EA Forums - Banner

EA, why are you so insistent on chance elements in events?

Prev13
Just two weeks ago people were complaining that this game was boring without having something to do. Then they give us exactly what we want- something to do during an event. Never mind that what is involved is giving us items for doing actions we need to do anyway, never mind it's proportional so that you are guaranteed to earn the least frequently given items every time you tap on them(every 4 hours for capes, every 12 hours with convicts)...

Replies

• gypcandrews
    114 posts
    edited February 2015
    Thank you efin98....well said indeed!
  • Chivalrous42
    417 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Actually, this is very intentional on EA's part because randomness is one of the factors that increase your/our addiction.

This article has a lot of fun info on the subject. This particular point is under "#3. Making You Press the Lever."
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18461_5-creepy-ways-video-games-are-trying-to-get-you-addicted.html

Happy tapping. Enjoy your fix. :D
  • mwdalton
    11548 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    moarku wrote:
    Actually, this is very intentional on EA's part because randomness is one of the factors that increase your/our addiction.

This article has a lot of fun info on the subject. This particular point is under "#3. Making You Press the Lever."

Happy tapping. Enjoy your fix. :D

Quoted without the link to the Cracked article, great website, but had to hide the post, no outside links, please. Thanks,
  • Chivalrous42
    417 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Sorry, didn't know that rule. Won't do it again.

Is it ok to say something like, "Google an article on Cracked.com called [blah blah blah] for more info?"

• Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited February 2015
    Dear folks at EA,

You know, this current event has been really fun. I have loved having Plopper and his farting crap silo in my town. I thought tapping the dudes in black was fun. The rainbow wigs on the dudes in black was cute! I have enjoyed the rewards you gave us for visiting all of our neighbors, rather than only rewarding us for the first 20 or 30. This has been one of my top 3 events since I started playing 2.5 years ago. It rewarded us for playing, the more frequently we played, the faster we were able to get rewards. I enjoyed the extra donut reward after I finished Issue 1 early.

Now we are in Issue 2. The Krusty skin is neat and I am happy to have another couple of buildings to add to my town. This has been a great event. And then you threw the collector element in there... Really? Was it necessary? I love tapping the dudes in black, but now I get to hope that I am "given" enough of some element to win new items like buildings and such.

Did you think the event would be less successful if there wasn't some chance based element in there? This chance based element made the Treehouse of Horror 2014 event less fun. Why so you insist on having chance based elements in events? Speaking for myself, I would MUCH rather have events where we won prizes based on how hard we worked rather than throwing a chance element in. So, if for some reason I don't get enough capes, I may miss out on a prize, but I am drowning in useless telephones or lockpickers.

I know you put a lot of effort into these events and this event was a blast. I would enjoy the event more if you would stop trying to insist that we really want this chance based element. I see nothing positive about it. You are going to end up with unhappy people who play a lot but end up missing out on a prize that they really want because luck was not with them and they were not able to get a prize, despite of the hard work they put into this event.

Can we possibly go back to the way events were run in 2013 and 2013? Before the Christmas 2013 wheel? Events like THOH 2012 were fun. Christmas 2012 was fun. Whacking day was rough, but fun!

Thanks for this event.
    finaly someone who noticed that the crafting system is a wheel in disguise, i noticed this back in halloween with the bags that gave random treats, another wheel in disguise.
  • Snakeyees
    2320 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    I had zero problems at Halloween Got everything free, in fact got 2 spooky houses, 2 pumpkin houses List goes on and on. you need to Prioritize whats important in your life. In my life Video games are very important its my passion and my hobby and my professional career. ( I repair arcade machines)

People Like the OP have the right to their opinion but so do I. with that said I Love video games and played almost every MMO on the market. But one thing that bugs me is Casual gamers they want what everybody else has but they not willing to earn it. So Many MMO's are so casual friendly now they just stink. LOTRO (Lord of the rings online) is one of them. I Was a Heavy raider,. but over the course of 3 years that company has made the entire game a face roll. so i don't play it and you know where it went wrong casual gamers.

If i wanted to play a Linear Console game and have everything spoon-fed to me i would buy a Play Crap (AKA Play station) I like challenges in video games it sets other Gamers apart. My town will look unique because of the effort I'm willing to put into these events versus other people who have more important things in their life than a video game. that is why they give you the option to use all that money you make at those boring jobs and you too can have all the items.

But coming here and voicing your opinion ( tho you most certainly have the right) and asking EA to change the entire game based on your desired play style is unfair to the rest of us that like it this way by far this is the best event this game has ever had i have been here since before whacking day.

I'm having a blast i will admit at sometimes it can get a bit frustrating to not get the item but if you keep plugging away at it you can to have it all.
  • roshigoth1
    1601 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    I agree with the OP - random chance in events is annoying. In this case, it's not game-breaking, but it really doesn't do anything to make it more fun. At least to me, and I know I'm not alone. And no, I haven't missed out on anything so far as a result of the random chance (other than Easter, but I was so new there was no chance of getting anything there).

