EA Forums - Banner

Donuts or Doughnuts?

Prev134
DOUGHNUTS! /end thread ya filthy heathens!

Replies

• dominic115
    938 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    If you are English like me it is doughnuts, but for you short-word Americans it's donut.
  • HsueEEE
    233 posts
    edited December 2012
    dominic115 wrote:
    If you are English like me it is doughnuts, but for you short-word Americans it's donut.

and if your an internet user, you like turtles. :lol:
  • dominic115
    938 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    HsueEEE wrote:
    dominic115 wrote:

and if your an internet user, you like turtles. :lol:

ofc :D
  • rainwoo66
    38 posts
    edited December 2012
    1. Donuts is the American spelling.
    2. "The Simpsons" is an American TV show.
    3. "Donuts" is what's used in the show and the game (unless there's a British English version of the game that uses doughnuts).

Donuts. Deal with it.

But yeah, American and English spelling differences are funny.
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    rainwoo66 wrote:
    3. "Donuts" is what's used in the show and the game (unless there's a British English version of the game that uses doughnuts).

Donuts. Deal with it.

No, I will not "deal with it"! You Americans are bastardizing the English language! :evil:
  • dominic115
    938 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    rainwoo66 wrote:

Donuts. Deal with it.

I digress, you are trying to force donuts into everyone's brain, you don't see me screaming at you colour is the correct spelling, I know the game is American and they use the spelling donut however I am English and when talking about it will spell it correctly as an englishmen, doughnut.
  • Glock23D
    142 posts
    edited December 2012
    rainwoo66 wrote:

Donuts. Deal with it.

No, I will not "deal with it"! You Americans are bastardizing the English language! :evil:

I understand u, that's how we portuguese feel when we see on a game: portuguese or portuguese (portugal)
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
  • MoopsDude
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    2357726492_a2cdd2c733.jpg
    Yes, THAT MoopsDude

I GRIND, It’s what I do
  • NeoSEC28
    39616 posts
    edited December 2012
    MoopsDude wrote:
    2357726492_a2cdd2c733.jpg

I'm sure the Simpsons did go to England lol
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • qisg
    47 posts
    edited December 2012
    Doh! Nuts.
  • MoopsDude
    328 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    They did, that is true.
    Yes, THAT MoopsDude

I GRIND, It’s what I do
  • itsmedanshep
    565 posts
    edited December 2012
    rainwoo66 wrote:

Donuts. Deal with it.

I wouldn't say donuts is the American spelling. I use donuts on here, although if you follow Associated Press style (I'm in journalism), it would be doughnuts.
  • rdee22
    77 posts
    edited December 2012
    Pssssh who wants to speak the queens English
  • melodyhodge
    1691 posts
    edited December 2012
    I write donuts because I am lazy. Also, it just looks better than 'doughnuts'. Homer wouldn't eat a doughnut.
  • dromtsul
    1169 posts
    edited December 2012
    While it's an American thing, it's not the American spelling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut#Etymology
  • peruhomer
    1325 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    dromtsul wrote:
    While it's an American thing, it's not the American spelling.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doughnut#Etymology

Good work. Wikipedia top trumps all other considerations and so the correct answer is doughnuts and there is no longer any need for this poll. You may of course continue to use the word donut but you do need to be aware that when doing so you are in fact wrong.
  • caprici424
    300 posts
    edited December 2012

Yup, doughnuts all the way! Donuts is a bastardization, and is fine in contexts that use that spelling (i.e., I use "donuts" to talk about the premium currency here because that's how they're spelled in the show/game.).

See here: http://grammarist.com/spelling/doughnut-donut/
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Doughnuts everywhere but here and when I first started posting here I had to keep editing my post to change it to donuts.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/doughnut-donut/
    The dictionary-approved spelling for the ring-shaped cake made of dough and fried in fat is doughnut. The shortened donut has been around since the late 1800s, but it wasn’t popularized until the late 20th century, when the successful American doughnut chain Dunkin’ Donuts made it ubiquitous. Today, writers outside the U.S. still favor doughnut by a wide margin. Donut appears about a third of the time in published American writing.

Donut is a simpler spelling, so it may grow even more common now that it has a foothold. Those of us who don’t wish to help Dunkin’ Donuts’s branding would be wise to resist the trend, though.
  • lissarv68
    5588 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    caprici424 wrote:

Yup, doughnuts all the way! Donuts is a bastardization, and is fine in contexts that use that spelling (i.e., I use "donuts" to talk about the premium currency here because that's how they're spelled in the show/game.).

See here: http://grammarist.com/spelling/doughnut-donut/

LOL!!! Great minds! We went to the same place at pretty much the same time, how funny. While I was still trying to figure out how to paste...you were posting.
  • H1_ROADBLOK
    2884 posts Member
    edited December 2012
    Dunkin' Doughnuts! ... FTFY
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!