EA Forums - Banner

Trying to find an old kids book

Prev1
Sounds like an interesting children's book to say the least. Good luck in your quest!

Replies

  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Sounds like an interesting children's book to say the least. Good luck in your quest!

    Thanks!

    Love the Christmas Avatar - that is such a sweet looking cat!
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Brevis45 wrote:
    Sue I will have a trawl through the internet and ask a few book worms I know for you too. Will get back to you by the end of the day tomorrow :thumbup:

    Thank you! I have been looking for a long time for the cat one, and my 6 year old niece wants the Timbucktoo series - I still had Mr. Neigh from when I was a kid and read it to her (she loved it)! I think they were only available in the UK (that's where I got my copy of Mr. Neigh when I was about 5 or 6). Any help is really greatly appreciated!
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Well, I googled some of the plot points and found an old wives tale about putting butter on a cat's paws to help it adjust after moving house, but no book results.
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Well, I googled some of the plot points and found an old wives tale about putting butter on a cat's paws to help it adjust after moving house, but no book results.

    LOL! I've been getting all sorts of stuff like this with my searches - that's why I was hoping someone might recognize the book if I explained it here! Thanks for looking , though! You're awesome :D
  • wilki1999
    3974 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    can you remember any quotes from the book? Even small ones? That might help...
  • SirLance_Elot
    2148 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Well, I googled some of the plot points and found an old wives tale about putting butter on a cat's paws to help it adjust after moving house, but no book results.

    ROFL I know what I'm doing tonight after work!

    th?&id=HN.608035380854719180&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0
  • annettemarc
    7692 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    suetopia wrote:
    I had this book as a kid, and I've been trying to track the name down for some time now. I thought maybe someone could help me if I described what I remember from the book

    It was a book about a family of cats (mom dad and 2 or 3 kittens). Their owner was moving. They were concerned about moving and tried to stop him by putting butter on the bottom of his shoes. They somehow ended up in storage with all of the furniture and the car (that had eyelashes) helped them get out - I think. In the end they found their owner and moved into the new house and all was good!

    I think it was published in the 70's, maybe the 60's - it was pretty beat up by the time I got it. And it was illustrated. If it sounds familiar, please let me know if you know the name - I want to buy it for one of my nieces! For some reason I think Annette will have the answer, but that's just a gut feeling! :D

    And while I have you, does anyone in the UK know if the Timbuctoo series of kids books are still around? (ie. Mr. Neigh, Mr. Quack- same author of the Mr. Men and Little Miss books).

    Thanks for the help!

    Sorry, but I don't know the cats moving book. And I'm sure I would have remembered!

    I DO have what I think is GREAT news about the Timbbuctoo books ... If, that is, you would take used ones. Check out a website called "abebooks" with www before it and "" dot com" at the end. I assume you know what I mean. No direct links. Sheesh.

    BEST. BOOK. WEBSITE. EVER. Its a site where thousands of small used-bookstores around the world sell their books online and it is a virtual GOLDMINE for every possible cbook you want.

    I searched in the title field for timbuctoo neigh

    and got a dozen results, almost all from bookstores in the UK. if you click one, you get the b ook info, and then you can click the link to the author's name. I get about 20,000 listings (seriously). Mr. Silly, Little Miss Splendid, Little Miss trouble, and so on. Some are in the UK.

    There must be a UK version of the site. The prices on this version are in US dollars and shipping costs show for the US, but its shipping "from the UK".

    My advice to finding the cat book would be to look at the bookseller names for the timbuctoo series ... Find one that sounds warm and fuzzy ( more likely to be small individually run shop) one that sells lots of children's books and call Or email the shop owner. Contact info is right there. To me, small bookstores are often run by people who have owned or run the store for a long time rather than temporary clerks at a chain store., and I bet you'd find a childrens book fanatic with a great memory, and with a head just FILLED with information about old children's books.

    Sorry for all the garbled spelling. My keypad is going berserk. Time to reboot. :)

    Hope that helps. I use that site for ALL sorts of books. There has never been a book that I could NOT find there. :)

  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    suetopia wrote:
    I had this book as a kid, and I've been trying to track the name down for some time now. I thought maybe someone could help me if I described what I remember from the book

    It was a book about a family of cats (mom dad and 2 or 3 kittens). Their owner was moving. They were concerned about moving and tried to stop him by putting butter on the bottom of his shoes. They somehow ended up in storage with all of the furniture and the car (that had eyelashes) helped them get out - I think. In the end they found their owner and moved into the new house and all was good!

    I think it was published in the 70's, maybe the 60's - it was pretty beat up by the time I got it. And it was illustrated. If it sounds familiar, please let me know if you know the name - I want to buy it for one of my nieces! For some reason I think Annette will have the answer, but that's just a gut feeling! :D

    And while I have you, does anyone in the UK know if the Timbuctoo series of kids books are still around? (ie. Mr. Neigh, Mr. Quack- same author of the Mr. Men and Little Miss books).

