EA Forums - Banner

Where is neighbor etiquette, mabey I got wrong neighbors?

Replies

• hipmama197190
    288 posts
    edited December 2014
    There is no one "right" way to be a good neighbor. And even if there were, it would be turned on its head during every event. I figured long ago that I would tap my neighbors like I want to be tapped, and if that isn't someone's style, they can unfriend me.

Right now, sending feds is a good strategy. You never run out, they pay off to your neighbors each time, and once everyone gets rolling we will all be helping each other. Plus it's fast and easy! Can't beat it. Last year's Christmas involved a limited number of gift bags that ended up behind buildings, and you never had enough to give to all of your neighbors. It was more stressful than actual Christmas shopping!
  • Tara1qt
    406 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    One thing to keep in mind if a town has almost no buildings - they may have recently nuked their town.. Life gets busy and they haven't had the time to go through and start rebuilding everything.. I know that has been one of the biggest reasons why I haven't nuked myself.. I just don't want to do it and then get too busy to really put in the time needed to rebuild things.. Also - I have sections of my town I do not want to change and the thought of rebuilding it is very daunting..

So just another thing to keep in mind, maybe they hit nuke and just haven't gotten around to start putting things back together.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    barszap785 wrote:
    aidx1054 wrote:
    barszap785 wrote:
    I tend to tap on things that I don't have in my SF but wish I did. Other than that it's whatever I see first. In my SF I have a handful of buildings throughout that I leave untapped and only clear if there is a handshake on it. My neighbors can tap anything that's available (even my corn), I really don't care. I just try to always have a handful of things to tap.

As for the timers, I still don't understand how they work in conjunction with neighbor visits. Does the timer reset when a neighbor taps it? I know that if I have two identical houses that should be on the same time schedule and one of them has a handshake then they will no longer be in sync, but I have yet to figure out exactly how the timers change.

My understanding of this is the timer restarts when the neighbour taps it so if I tap your 3 hour building and you tap it a half hour later you will see it payout again 2 and a half an hours after you tap it. I think.

OK, but what if it's a 3 hour building and I come back more than 3 hours later? Do I get double payout?

SCENARIO ONE: I have a blue house. I collect from it at 6AM. It is "ready" at 2 PM. But I don't get home from work until 7 PM. I collect at 7PM. So it's not ready until 3AM for next collection.

SCENARIO TWO: I have a blue house. I collect at 6AM. It is "ready" at 2PM. At 2:30PM, a neighbor taps and leaves a handshake. I get home at 7PM and collect. In THIS scenario,, the neighbor's tap at 2:30 reset the timer to 10:30. So I can collect again at 10:30, even though I just collected at 7PM.

A neighbor tap "reset" does not have any impact on when the current timer ends. It only has impact on when the NEXT timer BEGINS.

1aa417bc758f7fa25ecd7e7aece95c981bd118f3a637dfdf83526dc78a878734.jpg
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • barryriddl474
    4830 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Raritan127 wrote:
    I have been playing TSTO for about two months. Trying to figure out how to be a good neighbor/friend. It has been difficult (and I am still winging it). When you try to search on the topic, you find so many concepts that directly contradict each other of what people want from neighbor/friends. As an example I found one post (Can’t find it now to Quote). But it explained exactly how the rebuild time was reduced after a neighbor clicked one of your buildings. But yet, it appears people love to select bldg’s that have very fast rebuild rates?

Someone else stated that a good neighbor tries to leave some things open to be clicked when a neighbor visits. I know some of my neighbors never have anything open that I can select that would benefit them. I still get the friend points, but Kwik-e-mart refreshes so quick it does them no good. Or if I select some of their house farm structures, it screws up their harvesting times. If that’s all they leave I select them. Sorry! Then some visitor’s come into my town and select them as a primary choice, when I am leaving everything open and just collecting on my brown houses . What gives? Oh well.

Especially now people should be leaving choices to be selected by visitors to their town. So they can get gift’s. Maybe their neighbors would do the same? One of my neighbors removed almost all structures from his Springfield, except for the Town hall, Toy Factory, and Simpson house. Yet I’m sure he is collecting gift’s from neighbors. He has a fair amount of gifts and has been playing everyday. I am dropping him, it’s been that way two days.

