EA Forums - Banner

Hoping another city wins the 2024 Olympic Games

efin98
5856 posts Member
efin98 wrote:
My hometown just got awarded the USOC's recommendation to host the 2024 Olympic Games. I would normally be pleased with that, except in the past 14 years of paying close attention to the goings on of the state I am disappointed by the selection.

We don't have an athetics stadium that fits the IOC's rules, we don't have the infrastructure to house the incoming throngs of international media, and you would not believe the amount of cooperation and money needed to get the athletes housed in livable conditions...

And I can't even begin to explain the politics of this area- city and town, state, federal, private properties all needed to give their OK and support just to host events :roll: San Francisco, Washington DC, and Los Angelas were all better choices than Boston :roll:


Please, please, please let Paris or Rome or some other major city ultimately win, we can't handle it and more importantly the general public here just doesn't want it!

I've also heard that the Olympics really drains a city's finances and the difference is almost never made up, so they ultimately lose a ton of money. I think it was Athens that really took a hit after they hosted. Seems like it would put a lot of stress on the city.

Replies

  • SakuraNeko08
    3531 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    lol...reminds me of a news report a couple years ago of Tulsa wanting to put in for the 2024 Olympics. That place is also no where near big enough for that kind of event. And with the only other largest city in Oklahoma being Oklahoma City, I cringe to think of what the traffic would be like between the two cities for tourists and participants (not to mention residents). So I can see why you would hope they don't win the privilege to host them.
    There is no way to happiness - happiness is the way. Thich Nhat Hanh

  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:
    I've also heard that the Olympics really drains a city's finances and the difference is almost never made up, so they ultimately lose a ton of money. I think it was Athens that really took a hit after they hosted. Seems like it would put a lot of stress on the city.
    I've heard that, too. Kind of made me glad that Colorado refused to host forty-ish years ago and now the Olympic committee hates us :lol:
  • SuperMario643000
    1589 posts
    edited January 2015
    Maybe it will head to Springfield?
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Maybe it will head to Springfield?

    That's not out of the question, one of the show's namesake cities is within reasonable distance of Boston and could get some of the staging for media and athletes if there are events being held nearby :lol:

    The show would make a hilarious joke and snide remark :shock: :mrgreen:
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    neuroheart wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    I've also heard that the Olympics really drains a city's finances and the difference is almost never made up, so they ultimately lose a ton of money. I think it was Athens that really took a hit after they hosted. Seems like it would put a lot of stress on the city.
    I've heard that, too. Kind of made me glad that Colorado refused to host forty-ish years ago and now the Olympic committee hates us :lol:

    They hated the US as hosts enough to award the games to the US three times since(two being non-shady)...LA got the '84 games awarded five years after the rejection.

    Montreal is supposedly still a little ways away from paying off the debts from hosting the '76 Olympics...Boston getting them? Well that debt is something that would make our "Big Dig" look like pocket change :cry: :oops:
  • Mopurglar
    1048 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    If I were a Bostonian, I'd be stoked. You worry too much about infrastructure, IMO, as Boston is at least a decent convention city, and plenty of smaller urban areas have hosted the Olympics in the past. And if anything isn't up to snuff, you've got 10 years to get it there.

    That said, I think of Boston as being a very American kind of sports town, so I'm not surprised that people aren't excited about the Olympics. Though I love the city, I wish we had gone with a less traditional pick with broad international appeal. Especially since odds are high we'll win a host bid soon.

    IMO, Miami would be an awesome Olympic host city for 2028. Though it's big (4th largest US urban area) and a standard tourist/convention destination, there is nothing traditional about it. It's super multicultural with a flavor its own and would do a terrific job representing the continent. LA is is also great but has hosted 2 out of the last 3 Summer Games in the US.
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited January 2015
    efin98 wrote:
    Maybe it will head to Springfield?

    That's not out of the question, one of the show's namesake cities is within reasonable distance of Boston and could get some of the staging for media and athletes if there are events being held nearby :lol:

    The show would make a hilarious joke and snide remark :shock: :mrgreen:

    They already got a mascot ready if this happened ;)

    wHNp96NMOe6k8bmj3xCnEXBxo1_500.png

    and if it goes wrong Homer will sell the remaining ones :lol:


    tumblr_mnxvkf4FtZ1roamg8o1_500.gif
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    efin98 wrote:
    neuroheart wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    I've also heard that the Olympics really drains a city's finances and the difference is almost never made up, so they ultimately lose a ton of money. I think it was Athens that really took a hit after they hosted. Seems like it would put a lot of stress on the city.
    I've heard that, too. Kind of made me glad that Colorado refused to host forty-ish years ago and now the Olympic committee hates us :lol:

    They hated the US as hosts enough to award the games to the US three times since(two being non-shady)...LA got the '84 games awarded five years after the rejection.
    I'm not talking about the US, I'm talking about Colorado. We'll probably never host the Olympics because we backed out of hosting 38 years ago due to environmental and economic concerns. Cost the committee a lot of money. They hate us. (Woo!)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!