EA Forums - Banner

How Good is "Pretty Good"?

Prev1
Always though that if a person says that with it means it's not good but surprisingly better than usually :lol:

Replies

• nicholasd30
    6646 posts
    edited December 2014
    At least you got praised
  • pollardfreek
    786 posts Member
    edited December 2014

37804b1b82132ee4475884a823cee2a1a520277f0492e225ae1803c63ee0f409.jpg
  • Jblue8298
    7994 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I just said this a million times in my head :lol: I lean towards it meaning less than good

but I'm sure your boss meant more than good :wink:
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I always say it when i don't mean it, but everyone gives a dfferent meaning to that
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    37804b1b82132ee4475884a823cee2a1a520277f0492e225ae1803c63ee0f409.jpg

Dammit you beat me to it! :lol:

prettygood.gif
  • pollardfreek
    786 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I wanted to do a gif but I knew someone else would go for it so I just grabbed the first Larry David pic I could find lol. For the record I like yours better Juliet.
  • annettemarc
    7722 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Depends on the inflection and body language.

If emphasis is on pretty, with a shrug, it sounds like they're saying "Meh. Pretty good." (Less than good.)
    If emphasis is on "good", with a nod, it's more like they're saying " That's pretty darn good.". (Filter disallows word stronger than "darn")
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    You should have responded with well you're kind of an okay boss...
  • SakuraNeko08
    3531 posts Member
    edited December 2014

+1 :twisted:
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

• juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    Depends on the inflection and body language.

If emphasis is on pretty, with a shrug, it sounds like they're saying "Meh. Pretty good." (Less than good.)
    If emphasis is on "good", with a nod, it's more like they're saying " That's pretty darn good.". (Filter disallows word stronger than "darn")

This is a very good point!
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited December 2014

i'm gonna put that on a card. :)
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited December 2014
    ax0n01 wrote:

i'm gonna put that on a card. :)
    i think that's a pretty good idea :wink::lol:

Im terrable at taking complements :lol: I always read too much into them and get offended :lol: Id rather they say nothing or just make a generalisation instead of directing a conplement at me :lol:

my manage said, "wow you got all that done ". and I thought. why wouldn't I? what you trying to say :lol:

I should learn to take it for what it is :lol: or just say thanks and move on :lol: :P
  • Jblue8298
    7994 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    now everyone should compliment skyrim on something :lol:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited December 2014
    I would but don't want to offend him... :mrgreen:
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited December 2014
    bahaha :twisted: I hate the assumptions more than the complements I guess :lol:
  • nascarchamp0
    1016 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    What annette said

• brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    When I say it, it can mean both ways. Like Annette said, it depends on how they emphasise it.
  • maryclaire1
    6024 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I always thought it meant better than good, but after reading this I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't use that phrase anymore...

Skyrim, your comment was funny! I do the same thing when someone compliments me. I start to wonder if it's really a compliment or if I was that bad before the compliment that I should have been doing better before. :lol:
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I think it also depends on the situation.
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited January 2015
    I always thought it meant better than good, but after reading this I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't use that phrase anymore...

Skyrim, your comment was funny! I do the same thing when someone compliments me. I start to wonder if it's really a compliment or if I was that bad before the compliment that I should have been doing better before. :lol:
    lol Its horrible to question everything but I can't help it.

I lost my shizzle with a guy I play darts with... and Im not good but Im not the worst in the group. and this guy is more consistant but I problerly win just as much as him. but when Im doing well. he turns around to every one and says to me "you're getting better". now he's not trying to offened but at the time I was having non off it. " WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM GETTING BETTER!". I thought he was patronising me (I think I'm alright at darts :wink: )
    :lol: but he was so shocked to see I took it that way, I think he was being genuine and thinks im getting better.....still who's he to judge :P :lol:

I need to chill out abit :lol::mrgreen:
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!