EA Forums - Banner

Where is neighbor etiquette, mabey I got wrong neighbors?

Replies

• Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I would suggest, although it may take some time, that you fine tune your neighbors to the way you prefer. Max out your neighbor list at 100. Then slowly delete the ones, that don't play the way you want, then repeat. I have had most of my neighbors since I started the game, so most of them play the same as I do which I prefer. I rarely take on new neighbors because they usually have higher expectations from other players. But I have taken on a few new people lately, because at least 10 2 year + players have stopped playing since Sept. So I'm playing more lately, because of my newer neighbors. But I have a very laid back style of play, if it feels like work, then it's not fun to me. And I also prefer well designed towns, so now I'm a little more picky than I use to be.

Also try other places, they can also be a great source for finding good neighbors.
  • kyaray
    875 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    My philosophy on building tapping.

tumblr_inline_n04vokIHcL1qbygev.gif:)
  • izabellatrix
    1612 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    kyaray wrote:
    My philosophy on building tapping.

tumblr_inline_n04vokIHcL1qbygev.gif:)

Excellent. :)
    Joined: May 2014 • Level: 563 • Favourite Characters: Lisa & Ralph
  • sojournfan
    584 posts
    edited December 2014
    Here's what I do:

1) I have plenty of in game cash, so I don't collect from my buildings often. I try to leave them up-tapped for my neighbors.
    2) I try to visit all my neighbors everyday.
    3) I have 100 neighbors, I tap the first three things I see and move on to the next. I don't mind if my neighbors do the same in my town.
    4) I don't mind if a neighbor doesn't visit me everyday but I get upset if I click on their town day after day and have nothing to tap. After about a week, I'll check to see how long it has been since they last played the game. If it's been over a week, I delete them and find someone new.
  • Pinpal00
    995 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    To remind my neighbors the formula I prefer when visiting my town:

Take the date, subtract the amount of letters for the day of the week (for example, Monday has 6 letters, so today is the 8th day of the 12th month of 2014), then divide by my personal favorite number (21), then add the amount of Simpsons episodes to date (but don't count any holiday specials or episodes that were written by anyone who has more than 2 syllables in their middle name).
    Now, take that number and google the number with the letters "****" (Why, That's Fantastic! for those who don't know what that means) and view the 9th image. What building does that image remind you of? Kwik E Mart? Then tap the Kwik E Mart.
    Easy peasy.

This seems to me a sound formula. However, I'm not sure why 21 would be your personal favorite when 32 is clearly the more attractive and intelligent number.

no, 42. 42 is the obvious number.

True, but only if the question is "how many roads must a man walk down?" Don't get me wrong: the number has many good qualities, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give 42 an 8--just behind 41 which is obviously a 9.

One way or anther, I think we can agree that 32 is easier to dance to.
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited December 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Pinpal00 wrote:

Take the date, subtract the amount of letters for the day of the week (for example, Monday has 6 letters, so today is the 8th day of the 12th month of 2014), then divide by my personal favorite number (21), then add the amount of Simpsons episodes to date (but don't count any holiday specials or episodes that were written by anyone who has more than 2 syllables in their middle name).
    Now, take that number and google the number with the letters "****" (Why, That's Fantastic! for those who don't know what that means) and view the 9th image. What building does that image remind you of? Kwik E Mart? Then tap the Kwik E Mart.
    Easy peasy.

This seems to me a sound formula. However, I'm not sure why 21 would be your personal favorite when 32 is clearly the more attractive and intelligent number.

True, but only if the question is "how many roads must a man walk down?" Don't get me wrong: the number has many good qualities, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give 42 an 8--just behind 41 which is obviously a 9.

I think you missed the reference :wink:
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited December 2014
    Here is my Neighbor Etiquette:

1) When I visit friends, I tap on the first three things I can. This may include vandalizing their town.

2) I typically visit daily when there's new FP items or an event, otherwise it varies but is still usually daily, never less than 3-4x per week.

3) I tap everything in my town as soon as I see it. I don't ever leave buildings for neighbors. I have a big/full Springfield with many buildings, including two tasteful house farms, so I expect there to be plenty of things to tap in my town, and my friends are welcome to tap any of it, including using graffiti.

4) As for my Neighborino Retention policy:
    - "Basic" friends are people who's names I got from various websites, I don't know them, and no offense to any of them, but they're not worth a penny a dozen. If I visit one of these basic friends 2-3 times in a row with nothing to tap on, I drop them. It's easy to get more whenever I want.

- I have my "Favorite Friends" which include real life friends/family that play, forumites I've met here, people who visit me regularly or otherwise have good habits, and/or neighbors with aesthetically pleasing towns - These people are given more leeway, and I rarely drop them.

- I'd miss a Favorite if they dropped me, but I probably wouldn't even notice if a Basic did that. Either way, I don't truly care, as they can be quickly and easily replaced, and I welcome any of my Neighbors to do as they see fit based on their perception of visits to my town and my behavior in theirs. If they're not satisfied, delete me. >shrug<

All the above being said, I do wish there was some way to communicate with my Neighborinos (chat, mail, whatever). I have some friends I'd like to tag and give kudos to their town design, or if someone was going on vacation, and notified me, I'd keep them around, vice versa, etc. Actually, a few days prior to Thanksgiving, one of my friends cleared an area of their town and used shrubs to spell out "Be Back 11/28" which I thought was especially considerate. I kept them despite nothing to tap for a while and I now think of them as one of my Favorites. I wish I could tell them how cool that was. :)
    This. Is exactly my policy :D
  • Pinpal00
    995 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Pinpal00 wrote:

Easy peasy.

Douglas Adams. I was referencing it as well.

