EA Forums - Banner

Any advice for a first time Nuker?

I nuked recently. Some things I noticed:
The Simpsons house, KL Shuttle, Squidport entrance and all debris remain where they were prior to the nuke.
When putting items back out, search your main inventory when in doubt to where something may be.

I went from over 7000 items to nothing in a flash of the nuke, and the game ran sooooo fast. I rebuilt the majority of my town back the way it was before I nuked, and it took me less than 8 hours to put 5000 items back out.

I would highly recommend it to anyone. Not as scary as I thought, for sure.

Replies

• JimJ321
    4206 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I am shocked and impressed with your accomplishments in such a short tenure on TSTO. You must enjoy buying donuts. I only wish you could have the Mapple store.
    Again, I am impressed.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Take screenshots of areas of your town you especially like before you nuke, so you can remember how it looked.

Probably a good idea to have a general idea of your desired town layout.

I would strongly recommend setting markers at the corners of your landing zone, especially if you'd like to do something special with it. Debris works great since it won't go into storage when you nuke, but anything will do if you do this after the nuke.
  • maryclaire1
    6018 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Good luck with the nuke, OrdinarilyBob! I like your putt putt area so let's plan on keeping that. :D
    I'm afraid to nuke because I think I'd be too lazy to put everything back out. I'd just have big fields of nothing. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a go. :lol:
  • velinadelinis
    2093 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Perms some time
    Browsing the showcase sub forum to help ideas flourish.
  • hondab16tune
    223 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    As someone that has nuked their town twice, and will be doing it again probably around this coming up Halloween event, one of the biggest tips I can give you is to make a plan.

Now what I mean is decide if you want "dedicated areas" like sections for just normal houses, shopping districts, school districts, etc. Also plan where you want to put them. If you are as OCD as I am about things I drew up a little overview on some paper with lists of what houses/decos I wanted in specific areas.

Another thing I would HIGHLY recommend is to use a larger tablet for the redesign. I play on my iPhone 6+ and before that an iPhone 4. When I did my redesign I used my wife's iPad2 and the larger screen helped a LOT. Man, I really cannot tell you how much that helped.

Patience. It will take a while and you will have areas afterward that you will have to "tweak".

Allow extra space. I ran into this issue my first nuke. I did this right after we got the nuke button and after a little time I couldn't tweak things enough and ran out of land to place all the new stuff. We got a TON of new items/large buildings in 2014, and I am feeling the pressure for space. I am a premium gamer and have 99% of everything that has been released. I missed the Duff Racecar somehow and the up, up, buffet but other than that I think I have everything.

Most importantly HAVE FUN. Look at some neighbors and if you see something you like, take notes or screen shots and make something like it. Don't be afraid to experiment.
  • OrdinarilyBob
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    These are all great comments, thank you!

I have already taken some screen shots of my favorite areas with intent to recreate them in the new town. A few things like Simpson's Home, Rubble, Squidport; these things don't nuke. Good to know. Roshigoth1, thanks for the idea of laying unremovable markers so I know where my LZ will be.

I do intend to do some "City Planning" and have residential, commercial, industrial-type zones (I'm a fan of the old-school Sim City game), in fact that's one reason for the Nuke, because of new things coming in, things got out of their zones and/or I have wrong zones to close to others. My hope is I'll be able to leave areas with future growth potential.

And FYI, I am a premium player and have purchased most of the donut items, but not everything. Just stuff I like. 8)
    Good luck with the nuke, OrdinarilyBob! I like your putt putt area so let's plan on keeping that. :D
    I'm afraid to nuke because I think I'd be too lazy to put everything back out. I'd just have big fields of nothing. Maybe one of these days I'll give it a go. :lol:

Awww, thanks Neighborino! I'll see what I can do about putt putt. :wink:
  • kellinadyer
    63 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I do intend to do some "City Planning" and have residential, commercial, industrial-type zones (I'm a fan of the old-school Sim City game), in fact that's one reason for the Nuke, because of new things coming in, things got out of their zones and/or I have wrong zones to close to others. My hope is I'll be able to leave areas with future growth potential.

I am so glad to see another person think like this!!! Clearly that game had a large impact on us, haha :D

Good luck with the nuke and redesign! You are a braver soul than I am.
  • vetteeater
    721 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Don't do it. There is so much more in your town then you could ever imagine.
  • mikepellerin60
    492 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    JimJ321 wrote:
    I only wish you could have the Mapple store.

