EA Forums - Banner

terrorists attack French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo at least 12 dead

Prev1
I'm not meaning this in any political sense, but please realize that 23% of the world's population is Muslim. 1.6 Billion people.

Just to put it into perspective ... I'll pull a number out of my hat solely to illustrate.. If there were 1.6 Million Muslim terrorists, they would make up one-tenth-of-one-percent of that faith's membership. The rest -- 99.9% -- would be innocently going about their business. And I've never heard anywhere claim that there are anywhere near 1.6 million terrorists!

It's unfortunate that the only ones who get the "microphone" are the asholes. It makes them celebrities, and makes us hear their message. And since the whole reason for their existence is to create terror, I'd say that with all the coverage making all of us so terrified, the terrorists achieved their goal a long time ago.

So, we can hate the terrorists. But in my opinion, we should not hate the Muslims. :(

Replies

  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited January 2015
    I'm not meaning this in any political sense, but please realize that 23% of the world's population is Muslim. 1.6 Billion people.

    Just to put it into perspective ... I'll pull a number out of my hat solely to illustrate.. If there were 1.6 Million Muslim terrorists, they would make up one-tenth-of-one-percent of that faith's membership. The rest -- 99.9% -- would be innocently going about their business. And I've never heard anywhere claim that there are anywhere near 1.6 million terrorists!

    It's unfortunate that the only ones who get the "microphone" are the asholes. It makes them celebrities, and makes us hear their message. And since the whole reason for their existence is to create terror, I'd say that with all the coverage making all of us so terrified, the terrorists achieved their goal a long time ago.

    So, we can hate the terrorists. But in my opinion, we should not hate the Muslims. :(

    did a quick google search found a few articles claiming 15-25% of Muslims have extremist views (180-300 million) not sure how accurate those figures are but it's not hard to believe... how many of those are actual terrorists is hard to know but I'd wager it's a lot higher then 1.6 million

  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    So, we can hate the terrorists. But in my opinion, we should not hate the Muslims. :(
    Thanks Annette for your post.

    As a Hindu whose family comes from a specific part of the subcontinent that has seen major strife between the two religions, there are definitely reasons why many of us feel compelled to hate the other side. And I'm not going to lie, I have relatives who hate Muslims.

    That said, I agree with Annette--we should not start hating Muslims. If history tells us anything, nothing good comes when large groups of people grow to dislike and hate each other.

    Also, baddazoner, while I understand where you're coming from, I'm not sure this is the best place to vent about it. There are a lot of Muslim people out there and plenty likely read this board. Some of these comments are offensive and will make any Muslim upset.
  • baddazoner
    1006 posts
    edited January 2015
    Mopurglar wrote:
    Also, baddazoner, while I understand where you're coming from, I'm not sure this is the best place to vent about it. There are a lot of Muslim people out there and plenty likely read this board. Some of these comments are offensive and will make any Muslim upset.

    hate to say this but i just have to... that's what annoys me everyone is scared of saying anything because it might offend them

    look at what people say about our religions or countries in the various parodies over the years etc and no one gets offended but oh no don't dare say about Muslims because they might be offended
  • Wijsheid
    9653 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    The religion and terrorism can not be seen as seperate things. That is all i have to say about that matter. The religion and their holy book cultivate violence. It literally says to destroy those who do not believe or deny the prophet.

    Yes, 90% is probably peaceful and i even have muslim friends but even they say the religion itself has 'evil' origins and cultivate violence. You can not talk about this and not discuss the religion because terrorism hs it roots there. Every religion has roots in violence. Even catholicism. But in this modern day and age you will never hear someone executed a terrorist attack in the name of catholicism. Te islam has failed to evolve from a violent belief to a belief that supports people in their struggles through life as most religions have.

    The islam, more specificly their extremist, make it impossible to uphold a diverse society of culture and beliefs. I'migration has gone too far already because there has never been a proper system to incorporate them in our society. Children are often left behind in education, grasping on to their own crowd annihilating them from general society, failing to provide them chanches thus pushing them towards extremism.

    A failed immigration system has created extremists.

    I guess it was not all i had to say.
    And yes. It can be discussed here. It is OFF-TOPIC. as in not related to games.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited January 2015
    Wijsheid wrote:
    And yes. It can be discussed here. It is OFF-TOPIC. as in not related to games.

