• jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    efin98 wrote:
    jae_bazz wrote:
    efin98 wrote:
    jae_bazz wrote:
    eltoncc wrote:
    I put on my wooden shoes every morning to pick tulips. In the afternoon I work at the local wind mill. Evenings are reserved for drinking Heineken and smoking a joint.

We must be neighbours.
    *packing an emergency travel bag to move to elian & elton's neighborhood*

I'm not too fussed about the traditions of the place I currently live, but growing up we had lots of traditions that centered around making fun of people from Massachussetts. :mrgreen::wink::lol:

Western Mass folks or we city folks? :mrgreen:
    Oh you city folk. (I'm from VT). We even had a special name for you that almost certainly won't clear the forum filter. :mrgreen:

I know exactly what it is :wink: I expected that from a Maine or New Hampshire people but Vermonters are usually nicer than that :shock: :lol::mrgreen:
    :lol: we mostly only bust it out when y'all bring your smoggy SUVs up & drive very slowly down back roads where the posted speed limit is 35 but the unofficial speed limit is 65 or 70. ;) Foliage season is the worst. :mrgreen:
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited February 2015
    I was reading an article about nyc things so I didn't actually have to think :wink: and I thought this was a really funny, and oh so true tradition:

New Yorkers (and imported New Yorkers) play this train game I like to call the "Look As Unimpressed As Possible" game. This is how it works: Really crazy * happens around you all the time in the bowels of the earth, aka the subway, and it's your job as a citizen of this Gotham-esque city to act as unaffected as humanly possible. Say you're on the train and some Cirque-du-Soleil level b-boy crew starts breaking and spinning like mothaeffing tops and they're really just going for it. Practically Olympians. Your response: These guys? Please. And that man openly clipping his toenails next to the pregnant woman? Happens all the time. That guy wearing a live snake as a necklace? YAWN. Boo-ring. Next?
  • jae_bazz
    5730 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:
    I was reading an article about nyc things so I didn't actually have to think :wink: and I thought this was a really funny, and oh so true tradition:

New Yorkers (and imported New Yorkers) play this train game I like to call the "Look As Unimpressed As Possible" game. This is how it works: Really crazy * happens around you all the time in the bowels of the earth, aka the subway, and it's your job as a citizen of this Gotham-esque city to act as unaffected as humanly possible. Say you're on the train and some Cirque-du-Soleil level b-boy crew starts breaking and spinning like mothaeffing tops and they're really just going for it. Practically Olympians. Your response: These guys? Please. And that man openly clipping his toenails next to the pregnant woman? Happens all the time. That guy wearing a live snake as a necklace? YAWN. Boo-ring. Next?
    Never have I felt more like a country bumpkin than on the subway in NYC. :lol:
  • eltoncc
    550 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    jae_bazz wrote:
    eltoncc wrote:
    I put on my wooden shoes every morning to pick tulips. In the afternoon I work at the local wind mill. Evenings are reserved for drinking Heineken and smoking a joint.

We must be neighbours.
    *packing an emergency travel bag to move to elian & elton's neighborhood*

I'm not too fussed about the traditions of the place I currently live, but growing up we had lots of traditions that centered around making fun of people from Massachussetts. :mrgreen::wink::lol:

You're welcome to drop by :wink:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Here in the Hoosier state we have a tradition of boarded up businesses and lack of job development.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:

I love playing this game when I'm down there, it's even more fun when you are the person they are trying to not look at :lol::mrgreen:
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:

Tough as nails, blue. :wink:

Always wanted to visit NYC just for the fact of it's completely different than my life here. It's mostly farms and hay fields here.
  • annettemarc
    7720 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    We have the occasional earthquake here. After earthquakes, major freeways have a bad habit of falling down. (This one was enroute to my job at the time, about 3 miles from our house.)

2015021209185700.jpg

The whole town joins in an exciting game called "Let's see how many routes we can find to get to work without freeways." Most creative one I saw was a guy taking a shortcut across a big open field. Apparently a Back to the Future fan. ("Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads."). So many cars followed him that the city put a temporary road there. :)
    USA/UK Race To Throw Country Into Utter Chaos = TOO CLOSE TO CALL
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited February 2015
    this is one of my least favorite traditions :?

Everyone's rude because the last three people in a row were rude to her, so consequently she is in a foul mood toward you and becomes one of YOUR three rude people, which makes you rude. Call it paying it forward.

@matt, it's fun to visit, because then you get to go home afterwards :lol:
  • yukongirl123
    15179 posts Member
    edited February 2015
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    We have the occasional earthquake here. After earthquakes, major freeways have a bad habit of falling down. (This one was enroute to my job at the time, about 3 miles from our house.)

2015021209185700.jpg

The whole town joins in an exciting game called "Let's see how many routes we can find to get to work without freeways." Most creative one I saw was a guy taking a shortcut across a big open field. Apparently a Back to the Future fan. ("Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads."). So many cars followed him that the city put a temporary road there. :)

:shock:

I'd be terrified.
  • johnny50373
    2767 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Our oldest tradition is probably electing and then re-electing crappy politicians that love to give my beloved home state a black eye every chance they get. :(
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:

Everyone's rude because the last three people in a row were rude to her, so consequently she is in a foul mood toward you and becomes one of YOUR three rude people, which makes you rude. Call it paying it forward.

IF I ever visit, I'll make sure to look you up so you can be my bodyguard. I'll need someone to yell obscenities at the crazy people while I'm huddled on the ground in a fetal position. :lol:
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited February 2015
    This made me so nervous when I lived there. You can be in a great new building that can stand most earthquakes, but if it hits while you're on the freeway you're in bad shape, and you spend so much time on those freeways too.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited February 2015

...are you one of the club's members? :shock:
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Jblue8298 wrote:

IF I ever visit, I'll make sure to look you up so you can be my bodyguard. I'll need someone to yell obscenities at the crazy people while I'm huddled on the ground in a fetal position. :lol:
    haha I don't think I've ever yelled an obscenity in my life, I may not be a very good bodyguard
  • direwolf987
    7465 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:
    This made me so nervous when I lived there. You can be in a great new building that can stand most earthquakes, but if it hits while you're on the freeway you're in bad shape, and you spend so much time on those freeways too.

I could see that being freaky. There is no real indication it's going to happen, if I remember correctly. We only have to worry about tornado's here and they can be pretty easily avoided unless on developed directly above you.

One tradition we have around he is completely forgetting how to drive in the snow. Even though it's cold 4 months out of the year, people forget that snow and ice are slick.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Jblue8298 wrote:

Whatever you do, don't use an elevator from the street to a train station...learned that the hard way.
  • mattruns84
    2819 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Jblue8298 wrote:

I could see that being freaky. There is no real indication it's going to happen, if I remember correctly. We only have to worry about tornado's here and they can be pretty easily avoided unless on developed directly above you.

One tradition we have around he is completely forgetting how to drive in the snow. Even though it's cold 4 months out of the year, people forget that snow and ice are slick.

Definitely this too. No wonder why we have so many accidents. :roll:

There's a foot of snow on the ground and it's drifting, do you really need to go the speed limit? :?
  • Jblue8298
    7993 posts New member
    edited February 2015
    efin98 wrote:
    mattruns84 wrote:
    Jblue8298 wrote:

Whatever you do, don't use an elevator from the street to a train station...learned that the hard way.
    I can only imagine the horrors awaiting you in there

Jim-From-Office-Shiver.gif
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!