EA Forums - Banner

How the frick so peaple fall asleep in seconds

Right now it's 6 * AM and can't fall asleep even though tired. It really annoys me that I see others litterly fall asleep seconds after lying down. Ever night it takes me 1-2 god danm hours to fall asleep. How the hell do people fall asleep so fricken fast! It really **** me off I even almost put a hole in my wall punching out of anger that I now can't fall asleep for 5 god damn hours! I had friends stay the night and they fall asleep fast, useing the same pillows and sheets I uses so it's not that. P.s it's been like this my whole fricken life and I thought this was normal untill I see how god danm fast pretty Much everyone else can fall asleep.

Another thing really ticks me off is the auto correct changing what I ment to say but only way to disable it is delete it permanently then I will need it GRrrrrr Fhsssghh.

First off you really need to learn to unwind. Secondly you need to stop watching TV / the computer / the ipad ( or what ever ) as the light from these can set your brain thinking it is still day light. It is all to do with the lighting. So just chill and read a book or something to wind down. :-)

Replies

• velinadelinis
    2094 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I have been similar most of my life. Now tonight I sleep with prince Valium, this is rare and I only use it when really needed, otherwise I use other over the counter things to help me
    Sleep. It is something I have seen professionals about, learn all the tricks and somehow, the brain cannot shut up!
    It's 8.45pm now and I have had a huge day along with a not very enjoyable home time. Unfortunately I still see myself waking up tonight.
    I have also tried natural alternatives. The only thing I haven't tried which I have heard good things about is melatonin. I
    Am really
    Keen to
    Try this.
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Maybe don't read at night, if you're anything like me it will just keep you up. I really like reading, though..

Sounds like you got some sleep problems, maybe see a doctor.
  • Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited January 2015
    When I goto sleep I don't have the kindle on or tv on or anything like that I take meleton when can't sleep nut try not to use it too much or it will lose effect. Now I'm on kindle because couldn't fall asleep. Now I'm really * because I took meletonan and there is LOUD CLOSE thunder and lightning I actually jumped because I'm afraid one of those days it's going to smash one of those tall * trees into the house and smash my danm skull. P.S I'm EXTREMELY VERY ULTRA SUPER scared of dieing I've been that way and even cried as a little kid in fear of death. I have always questioned religion as none really knows for sure.
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Hit them in the head!
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Here you go

gifs-personnages-17_551754-L.gif

You can thank me after you wake up :wink:
  • lynnmckenz82
    2613 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    When I goto sleep I don't have the kindle on or tv on or anything like that I take meleton when can't sleep nut try not to use it too much or it will lose effect. Now I'm on kindle because couldn't fall asleep. Now I'm really * because I took meletonan and there is LOUD CLOSE thunder and lightning I actually jumped because I'm afraid one of those days it's going to smash one of those tall * trees into the house and smash my danm skull. P.S I'm EXTREMELY VERY ULTRA SUPER scared of dieing I've been that way and even cried as a little kid in fear of death. I have always questioned religion as none really knows for sure.

I know exactly how you feel. When I was a kid, I would spend hours lying awake, terrified to sleep because that was when the monsters would get me. I don't know how old you are, but the older I got, the less afraid I was. I do pretty well now (I'm in my fifties), but it still takes me about half an hour to fall asleep most nights, sometimes longer if I'm wound up. So you're not alone.

Have you seen a doctor? If not, I would. She might be able to help. Either way, good luck and hang in there.
    Imagine there's a signature image here.--Lynn McKenzie
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I sometimes go through phases of this myself and it drives me mad that my BF fell asleep while we're watching TV, but hours later I'm just laying in the dark bored and wide awake. With me it's like my brain won't shut off, I can be exhausted at 9pm, but come midnight im wide awake and I start thinking about pretty much anything and everything! Luckily I don't have it all the time like you!
  • neuroheart
    8132 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    The only thing I haven't tried which I have heard good things about is melatonin. I
    Am really
    Keen to
    Try this.
    I've been using melatonin for a couple years. It's great. Usually kicks in about an hour after I take it, just this wave of sleepiness. As long as I catch that wave, I can fall asleep pretty easily.
  • SirLance_Elot
    2148 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    neuroheart wrote:
    The only thing I haven't tried which I have heard good things about is melatonin. I
    Am really
    Keen to
    Try this.
    I've been using melatonin for a couple years. It's great. Usually kicks in about an hour after I take it, just this wave of sleepiness. As long as I catch that wave, I can fall asleep pretty easily.

haha catch the "wave"
  • annettemarc
    7720 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Heres an alternate system if none of that works:

If you dont have a kindle, put a timer on your lamp to shut it off after a set period.
    If you do have a kindle, Set your Kindle to "sleep" after a set period.

Buy or Download some classic novels that you think will bore YOU to death. Nothing with a stimulating plot.

