EA Forums - Banner

Ongoing Android Problems: Christmas 2014 Edition

I've tried three KitKat devices. Two on 4.4.4 (Nexus 7 2012 and 2013), one on 4.4.2 (Dell Venue). None have ever had ART. None have been able to complete an in-app update for weeks. All have had all TSTO data wiped. All other apps work. The Sims: FreePlay works. TSTO works on an iPad.

Replies

• edited December 2014
    I keep crashing and have done everything to try to fix it and I'm on android 5.0 with a nexus 4
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I did read that someone was able to finally access TSTO to download on their Nexus 9, which is great. If any other reports come in, I cross that off the problem list. I'm also looking to see if the game works on the Nvidia shield now.
  • miraclemet
    422 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Is the update not being pushed to Androids at the moment? I've been logged in since yesterday and then just did a quit and restart and haven't gotten the update pushed to me... buggy or not.
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    miraclemet wrote:
    Is the update not being pushed to Androids at the moment? I've been logged in since yesterday and then just did a quit and restart and haven't gotten the update pushed to me... buggy or not.
    It is certainly available for at least most of them. What device are you using?
  • maxeerg
    1010 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    A window opened just long enough to update on one device, then slammed shut again. No more updates. The one that did update was able to play the game, the can't connect to server problem was restricted to updates. Today, of course, they pushed another update and none of my Android devices can get it.

If there were some type of award for the buggiest app, I'm quite certain that the Android version of TSTO would own it in perpetuity.
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    maxeerg wrote:
    If there were some type of award for the buggiest app, I'm quite certain that the Android version of TSTO would own it in perpetuity.
    Yeah... I wouldn't doubt it. :?
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Lots of reports about not being able to connect to server, but that is definitely not specific to android.
  • maxeerg
    1010 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't think the iOS complaints on the other thread are the same problem. They seemed to have the updates but couldn't play. Some were able to solve it by changing DNS servers. Mine isn't a DNS problem. iPad connects to the server to update and play. I tried the game on PC with a wired connection. It will update and play.

A brief window opened for updates on my Android tablets again the other day. I managed to get one updated and it will play the game. Another tablet started to update, then then the window closed and cannot connect to server. I did try changing the DNS on one Android tablet just to see. Made no difference.

I've also had a chance to borrow an Android phone. It could download the game from the store, but kept getting Bart instead of updates. For me, it's only on Android. And only wireless.

I suspect that if my Android tablets could use an ethernet adapter, I could get the updates and then remove the wire to play the game. Reverse tethering to allow the tablets to connect via USB to use my PC's ethernet might also work. If I didn't have the iPad, I might try it.
  • davidbroad71
    3 posts
    edited December 2014
    I was one of the Samsung owners with the laggy / slow gameplay on a new 10.5 Galaxy Tab S. The xmas update seems to have greatly improved the situation. It is still a bit slow, but it is now very much playable. I hope it's a sign that the developers permanently fixed it, and not related to the summer to winter texture change-over.
  • Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I was one of the Samsung owners with the laggy / slow gameplay on a new 10.5 Galaxy Tab S. The xmas update seems to have greatly improved the situation. It is still a bit slow, but it is now very much playable. I hope it's a sign that the developers permanently fixed it, and not related to the summer to winter texture change-over.
    Thats great to hear. :-)

I'll mark it as possibly fixed.
  • maxeerg
    1010 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I took one of my Android tablets out to connect to public WiFi. Still wouldn't download updates. 0.0 of xxx. Cannot connect to server.
  • evilphilsie
    33 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Keeps crashing on me constantly since the last update - running Android 4.3 Kernel version 3.4.0 - Sony Xperia T
  • Ecl3t1c
    63 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Well I finally found an Android tablet that runs TSTO without too many problems.

I've been running the game on my new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 for almost a week with very few issues. There is almost no crashing and just a bit of lag when every character is off task.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab S is running Android 4.4.2. A post on the XDA Galaxy Tab S forums mentioned that the Christmas 2014 update made the game playable on this tablet.

Hope this post helps those that are frustrated with this game's performance on many Android devices.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!