EA Forums - Banner

Winter Event pt 2 SPOILER FREE ZONE

:thumbup: Good idea!

Replies

• L_B_123XD
    1709 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    That's a good idea, the only thing is, people who don't like spoilers will see them in the threads made in general discussion anyway when people put it in th thread title.
    Personally spoilers don't bother me in anyway, there's no overarching story to this that it would ruin by finding things out but there are some people that do care- and whilst I do like this idea and know its been done in good faith. I don't personally think it will work in the premise of stopping spoilers being seen
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    L_B_123XD wrote:
    That's a good idea, the only thing is, people who don't like spoilers will see them in the threads made in general discussion anyway when people put it in th thread title.
    That's why this is stickied at the top.

It may work, it may not, but I still think it's simpler than expecting every thread in the forum to have a spoiler tag.
  • gm0471
    193 posts
    edited December 2014
    when is level 49 coming out lol
  • suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Great idea, Neuro!
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Bump since phase two has officially started, and spoilers are starting to appear from those who rushed the first tasks.
  • Igcognita
    1500 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    How about we stick to the system that has been in play for years now. If you going to give out information about prizes that might be ahead of everyone else, add spoiler to the title, or if another member says you should have added spoiler to the title, out of respect for the community as a whole, add spoiler to the title. It's just as easy as that. Not every little thing as to be blown up and made an issue. This thread makes no sense to me. People use to respect each other, and now lately it seems, they don't anymore, and then someone comes along a starts a thread to further widen the divide. This is really outlandish to me. It like throwing out everything that has been established for the good of the forum, because some can't get along with others.
    This Segregation junk that is too prevalent on this forum has got to stop. Show respect for everyone and not just the ones that you like. If you need to give yourselves a title to feel like your better than everyone else, or more special, so be it. But stop forcing the rest of us to deal with it and treat everyone with respect.
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Igcognita wrote:
    How about we stick to the system that has been in play for years now.
    I'm trying something else, because the system of expecting everything to be spoiler tagged does not work. Excited posters might forget, or not think about it, or presume that everyone is at a certain point in the story. The number of complaints about spoilers tells me that something else needs to be done.
    It's far easier to monitor one thread for spoilers than all of them. I'm not willing to monitor all of them for discussion that is (and is expected to be) detailed, but I'm happy to monitor one. Trying to do that isn't "segregation," it's being considerate without the unreasonable expectation that everyone in the world will censor themselves on a discussion board, just on the off chance that someone isn't as far in the quest as them. Sorry if you don't appreciate that.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    The issu that THIS thread solves is that it is not humanly possible to UNsee something. It doesn't create a divide. It offers an important option for a portion of our forum that wants to play a different way than another portion.

I see this as a safe haven for someone who wants to be sure to enjoy the progression of the game, but not know what the future will bring. More like presents under a Christmas tree, unwrapped one at a time and savored. When I ENTER this thread, I know from the thread title to be especially diligent.

The rest of the forum is like intersections with no stop signs in any direction, where everyone is expected to know to slow down and look for cross-traffic. Most remember, most of the time. But some forget. The moderators work as quickly as possible, but by the time the reminder goes out, its too late. Spoilers are revealed. Can't be unseen.

This thread has a stop sign. :)

The majority of the forum members fall somewhere in between. For someone looking for every bit of spoiler they can find, we can scrounge through every thread on multiple forums. And just as I can read dozens of OTHER threads, I am welcome to read this one.

There's a difference between supporting diversity and fostering divisiveness.

@lgcognita ... I DID totally agree with your (eloquent) post at the beginning of the event, in a thread in a different section of the forum. Not sure why I feel so different this time, except this one doesn't seem to create the chasm the other one did.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Duplicate post.

• suetopia
    4229 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Igcognita wrote:
    How about we stick to the system that has been in play for years now.
    I'm trying something else, because the system of expecting everything to be spoiler tagged does not work. Excited posters might forget, or not think about it, or presume that everyone is at a certain point in the story. The number of complaints about spoilers tells me that something else needs to be done.
    It's far easier to monitor one thread for spoilers than all of them. I'm not willing to monitor all of them for discussion that is (and is expected to be) detailed, but I'm happy to monitor one. Trying to do that isn't "segregation," it's being considerate without the unreasonable expectation that everyone in the world will censor themselves on a discussion board, just on the off chance that someone isn't as far in the quest as them. Sorry if you don't appreciate that.

I think it's important to add here that not all forum members are aware of the way we've been doing things - new members and relatively new members simply just don't realize that they may be posting a spoiler, or that some people don't want to see spoilers. I don't mind spoilers, but I think that this is a nice alternative for those who want to keep their game play spoiler free.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    BUMP because it doesn't seem like it's working! :roll:
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited December 2014

Well, the thread has had over 2,800 views ... So, I think the thread could help a lot of people ... Looking for info ... I'll have a look tomorrow afternoon.. Its going on 11PM here and we're at our daughter's in San Diego, and leaving for home north of. Los Angeles early in the AM. Should be all settled in and have a chance to see what's going at noon or so.
  • 22steelpaw
    238 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Well, the thread has had over 2,800 views ...
    But very few posts. And all of those posts have been about the thread, not actually about the game.
    I'm finding it very difficult to think of topics that would fit within a strict spoiler free thread.
    Even discussion of past events could be construed as a spoiler if it mentioned an item or character specific to that event, since these do tend to come around again...
    The poll asking what type of ground cover people would like to see would fit in this thread, as would other polls asking about preferences for the future of the game. Polls about favourite past events/characters/buildings etc could be considered spoilers under a strict definition.
    Some of the questions from new players would probably fit into a spoiler free thread, such as questions about friend points or crops at Cletus' farm.
    But even then, there's the problem that these topics are inadvertently spoiler free, rather than spoiler free through a deliberate choice of the original poster. If OP is not specifically thinking of their question or poll or whatever as being a spoiler free topic, then they probably won't think to post it in a special spoiler free thread.
    Which brings me back to my original concern: What are we going to talk about here?

• neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Maybe fewer people are interested in vague and/or white-text discussion than I thought. Or maybe they're all busy with the holidays. Either way, it's here for them if they want it.
  • aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I am going to presume that my question isn't considered a spoiler but if it is I will remove it.
    Does anyone now the Max elves that my town can hold and what the respawn rate is?
    I checked some of the main guide but I didn't want to read all the spoilers.
    Thanks in advance :D
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    aidx1054 wrote:
    Does anyone now the Max elves that my town can hold and what the respawn rate is?
    I checked some of the main guide but I didn't want to read all the spoilers.
    Thanks in advance :D
    Highlight to view:
    color=white]Current spawn rate appears to be 3 elves every 15 minutes, and maximum is probably 60 elves including the bank. This isn't definitive yet, but I'll keep checking for updates.[/color
  • thatdonald845
    1605 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    There could be moderated threads on here - like on other forums, where people can post but must wait until their post is approved to be displayed. Considering that this is an E.A. forum, I guess that the tech is there for this to happen? So a No Spoilers thread would have to be strictly moderated. Maybe the system for this Forum does not allow this, but I think it would be workable.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Maybe fewer people are interested in vague and/or white-text discussion than I thought. Or maybe they're all busy with the holidays. Either way, it's here for them if they want it.

I suppose because the views are high but there aren't many posts in the thread itself. Everyone must just be fine with spoilers! :lol:
  • aidx1054
    1554 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Thanks for the reply :D
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    aidx1054 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply :D
    No problem!

Anyone else have a question that they don't want to brave a bunch of spoilers for?
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.