EA Forums - Banner

Help needed with Christmas Presents!

Prev1
I've just bought everyone books or dvds which you said you didn't want to do! I was on a tight budget this year, and it's easy to find a book or dvd you know someone will like. Sorry I can't be of more help Barry!

Replies

• brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm a similar age to your older brother and you said he is interested in books so I think a book might be a good present. I've asked people for some books so I can read them while on break. Right now I'm in a Stephen King mood.
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    You should do what I did Barry, go on Amazon and search anything you know they're interested in and see what similar items it brings up. Like my dad loves the TV show Blackadder and reads a lot, so I searched Blackadder and voila! I found a book about it that I know he'd enjoy!

I did similar things for my mum and brother.
  • henpot7514
    6011 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    What I've done a few times is buy stuff on groupon. For instance, a massage for your mum or a meal for both parents or something like that. Then you print it out and stick it in a card.

Would your grandmother like a house plant/flower of some sort? They can last a lifetime and are pretty.

• Nilmade
    1028 posts
    edited December 2014
    Did you smaller brother write a letter to Santa? I'm sure there is a toy there that you can buy with your budget.
    Regarding the others you have to think what they like. Maybe a nice scarf or wrap for you mother or grandmother, or a piece of costume jewelry. I also like Brevis' idea, a set with bath bombs and soaps is always a useful present and moms love useful presents.
    Men are more complicated, but Brandon is right, if your brother loves reading, why don't you buy a book?
  • mpwarner
    2971 posts
    edited December 2014
    Brevis45 wrote:
    So far, I've bought a brand total of 0 presents for my family, and I've got 3 days to do so (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday). I need to buy for my:
      [li] 7 year old brother[/li] [li]20 year old brother[/li] [li]40-something year old mother[/li] [li] 40-something year old father[/li] [li] grandmother (whose age is unbeknownst to me) [/li]
    (and my dog, for completion, but he'll be easy to buy for)

7 year old Brother. You can't go wrong with Lego or Meccano something he can learn to build is always good or some toy cars.

20 year old Brother CD's, DVD's or a gift card for apps / iTunes or what ever.

Your mother will always appreciate things like scented candles / bath bombs etc

Father. Socket set or tools if he is that way inclined depending on his hobbies if he has any. Some thing for his car like a winter emergency kit.

Grand mother usually things like hankies, Scarf , gloves slippers woolie socks things that help keep them warm in the winter.

For your dog. Go to the butchers and ask for a marrow bone. Feed it raw it will do his teeth good and keep him happy while you all eat your dinner in peace. :thumbup:

Imo these are great suggestions. :thumbup:
    (Assuming you are a fellow uk habitant) any supermarket will have most of those if you are running out of time.

• barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks guys!
    Juliet & Brandon, I might do a mix of the book/gift card idea and get my older brother a Waterstones or Easons (bookshops in the UK, for those who don't know), since I'm awful at choosing that sort of thing.
    Brevis, that's brilliant! The smaller brother loves building, and I've seen some really cheap 3-in-1 things that'll keep him amused. My father also rallies, so I might look to see if I can get anything cheap related to that. My grandmother also always complains about being cold, so that wouldn't be a bad idea. I'll definitely get a few bones :D The butcher in my nearest town gives them free, but somehow I think he'll still be looking in through the window at the turkey :lol:
    Sounds great Henpot, that'll work for both Mum and Dad and would be something they could do together. However, as my grandmothers house is coming down with artificial plants and the smell is overpowering, it'd probably blend into the background. :lol:
    Edit:
    I think my Mum's got his letter to Santa sorted, Nilmade, but I just didn't want to buy a book since I've done that a few years now, and I wouldn't mind something a bit more practical and personal.
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Bought GF an iPhone because hers is not really.. Allright.

Rest of the lot gets dvd boxes or books and my mother gets beauty care gift sets.they don't want anything else.

