EA Forums - Banner

Zooming Out

Oh really? I have been complaining about this for years! And I'm not the only one!

Replies

• thatdonald845
    1606 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    This will be no help but I got a new device and everything looked massive. (android tablet) But I broke it so I have gone back to my less broken device. It zooms out so much the characters are smaller than ants. I really wonder how small the smallest screen on a phone is - and how small that looks.

I can hook this tablet up to a television screen and play on that. but it's over at the other side of the room. :cry:

• gorf202000750
    58 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I am using a Samsung Galaxy S4 with a 5 inch display. Here is a shot of the magnifying glass. Zoomed out completely I can't even get the whole thing on the screen.

QzZfbq3.jpg?2
  • delegg629524
    337 posts
    edited March 2015
    This will be no help but I got a new device and everything looked massive. (android tablet) But I broke it so I have gone back to my less broken device. It zooms out so much the characters are smaller than ants. I really wonder how small the smallest screen on a phone is - and how small that looks.

I can hook this tablet up to a television screen and play on that. but it's over at the other side of the room. :cry:

If only everyone had a less broken device to fall back on! And with all the starving fat kids in Alabama!
  • 4junk3000
    6342 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I really wish that EA would allow us to zoom out further. I own all land available and when scrolling from one side to the other it would be a hell of a lot easier if we could zoom out more. Also, some items are so large you can barely see the whole item on the screen. Am I the only one annoyed by this?

No, it's been discussed over and over and over. It is not EA that is restraining us.

To be able to zoom out farther, AND STILL HAVE FUNCTIONS LIKE TAPPING TO COLLECT, ANIMATIONS, ETC., we would need devices with significantly more RAM, and significantly faster data connections. The play field would have to be drawn at the same resolution as the closest zoom level, but at full width of the grid. Have you pieced together a full grid image? It's really, really big. Then add communication traffic for every "live" feature displaying all at once.

Give it a few years, the technology is evolving quickly. Google Fiber is coming out now. Mobile communication mfg's are working on standards for 5G now. But until then, our little devices simply cannot handle the file size of a complete town layout (>100Mb), nor can our typical data networks (~3-6mbps)

All my designs look unfinished because i can't place as many plants, streetlights, and fences as i would like. PLEASE REMOVE THE LIMIT, EA!
  • gorf202000750
    58 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for the info! :D
  • NeoSEC28
    39609 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    I would love to be able to zoom out more like what FG game does, whether we could tap/collect things doesnt bother me, to collect stuff we could zoom back in

What i would like is to be able to see all our town so i could take a screen shot without having to take loads and stitch them all together :roll:
    Volunteer EA Senior Moderator
  • denisewalks
    178 posts
    edited March 2015
    I would even be happy to be able to zoom out just to see what the whole town looks like even if I couldn't tap on anything.
  • maximbarne126
    3911 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Agreed! We need it like ****! :-)
  • ephphoneapps
    4070 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Don't see how this would make any difference to the game.
  • gorf202000750
    58 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    What i would like is to be able to see all our town so i could take a screen shot without having to take loads and stitch them all together :roll:

I'm doing this right now. It sucks. :-(
  • gorf202000750
    58 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    Don't see how this would make any difference to the game.

For me it would make it more enjoyable. It would be faster to get around and as stated previous, make it easier to post town pictures.
  • 4junk3000
    6342 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    NeoSEC28 wrote:
    I would love to be able to zoom out more like what FG game does, whether we could tap/collect things doesnt bother me, to collect stuff we could zoom back in

I agree completely. But, FG has a much smaller grid, and significantly fewer dynamic features, plus a much newer platform since it released later.

Now, they could set up this game to display a full STATIC image of our town. The catch would be, they'd have to implement an "instant screenshot" function to do this, for it to display an up to date image each time we requested it. That would be more resource intensive than you'd expect.

It would have to be done on the server side because mobile devices can't for reasons i described above. So you would probably not just zoom out to max, you'd select a "fullview" tool. That would request the full screen shot of the existing layout, and then it would have to be compressed, and then sent to your device.

Now, Imagine every time you request to zoom out and the game crashes because the request failed for some communication delay. You think you see the Bart screen a lot now, hoho!

Most data traffic is in very small packets. The full screen image, even compressed, would be a big file for their servers to be handling for the millions of players they have. Bandwidth is the limiting factor here. I doubt EA would justify the cost/benefit.

So, probably very unlikely to happen. Much more likely is incremental increases to land, and much more doable is an Area Select Tool like I've described in another thread. And even those, may not increase revenue projections enough to warrant their implementation either.
    All my designs look unfinished because i can't place as many plants, streetlights, and fences as i would like. PLEASE REMOVE THE LIMIT, EA!
  • JimJ321
    4206 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    A lot of these words confuse me. I do know I like tapping though.
  • vetteeater
    721 posts Member
    edited March 2015
    It has everything to do with the device and nothing to do with EA. My friend has an iPad 2 and I have iPad 4 and they zoom completely differently. It's set up to run smoothly on your device.
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.