EA Forums - Banner

Switching between multiple accounts

Good suggestion. :mrgreen:
Some updates ago this was possible on android devices, but not anymore. I hope they bring this function back to both android and ios :-)

Replies

• lyle_catcliffe
    1266 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Debatable whether EA would want such convenience seeing how owning multiple towns is a terrible strain on the servers.
  • Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited February 2015
    I highly doubt EA would do this. Although on the other hand if someone has 5 accs linked and one gets banned for whatever reason the other 4 would be banned as well. So guess depending on how you look at it since very rarely dose that happen it would probably be more in EA favor by NOT having this feature. If you think about it there's probably me any sheeple that don't even know they can make alt towns.
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Debatable whether EA would want such convenience seeing how owning multiple towns is a terrible strain on the servers.

I respectfully disagree. :)

The strain on the server does not occur until the town is loaded. Rendering the images is the stress-inducer. That's why when lots of people log in simultaneously, the servers are more likely to crash or lag. During special events with lots of animation it is the worst. At those times, everyone who loads their town is also streaming all the falling leaves, snow, fog, etc. But only when they load their town, which is why that spinning donut goes for so much longer for a large elaborate town than a small one.

For each town, EA servers only store lines of code. Code for each town telling the servers which images to load when the town loads.

For instance, EA doesn't store millions of copies of the Town Hall image on their servers. They have lines of code that, when I log in, renders their stored image of Town Hall on a certain spot in my town. That's why when they resized Helter Shelter and changed the rose bushes, our towns all showed the same thing. We all point to their stored image.

If I LOAD multiple towns, then I'm stressing their servers. OP is talking about switching between towns, so only one would be open at a time. It doesn't matter how many towns he has. In fact, EA is delighted at the knowledge that if an individual wants Barney in 2 of his towns, they're gonna sell 500 donuts to the same guy. ;)

Just sayin'. :)

USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • LPNintendoITA
    11661 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    the pictures of the images are actually in our phones. what you download includes also all models
    My Youtube and Twitch / WikiSimpons Current Event Page and Discord
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    the pictures of the images are actually in our phones. what you download includes also all models

I had no idea. So, the image changes for Helter Shelter are part of an update, and my images on my device are swapped? Then when I log out of one town, it synchronizes, and the server still only changes the lines of code for that town until I reopen it?
  • wadebear
    4183 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Your town and all the animations are rendered on your device. All the images are stored in your device. The EA servers only hold a database of what you have and where it's positioned on the grid map of your town. All databases are updated automatically with built in timers. If your game is not open on your device the server isn't doing anything but checking time codes, changing statuses, and sending out push notifications.

When your game is open: Every time you do something in the game on your device a message is sent to the servers. Example: Homer start task 'Get Stuck in Chimney' (in code of course). Then when a timer hits zero for something - example: Wolfcastle Mansion regenerate money - it sends your device a message to display a $ over the Wolfcastle Mansion.

Server overload happens when thousands of people all log in at the same time and start taqpping. Like every 4 hours (or whatever) when all my characters end their tasks and get handshakes, so I start tapping them out along with all the buildings that have generated money, then I assign tasks...

That's why the game has been much more stable lately - a lot of players have been slacking off because they don't realize there's an event going on.. I've hardly had any crashes at all except during the peak tapping times (wakeup, after school, after work...). I've only been having to reset my network about once a day for the past week.

• wadebear
    4183 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    [Then when I log out of one town, it synchronizes, and the server still only changes the lines of code for that town until I reopen it?
    Actually, it loads the database table for that town. The Neighborhood (and Krustyland) are actually separate programs. If you'll look carefully when you first enter Krustyland you'll see that your available characters don't appear until everything else has loaded. I've not been able to assign tasks to characters because I tapped so quickly on the taskbook icon that the character needed hadn't loaded yet.
  • Skyrim-mrp
    2457 posts
    edited February 2015
    or maybe have good old save slots system.....password protected :mrgreen:
    ALTTP_File_Select.png
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited February 2015
    Why would anyone want more then one town? I spend too much time keeping one up to date. And I have to say if they are used as 'friends' during events to gain whatever points are being collected it's slightly pathetic. :lol::lol:
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Why would anyone want more then one town? I spend too much time keeping one up to date. And I have to say if they are used as 'friends' during events to gain whatever points are being collected it's slightly pathetic. :lol::lol:

It may be pathetic to you but it's a smart move for them. Besides the handshakes and event currency they generate they can use the feeder towns for helping with designs, seeing if they like how x works in one spot but not in another spot before creating the final design in their main town 8)
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Skyrim-mrp wrote:
    or maybe have good old save slots system.....password protected :mrgreen:
    ALTTP_File_Select.png

Haha :lol:

Hopefully a little more up to date than that pic :lol:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • HWick_Bluenose
    882 posts
    edited February 2015
    efin98 wrote:

It may be pathetic to you but it's a smart move for them. Besides the handshakes and event currency they generate they can use the feeder towns for helping with designs, seeing if they like how x works in one spot but not in another spot before creating the final design in their main town 8)

Which assumes they have all the content in both towns and a broadly similar layout? The real reasons are most likely to generate income as you say (peanuts though) and exploit things like the stacking glitch when they happen (almost certainly)? Seems most likely to me. :wink:
  • annettemarc
    7747 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    efin98 wrote:

Which assumes they have all the content in both towns and a broadly similar layout? The real reasons are most likely to generate income as you say (peanuts though) and exploit things like the stacking glitch when they happen (almost certainly)? Seems most likely to me. :wink:

They're also a good solution for those who realize they don't have enough stability in their schedule to be a reliable neighbor to real people relying on them to visit or to keep their town clear, but would still like to play at least the questlines and some design aspects on days that they find they have playtime. A little money from occasional visits helps. And during events they can get a few of the prizes. Most of us know to limit our commitments to as many neighbors as we can be good neighbors to. They know that number is very low. The feeders let them fill gaps.

There's no thread in the "Add me" section that says "looking for neighbors who hardly ever visit or clear their towns". ;)
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.