    Thanks for the help!

    Sorry, but I don't know the cats moving book. And I'm sure I would have remembered!

    I DO have what I think is GREAT news about the Timbbuctoo books ... If, that is, you would take used ones. Check out a website called "abebooks" with www before it and "" dot com" at the end. I assume you know what I mean. No direct links. Sheesh.

    BEST. BOOK. WEBSITE. EVER. Its a site where thousands of small used-bookstores around the world sell their books online and it is a virtual GOLDMINE for every possible cbook you want.

    I searched in the title field for timbuctoo neigh

    and got a dozen results, almost all from bookstores in the UK. if you click one, you get the b ook info, and then you can click the link to the author's name. I get about 20,000 listings (seriously). Mr. Silly, Little Miss Splendid, Little Miss trouble, and so on. Some are in the UK.

    There must be a UK version of the site. The prices on this version are in US dollars and shipping costs show for the US, but its shipping "from the UK".

    My advice to finding the cat book would be to look at the bookseller names for the timbuctoo series ... Find one that sounds warm and fuzzy ( more likely to be small individually run shop) one that sells lots of children's books and call Or email the shop owner. Contact info is right there. To me, small bookstores are often run by people who have owned or run the store for a long time rather than temporary clerks at a chain store., and I bet you'd find a childrens book fanatic with a great memory, and with a head just FILLED with information about old children's books.

    Sorry for all the garbled spelling. My keypad is going berserk. Time to reboot. :)

    Hope that helps. I use that site for ALL sorts of books. There has never been a book that I could NOT find there. :)

    Thank you, Annette! My niece will be over the moon if I can get those books :). US prices are fine - I'm in Canada so if they are available in North America that is great! My Mr. Neigh book was purchased while I was a kid when we went to see relatives in England (and after searching here and finding nothing I thought they might have only been available there)! :D
    wilki1999 wrote:
    can you remember any quotes from the book? Even small ones? That might help...

    Unfortunately I don't. Just the details I listed. It has been extremely difficult trying to find it! But everyone has made some great suggestions, so I will try those. :D
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Well, I googled some of the plot points and found an old wives tale about putting butter on a cat's paws to help it adjust after moving house, but no book results.

    ROFL I know what I'm doing tonight after work!

    th?&id=HN.608035380854719180&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

    My cat Maggie used to lick butter if we left it out on the counter. We had to start putting it in the cupboard. Sometimes she would step on it and leave a little paw print (maybe she was trying to tell us she wanted to move?), but mostly just lick marks (yes, after Maggie Simpson. We came up with the name while watching the Simpsons - this was years ago -RIP Maggie, my adorable furry little princess - she also acted like a princess).
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Sue are you sure you didn't just hallucinate the cat book? :lol:
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Maybe it is called imaginary **** in boots
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:
    Sue are you sure you didn't just hallucinate the cat book? :lol:

    I did consider that - but it is a childhood memory, not a teenaged memory. Therefore the hallucination theory is a no.
    Wijsheid wrote:
    Maybe it is called imaginary **** in boots

    Hmmm. Don't think so. I am certain the book is real - my mom remembers reading it to me. But also can't remember the name...
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    suetopia wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    Sue are you sure you didn't just hallucinate the cat book? :lol:

    I did consider that - but it is a childhood memory, not a teenaged memory. Therefore the hallucination theory is a no.

    Haha oh ok then! :lol:
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Anyway sorry i can't help you
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Wijsheid wrote:
    Anyway sorry i can't help you

    :D it's the thought that counts!
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    suetopia wrote:
    Wijsheid wrote:
    Anyway sorry i can't help you

    :D it's the thought that counts!

    The internet can help you find ANYTHING these days... Anything that is, except for that book! :lol:
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:
    suetopia wrote:
    Wijsheid wrote:
    Anyway sorry i can't help you

    :D it's the thought that counts!

    The internet can help you find ANYTHING these days... Anything that is, except for that book! :lol:

    This is sooo true! A year looking and nada!
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    suetopia wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:
    suetopia wrote:
    Wijsheid wrote:
    Anyway sorry i can't help you

    :D it's the thought that counts!

    The internet can help you find ANYTHING these days... Anything that is, except for that book! :lol:

    This is sooo true! A year looking and nada!

    Crazy! Fingers crossed Annette's idea will work!:thumbup:
  • soullessmama
    238 posts
    edited December 2014
    Have you tried going to the library? I was looking for a book from my childhood and all I could remember was a sentence. Took the librarian an hour to find it. They are amazing people.
  • suetopia
    4219 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Have you tried going to the library? I was looking for a book from my childhood and all I could remember was a sentence. Took the librarian an hour to find it. They are amazing people.

    This is a great idea! I will try it! I think it is a really obscure book, but one never knows! Thanks SM!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!