Coupons are the easy wY of you don't know what to get
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    @ Barry has your older brother got anything for your granmother yet? You could always go halfs on a dvd player together (you can get one for about £20) then you have ideas for what to get her in the future... Dvds! :lol: as I know buying VHS tapes is near impossible these days!
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:
    @ Barry has your older brother got anything for your granmother yet? You could always go halfs on a dvd player together (you can get one for about £20) then you have ideas for what to get her in the future... Dvds! :lol: as I know buying VHS tapes is near impossible these days!
    Haha true! Getting VHS tapes is a handling, and I'm not even sure she knows how to work the recorder! That's a great idea going halfers on a DVD player, will need to write step-by-step instructions on how to work the thing though. Every time we're up I have to tell her how to turn on the TV :lol:
  • cdepast
    2463 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    7yr - photos
    20yr - itunes / google card
    mom, dad, grandma - photos
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    You do realise you're going to have to tell us all exactly what you buy everyone now Barry! :lol:
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    And pictures!
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Will do if I remember :D
  • annettemarc
    7731 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:
    Haha true! Getting VHS tapes is a handling, and I'm not even sure she knows how to work the recorder! That's a great idea going halfers on a DVD player, will need to write step-by-step instructions on how to work the thing though. Every time we're up I have to tell her how to turn on the TV :lol:

You could also go halfers for your parents. Another thought ... My brothers once gave our parents a card with a "voucher" inside to clean up their garage. It took them a full day to accomplish, but it cost them nothing but time. Plus my parents talked about it for years after. If not a garage, perhaps a cellar or attic?
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:

You could also go halfers for your parents. Another thought ... My brothers once gave our parents a card with a "voucher" inside to clean up their garage. It took them a full day to accomplish, but it cost them nothing but time. Plus my parents talked about it for years after. If not a garage, perhaps a cellar or attic?
    Good idea, Annette! Fortunately our attic is quite tidy, we don't have a cellar, and our father wouldn't let us near his garage! Although, since we live in the middle of nowhere in the countryside and down a lane covered in potholes the half the size of gym balls and it gets REALLY wet where we lives all year round, the car gets thick coats of mud & muck, so I could give them a car wash x amount of times, whenever they ask.
    Thanks a lot, everyone! I think we're going shopping tomorrow, so I'll report back and tell if I've gotten anything.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    cdepast wrote:
    7yr - photos
    20yr - itunes / google card
    mom, dad, grandma - photos

They don't sell those here ( yet ). No idea why. Pretty much every country around us has them . There is a high demand for them and Google card are nowhere to be seen. We've had itunes cards for years.
  • wilki1999
    3974 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I may be of some assistance to you, although I'm not sure how much.

You could get your younger brother a Lego kit. From what I've seen here, it seems a popular choice, and you can pick them up quite cheaply.

Your older brother could probably benefit from a water stones or wh smiths gift card, that way he can get something he wants in terms of books.

For your mum, have you thought about jewellery? I usually do that for my mum, even though she has quite a lot (if I dont, my sister does lol)

For your dad, maybe a tool set? Men always find those useful, just check to make sure he hasn't got something similar to what you plan on buying.

I think a DVD player is a very good idea for your gran. Doesn't have to be expensive, just show her how to use it, and maybe get her a good dvd to go with it.

• Bravewall
    4253 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Might I suggest a dash cam for any drivers in frequent traffic? It will be good if they ever need proof of an accident or an automotive altercation. Something to show you care. You can get a decent one around $50 plus a micro SD card to record on (32GB max)
  • barrymcerlea
    2096 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the help everyone!
    Me being me, I forgot and I wrapped the presents before taking pictures. :roll:
    Anyway, I couldn't find much Lego for my brother so the best thing I could do was buy two of the small mini figures and then got him a chocolate Snowman also.
    I combined my brothers two favourite interests (Irish history and crime) and got him a book, like many suggested. (The Convictions of John Delahunt)
    For Mother, I couldn't find much so decided to get a few small things, a box of Thorntons special toffee which she adores, a plum candle holder which should match the living room, a set of vanilla tea lights for the holder, and two Yankee Candle Cinnamon sachets. The latter two she tried to buy for herself, after I already bought them, and I had to try to talk her out of it without giving it away :lol:
    Luckily (lucky for me anyway), my Father's phone case fell apart a few days ago so that was the obvious thing to buy. As he's a plasterer I got a well protected one which should be good.
    For my Grandmother, we decided against the DVD player because we thought she wouldn't know how to work it. Instead myself and my two brothers all pitched in and bought a cardigan and a scarf whoch together cost about £30 so it was an even tenner each.
    For my dog I think I spent the largest amount of money :lol: I'm a sucker for dog toys. I bought a space hopper toy, a stocking full of dog treats which is hanging proudly on our mantle... and a marrow bone like Brevis suggested.
    Thanks again, couldn't have done it without your ideas :D
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Sounds like you got some really great stuff for everyone Barry! :D I love how you spent most money on your dog! :lol: Try and get a pic of him (or her) enjoying his presents tomorrow to show us! :P

And that was lucky about your dad's phone case haha!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!