Why you chose to make this statement in an article about nuking a town is beyond me! Oh, that's right, you're a "completionist" and you choose every opportunity to rub that in the face of the general readership, ad nauseam!

Honestly, you are one of the reasons many of us want a "Block User" function within the forum. We are tired of the pic-or-it-didn't happen spam, tired of the completionist threads. You have nothing to offer other than criticism.

I'm sorry to the other users of this forum, but I've put up with this users negative/non-constructive posts for nearly a year now.

--Mike Pellerin
    Moe: "Moe's tavern, home of the worlds smallest large screen TV."
  • barryriddl474
    4838 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    vetteeater wrote:
    Don't do it. There is so much more in your town then you could ever imagine.

There are a lot of items, but you'll lose some weight, so to speak, in the process. Many items are clutter or are items you can finally leave in storage, so not everything has to come back out. I rebuilt my 'all land bought' town from memory just piddling with it over a weekend....in the snow, where you don't have the luxury of using the grids on the ground for symmetry. But, for me, the fun is in the build. I plan to nuke during long periods of dead time, if we have any.
    Good luck.
  • brickevand408
    1822 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    There was a problem with the guitar center that it was gone after nuking, is that issue resolved?

Otherwise be carefull and have fun O BoB :wink:
  • barryriddl474
    4838 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    There was a problem with the guitar center that it was gone after nuking, is that issue resolved?

Otherwise be carefull and have fun O BoB :wink:

I had no problem with the Guitar Center around New Year's Day.
  • HisWrath
    335 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    The Simpsons house, KL Shuttle, Squidport entrance and all debris remain where they were prior to the nuke.
    When putting items back out, search your main inventory when in doubt to where something may be.

I went from over 7000 items to nothing in a flash of the nuke, and the game ran sooooo fast. I rebuilt the majority of my town back the way it was before I nuked, and it took me less than 8 hours to put 5000 items back out.

Only 8 hours to rebuild? That is amazing!
  • delegg629524
    337 posts
    edited January 2015
    I would do a practice nuke on KL first. That would give me an idea about how long it would take to rebuild SF.
  • barryriddl474
    4838 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    HisWrath wrote:

Thanks! I only used the Simpsons house as my landmark, and once I placed the main roads, I just roughed in the buildings, and then tweaked. This gave it the main look of the town.

I thought it would take a week, but it's easier than it sounds. :D
  • HisWrath
    335 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    HisWrath wrote:

Thanks! I only used the Simpsons house as my landmark, and once I placed the main roads, I just roughed in the buildings, and then tweaked. This gave it the main look of the town.

I think what will eventually convince me to go for it is the unlikelihood of getting more land. I don't have anywhere to put several of the recent buildings and rather than trying to shoehorn them in somewhere it would probably be better to rebuild, condensing everything. It is reassuring to hear that it may not take as long as I feared to complete the rebuild.
  • barryriddl474
    4838 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    HisWrath wrote:
    HisWrath wrote:

I think what will eventually convince me to go for it is the unlikelihood of getting more land. I don't have anywhere to put several of the recent buildings and rather than trying to shoehorn them in somewhere it would probably be better to rebuild, condensing everything. It is reassuring to hear that it may not take as long as I feared to complete the rebuild.

I prefer not to condense and will store anything not crucial or iconic. I like to make large dedicated areas without any overcrowding. If you'd like to give it a try and have no need for a lot of cash, put out only items you really really like, and every time you visit, it will be more pleasurable to view for you. You'll also have more land by taking out the things that lack the wow factor for you.
  • brickevand408
    1822 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I would do a practice nuke on KL first. That would give me an idea about how long it would take to rebuild SF.

Would never nuke my KL, like it more than my SF 8)
  • OrdinarilyBob
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    RL Happens, the way it does (nothing bad, quite the contrary, actually, ended up spending more time with friends/family over this last weekend), and I didn't get to complete my prep-work, much less do the nuke.

I want to take enough screen shots and make a "panoramic view" of my whole town, as is.

Got to find time for that first. *THEN* I'll be nuking.

lol

:)

ETA, I'll post the Before/After pictures when the project is done.