EA Forums - Banner

So we're forming a union

Prev13
ax0n01
2385 posts Member
You can make a case for and against unions...it really depends on the union you plan on affiliating with and your union reps. My last job we were part of the Teamsters, but the rep didn't look after our interests very well and not much support from the Teamsters directly.

Current job is also unionized, different union PSAC (public service alliance of Canada), and we have excellent benefits, they do a great job for its members.

Replies

• efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Check what you are getting paid vs. what union members elsewhere are getting paid and not just ones that are being fed to you by the union reps. Check the benefits you get vs. what those union members negotiated. Check what sick/leave/vacation time you get vs. what union members got.

Don't jump in with both feet, you might have a way of getting everything you want from your bosses without unionizing. There are some corporations that would rather give decent wages and benefits to employees to keep the unions out. Just keep in mind that this novelty will wear off eventually and you might be giving up the union's support such as arbitration, hearings, due process etc. that you won't get from non-union places.
  • SimpsonFamily108
    2133 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I don't like Unions they strike at the first opportunity. Also they are targets for employers to get rid of I know that's hard but they see Union members as trouble makers I was never in one and would never join
  • jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    This is what I'll say about unions. Several years ago, I moved between the exact same type of job in 2 different cities. City A was a former steel city, one of the poorest in the country, very low cost of living. City B was a bougie college town where everything was overpriced.

I took a pay cut moving from A to B, and ended up with much crappier health insurance, because at the first place employees were getting 2-3% cost of living salary bumps each year, and at the second we weren't.

In short: unions exist for the purpose of protecting your rights as a worker. In the past some of them were hugely corrupt, but these days most of them do what they're supposed to. Like Efin said, do your research, but overall it's a good idea.
  • MISTER ZOMBEE
    4694 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I think we should form a Union here at the forum. Just to stick it to the man. :wink:
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I think we should form a Union here at the forum. Just to stick it to the man. :wink:

Could we demand the right to abbreviate the word "Saint"? If so I'm in!
  • MISTER ZOMBEE
    4694 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    juliet603 wrote:

Yes.

And we shall make this sentence visable.

• juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    juliet603 wrote:

Yes.

And we shall make this sentence visable.

What about this one?

* * *!
  • MISTER ZOMBEE
    4694 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I think we should censor the asterisk itself.
  • juliet603
    17888 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    I think we should censor the asterisk itself.

Like this

4Oxe5uO.gif
  • TheGlassHammer
    820 posts
    edited January 2015
    I used to work at Disney in FL and they have unions there. I was a ride operator so I think our Union was Unite 434 (? may be wrong about the number but sure on the word UNITE)

It was kind of nice in the fact you had someone to stick up for you on reprimands and such. Made sure that the workers weren't stepped on. Our OT rules were much nicer because of the union. Such as anything over 8 hrs was 1.5 the pay but then anything over 12 became double time. If you had less than 8 hours in between shifts it was considered one giant shift so the OT kept piling up.

On the other hand everything came down to seniority. It doesn't matter if you busted your bum and worked your ❤️❤️❤️❤️ off the people who worked there longer got the better shifts due to the bid situation. If Bob has been with the company for 5 years and basically does just the very bare needed to get the job done he still go the better shift over someone who has been there 4 years who goes above and beyond every single day. It can lead to a "Just do enough to get the job done, extra work doesn't really pay off"

Also with the Unions it is practically impossible to get rid of bad employees. There was this one worker who should have been fired 5 times over. She was kept around just because the Union fought to keep her around.

So you get the good with the bad. I would do a lot of research into the Union you are thinking about joining. Some are better than others. Like at Disney the Teamster were also there for the entertainment people. Their Union was strong and normally came out a head for their cast members. Unite seemed ok but sometimes didn't really feel like victories as much as the teamsters seem to get for their people.
  • ax0n01
    2385 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    @ Yukon, you're Canadian? i thought u were Alaskan. lol. i would love to be a knee busting Teamster tho. 8)

work didn't let me access the forum for like an hour, so i think i need a union.

but on the real, i think i make way, way over the market value at my job. esp. as a 1st year employee. i'm a damn good secretary, but the only reason they're paying me so high is b/c they hope i stick around and move into another position in the business that we run. my co-workers don't know that. we could use more vacationtime/sick time and better benefits. but there's also alot of disrespect and unfairness from the bosses and other employees we support administratively.

so i'll look into it more. thanx all.
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    ax0n01 wrote:
    @ Yukon, you're Canadian? i thought u were Alaskan. lol. i would love to be a knee busting Teamster tho. 8)

work didn't let me access the forum for like an hour, so i think i need a union.

but on the real, i think i make way, way over the market value at my job. esp. as a 1st year employee. i'm a damn good secretary, but the only reason they're paying me so high is b/c they hope i stick around and move into another position in the business that we run. my co-workers don't know that. we could use more vacationtime/sick time and better benefits. but there's also alot of disrespect and unfairness from the bosses and other employees we support administratively.

That's why I'm Yukongirl123 not Alaskagirl123 :lol:

I do live about 100 miles from Skagway AK though..
  • MISTER ZOMBEE
    4694 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    ax0n01 wrote:

It's all cold snow and maple syrup to us down in the states. :wink:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    ax0n01 wrote:

Okay then..just as long as you're not stereotyping :roll:
  • MISTER ZOMBEE
    4694 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    ax0n01 wrote:

chinchatbuzz002.png

Hey! You have a Walmart!
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    ax0n01 wrote:

chinchatbuzz002.png

Hey! You have a Walmart!

Shouldn't there be something about dog sleds and canoes too? :roll:

...and there's a Walmart everywhere, even the in Yukon! :lol:
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited January 2015
    no walmarts in nyc :P
  • MISTER ZOMBEE
    4694 posts Member
    edited January 2015

:lol:

Canadian-Stereotypes-4.jpg

This looks awesome. :wink:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited January 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:
    no walmarts in nyc :P

I'm sure there is one or two in NY state though... :roll:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited January 2015

:lol:

Canadian-Stereotypes-4.jpg

This looks awesome. :wink:

People here just take their snowmachine through the drive through at Timmies. Really...
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!