Don’t just jump in and select the closest and easiest structures. Select what you would want, someone to chose in your Springfield.

I know that now is not a good time with the Christmas update, but someone needs to write a good guide. With Pictures for people who don’t have the building mentioned yet. And post it, and make it a sticky. You would think there would be one in the FAQ and Guides section. But I can’t find it and gave up on searching for one. I feel it is an important part of the game, and greatly under stressed.

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better.

OP, first, welcome to the forum. Regarding neighbor etiquette, may I add my opinion? NOTE: This is strictly my opinion and it may differ from another persons thoughts. I am not telling anyone how to play.

During this event, it's all about the Feds. Period. Get there. Send them. Also, if you want to HELP your neighbor, but you don't have Feds, tap their Elf homes, metal Xmas tree or the regular Xmas tree. This doesn't help you (last I read) but it does reset the timer, thus helping them.
    Regarding why your friends are tapping what you consider the wrong things, they are in a hurry. That's it. I would say that they don't know what to tap, but I think many would still be in a hurry if they knew or not.

Proper Neighbor Etiquette to HELP your neighbor the most:

Ideally, if you want to help your neighbor best, tap properties that have the longest payout times (prison, Pimento Grove, etc. have 24 hr payouts), or their spray cans, as this is the only way these buildings can pay. That's really all you need to know. Get familiar with payout times by either checking buildings in your own town or the Tapped Out wiki.

Also, I would strongly urge you to go to the Finding Friends section, and start your very own thread describing exactly and precisely your wants and needs in a neighbor. Don't worry about being too extreme. There are several here that have your same views on gameplay. When I need a new neighbor, I don't post in a regular add me thread, because I'm not regular. My preference is pride in a town and daily play. There's a bit more, but I tell in the thread exactly what I want. If they don't feel that suits them, there are plenty of others to choose from who don't care one way or another.

Plus, purge and adjust your neighbor list until you are happy. I have taken this approach, and I honestly feel that I could not purchase better friends.

Personally, with my current list, if one or three of my friends don't visit for a bit, I assume that life has done something to them or they're serving time in a maximum security prison, and I'll delete them if/when I see their gunfight on national news.

As you may have noticed, everyone plays differently with regards to neighbors. Search for the neighbors you want rather than whoever said "add me" on Facebook.

Again, just my thoughts. :D

• furrykiltman
    661 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Raritan127 wrote:
    Ok, I never thought about other people clearing the town of choices prior to my arrival.
    I see the consciences is, just let the chips fall where they fall. I can live with that.
    The guy clearing his town, was the last straw after visiting a bunch of towns with nothing for me to do.

That is why I went up to 17 brown house, have 3 Kwik-E-Mart, 3 Krusty Burgers, 3 huts for THOH, & several 2 hour buildings in my SF. The huts & 2 hour items started because of having to store 5 brown houses. If in clearing my SF I'm tapping lots of handshakes, I make sure that to leave things that I normal would tap. On the next land expansion (image it will be some time, unless a genius code writer can solve issues), the 5 brown houses come out of storage. Probably in a Cul-de-Sac style like other houses in my town.

You may want to attempt different times of the day. This is a game played around the world. What was cool about **** was when foreign enemies attacked, the notification was in the language of their game. Would have been fun to have with the Feds.
  • lashinglynx
    19 posts
    edited December 2014
    Personally, with my current list, if one or three of my friends don't visit for a bit, I assume that life has done something to them or they're serving time in a maximum security prison, and I'll delete them if/when I see their gunfight on national news.

I always assume they died a valiant death after losing a duel and performed hari kari after bringing shame to their clan
  • barszap785
    454 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    barszap785 wrote:
    aidx1054 wrote:
    barszap785 wrote:
    I tend to tap on things that I don't have in my SF but wish I did. Other than that it's whatever I see first. In my SF I have a handful of buildings throughout that I leave untapped and only clear if there is a handshake on it. My neighbors can tap anything that's available (even my corn), I really don't care. I just try to always have a handful of things to tap.