As for the comments about needing a "challenge" to the game... random chance is not a "challenge." There's no challenge to this; it's just plunking away at things over and over until you get lucky enough times. A challenge would be something that tests your skill, or at least your perseverance (a la Whacking Day).

I've come to accept that they're never going to give it up. However, that doesn't mean I won't push back every time it comes up.
  • teo47
    944 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    The crafting system is NOT chance based because in the long run all players will receive each crafting item with the same frequency, even though each individual tap might have a random outcome. It's like tossing a coin 1000 times - even though you can't predict what the outcome of your next toss will be, you can predict with a high degree of certainty that over your 1000 tosses you will observe very close to 500 heads and 500 tails.

The crafting system isn't anywhere near as chance based as the wheels were! EA is giving us exactly what we asked for - the ability to earn currency at a known rate and also the ability to decide for ourselves which items we want to prioritize.
    New neighbors always welcome!
  • Zafobi
    49 posts
    edited February 2015
    teo47 wrote:
    The crafting system is NOT chance based because in the long run all players will receive each crafting item with the same frequency, even though each individual tap might have a random outcome. It's like tossing a coin 1000 times - even though you can't predict what the outcome of your next toss will be, you can predict with a high degree of certainty that over your 1000 tosses you will observe very close to 500 heads and 500 tails.

The crafting system isn't anywhere near as chance based as the wheels were! EA is giving us exactly what we asked for - the ability to earn currency at a known rate and also the ability to decide for ourselves which items we want to prioritize.

In this case a 10 sided coin :P.

Thursday when i got collector I was furious with the having to be lucky enough to find lockpicks. 4th day into collecting I am halfway to the Times, with more than enough time to get at least 1 of each building. It's the having to collect for 7 days to get (almost) the most costly building (times) that creates an anxiety of "we don't have enough time" as of now there's another 14 days after the 7 for the highest costing building. Maybe itll take 8 or 9 days, still over half + a handful more days after the times building to get the rest.

This event is still number one in my books, only been playing for 7 months, but all in all this is just one persons opinion.

Chin up and play on, save all complaints for March 31st, I guarantee you'll feel different about this in 3 days.
  • Nitemare-rexx
    541 posts
    edited February 2015
    Zafobi wrote:
    teo47 wrote:

In this case a 10 sided coin :P.

Thursday when i got collector I was furious with the having to be lucky enough to find lockpicks. 4th day into collecting I am halfway to the Times, with more than enough time to get at least 1 of each building. It's the having to collect for 7 days to get (almost) the most costly building (times) that creates an anxiety of "we don't have enough time" as of now there's another 14 days after the 7 for the highest costing building. Maybe itll take 8 or 9 days, still over half + a handful more days after the times building to get the rest.

This event is still number one in my books, only been playing for 7 months, but all in all this is just one persons opinion.

Chin up and play on, save all complaints for March 31st, I guarantee you'll feel different about this in 3 days. it
    it is luck based, computers work by making "randomnization" by makeing it select a dixed value at every one millionth of a second (there was a whole talk in class [when i was still in school] how compujters were created to be uniform and they can only be "random" to a point they do what im trying to explain) they go by millionths of a second, lets say you were able to time it exactly at 0.938385 seconds every time you open a homer buddha and it gives 60 doughnuts, if you were able to time it exactly there every result would be 60 doughnuts and you would and could get lots of doughnuts without wasteing rl money. it worked the same way on the wheels, the trick Or treat bags, and the chance of whatever crafint materials we get this event. so if you getting garbage in mystery boxes, its your timing, this is not your fault thugh as humans cant time one millionth of a second to acive same results, i thught of programs that could maby time it at right time to get desired "random" everytime but i havent seen such a program for this, or any other game including games before IAP destoyed the old way of gaming, itsprobaly just too fast for any program to handle (or none simply thought of this).
  • Zafobi
    49 posts
    edited February 2015
    That's very interesting, mostly because (in 2009ish) I was told computers can't make a random number. Everything had to be implemented to be a certain way. As a staff member on a web based mmo I was able to see all the coding of (at the time) what I was told is the most random a computerized program could get. I am not engineered enough to quite understand the fundamental of the coding but in layman's term:

100 numbers; 1-5 = lockpick, 6 - 19 = arbitrarium 20 - 100 carbon rod / pie / freeze ray only.