    It can be discussed BUT if this thread gets out of hand with arguments or attacks towards people it will be removed!
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I was expecting a topic showing sympathy for the victims and their familes.

    Instead, found this. A topic that spreads hatred. Congratuations, Terrorists. Goals achieved. At least in this little part of the world. As i can imagine their will be a lot of.
  • Nilmade
    1028 posts
    edited January 2015
    I was expecting a topic showing sympathy for the victims and their familes.

    Instead, found this. A topic that spreads hatred. Congratuations, Terrorists. Goals achieved. At least in this little part of the world. As i can imagine their will be a lot of.
    ^This
    They just want us to give them a reason to keep doing this kind of things.

    I agree partially with you Wij but, although the roots, each person decides how to interpret what his/her religion says. It isn't a problem of religion or immigration, it's a problem of education.
  • chris6271
    4012 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I was expecting a topic showing sympathy for the victims and their familes.

    Instead, found this. A topic that spreads hatred. Congratuations, Terrorists. Goals achieved. At least in this little part of the world. As i can imagine their will be a lot of.

    I agree with you, Elian. My thoughts are by the families of the victims.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I did a google search and came up with multiple "offending" cartoons...I'll be blunt and say that this wasn't because of a cartoon, this was more than that. These few thugs were using any excuse to make a move and they used the cartoon as a false excuse.

    Edit: removing unrelated speculation.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • henpot7514
    6011 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    My brother in law is a Muslim, I occasionally work at Indian weddings. You cannot tar this culture with the same brush, same way you cannot tar every American teenager in the event they shoot up a school.


    It is absolutely awful what happened in Paris but it really really * me off when people say 'I hate Muslims' or that none of them can be trusted.


    It is * ignorant
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited January 2015
    henpot7514 wrote:
    My brother in law is a Muslim, I occasionally work at Indian weddings. You cannot tar this culture with the same brush, same way you cannot tar every American teenager in the event they shoot up a school.


    It is absolutely awful what happened in Paris but it really really * me off when people say 'I hate Muslims' or that none of them can be trusted.


    It is * ignorant
    nice one Henpot! my thoughts excatly,
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    henpot7514 wrote:
    My brother in law is a Muslim, I occasionally work at Indian weddings. You cannot tar this culture with the same brush, same way you cannot tar every American teenager in the event they shoot up a school.


    It is absolutely awful what happened in Paris but it really really * me off when people say 'I hate Muslims' or that none of them can be trusted.


    It is * ignorant

    It's beyond ignorant, it's disgusting. A group of thugs who feel the need to force people to do whatever they deem to be right is not an entire religion. People painting with such broad brushes about people might want to look in the mirror because they themselves can be just as easily painted in such an ignorant way.
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I have so many conflicting feelings about this incident. I condemn the three individuals who slaughtered these people. I do not condemn Islam as a whole because of it, because Annette is absolutely right. I do believe in freedom of expression.

    But I CANNOT say "Je suis Charlie" because the editors of that magazine were racist. The cartoons and articles they published were offensive to religions, not just Islam but Christianity and Judaism as well. No, they didn't deserve to die because of what they published, but they sure as hell shouldn't be held up as heroes, either.

    My last word on the subject.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • Nilmade
    1028 posts
    edited January 2015
    Skyrim-mrp wrote:
    henpot7514 wrote:
    My brother in law is a Muslim, I occasionally work at Indian weddings. You cannot tar this culture with the same brush, same way you cannot tar every American teenager in the event they shoot up a school.


    It is absolutely awful what happened in Paris but it really really * me off when people say 'I hate Muslims' or that none of them can be trusted.


    It is * ignorant
    nice one Henpot! my thoughts excatly,
    +2 There are good and bad people among muslims, the same way as among christians, jewish, teenagers, or any other group.
    But I CANNOT say "Je suis Charlie" because the editors of that magazine were racist. The cartoons and articles they published were offensive to religions, not just Islam but Christianity and Judaism as well. No, they didn't deserve to die because of what they published, but they sure as hell shouldn't be held up as heroes, either.
    Sorry Lynn but I can't agree with you. I don't think they were racist. As you say they made jokes about other religions too. Their job was to make fun of things and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it. The ones who didn't like it should have ignored the magazine or sued them if they considered that so offensive.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Nilmade wrote:
    But I CANNOT say "Je suis Charlie" because the editors of that magazine were racist. The cartoons and articles they published were offensive to religions, not just Islam but Christianity and Judaism as well. No, they didn't deserve to die because of what they published, but they sure as hell shouldn't be held up as heroes, either.
    Sorry Lynn but I can't agree with you. I don't think they were racist. As you say they made jokes about other religions too. Their job was to make fun of things and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it. The ones who didn't like it should have ignored the magazine or sued them if they considered that so offensive.