I use novels from my required reading lists from when I was in high school and college. (They sure put me to sleep back in school, and still do the job.) Set a goal to stay awake to finish the book. Pretend you have a major assignment on it due the next day. Youll be asleep by page two. Assuming you make it to page two. Here's a partial list of books that work for me:

Babbit by Sinclair Lewis
    Great Expectations by ****
    Silas Marner by Eliot
    Ulysses by James Joyce

Just my two-cents. Assumes the meds don't work. Those sound like a better option.
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • 4junk3000
    5271 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Sleep aid tips:

1. Acknowledge you have an anger issue and seek help if you can't control it alone. Like just talking to get stuff off your chest so you don't take it to bed. You should not be punching walls over this. I've been mad enough to damage things so I understand mad, but that is counterproductive to sleep. Obviously the sleep deprivation is making it worse.

2. The light from your devices may be emitting the color temperature that makes your brain think it's daytime. Change the color temperature on your lights so they have that warm pink glow, not the more blue glow. Don't stare at tablets or TVs after 9pm.

3. Try to reset your circadian rhythm. This is the clock inside us that makes us want to sleep overnight. Yours must be jacked up. Here's how to fix: wake by an alarm at the same time every day. 6-7am. Then, set your meal routine very rigid for a while, same times every day. Do this for 3 weeks. Weekends too, don't ruin 5 days of work with two days of sleeping in late.

4. Get some form of exercise before dinner, then eat and finish before 8pm. 20 pushups, situps, and squats is enough to start. Simple. This increases your metabolism. Eat dinner 6-7pm. Give your body time to move most of the food out of your stomach before you are lying down. Do not lie down immediately after eating. Do not eat anything after 8pm.

5. Take a 15 minute walk between dinner and bed. This will be your final energy burn off before you go to shut down.

6. Go to bed at at 10-11 pm. Aim for about a 7 hr sleep period. Do not lie in your bed for anything but sleep. Never watch TV in bed. Set the room temperature cooler, not warmer.

7. Get a text book, something like a science or history book that you find somewhat boring. Nothing has ever put me to sleep so quick like trying to study some boring subject.

8. Last resorts: a shot of whiskey, or what I will try to describe discreetly..."sexual relief" about a half hour before your designated bed time.

The type of light is important, your body is similar to a plant, it expects to be in sun and in darkness for a certain amount of time in a cycle. You must fix that cycle.

Then, minimize all interference with sleep: digestion, distractions, etc. And of course burn energy at designated times so your body CRAVES sleep at ITS designated time.

It takes 3weeks to internalize a habit. Force yourself through what I've said and by valentines you'll be a different person. Good luck.
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
  • barryriddl474
    4816 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Here's a video I watched recently that may help:

• JimJ321
    4208 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I usually drink just the right amount an hour before bed. For me that is usually a gallon of choice wine.

8y5guw.jpg
  • Jax001100
    1004 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I'm one of those annoying people who can sleep any time. My husband has always had trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep. He's gotten better over the years with a couple of changes. No caffeine after 3pm. No sugar for 2 hours before bed (including alcohol!). More regular exercise. And no electronic devices for about 30 minutes before bed. He is also really bad at not drinking enough water during the day, so he used to drink a lot of water just before bed, wake up to go to the loo, feel thirsty and drink more...you see where this is going. He used to be up 5 or 6 times a night. And he would be cranky with me for sleeping through. :lol:
  • cdepast
    2463 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    In California you can get a "prescription" to naturally help you sleep. No prescription needed where Nueroheart lives...

monty-python-nudge-nudge-wink-wink-television-poster.jpg
  • Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited January 2015
    yea i can try boring myself with something, if i remember eysterday i was looking on some parts of the fourms i wasnt intrested in, the anger was just from the very fact that i wasent asleep when i wanted to be. its not "monsters" im scared of but theres very tall trees around the house, and lightning constantly is knoicking off big branches, one put a big * dent in my neighbors house, poor neighborhood he still hasent been able to fix it, im afroid one of these days it will decide to knock a whole tree into the house, and knowing my luck the room i am in i am 22. the melatonan works but if use it every night it will lose its effect. i try to think of a girl i like to try to make me sleep [still done have GF :(]. i read somewhere that creative peaple take forever to fall asleep and my mind is usaly raceing about multable thughts and other universes when i sleep. drinking before bed works, but at the moment im on a t-break from alcohal to give my liver a break, last blood test my emzines were slightly elavated but i drank night before the test, but going for another blood test this thursday.
  • Nilmade
    1028 posts
    edited January 2015
    I usually don't have any problems to fall asleep, but when I can't these are the things that help me.

- Don't drink coke, tea or coffee after lunchtime.
    - Do some exercise before dinner but not before going to bed or you won't be able to sleep.
    - For dinner or before going to bed eat a banana, cheese, yogurt or a glass of warm milk (better with honey)
    - Don't take your cell phone to the bedroom.
    - Lie down on the bed and read for half and hour. This should make you forget your worries.
    - Switch off the light, empty your mind, put your hand on your stomach. Inhale and exhale deeply and slowly; you'll noticed how your stomach goes up and down. Keep doing that and you'll be asleep in a few minutes :D
  • 4junk3000
    5271 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Here's another helpful video:
    hypnotize-yourself-o.gif

Watch this and listen to DJ Shadow or DJ Part. 8)

Post edited by Unknown User on
    "You're the most negative person I've ever seen on here. Constantly."
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!