The program choses the most random number possible still following an algorithm. I'm guessing programs have changed in the past 6 years but I can't help but to think all games work like this learning it for myself years ago.
  • teo47
    944 posts Member
    edited February 2015
    Zafobi wrote:
    That's very interesting, mostly because (in 2009ish) I was told computers can't make a random number. Everything had to be implemented to be a certain way. As a staff member on a web based mmo I was able to see all the coding of (at the time) what I was told is the most random a computerized program could get. I am not engineered enough to quite understand the fundamental of the coding but in layman's term:

100 numbers; 1-5 = lockpick, 6 - 19 = arbitrarium 20 - 100 carbon rod / pie / freeze ray only.

The program choses the most random number possible still following an algorithm. I'm guessing programs have changed in the past 6 years but I can't help but to think all games work like this learning it for myself years ago.

This is correct - computers can't be truly random. However, what computerized random number generators are called is pseudorandom, because although they aren't truly random the results the generator gives are indistinguishable from a truly random process.
    New neighbors always welcome!
  • Happycarlton
    196 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Hi,

Comparing the randomness of getting a lock from criminals to the 'pain' of the wheels in my view is absurd. The probability of getting some of the items was 1-2% while it is 10% to get a lock from a criminal and there are so many to tap each day.
    I got the Collector just over 1.5 days now and I am up to 52 locks. That is over 25 locks per day. To get one Zenith item each you need in total 175 locks after the 5 for the botanical gardens.
    With over 22 days left I will easily get the required locks plus more.
    I will get the locks required before the cuffs and capes which are not random based.
    The problem is perception - games all have chance elements, and even after such a short time the complaints start. It is synonymous with the immediacy syndrome- I must get it now.
    As time goes on, it will be the cuffs/capes that will prevent you getting numerous multiples, not the locks.
    Enjoy the game, and the items will come with a little effort.
  • efin98
    5856 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Let's do this realistically from a "every 4 hour" with a full 8 hour sleep tapper's perspective:

Every 4 hours you get a guaranteed cape and 3 lock picks

Every 12 hours you get a set of handcuffs, three capes, and 9 lock picks

Every 24 hours you get at least 60 phones, two sets of handcuffs, four capes, 12 lock picks.

Now over the course of the event with 24 days left you should have 288 lock picks, 1440 phones, 96 capes, and 48 handcuffs.

This means you earn the Times, two Lofts, at least two Apartments, and several phone booths.

That is on top of however much currency you earn from fighting the convicts, from the HQ, and from tapping criminals.

Now since this lasts the rest of the event it's not like you have to worry about time, just play as much as you can and you earn one of each. If you are lucky enough you can earn two of the non-unique ones...
  • smohqy
    2104 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Dear folks at EA,

You are going to end up with unhappy people...

Always.

This event is wonderful. A great combination of the best two types of event gameplay. There's still plenty of time to collect items for crafting, and the first half-ish was focused solely on tapping criminals and visiting Neighborinos. I love this event, and I feel bad for the devs at EA who have to hear/read these complaints after they did their damnedest to make this exciting, creative event fun for all players.

Again:
    Dear folks at EA,

You are going to end up with unhappy people...

Always.
  • KillaSqirl
    1763 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I think crafting is much better than the wheel. You get to choose your prizes and you dont get crap fences crammed in your inventory. The current version is much better than halloween. If you have lots of friends and log in three to four times a day you'll have plenty of lockpicks and phones but you'll still need to work on capes and handcuffs. Luck isn't really a factor at all. This thread just goes to prove you can't please everyone.
  • Zafobi
    49 posts
    edited March 2015
    I'm glad I was not around for the wheel, it sounds horrible.

At times I have tapped over 50 criminals and found 0 locks, I also have found close to 10 in less than an hour. With over 500 hours to go, EA probably wants to lower the drop rate. :P

If anything the predetermined 3 handcuffs max and 6 capes max every 24 hours (in which most people will miss at least 1 cap per day) should be more of an upset. You can only get so many without spending donuts; where as locks, theoretically you can get 200 in a day.

EA is basically rewarding those who played every day this event. If we all got the same prizes every event i would have nothing new or interesting to look at in neighbor towns. Plus who doesn't like having things others don't have? Lol
  • Cactusbunny
    115 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I like this event, might be the first one I actually get everything in (except premium stuff). The only thing I miss is a bit more storyline. :cry:
  • Igcognita
    1504 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    The wheel didn't bother me that much, neither did the Easter boxes, but this crafting seems like it's going to take a while. I think my drop rate is off, because I've barely collected anything in the 2 days I've had The Collector. But at least it's worth the effort, the prizes look great!
  • 07abesimpson
    35 posts
    edited March 2015
    So, if for some reason I don't get enough capes, I may miss out on a prize, but I am drowning in useless telephones or lockpickers.

Capes and handcuffs are not random since you get one every 4 hours from the HQ (cape) or defeating a felon. So this two are obtained by hard work. The other two are random based and as far as I can see you end up with tons of you can't use as the other two items are the limiting ones.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!