    +1 Agreed. Charlie Hebdo stepped on a lot of peoples toes. They were a lot of things, but not racist. They made satirical cartoons about a lot of religions and subjects. They mocked a lot of people, cultures and religions.

    They mocked the islam for their restrictions to freedom of speech and the ( sometimes ) openly accepted anti-semitism.
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited January 2015
    Nilmade wrote:
    But I CANNOT say "Je suis Charlie" because the editors of that magazine were racist. The cartoons and articles they published were offensive to religions, not just Islam but Christianity and Judaism as well. No, they didn't deserve to die because of what they published, but they sure as hell shouldn't be held up as heroes, either.
    Sorry Lynn but I can't agree with you. I don't think they were racist. As you say they made jokes about other religions too. Their job was to make fun of things and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it. The ones who didn't like it should have ignored the magazine or sued them if they considered that so offensive.

    +1 Agreed. Charlie Hebdo stepped on a lot of peoples toes. They were a lot of things, but not racist. They made satirical cartoons about a lot of religions and subjects. They mocked a lot of people, cultures and religions.

    They mocked the islam for their restrictions to freedom of speech and the ( sometimes ) openly accepted anti-semitism.
    although I agree with the fact that the cartoons were stepping the line, we can't pick and chose when free speech applies, if so I would of had that group who burnt poppy wreaths at prades burnt, but free speech is somthing we support as a country...
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm not getting into the whole religion/muslim thing on this forum but what I do want to say is this:

    What really annoys me during times like this is that people want to start talking about muslims and their religion...PEOPLE HAVE JUST DIED. Show some god damn respect and realise that people have just died in this extremely inhumane way. It really annoyed me during the Sydney siege when there were hostages in this cafe and we didn't know much and the news channels wanted to talk about how this could affect muslims...THERE WERE HOSTAGES IN A BUILDING. Forget about religion for a second and look behind you where there are over 10 people locked in a cafe at gun point. There were innocent Aussies in this cafe and you just want to talk about how muslims are affected by that. EVERYONE IN AUSTRALIA WAS AFFECTED BY IT.
  • nicholasd30
    6646 posts
    edited January 2015
    Baddazoner you have got to be careful with your first comment you probably didn't mean to but it can be seen as racist.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Skyrim-mrp wrote:
    Nilmade wrote:
    But I CANNOT say "Je suis Charlie" because the editors of that magazine were racist. The cartoons and articles they published were offensive to religions, not just Islam but Christianity and Judaism as well. No, they didn't deserve to die because of what they published, but they sure as hell shouldn't be held up as heroes, either.
    Sorry Lynn but I can't agree with you. I don't think they were racist. As you say they made jokes about other religions too. Their job was to make fun of things and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it. The ones who didn't like it should have ignored the magazine or sued them if they considered that so offensive.

    +1 Agreed. Charlie Hebdo stepped on a lot of peoples toes. They were a lot of things, but not racist. They made satirical cartoons about a lot of religions and subjects. They mocked a lot of people, cultures and religions.

    They mocked the islam for their restrictions to freedom of speech and the ( sometimes ) openly accepted anti-semitism.
    although I agree with the fact that the cartoons were stepping the line, we can't pick and chose when free speech applies, if so I would of had that group who burnt poppy wreaths at prades burnt, but free speech is somthing we support as a country...

    Sorry, Skyrim. I do not exactly know what you mean here. :(
  • tommy1724
    1972 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I have a lot of strong feelings about the original post, but I don't think this is the place to start a political fight. Neo, I saw your post, but I really want to suggest this thread be locked. Nothing positive will come from this continuing in this forum. By all means, go to news and politics forums and engage in this discussion, but mods, please lock.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!