Signed up for my first half marathon!

Prev13

Replies

• mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Super psyched about it. It's going to be on June 6th and is, like, a huge event around the area.

Now it just needs to warm up so I can train. :lol:

Good luck I did one of those once & once was enough it was a long way :shock: :lol:

Thank you, stingray.

@Taz: indeed it is. I had been debating on signing up for months, but decided to give it a try.

Did you start out with a 5 or 10k or did you jump right into running a half? :lol:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Super psyched about it. It's going to be on June 6th and is, like, a huge event around the area.

Good luck I did one of those once & once was enough it was a long way :shock: :lol:

Thank you, stingray.

@Taz: indeed it is. I had been debating on signing up for months, but decided to give it a try.

Did you start out with a 5 or 10k or did you jump right into running a half? :lol:

It was way back in the 80's. full 1/2 marathon. I was still smoking and I did no training I just went for it as a bet with my mates. I won the bet. But I suffered for about 2 weeks after :lol:

:shock:

Smoking and no training?!

I'm sure losing the best was worth it if they wanted to give you a good tease. :lol:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Good foryou Matt! I'll be doing my first one this year too. What have you done for training so far?
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:

Thank you, stingray.

It was way back in the 80's. full 1/2 marathon. I was still smoking and I did no training I just went for it as a bet with my mates. I won the bet. But I suffered for about 2 weeks after :lol:

I'm sure losing the best was worth it if they wanted to give you a good tease. :lol:

I won the bet. I ran it in 2 1/2 hours so as no training wasn't a bad time either. :lol:

Definitely not. They have a cut off of a 14 minute mile. They posted about 4 hours after it starts, they'd be shutting it down. Fine by me as I can definitely do a mile under 14 minutes.

My only goal: finish! :lol:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Good foryou Matt! I'll be doing my first one this year too. What have you done for training so far?

Woohoo!

Nothing so far... too cold. :lol:

The committee sponsoring the race has a schedule I'll be following, which won't start until March, so I have some time to let the weather get warmer.
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:

Woohoo!

The committee sponsoring the race has a schedule I'll be following, which won't start until March, so I have some time to let the weather get warmer.

Do you run regularly on a treadmill or indoor track? Or any kind of cross training?
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Tazzy452 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:

Thank you, stingray.

I won the bet. I ran it in 2 1/2 hours so as no training wasn't a bad time either. :lol:

Definitely not. They have a cut off of a 14 minute mile. They posted about 4 hours after it starts, they'd be shutting it down. Fine by me as I can definitely do a mile under 14 minutes.

My only goal: finish! :lol:

I really wish you lick Matt. I hope you do finish. :thumbup:

Thanks. Although I may not be around here much that day. Will be too busy sleeping afterwards. :lol:

I'll definitely let you know how it goes!
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:

Woohoo!

Do you run regularly on a treadmill or indoor track? Or any kind of cross training?

I typically run outside on our country roads. Living in a rural area makes it easy for me.

When warmer, I would run about 16 miles/ week when I trained for my first 2 5ks. I didn't crosstrain, but I will for my half. I'm thinking of biking.

Have you ran any races before? What's your plan? When's your race?

You are now officially my running buddy. We'll keep each other motivated. :P
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    No wi now why your name is Matt runs! Haha. Never thought of it that way. Nice one! Have fun training! I love running. Go out at least 3 times a week and my first match will be the 1st of March! :D
  • henpot7514
    6011 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Matt, you runs?? :lol:

Good on you! I've been wanting to do that for a while but would defo need to start with a 5 or 10K.

Hope the training goes well! Remember, plasters on your n.ipples!

And good luck to you too Elian!
  • brandonl1226
    5831 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    This might be a little off-topic but I'm excited this year because as part of one of my units for this semester, we have to train people who are participating in one of the charity marathons we have here. It's part of "Sport Psychology" so we have to talk to them as well about stuff but it should be good to see how good we are as trainers :wink:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    No wi now why your name is Matt runs! Haha. Never thought of it that way. Nice one! Have fun training! I love running. Go out at least 3 times a week and my first match will be the 1st of March! :D

:lol:

Crazy, right?

@Brandon: that should be exciting as well. That sounds like something I'd enjoy: feeling accomplished by helping someone else accomplish something as tough as running.
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    This might be a little off-topic but I'm excited this year because as part of one of my units for this semester, we have to train people who are participating in one of the charity marathons we have here. It's part of "Sport Psychology" so we have to talk to them as well about stuff but it should be good to see how good we are as trainers :wink:

You could be our online trainer Brandon... :mrgreen:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015

Just no weird protein drinks, please. :P
  • Jblue8298
    7994 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    good for you :D

tumblr_mkpx8a1WIQ1rhbebyo2_250.gif
  • mr_skeltal_80
    18123 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Yeah, let Brandon make out training program! :lol:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:

Thank you.

I never knew we had so many runners here. :mrgreen:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:

So kale, avocado and raw egg smoothies are out? :lol:
  • Jblue8298
    7994 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Jblue8298 wrote:

Thank you.

I never knew we had so many runners here. :mrgreen:
    I'm more Dylan Moran in this scenario :lol:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:

So kale, avocado and raw egg smoothies are out? :lol:

You forgot the tequila. Tequila would go well in a protein drink, right?

RIGHT?! :lol:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing, Yukon. Most "protein drinks" I've heard of include raw egg. Heaven knows why... blech!
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!