Edit: though obviously a little too obscurely!
  • 4kidsandacatdog
    3090 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I'll be honest, I have a preference for "no graffiti" neighbors. I accept neighbors from a thread elsewhere that is specifically for non-taggers.

That being said, because this is my preference, I set up my town to convenience said visitors. I place appropriate buildings near the landing zone to make it easier for my neighbors to tap and move on, and I leave them uncollected. I also visit frequently to clear them.

Any buildings I want left untapped I move far enough away from the landing zone that they are usually ignored. I tend to collect from the perimeters of my town without waiting for neighbors to tap them.

I do have several neighbors from this forum who aren't aware that I prefer not to be tagged but because I set my town up this way it seldom happens anyway.

I don't tag my neighbors, but other than that I think anything in their town is fair game. I don't know about other preferences. It would get too confusing if everyone on my friends' list had a different preference, I could never keep up. Plus when do you reach the point that everything is off limits?
  • panopticnic
    1820 posts
    edited December 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Pinpal00 wrote:

Easy peasy.

Hahahahahaha, totally missed that one! :oops:
  • jackmack010
    365 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I don't even pay attention to neighbors except during events or for FP.

+1 8)
  • Raven_Darkstorm
    418 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not elsewhere on the forum, but there wouldn't need to be any "neighbor etiquette" if it didn't matter if we cleared all the building or not. For example during the stonecutters event it didn't matter if you cleared every building because doing that and your friends taps were mutually exclusive systems. You simply got emblems for their taps on your buildings without having to tap anything. I think this is the way friend taps on building should work when it is just friend points too. That way you can clear everything and not need to be concerned if your friends have anything to tap and you simply just get the friends points added by their taps.

Also when visiting your friends you could see where his/her other friends tapped because there was the eye pyramid image over buildings that had been tapped already. I have no idea when buildings reset. Like if it was a once every 24 hours or if it was every time you check in to the game. But I never ran into a situation where I had nothing to tap on. And all my friends always had stuff to tap on.
  • emaren
    73 posts
    edited December 2014
    During non-event visits, I tap the first three things I see.

During events, I do what ever is best for my neighbour, at the moment it is all about the feds. Previously it has been all about dropping various things as well as building taps. I have often tried to help the lower level towns with these additional items, rather than the ones that are obviously doing well.

After reading a rant about how vandalising buildings lowered the multiplier by 0.00000001% (or whatever), I took to deliberately hunting down buildings to vandalise, just because.....

I have two towns, one with 100 neighbours and one with 75, I clear out inactive players on a regular basis, my cut-off is a week of inactivity.

• lollytroll
    83 posts
    edited December 2014
    During none events I don't care if my neighbours play or not. I try to visit them at least 3 times a weeks and clear handshakes but don't bother with collecting any other cash from buildings.
    During events after a week I remove friends who have not started the event but don't keep track of who visits me. I have good neighbours and normal clear events no problem.
    During this event I am dropping 3 Feds in each of my friends town every day, unless they are full then I go for the nearest 3 buildings.
  • juliet603
    17879 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    You've already had lots of good advice but I may as well throw my 2 cents in.

I tap wherever I can in neighbours towns, i don't look for certain buildings. if they have nothing to tap for a couple of days running I check when they last logged in, if it's a week or more I delete and replace them (unless it's a forum friend or I know the person is away or busy). Luckily I have great neighbours these days so it's rare I have to do that! :wink:

As for my town, I just make sure I leave enough for my neighbours to tap and I don't care what they choose.
  • 4kidsandacatdog
    3090 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I can't remember if I mentioned this before or not elsewhere on the forum, but there wouldn't need to be any "neighbor etiquette" if it didn't matter if we cleared all the building or not. For example during the stonecutters event it didn't matter if you cleared every building because doing that and your friends taps were mutually exclusive systems. You simply got emblems for their taps on your buildings without having to tap anything. I think this is the way friend taps on building should work when it is just friend points too. That way you can clear everything and not need to be concerned if your friends have anything to tap and you simply just get the friends points added by their taps.

Also when visiting your friends you could see where his/her other friends tapped because there was the eye pyramid image over buildings that had been tapped already. I have no idea when buildings reset. Like if it was a once every 24 hours or if it was every time you check in to the game. But I never ran into a situation where I had nothing to tap on. And all my friends always had stuff to tap on.

I have had this thought as well. Didn't it work this way in the **** event also?
  • frogger53
    686 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I've had 90% of my neighbors for 2+ years. We have an understanding :mrgreen:

I agree....I have some neighbors that are forum regulars, whom I will not drop. Others I have had for a long time..Its going on 3 years. I don't drop people unless they have quit playing or are playing VERY infrequently. There has to be a certain amount of dedication to this game.....or I say, don't bother.
  • EvaMohlin
    541 posts Member
    edited December 2014

Not if you REALLY know your Douglas Adams. I thought it was brilliant! :D
  • Annathewicked
    4721 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Pinpal00 wrote:
    Pinpal00 wrote:

Easy peasy.

Hahahahahaha, totally missed that one! :oops:

This made me laugh so much! Thanks

On the subject- i tap what I can find in my friends towns- if they don't like it, they can delete me. Most of my friends, if they have a preference tend to arrange their landing zone to fit their needs..... I don't care what people tap in my town. As long as their coming and tapping or dropping stuff, we're golden.
    As far as leaving buildings open to be tapped- it is MY game I'm playing, and it does need cash....... That being said, I collect 2 times a day- when I get up, before I go to bed- yes, if you come through directly after I have done it, there will be nothing- but I don't seem to have an issue with people seeking to find stuff in between those two times, so I'm not worried. And again, they may drop me, if they see fit.
    PM me- I DO need Good Neighboreenos currently
  • Raritan127
    8 posts
    edited December 2014
    This has been a very informative discussion.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.