As for the timers, I still don't understand how they work in conjunction with neighbor visits. Does the timer reset when a neighbor taps it? I know that if I have two identical houses that should be on the same time schedule and one of them has a handshake then they will no longer be in sync, but I have yet to figure out exactly how the timers change.

My understanding of this is the timer restarts when the neighbour taps it so if I tap your 3 hour building and you tap it a half hour later you will see it payout again 2 and a half an hours after you tap it. I think.

OK, but what if it's a 3 hour building and I come back more than 3 hours later? Do I get double payout?

SCENARIO ONE: I have a blue house. I collect from it at 6AM. It is "ready" at 2 PM. But I don't get home from work until 7 PM. I collect at 7PM. So it's not ready until 3AM for next collection.

SCENARIO TWO: I have a blue house. I collect at 6AM. It is "ready" at 2PM. At 2:30PM, a neighbor taps and leaves a handshake. I get home at 7PM and collect. In THIS scenario,, the neighbor's tap at 2:30 reset the timer to 10:30. So I can collect again at 10:30, even though I just collected at 7PM.

A neighbor tap "reset" does not have any impact on when the current timer ends. It only has impact on when the NEXT timer BEGINS.

1aa417bc758f7fa25ecd7e7aece95c981bd118f3a637dfdf83526dc78a878734.jpg

Okay, but here is what I meant by double payout...I think double payout was the wrong way to say it.

SCENARIO ONE: I have a purple house that pays every 3 hours. I collect at 6AM. It's ready at 9AM. At 9:30AM a neighbor taps it resetting the timer. Now I come back at 12:29PM and collect by tapping the handshake. Will the purple house be ready one minute later for me to collect again? Sort of a double payout.

SCENARIO TWO: I have a purple house that pays every 3 hours. I collect at 6AM. It's ready at 9AM. At 9:30AM a neighbor taps it resetting the timer. Now I come back at 12:31PM and collect by tapping the handshake. Did I lose a full payout by being two minutes later?
  • unfeasible
    28 posts
    edited December 2014
    I too, don't really care what my neighbors tap. It's taken me a long time to figure the exact mechanics of how neighbors work. Plus, I've recently acquired a buncha new people, so it's dramatically changed they way I play in regards to friends. (I didn't realize they could only tap what I had left untapped. Sorry, guys!)

But regardless, I don't care what's tapped, or what I tap. Even now, going through 50+ people takes nearly 45 minutes. Tap what you like and get back to the game!
  • furrykiltman
    661 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    barszap785 wrote:
    I tend to tap on things that I don't have in my SF but wish I did. Other than that it's whatever I see first.

That's what I did as I as I went up the levels, and occasionally do when I have time to scan what others SF have in their designs with buildings like Mapple, Florist, Ice cream palor, other items offered before March 2014.
  • furrykiltman
    661 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    barszap785 wrote:
    Okay, but here is what I meant by double payout...I think double payout was the wrong way to say it.

SCENARIO ONE: I have a purple house that pays every 3 hours. I collect at 6AM. It's ready at 9AM. At 9:30AM a neighbor taps it resetting the timer. Now I come back at 12:29PM and collect by tapping the handshake. Will the purple house be ready one minute later for me to collect again? Sort of a double payout.

SCENARIO TWO: I have a purple house that pays every 3 hours. I collect at 6AM. It's ready at 9AM. At 9:30AM a neighbor taps it resetting the timer. Now I come back at 12:31PM and collect by tapping the handshake. Did I lose a full payout by being two minutes later?

