all the quests), I always seek out the buildings with a slower turnaround if possible and have a natural aversion to tapping brown houses. If there really is no other option, I like to find a far-flung building in some random corner of the town to tap to indicate that I've actually spent time looking around.

The major "little annoyance" I have is when people pay no real attention to the look of their town at all, but those have almost all disappeared from my friends list as I've connected with new and more dedicated players through this forum.

But I'm not ranting and I'm not asking that anyone change things at all. It's just one of those little things that seem to irk to right now because I'm specifically looking for houses while at the same time trying not to have things crash on me because the game decided to throw out the UFO animation again on top of the Santa!Homer animation and the falling snow. It was a wonder I was able to collect at all from one town one day and now I don't even remember which two or three high level towns are going to potentially crash on me and get me to lose out on the coins I want from them because the only things I can safely click on are businesses. Any other month I'd be fine with it but when there's too much being processed and you don't know if the crash is a town with too much going on or something happening in your town it can get to you at times.

The reason I always like to go for Homer's house, Flanders place, and the brown house is because most times the other houses aren't available to tap and that's all there is so I try and leave something for the next guy. I dont know which neighbors actually post on the forums or not, if they have ten neighbors or a hundred, and who's likely to have been someone I've interacted with. Unlike some I don't recognize any of my newer neighbors from being on here. Then there's the fact that most neighbors I have seem to put their house farms in areas people access first so I'm going to tap them so I don't risk crashing. In one town I don't even know which way to go to find houses because I crashed moving not even an inch when Homer and Kang flew by at the same time.

I know what you mean about design. I had someone who I swear was only playing for the levels and money because it was a single road with massive house farms and every business slapped together single file. That person lost me as a neighbor quick because I couldn't bare it. I didn't even do what most do and collect from them and then boot them. When it's an attempt to look like a town I'll put up with whatever people do to them because it's their game and their town. I'd hope they'd do the same for me and put up with my need to have a few constants that I will not change because at least two things have to be show accurate for me. Homer and Ned always have to be neighbors with a tree between their houses and no matter where Moe's is King Toots must follow because I have to celebrate the cluelessness of Homer when he didn't even know the music store shared a wall with Moe.

I'm sorry if I gave you two that impression after what happened on here four days ago. This was meant to be a thread on those little things that when the situation is just right they seem to crawl under your skin like no businesses ready to be tapped and you can't find the buildings to vandalize no matter how hard you look or someone's gotten to the easy to find ones (I never feel right about taking someone's chance to clean up their town).
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.