EA Forums - Banner

New Year's Eve/Day superstitions and traditions

Prev1
Nilmade wrote:
There are people from different countries here so I'm curious about your traditions or superstitions today.

We have a few superstitions here in Spain, like wearing red underwear on New Year's Eve or dropping a gold ring in the champagne flute before toasting at midnight. But our most important tradition is the twelve grapes. We eat a grape with each bell chime at midnight to have a lucky new year. Everyone does it and every channel broadcast it live (mainly from Puerta del Sol clock in Madrid). It may seem easy but it isn't; you have to swallow as fast as you can and avoid looking around because it's hilarious to see others do it. Sometimes we almost choke but it's a good way to start the new year laughing :lol:

I'm in the Midlands in the UK, and my nan tells me you shouldn't do any laundry at New Year or else "wash away a loved one" which is just a little bit morbid.

Replies

• Corrcorrcorr
    1139 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Does wearing red underwear bring good luck? I will try that if it's like that :lol:.

I don't really know if we have anything else here but we have this superstition that you need to eat as many apples as possible to have good health for next year. That sucks big time for me because I can't eat apples :lol: maybe that's why I have horrible health :lol:

Oh wait, I don't know if this is everywhere but for good love life first person to wish you happy new year must be in opposite gender.
  • joniferous
    511 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Brevis45 wrote:
    That sounds like fun Nilmade :D

Here in the UK.

I have grown up with these traditions.

It is bad luck to hang a calendar on the wall for the new year till the last chime of midnight has passed.

A man has to see the new year into your house so your partner / son / uncle has to go out the back door let the old year out and round to the front door to let the new year in. If there is no male in the house than a male visitor any time in the new year will do. :-)

Yeah my nan told me that, and that under no circumstances should you let a woman in, and if she tries to throw things at her to hound her away from the house!
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I didn't know you were Spanish, Nilmade :shock: But I've heard that grape thing before. Excuse my ignorance but doesn't Gloria do that on an episode of Modern Family in one episode. Is that the same thing?
  • Nilmade
    1028 posts
    edited December 2014
    Your nan seems to be an interesting person joniferus :D
    I'm not superstitious but I may try some of these things. So I shouldn't do laundry (today, tomorrow or both?), wish happy new year first to a man, eat a lot of apples (just today or the rest of the year?), don't hang a calendar and kick my father out of the house. It'll be funny to see his face when I tell him this :lol:
    Does wearing red underwear bring good luck? I will try that if it's like that :lol:.
    That's what people think and it's an easy thing to try :D
    I didn't know you were Spanish, Nilmade :shock: But I've heard that grape thing before. Excuse my ignorance but doesn't Gloria do that on an episode of Modern Family in one episode. Is that the same thing?
    Didn't you? And where did you think I was from? :lol: I can't remember exactly what she did on that episode, but may be the same thing. The tradition has travelled from here to other countries in South America.
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Nilmade wrote:
    Didn't you? And where did you think I was from? :lol: I can't remember exactly what she did on that episode, but may be the same thing. The tradition has travelled from here to other countries in South America.

I guess I just assumed you were English because of the Doctor Who thing :lol:
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    It's tradition here to drink loads of beer and blow stuff up.
  • joniferous
    511 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Nilmade wrote:
    Your nan seems to be an interesting person joniferus :D
    I'm not superstitious but I may try some of these things. So I shouldn't do laundry (today, tomorrow or both?), wish happy new year first to a man, eat a lot of apples (just today or the rest of the year?), don't hang a calendar and kick my father out of the house. It'll be funny to see his face when I tell him this :lol:

She is indeed a very interesting lady.
    Yes, no laundry from December 30th to January 2nd so you miss new year entirely. Some people are extra careful and don't do any kind of cleaning or washing, so they welcome new year smelly and without any cutlery. My nan says my Grampa was like that and so they had special things for new year so they didn't run out.
  • juliet603
    17879 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Haha I love the grapes thing Nilmade - that sounds really funny! :lol:

I don't have any superstitions or traditions but I might steal that one next year (haven't got any grapes to do it this year lol!) :D

@ Kaia is it eating lots of apples just today or all year?
  • phoebexlois
    975 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Brevis45 wrote:
    It is bad luck to hang a calendar on the wall for the new year till the last chime of midnight has passed.
    Oops! I got one on Christmas day so I put it up Christmas day ready for the new year. Oh, well!
    I don't follow any traditions or superstitions really.
  • velinadelinis
    2093 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Gosh! Love the sounds of these traditions. When I think about Australian traditions the only thought that crosses my mind is pictures that belong on embarrassing party fails.
    I choose not to leave my bedroom, where the air con is.
  • TheGlassHammer
    820 posts
    edited December 2014
    My grandmother always told us to wear brand new socks on NYE. That way you walk the year in good health. She was from Spain but we also had some family from other parts so I am not 100% sure where that one came from.

We would put the socks on at night like at dinner time (if we didn't put them on that morning for school/work) then would sleep in them to make sure we wore them all night.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18104 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Oh yeah, we do have traditions. We eat these things all night. And probably the next day is there are any left.

oliebollen.jpg
  • Nilmade
    1028 posts
    edited December 2014
    juliet603 wrote:

I don't have any superstitions or traditions but I might steal that one next year (haven't got any grapes to do it this year lol!) :D
    Tradition says grapes but people who don't like them eat olives, M&M's, jelly beans,...
    My grandmother always told us to wear brand new socks on NYE. That way you walk the year in good health. She was from Spain but we also had some family from other parts so I am not 100% sure where that one came from.

We would put the socks on at night like at dinner time (if we didn't put them on that morning for school/work) then would sleep in them to make sure we wore them all night.
    Seems that we Spaniards are very superstitious :lol:
    Oh yeah, we do have traditions. We eat these things all night. And probably the next day is there are any left.

oliebollen.jpg
    We need that recipe in the cooking thread Elian :D Those things look like a bigger version of our bu?uelos.
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    we're supposed to eat black-eyed peas.
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited December 2014
    I hear opening a bag of crisps upside down can bring you bad luck :shock:
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Wild! The only superstition I've ever heard of is that you should kiss someone at midnight or you'll be alone all year.
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Our family always has roast with carrots, potatoes, and cabbage for New Year's Day dinner because its supposed to bring good luck for the new year.
  • jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    My partner sticks a quarter under the door to usher in wealth in the new year. I think it's supposed to stay there indefinitely, but most years I accidentally kick it loose. Which probably explains a lot about my financial situation. :lol:
  • juliet603
    17879 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Nilmade wrote:
    juliet603 wrote:

Tradition says grapes but people who don't like them eat olives, M&M's, jelly beans...

What about cans of beer? That would be funny! :lol: I do actually have jelly beans though so maybe we'll try it :P

My brother (who lives in barcelona) bought me one of those Tio de Nadal logs ppl beat with sticks so they poo treats lol, so we put that out every year now! :lol: (I know that's a Catalonian thing but I know you'd know what it was) :P

He also gave me a Marilyn Monroe Caganer last year, but I re-gifted that to someone else as a joke present! :lol: I didn't really want it sat out in my living room haha!
  • SirLance_Elot
    2148 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    neuroheart wrote:
    Wild! The only superstition I've ever heard of is that you should kiss someone at midnight or you'll be alone all year.

This is the only one I've heard of too. Luckily I got that covered :P.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!