Not sure about 2, I have experienced 1.
  • cdepast
    2462 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    i think this probably matters more for newer players that are trying to get more money, but after a while, it all evens out. Im grateful to anyone that visits - you can tap brown house, spray graffiti, whatever. I have been leaving my houses uncollected during the event, so that neighbors always have something to tap.
  • barryriddl474
    4830 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    To remind my neighbors the formula I prefer when visiting my town:

Take the date, subtract the amount of letters for the day of the week (for example, Monday has 6 letters, so today is the 8th day of the 12th month of 2014), then divide by my personal favorite number (21), then add the amount of Simpsons episodes to date (but don't count any holiday specials or episodes that were written by anyone who has more than 2 syllables in their middle name).
    Now, take that number and google the number with the letters "****" (Why, That's Fantastic! for those who don't know what that means) and view the 9th image. What building does that image remind you of? Kwik E Mart? Then tap the Kwik E Mart.
    Easy peasy.
  • Pinpal00
    995 posts Member
    edited December 2014

Take the date, subtract the amount of letters for the day of the week (for example, Monday has 6 letters, so today is the 8th day of the 12th month of 2014), then divide by my personal favorite number (21), then add the amount of Simpsons episodes to date (but don't count any holiday specials or episodes that were written by anyone who has more than 2 syllables in their middle name).
    Now, take that number and google the number with the letters "****" (Why, That's Fantastic! for those who don't know what that means) and view the 9th image. What building does that image remind you of? Kwik E Mart? Then tap the Kwik E Mart.
    Easy peasy.

This seems to me a sound formula. However, I'm not sure why 21 would be your personal favorite when 32 is clearly the more attractive and intelligent number.
    As you may have noticed, everyone plays differently with regards to neighbors. Search for the neighbors you want rather than whoever said "add me" on Facebook.

That sums it up. One thing I learned long ago is to craft a (short) list of neighbors I want to visit.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • emikab
    50 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    For daily, non-event tapping I like to tap on things i don't have. Don't really have a logic to it. If I'm stuck for time, I just tap whatever's closest to the landing point. If I do have time, I either tap one of each type (menu, register, dollar sign); or I try one from each area (Squidport, Springfield, Krustyland).

For events, such as the current event, I gather presents until i can't get any more (A-Z) then I release Feds. The following day I do it in reverse (Z-A). That way it all evens out - handshakes and present-generating Feds.

For my town, personally, I don't care what folks tap on. I'm just glad to get visits.
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited December 2014

Easy peasy.

:lol:
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited December 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:

Easy peasy.

This seems to me a sound formula. However, I'm not sure why 21 would be your personal favorite when 32 is clearly the more attractive and intelligent number.

no, 42. 42 is the obvious number.
  • OrdinarilyBob
    305 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Here is my Neighbor Etiquette:

1) When I visit friends, I tap on the first three things I can. This may include vandalizing their town.

2) I typically visit daily when there's new FP items or an event, otherwise it varies but is still usually daily, never less than 3-4x per week.

3) I tap everything in my town as soon as I see it. I don't ever leave buildings for neighbors. I have a big/full Springfield with many buildings, including two tasteful house farms, so I expect there to be plenty of things to tap in my town, and my friends are welcome to tap any of it, including using graffiti.

4) As for my Neighborino Retention policy:
    - "Basic" friends are people who's names I got from various websites, I don't know them, and no offense to any of them, but they're not worth a penny a dozen. If I visit one of these basic friends 2-3 times in a row with nothing to tap on, I drop them. It's easy to get more whenever I want.

- I have my "Favorite Friends" which include real life friends/family that play, forumites I've met here, people who visit me regularly or otherwise have good habits, and/or neighbors with aesthetically pleasing towns - These people are given more leeway, and I rarely drop them.

- I'd miss a Favorite if they dropped me, but I probably wouldn't even notice if a Basic did that. Either way, I don't truly care, as they can be quickly and easily replaced, and I welcome any of my Neighbors to do as they see fit based on their perception of visits to my town and my behavior in theirs. If they're not satisfied, delete me. >shrug<

All the above being said, I do wish there was some way to communicate with my Neighborinos (chat, mail, whatever). I have some friends I'd like to tag and give kudos to their town design, or if someone was going on vacation, and notified me, I'd keep them around, vice versa, etc. Actually, a few days prior to Thanksgiving, one of my friends cleared an area of their town and used shrubs to spell out "Be Back 11/28" which I thought was especially considerate. I kept them despite nothing to tap for a while and I now think of them as one of my Favorites. I wish I could tell them how cool that was. :)

• annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    barszap785 wrote:

Wow. Where were YOU when I needed a math tutor?

Here's my 100% made up theory on Scenario Two. Yes, you lose the second payout.
    Let's adjust the facts a bit in your Scenario Two. Early thanksgiving morning, I did rounds to my son's town, and tapped three blue houses. Nobody entered his town to collect until i did so on Saturday morning. When I entered Saturday morning and cleared those handshakes, the three houses did not spring back to life to be collected again.. The only difference between your example and mine is that instead of one minute late, i was about a day and a half late ... An absurdly longer time than yours, but the mechanics are the same. :)

Does that sound reasonable?
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • XBL-Heretic
    1228 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Raritan127 wrote:
    I agree with you, You should be able to run/play your Springfield as you wish. I do! I'm just saying, (depends on how far along in the game you are?) If you have a fair amount of structures, what's wrong with always leaving six of so that are left when you clear the town? Visitors speed up your build times for structures they select, So you get the $ and XP faster for the ones they select, and you both get the FP. If there are no open choices, they most likely won't come back that day. It should be a win win situation .

Would it give you any comfort to know that my very first post to this forum was about neighbor etiquette, and specifically about what to tap in neighbors' towns. And after all this time, I still don't know. Too many varying opinions. So when I visit, I just do what I would like people to do in my town. Tap anything.

And it is certainly nice to leave things to tap unless you're desperate for every dollar.

What makes a good neighboreeno? There are a lot of opinions, and ultimately it's based at least somewhat on how you play your game. There are just three things in my opinion:

1) Always try to have items available to tap or graffiti in your town. How often you need to clear handshakes, and the number of items you need to leave uncollected, are based on how many neighboreenos you have and how often they visit.

2) Visit all of your neighboreenos, especially during events and updates. How often you visit is based on where you're at in the game (how much in-game cash you need) and how much time you have, but nothing's worse than having neighboreenos who don't visit (especially during events). Personally, I try to visit 2-4 times per week between events, and at least five times per week during events

3) Never take it personally if a neighboreeno drops you. It's taken me two years but I have a pretty solid list of great neighboreenos. I have pretty low expectations for visits between events, but I can pretty much count on all my neighbors to visit during events.
  • izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    TL;DR: Tap the first 3 things you see, and don't worry about deleting inactive neighbours.

I think most people just click the first 3 things they see, and are perfectly happy if others do the same.

Sometimes this changes with events, for example, if you've unlocked Feds, it's better to drop those instead.

Honestly, I'm just happy to have 100 neighbours I can visit. I don't officially keep track of who visits back, but I will remember the names I see more often. If a neighbour I don't often see visiting me decides to empty out their town or doesn't visit for more than 4 days, I delete them. I decided on 4 days because...I don't know, it's more than a weekend but less than a week. If you can't find the time to visit in 4 days, clearly you've got other stuff going on or you just don't care about the game anymore. If it's a player I've often seen visiting my town, I'll give them more time because I figure they probably just have stuff going on. Usually after over week of inactivity I'll delete them too though. It's just a game, I don't think anyone's feelings will be hurt if you delete them because they're not playing. It's a pain finding new friends though, but usually I have about 98 at a time, plus 2 through Facebook, so I still reach my Social Butterfly limit.

I actually had one neighbour who was crazy active during the Halloween event; they were at the top of my Gremalien list, WAY above everyone else, and s/he was always dropping Gremaliens in my town. Then right after the event they were totally inactive. For a little while they still had enough stuff that I could still get my 3 visits in a day, but then everything had been tapped. I kept waiting and waiting for them to come back, because I figured they were just taking a break. And I actually kept them on my list until a couple of days after the Christmas event, because I thought maybe they'd get really into that too, but after they didn't come back for that either, I finally deleted them after a month of inactivity.

Obviously if it's someone I know in real life, I will never delete them no matter how inactive they are. I'd ask them if they're still playing though after a while, but that's never come up yet with my real-life friends. My bff took a week long break after Halloween, but she's back now. Which reminds me I need to ask her when she wants to see Hunger Games. But I digress...
    Joined: May 2014 • Level: 563 • Favourite Characters: Lisa & Ralph
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.